Ah... at risk of sounding dumb...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon May 24, 2004 4:30 pm

I don't see how you can say for sure that Yamcha didn't cheat on Bulma. Trunks did say that was the reason they broke up. Even though that's only telling Bulma's side of the story (dead Yamcha can't exactly jump up to defend his honor, after all), just because he never cheated before doesn't mean he couldn't start. I mean, people have affairs after years of marriage, so why is it impossible to think that Yamcha just got bored after 15-odd years with Bulma and went off to pursue other women? Or maybe he just got drunk and only cheated once, but Bulma wouldn't forgive him for that and went off and slept with Vegeta for revenge. I'd like to read the essay you're writing, but I don't see how it can prove for sure that Yamcha never cheated on Bulma.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Mon May 24, 2004 5:44 pm

Sailorspazz: Nothing in DB can truly be definitive, especially when so little is explained, but I'm piecing together the most likely scenario based on both the manga and anime. I think Yamucha assumed the relationship was dead when he saw Bulma's growing affection for Vegeta (which was very apparent in Japanese episode 124). He thought that he couldn't really compete (also in ep 124) and his interests turned elsewhere. Bulma, in turn, interpreted his change in heart to be infidelity. I don't think she would have slept with Vegeta for revenge. She's not that warped and she's shown as feeling sorry for him and being very concerned about his health. I've got the Japanese volume with that infamous line from Trunks. There's a billion different versions of the line, but I've translated it into English to put the matter to rest once and for all. The essay isn't complete since I haven't had much free time, but when it's done I'll probably submit it to Daizex (my own site isn't nearly finished).

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon May 24, 2004 9:33 pm

On that point, do they ever say where Yamcha lives from the Cell saga onwards? Because I have a feeling the series implies that it's still as Capsule Corp, which would be pretty weird. Of course, Phosphorus Chesnuts doesn't mind having a dirty perverted old man living with him and his wife, so I guess anything goes in the crazy, mixed up place we call the Dragon World.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Mon May 24, 2004 9:44 pm

He presumably moved out of CapCorp when Vegeta moved back in after Cell's defeat. He definitely wasn't living there by the Buu saga, since he arrived by car to the post-Buu reunion.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 24, 2004 10:34 pm

Between the Piccolo saga and 23rd budoukai, Yamcha often went his own way in order to advance his training. The same applied after the budoukai, but at that point he started sleeping around so he and Bulma parted ways. After the Namek saga, he was at the capsule corp, but not "with" Bulma. Vegeta was. 8)

And yet he did stay...
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Tue May 25, 2004 2:41 am

Where the heck did it say that he was sleeping around? There's nothing of that anywhere in the series. I've started rewatching DBZ from beginning to end, I'm at episode 20 of the Japanese version, and there's nothing about him cheating on her. If you're referring to that fight they had at the beginning... In the manga, we never find out what it was about. In the anime, Yamucha didn't show up for one of their dates because he was broke and was afraid of what she'd think of him. He wasn't chasing skirts.

After the Freeza saga Yamucha and Bulma did get back together, which was pretty apparent by the way they acted when Yamucha's life was restored. Besides, if they hadn't gotten back together, then they couldn't have broken up like Trunks said.

Also, Vegeta wasn't 'with' Bulma, he was just a freeloader. :D

koden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by koden » Tue May 25, 2004 9:09 am

sorry to butt in, but I have a quick question I hope can be answered...
I think Yamucha assumed the relationship was dead when he saw Bulma's growing affection for Vegeta (which was very apparent in Japanese episode 124). He thought that he couldn't really compete (also in ep 124)
Is that ep the one where Vegeta comes back to Earth and it shows how he ended up wearing that pink Badman shirt?
If so, isn't that whole ep filler, which would therefore make it un-relevant in this discussion seeing as how those events that occured in it never really happened?
At least I think it's filler...

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue May 25, 2004 10:33 am

Whether it's "filler" or not doesn't matter. It's extra information, and desptie what a lot of people like to claim, the Anime is cannon, and it's right when there is no contradicting information from the Manga.

That said, I thought that was the episode where Vegeta blew up the ship he was using to train in and Bulma came running out to see what happened. I could see it then, quite clearly, that she liked him. More so than even when he first got back to Earth.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

koden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by koden » Tue May 25, 2004 12:08 pm

Whether it's "filler" or not doesn't matter. It's extra information, and desptie what a lot of people like to claim, the Anime is cannon, and it's right when there is no contradicting information from the Manga.
well yes, it is extra information, but since it was created by TOEI and not Akira Toriyama, how can it really be counted?

