Why is time not going as it should in the Tournament of Power?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why is time not going as it should in the Tournament of Power?

Post by Asura » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:42 pm

Dragon Ball has always been notorious for not making any sense of time, I don’t know how people are just now realizing this, especially with how prevalent the “5 minutes left until this planet explodes” meme is.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:05 am

Asura wrote:Dragon Ball has always been notorious for not making any sense of time, I don’t know how people are just now realizing this, especially with how prevalent the “5 minutes left until this planet explodes” meme is.
Anime (and manga) as a whole abuse the concept of time. JoJo's Bizarre Adventures is (in)famous for this with how Dio's Stand The World operates when its stops time.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:25 pm

Asura wrote:Dragon Ball has always been notorious for not making any sense of time, I don’t know how people are just now realizing this, especially with how prevalent the “5 minutes left until this planet explodes” meme is.
I don't see why people keep mentioning Freeza's "5 minutes".

IIRC, at one point, Freeza said that he was only at 1% of his power before he turned into his 100% powered-up form. Obviously he was exaggerating to try to throw Goku off. He's Freeza.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
I don't see why people keep mentioning Freeza's "5 minutes".

IIRC, at one point, Freeza said that he was only at 1% of his power before he turned into his 100% powered-up form. Obviously he was exaggerating to try to throw Goku off. He's Freeza.
If it was so obviously you wouldn't be the only one who came to this conclusion, don't you think? In the manga it's absolutely belivable that the fight took place in 5 minutes, but the anime had to create filler in order for the manga to be ahead. But it's a fact that in-universe it was roughly 5 minutes.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:59 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:If it was so obviously you wouldn't be the only one who came to this conclusion, don't you think?
Who's to say I'm the only one?
And even if I am, you're literally saying "You're the first person to come up with this idea, therefore it must be wrong."
That's a pretty thin argument, man; just because no one has thought of something before, doesn't mean it's false, or otherwise invalid.
Vegeta_Sama wrote:In the manga it's absolutely belivable that the fight took place in 5 minutes, but the anime had to create filler in order for the manga to be ahead. But it's a fact that in-universe it was roughly 5 minutes.
That's not a fact, that's an assumption. It "Feels" like it took 5 minutes. In the manga. Who's to say if that's true? If we're judging things just by what one person said, then how it roughly feels, you could go for a walk in the snow and be convinced it's -8 celsius, then come home and turn on the news to find out it's only -4, and it just feels colder because of the wind.
Point is, how something feels isn't admissable as a fact. What one guy said as an estimation before an event takes place isn't admissable as a fact. These two things working together aren't admissable as a fact; they're observations, and whether or not they're true is impossible to prove without anything more concrete.

Besides, a manga's telling of a story is just that, a manga's telling of a story. You're not seeing the story, you're seeing one point of view of that story. So, the manga might be showing you a vastly-accelerated version of events. Reading a reasonably dialogue-heavy page of manga will probably take you just a few seconds, maybe a minute, depending on your reading speed; on screen, the dialogue could take a good few minutes to deliver.

And again, remember, this is Freeza, and when he said his "5 minutes" thing, he was losing to Goku. Goku was pounding him into a bloody pulp; he was completely and utterly destroying him. The whole reason Freeza tried to destroy the planet was because Goku was winning.
So, is it completely and totally impossible that Freeza, one famous for deception, lied about his "5 minutes"?

I dunno about you, but I find it infinitely more believable that Freeza was just toying with Goku than it is that he would be able to just look at a planet and go "Oh, yeah, that's going to suddenly blow up precisely 300 seconds from now."
(Yes, I know you said "Roughly 5 minutes", but come on, he said "The planet will blow up in 5 minutes." If he was telling the truth, then -- at best, if that's a rough estimation -- he's probably giving a minute or two margin of error. That's still a pretty goddamn accurate prediction of how long until a planet suddenly goes boom. And this is all without factoring how long it would take Goku to get to Freeza's ship, fool with the controls, fail, then get into the Ginyu ship, etc.)

