Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
-
Kendamu
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 7000
- Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
- Location: The Martial Arts World
Post
by Kendamu » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:12 pm
Kingdom Heartless wrote:They're not that bad. Its not like you can see their parachutes or something. I know some people get all worked up because they can't see Bulma's boobs or because some guys have blasters instead of guns in a martial arts sci-fi epic comedy, but its not horrible.
EDIT: Yes, I know. "D'jinn" and "Vegerot" aren't on the list of, "Good things about the VIZ DB/DBZ manga," but I kinda forgot about them because I tend to overlook certain things after awhile.
That's what kind of turned me off buying them just yet....
I saw those name changes on the overview and nothing annoys me more.
D'jinn isn't really a mistranslation or anything. It just makes the whole "M" thing kind of weird. Also, Vegeto isn't a character that you're going to be seeing a lot of and his name is barely ever mentioned.
If Vegeto was a character that was in half the series and people were constantly chanting his name and talking about him then I'd understand.
-
Raki
- I Live Here
- Posts: 2720
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:50 pm
- Location: USA
-
Contact:
Post
by Raki » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:23 pm
So Kendamu, the best bet for an English speaking Dragonball fan is for them to buy Viz's Dragonball manga. If the censorship is an issue, just import the Japanese volumes.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.
-
Kendamu
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 7000
- Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
- Location: The Martial Arts World
Post
by Kendamu » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:06 am
Raki wrote:So Kendamu, the best bet for an English speaking Dragonball fan is for them to buy Viz's Dragonball manga. If the censorship is an issue, just import the Japanese volumes.
Without resorting to anything illegal, yes. In the beginning of each volume of the American version, there's a bunch of legal text and stuff. If there is censorship in that volume, it should have a small blurb on that page stating how some stuff was edited for whatever reason. So, if you want to read it in English and get around censorship while saving some cash, check which volumes are edited and import the Japanese counterpart so you can read them side-by-side or whatever.
-
Raki
- I Live Here
- Posts: 2720
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:50 pm
- Location: USA
-
Contact:
Post
by Raki » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:14 am
Kendamu wrote:Raki wrote:So Kendamu, the best bet for an English speaking Dragonball fan is for them to buy Viz's Dragonball manga. If the censorship is an issue, just import the Japanese volumes.
Without resorting to anything illegal, yes. In the beginning of each volume of the American version, there's a bunch of legal text and stuff. If there is censorship in that volume, it should have a small blurb on that page stating how some stuff was edited for whatever reason. So, if you want to read it in English and get around censorship while saving some cash, check which volumes are edited and import the Japanese counterpart so you can read them side-by-side or whatever.
Thanks. I think I'll be doing that being as I've only read the Android/Cell arc in the manga.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.
-
saiyanprincess
- Regular
- Posts: 599
- Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:16 am
- Location: England
Post
by saiyanprincess » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:08 am
SonGokuGT wrote:Chibi, if you're from Japan the I suggest you look into Book-off! They sell used manga for REALLY cheap. The one here in San Diego sells new Tankoubon for $3.00, used ones for $1.00, and the Kanzenban for $6.50! It's a steal!
This is our lucky day! Did you say he is from Japan?
Could you check out the thread 'DBZ T-shirts.'
http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=8213
I will just fill you in, Basically we are looking for somebody in Japan who can get hold of some REALLY COOL T-shirts and can then place them up upon Ebay for people to purchase.
The T-shirts arn't available anywhere else, and because very few of us knows Japanese we can't get them shipped
If you check out the thread and have a little read that would be great

[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]
_______________________________________
Saiyan Princess
-
Raki
- I Live Here
- Posts: 2720
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:50 pm
- Location: USA
-
Contact:
Post
by Raki » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:49 am
Can't you guys use the Celga service?
{On a side note, I just won an Ebay auction. 85 dollars worth of Dragonball manga for 10 bucks!}
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.
-
saiyanprincess
- Regular
- Posts: 599
- Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:16 am
- Location: England
Post
by saiyanprincess » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:51 pm
Sorry I will PM next time!
Wow 10 bucks, I assume that's in dollars. Bargain! The credit crunch can't be all that bad!
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]
_______________________________________
Saiyan Princess