Mike and the bots riff Saban's DBZ dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:54 pm

Although the US ones are lighter on the subject that US ones, it does vary considerably. Samurai Jack, Justice League, and even The Powerpuff Girls have death in them without any sort of "parachutes" cover-up. Justice League also gets away with a ridiculous number of sexually tilted jokes (all fairly well disguised to go right over the heads of children, it has to be said). They're not on a DBZ level, true, but then the dub of DBZ (post-Saban) does have pretty much 99% of the deaths in that the original does, even if some of the more gory stuff it cut out.

It's slightly off the topic though, which is:

*cough*

Given that it's okay to make jokes about death in certain situations, and given that it's okay to make jokes about sex in certain situations, and given that it's okay to make jokes about murder (which is forced death), why isn't it okay to make jokes about rape (which is forced sex).

(And as an aside, how many people have actually read this part of DBZ rewrite? And who didn't mind, and who objected to it?)
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:03 pm

I hear as many jokes about rape as I do about murder. At least, I think I do. Not very many for both, either way.

I saw that part of DBZRW. Thought it was incredibly funny, just like every other part.