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:16 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:If it was so obviously you wouldn't be the only one who came to this conclusion, don't you think?
Who's to say I'm the only one?
And even if I am, you're literally saying "You're the first person to come up with this idea, therefore it must be wrong."
That's a pretty thin argument, man; just because no one has thought of something before, doesn't mean it's false, or otherwise invalid.
Vegeta_Sama wrote:In the manga it's absolutely belivable that the fight took place in 5 minutes, but the anime had to create filler in order for the manga to be ahead. But it's a fact that in-universe it was roughly 5 minutes.
That's not a fact, that's an assumption. It "Feels" like it took 5 minutes. In the manga. Who's to say if that's true? If we're judging things just by what one person said, then how it roughly feels, you could go for a walk in the snow and be convinced it's -8 celsius, then come home and turn on the news to find out it's only -4, and it just feels colder because of the wind.
Point is, how something feels isn't admissable as a fact. What one guy said as an estimation before an event takes place isn't admissable as a fact. These two things working together aren't admissable as a fact; they're observations, and whether or not they're true is impossible to prove without anything more concrete.

Besides, a manga's telling of a story is just that, a manga's telling of a story. You're not seeing the story, you're seeing one point of view of that story. So, the manga might be showing you a vastly-accelerated version of events. Reading a reasonably dialogue-heavy page of manga will probably take you just a few seconds, maybe a minute, depending on your reading speed; on screen, the dialogue could take a good few minutes to deliver.

And again, remember, this is Freeza, and when he said his "5 minutes" thing, he was losing to Goku. Goku was pounding him into a bloody pulp; he was completely and utterly destroying him. The whole reason Freeza tried to destroy the planet was because Goku was winning.
So, is it completely and totally impossible that Freeza, one famous for deception, lied about his "5 minutes"?

I dunno about you, but I find it infinitely more believable that Freeza was just toying with Goku than it is that he would be able to just look at a planet and go "Oh, yeah, that's going to suddenly blow up precisely 300 seconds from now."
(Yes, I know you said "Roughly 5 minutes", but come on, he said "The planet will blow up in 5 minutes." If he was telling the truth, then -- at best, if that's a rough estimation -- he's probably giving a minute or two margin of error. That's still a pretty goddamn accurate prediction of how long until a planet suddenly goes boom. And this is all without factoring how long it would take Goku to get to Freeza's ship, fool with the controls, fail, then get into the Ginyu ship, etc.)
You say you find it more belivable that Frieza was toying with Goku. What do you have to back up your claims? Just your assumptions. I belive Frieza gave a roughly accurate time limit. What do I have to back up my claims? Official Manga materiale written by the author, who gave no indication of this beign a bluff. Toriyama's not that subtle: if someone's bluffing we know. He's very direct and clear in his waiting. Even if he intended Frieza to lie, just to show off, he did a shitty job
Get Fucked, C_unt

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:44 pm

Robo4900 wrote:That's not a fact, that's an assumption.
Just like your assumption that Freeza only said 5 minutes to fuck with Goku, right?

And I agree with Vegeta-sama, it basically is a fact since it's said directly in the manga and anime that it's 5 minutes, and neither of them have any indication of Freeza bluffing. Your theory is headcanon and supported by basically no evidence.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:25 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:You say you find it more belivable that Frieza was toying with Goku. What do you have to back up your claims? Just your assumptions. I belive Frieza gave a roughly accurate time limit. What do I have to back up my claims? Official Manga materiale written by the author, who gave no indication of this beign a bluff. Toriyama's not that subtle: if someone's bluffing we know. He's very direct and clear in his waiting. Even if he intended Frieza to lie, just to show off, he did a shitty job
Asura wrote:Just like your assumption that Freeza only said 5 minutes to fuck with Goku, right?

And I agree with Vegeta-sama, it basically is a fact since it's said directly in the manga and anime that it's 5 minutes, and neither of them have any indication of Freeza bluffing. Your theory is headcanon and supported by basically no evidence.
The only place the "5 minutes" is ever stated is when Freeza says it.
In the manga's telling of events, there's no reason to doubt it, but no confirmation it's true.
In the anime's telling of events, "5 minutes" makes no sense, so what's more likely -- the space-time continuum has warped 5 minutes into an hour, or Freeza was lying?

