Filler Material

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Filler Material

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:44 pm

ABED wrote:The cutaways in mid-battle are distracting.
Unless it's that scene with Roshi and Tien, heh. So well-placed!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:57 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Which scene?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:14 pm

ABED wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Which scene?
The one where Tien and Roshi have their chat in the sunset after Roshi forfeits his match as Jackie Chun. I chuckled a bit because it's technically interrupting the start of the Goku vs Krillin match, but because it's about character development and with important characters, it totally works.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:21 pm

KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Unless it's that scene with Roshi and Tien, heh. So well-placed!
Which scene?
The one where Tien and Roshi have their chat in the sunset after Roshi forfeits his match as Jackie Chun. I chuckled a bit because it's technically interrupting the start of the Goku vs Krillin match, but because it's about character development and with important characters, it totally works.
That too, but I was also think that there was conflict in that scene
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:44 am

KBABZ wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:Piccolo Jr filler - there was a good episode featuring Yamcha, Krillin, Tien and Chiaotzu whilst on their way to Korin's that I liked.
That would have been the one called Hotter than Lava in the dub, I think.
It involved a volcano so I'd say you're probably right!
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:25 am

TheZFighter wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:Piccolo Jr filler - there was a good episode featuring Yamcha, Krillin, Tien and Chiaotzu whilst on their way to Korin's that I liked.
That would have been the one called Hotter than Lava in the dub, I think.
Ah! It's part of a pair of episodes.In the A plot, Krillin, Chiaotzu, Yamcha and Tien make their way to the Land of Korin to be trained by him, while the B Plot Goku is being taught by Mr. Popo on how to sense Ki blindfolded, Star Wars style. The Z Fighters (I know it's only DB, but it effectively counts) encounter a village along the way that then erupts, and they spend the second episode trying to quell it.

I only skimmed these episodes when making T1C, but what I found odd is that the plot of the Z Fighters trying to get to the Land of Korin is never actually resolved; we cut to the 23rd TB right after this and we never find out if they even made it there until Krillin reveals to Goku that he has his own Senzu Beans. Considering the animation team would be looking for filler content at this point (the manga is up to Piccolo and Goku beginning their fight with Raditz), you'd think they'd grab a couple more episodes and show them actually getting to the top of the tower and undergoing a bit of training themselves, right?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:31 am

I don't think that's a goal that needed to be reached. It's a given that they would get to the top of Karin Tower. The payoff was seeing the b-team work together and how far they still have to go.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:11 am

I like filler that are not boring, so I like most fillers of Dragon Ball. In Dragon Ball Z, I like the car license and all the scenes/flashbacks involving Saiyans, mainly King Vegeta ones.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Its funny I see a lot of people say they liked the "Goku and Piccolo learning to drive" filler episode but I've always hated it.
KBABZ wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:
KBABZ wrote: That would have been the one called Hotter than Lava in the dub, I think.
Ah! It's part of a pair of episodes.In the A plot, Krillin, Chiaotzu, Yamcha and Tien make their way to the Land of Korin to be trained by him, while the B Plot Goku is being taught by Mr. Popo on how to sense Ki blindfolded, Star Wars style. The Z Fighters (I know it's only DB, but it effectively counts) encounter a village along the way that then erupts, and they spend the second episode trying to quell it.

I only skimmed these episodes when making T1C, but what I found odd is that the plot of the Z Fighters trying to get to the Land of Korin is never actually resolved; we cut to the 23rd TB right after this and we never find out if they even made it there until Krillin reveals to Goku that he has his own Senzu Beans. Considering the animation team would be looking for filler content at this point (the manga is up to Piccolo and Goku beginning their fight with Raditz), you'd think they'd grab a couple more episodes and show them actually getting to the top of the tower and undergoing a bit of training themselves, right?
I agree, I would've liked to have seen more of those guys travelling to/ training under Korin, etc, another missed opportunity.

I have a memory of Tien and Chiaotzu climbing Korin Tower at some point, but I believe that was when they were on their way to train with Kami. A shame.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:53 pm

I think they were on their way to train with Karin, not Kami. I like what we got of the training period between Daimao and the 23rd TB. Any longer and it would've belabored the point.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:26 pm

ABED wrote:I think they were on their way to train with Karin, not Kami. I like what we got of the training period between Daimao and the 23rd TB. Any longer and it would've belabored the point.
That filler scene of Tien and Chiaotzu climbing Korin's tower was from Z, post Raditz' defeat/Goku's death, so they were going to Kami's actually.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:35 pm

dragonball0900 wrote:
ABED wrote:I think they were on their way to train with Karin, not Kami. I like what we got of the training period between Daimao and the 23rd TB. Any longer and it would've belabored the point.
That filler scene of Tien and Chiaotzu climbing Korin's tower was from Z, post Raditz' defeat/Goku's death, so they were going to Kami's actually.
Thanks. It got confusing there as the previous poster was talking about the training period before the TB