But anyways, I like that ep you mentioned too - one of my favorites, and it was nice to see one like that.
I always find something kinda weird though - it seems Bulma started to like Vegeta when she invited him to stay at Capsule Corp. and told him not to do anything naughty, but I wonder why she would even talk to him... she'd been scared of him on Namek and he had been evil enough to try to destroy the Earth at one point and had nearly killed her friends (ex., Goku and Krillin)... I for one cannot imagine why she'd want him to hang around her house and family. :shock:

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue May 25, 2004 12:18 pm

Because Toriyama-sama wanted a new Saiya-jin? :wink:

I don't know... maybe something happened while he was on Earth after Namek blew up and before he took off to look for Goku?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue May 25, 2004 12:22 pm

Where the heck did it say that he was sleeping around? There's nothing of that anywhere in the series. I've started rewatching DBZ from beginning to end, I'm at episode 20 of the Japanese version, and there's nothing about him cheating on her. If you're referring to that fight they had at the beginning... In the manga, we never find out what it was about. In the anime, Yamucha didn't show up for one of their dates because he was broke and was afraid of what she'd think of him. He wasn't chasing skirts.
I was joking with the wording I used. He's just a big flirt, which sparks they're many arguments offscreen in the manga. What finally drove them apart for good was just that, according to Trunks, when at some point in the first of the three years before the Androids arrive, Bulma left him for good because she found he was too much of, EXACTLY as you put it, "too much of a skirt chaser".
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue May 25, 2004 8:06 pm

Isn't that largely down to Bulma's paranoia though? I mean, the first argument they have (during the Red Ribbon saga) is basically due to the fact that Yamcha is handsome and the girls at school like him. There's no notion of him leading them on. In fact, in the anime (during the "let's go to the fairground for some reason" episodes), he seems really upset by the idea that Bulma is annoyed with him, and wants to make up, while she just stomps around being stroppy.
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue May 25, 2004 11:27 pm

That's the anime. In the manga we still see nothing, but are given the impression that he flirts back since other people are always all "you know how he is" when they speak about him.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed May 26, 2004 2:56 pm

Maybe. It coud still be a reputation he unfairly picked up (possibly due to Bulma spreading it).

Oolong and Pu'ar were right though...she is a pain in the arse.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Wed May 26, 2004 5:32 pm

Nowhere in the manga (from what I recall) did Yamucha ever flirt with anyone other than Bulma when they were dating. Nor did it ever imply that Yamucha was doing anything like that. Whenever Bulma was angry with him, the manga never said why. So, the only way to find out what was going on is to look at the anime. While there are some girls who flirt with him the anime (Maron, for instance), he never flirts back and usually just becomes nervous and uncomfortable.

Oh, and what episode was it that had the fairgrounds thing? My memories of the first series are really dim...

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed May 26, 2004 6:50 pm

"Master Thief Haskey" the dub calls it. Occurs after Goku goes to West City to find Bulma, in order to get her to fix the Dragon Radar. In the manga, she demonstrates her new shrinking thing, and off they go. In the manga, she takes him sightseeing first, and he comes across Yamcha and co. Yamcha is training (sort of), while Oolong and Pu'ar slag off Bulma. He feels guilty, but conceeds that they have a point, but that he still loves her. Bulma (who was listening) unshrinks and shouts at him (having missed the final part of Yamcha's speech). They then all go to the fairground (obviously), and Yamcha spends all his time feeling guilty and trying to make up with a stroppy, moody Bulma.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed May 26, 2004 8:45 pm

Nowhere in the manga (from what I recall) did Yamucha ever flirt with anyone other than Bulma when they were dating. Nor did it ever imply that Yamucha was doing anything like that.
My answer:
according to Trunks, when at some point in the first of the three years before the Androids arrive, Bulma left him for good because she found he was too much of, EXACTLY as you put it, "too much of a skirt chaser".

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed May 26, 2004 11:27 pm

So the only "proof" comes from the daughter of a mildly hysterical and high-maintenance character who could easily have fallen for Vegeta's larger winkie and then made up an excuse to cover it?

It's not like Yamcha was around to defend himself anyway.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu May 27, 2004 1:25 am

PsyLiam wrote:So the only "proof" comes from the daughter of a mildly hysterical and high-maintenance character who could easily have fallen for Vegeta's larger winkie and then made up an excuse to cover it?

It's not like Yamcha was around to defend himself anyway.
At the risk of being an target for angry women, that was well summed up.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu May 27, 2004 9:14 am

Um, don't you mean a "son" instead of "daughter" Liam?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."