Maybe the original intent of the manga was that he was telling the truth. Sure, that works. In the anime though, that wouldn't track. Hell, to my recollection, it doesn't track in Kai either; the scene between Freeza and Goku when Goku donates some extra energy after Freeza got chopped in half was probably 5 minutes alone.
The anime isn't exactly the poster child for preserving Toriyama's authorial intent precisely anyway; hell, there was one shot in the scene I just mentioned that directly contradicts Toriyama's intentions -- before Goku flies off, when he looks down at Freeza's remains after blasting him, while he simply looked rather stone-faced and annoyed in the anime, he looked genuinely sad and disappointed in the manga.
And ultimately, intent isn't really worth a damn when the execution resists that intent making any sense, like with the "5 minutes" thing.

In any case, I don't get why you guys are so aggressively resisting this; it's not that much of a stretch, and compared to what's being tossed around in this thread relating to the ToP's timings... Well, at least mine has a logic to it, and would make sense within the world, let's put it like that...

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:37 pm

The funny part is that we probably have way over 48 minutes of just dialogue since the ToP started. Are the characters also talking at superhuman speeds?

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:44 am

They're moving super fast and talking is a free action trope, as helpfully pointed out by this fellow user:
This means that fictional characters can talk in very small time-frames, the speed of speech is irrelevant

I mean nobody would say Superman and Flash a sub-sound speed because they can talk while fighting:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:13 pm

The Monkey King wrote:They're moving super fast and talking is a free action trope, as helpfully pointed out by this fellow user:
This means that fictional characters can talk in very small time-frames, the speed of speech is irrelevant.
There are some stories that try to come up with explanations to get around this, like having telepathy at super speed, or computers/robots talking to each other with data signals super fast. But for the most part stories involving super speed just ignore this problem and hope you won't notice.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:42 pm

I'll just quote an old post of mine:
JulieYBM wrote:Ah, shit, I forgot to point you in the direction of Beautiful Fighting Girl by psychiatrist Saitou Tamaki. There's a section of the book that discusses how Japanese stories make use of a phenomenon known as manpu, taken from koudan storytelling. In koudan, "time and space are grossly exaggerated according to the passion and expressivity of the characters."
"The koudan 'Kan'ei Sanbajutsu' (Horse-rising in the Kan'ei era), for example, is a long and extremely detailed description of how Magaki Heikurou climbs up a stone staircase on a horse. This kind of unlimited extension of a single privileged moment is typical of the atemporality of koudan storytelling..."
This sort of thing was typically done in gekiga comics, but then Nakajima Norihiro's Astro Kyuudan came around and decided to whip out its fifteen inch cock. アストロ球団 (Astro Kyuudan) is a 183 chapter comic that literally covers only one baseball game. Twenty collected volumes...two thousand pages-plus...only one baseball game. That's way bigger than anything Dragon Ball tries. And according to Saitou's book, with exception for a few raised eyebrows, Shounen JUMP readers had no problem with it. The comic lasted from 22 August 1972 to 01 June 1976. The closest I can think of is Bleach Chapters #237-422 covering a single day.

Ishinomori Shoutarou was a big fan of western films, so his comics would follow suit and match the 'consistent' speed of western films as part of its flow. Nagai Gou, however, was different. Nagai was different, he set what is now the standard of Japanese comics by having time no longer flow. Nagai had time contract and expand with the reader's subjective view point. Action scenes are draw with large panels and run for many pages. This is why Nagai's work seemed to be adapted more so into animation, rather than Ishinomori, who saw most of his works adapted into live action: Nagai's works have a sort of 'atemporality' to them.

I suggest picking up Beautiful Fighting Girl, not only for the information about koudan, but also how it delves into other aspects of Japanese comics, animation, characters, queer theory and Otaku sexuality.

EDIT: In this Twitter thread I tried taking photos of the pages I was referencing here. I couldn't type all of the information, so if you can somehow read these shoddy pictures you'll see what I was getting at with more information. I also suggest looking into kairological time.
The Tournament of Power is one big exercise in koudan storytelling. These forty-eight minutes are a moment being told in excruciating detail, similar to the battle between Son Gokuu and Freeza depicting five minutes over ten episodes.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️