What chance would Dragon Ball 86 have it was remade today?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What chance would Dragon Ball 86 have it was remade today?

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:02 pm

matburzy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:19 am I hope so, really while I like Toriyama works and simple humour, such themes really show how weird japanese mangaka can be.

To provide context, the scene that disturbed me the most was when General Blue was enticed by one of Dr Slump characters (forgot the name). Yikes! What the hell was that, and how it even passed as a animated episode is beyond me. If someone watched you watch this episode without context, there is good chance FBI would be interested :shock:

Not to mention that character is portrayed negatively as gay, as if author suggested that this trait along with pedo inclinations are all evil, interchangable and just wanted to hyperbole that. I'm glad he stopped doing that around 22th Tenkaichi Budokai and that kind of humour definitely toned down.
General Blue being a pedophile was something exclusive to the 1986 cartoon's Episode #56 (Script: Inoue Toshiki; Storyboard & Animation Supervision: Ebisawa Yukio; Episode Director: Takenou-chi Kazuhisa; Original Broadcast: 1987.03.25) and was not present in the 1984 comic's Chapter #81 (1986.07.01) or Chapter #82 (1986.07.08) by Toriyama Akira that the episode in question adapts. Fear and loathing of queer people is still an issue across our planet even in 2022 but whether one person or a million people find a 'joke' comparing a queer person to a pedophile funny that 'joke' is nevertheless neither funny nor appropriate.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know