I'm done with the dub UPDATE

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: I'm done with the dub UPDATE

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:17 pm

Okay... And then this eye-rolling nonsense gets leaked and everyone's in an uproar. I'm just saying that given their actions and comments, I'm not surprised. I'm also saying that based on their actions and comments, I don't see them as professional representatives of the series to begin with -- just people who stumbled onto something that makes them money. So, how am I wrong? It is opinion-based -- I'm expressing the impression that I get when I hear their interviews. How's that not opinion? In my opinion, there's a huge difference between a voice actor who's an artist -- like Steve Blum, Kevin Conroy, Billy West, etc. -- and the guys who seemingly need a buddy to be producing/directing the thing to get work. Huge difference in how the former carry themselves and talk about their work.

It's not to say that DB is this amazing work of art, but there are voice actors out there who do look at themselves as artists no matter what the genre is, and I like that. I like professionalism and to know that they put some work in more than, "Ugh well I had to scream really, really loud." The way that Jason Douglas and Ian Sinclair carry themselves, for example, separates them from the typical Funi cast who joke about not understanding the song lyrics or how fun it is to watch Yamucha get killed. That's my opinion.

Anyway, as usual, this debate won't go anywhere.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:18 pm

"They carry themselves as artists" sounds ridiculously pretentious. Nothing about being an artist requires one to be super serious about how you talk about your work.

I like professionalism as well, but your view on how professional they are is non-objective. You don't observe how they do go about their work, just how they talk about it afterwards and apparently not very much if their more earnest comments (which aren't rare) went past your notice. You are basing it off insufficient evidence. So yes, you are voicing an opinion, but not an educated one.

Once again, "don't disagree with me, it's just my opinion!"
Last edited by ABED on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:44 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:17 pm Okay... And then this eye-rolling nonsense gets leaked and everyone's in an uproar. I'm just saying that given their actions and comments, I'm not surprised. I'm also saying that based on their actions and comments, I don't see them as professional representatives of the series to begin with -- just people who stumbled onto something that makes them money. So, how am I wrong? It is opinion-based -- I'm expressing the impression that I get when I hear their interviews. How's that not opinion? In my opinion, there's a huge difference between a voice actor who's an artist -- like Steve Blum, Kevin Conroy, Billy West, etc. -- and the guys who seemingly need a buddy to be producing/directing the thing to get work. Huge difference in how the former carry themselves and talk about their work.

It's not to say that DB is this amazing work of art, but there are voice actors out there who do look at themselves as artists no matter what the genre is, and I like that. I like professionalism and to know that they put some work in more than, "Ugh well I had to scream really, really loud." The way that Jason Douglas and Ian Sinclair carry themselves, for example, separates them from the typical Funi cast who joke about not understanding the song lyrics or how fun it is to watch Yamucha get killed. That's my opinion.

Anyway, as usual, this debate won't go anywhere.
Yes, it's your opinion, but the reasoning for your opinion - that they're too jokey about in interviews - is pretty preposterous in and of itself, nevermind the wealth of interviews where they do fit your definition of "professionalism." Sabat's interviews give off the impression of somebody who's genuinely become a Dragon Ball nerd and in the case of Schemmel it's actually had a profound impact on his philosophical views. So much for not taking it seriously :eh:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:49 am

How is joking about a series is being unprofessional? If I were a VA, I'd joke about Dragon Ball too.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Zarely
Banned

Post by Zarely » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:12 am

I have no emotional attachment to voice actors I've never met. Not one that would stop him from watching the show in my own convenient language.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:58 pm

I’ve been watching Dragon Ball since I was a kid. Even in the 90’s I knew the show was heavily altered for North America and it drove me crazy because I had seen it in Japanese. I’ve always hated censorship. I stick with the Japanese version for most of the reasons stated in this thread but mainly it’s because I just prefer authenticity. I don’t feel the dub ever provided that because as the cast has stated themselves, they feel they have creative licenses.