Scenes from Dragonball series being re-drawn for HDTV

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Scenes from Dragonball series being re-drawn for HDTV

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
sangofe wrote:And why would we believe you? Just because you happened to have those scetches?
'Seems a good enough reason to me. How would you get your hands on sketches like those?
Sure, why not? And hell, what do we lose for believing it if it's not true? Not much, really. There's established cred there, and now they have to lie or be really wrong once to lose it. =p

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:19 am

I'll laugh my ass off if part of this process involves cropping.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:25 am

I'd like to see how people would react. I would laugh my ass off if they had no problem with it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:48 am

jjgp1112 wrote:I'd like to see how people would react. I would laugh my ass off if they had no problem with it.
Acceptance or not, I'd still laugh my ass off.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:56 am

Redrawing some scenes? Huh, sounds like something expected from Star Wars, but not any of the three DB series. I mean, re-making lasers so they look more realistic in live action is one thing, but re-making ki blasts for an animated show...? I really don't see a point.

Don't get me wrong, though. Somewhat excited if this is actually true.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:03 am

Wasted Wisher wrote:As of now, I can only relay to you what my bosses and co-workers have told me. They haven't even actually started handing out the work to us, but hopefully a shipment is scheduled to come in this week.
So you're not under a contract or similar type of agreement forbidding the leak of such "important" information?
14 years later

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:40 am

Putting a digitally redrawn scene to a cel anime?
Who does such a rubbish thing..

Edit: They should solve this first
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Image

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:56 am

By "re-draw" I take it you mean to animate it from scratch?, unless you're talking about re-doing the existing drawings for HD, like Futurama did for Bender's big score.

darkhawk5
Beyond Newbie

Post by darkhawk5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:03 am

Well i can't wait see how this turns out ....as long as they don't touch Lupin Vegeta xD

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:27 am

I'm sure Toei will be nice to us and release whatever new material they come up with on some sort of home viewing source, I'm just wondering how long it will take them... since it took them over a decade to release the Dragon Boxes and the Individual Discs aren't even all out yet.

And I'm not very knowledgeable as to how Toei usual handles their music these days, but from what I've heard I wouldn't be surprised if all new BGM was added to the series as well.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:57 am

Like I'd say on 4Chan...

Sauce?

I'm not even going to get my hopes up until there is a credible source for this.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:59 am

fps_anth wrote:Like I'd say on 4Chan...

Sauce?
Gravity goes well with a lot of stuff, try that.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:10 am

Rocketman wrote:

Sauce?
Right :?

Now that I think about it, how would this even work? They're reanimating 'scenes'? As in, some scenes are not going to be changed? How weird would that look? If they do anything, they'll probably just reanimate the entire series, or maybe a couple of fan favourite episodes.

I could see them adding "reanimated scenes" as a DVD special feature or something, but for re-broadcast on TV? No way.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:22 am

fps_anth wrote:
Rocketman wrote:

Sauce?
Right :?
I was sure I typed "gravy".

Y'know, cause it's a sauce.

SHUT UP YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD

GotenZ1
Patreon Supporter

Post by GotenZ1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:24 am

OK, well I personally do not believe any of this to be true-HOWEVER, mixing traditional cel and modern digital animation has been done before to great success with the Zeta Gundam movies a few years back. And with the success of the new special I would not put it past Toei try and think up some more ways to saturate the market with new dragonball animation. But this seems very spotty. I can't imagine them going to the trouble of putting in SOME new animation in the midst of old cell animation-especially if they would be making something that switched from full screen to widescreen every other episode.

I would say that we are more likely to see movie remakes of the different arcs before we would see anything like this. Mostly because "this" sounds like a waste of time and money for Toei.

I'm going to vote no on this rumor, but I think it probably might stem from rumblings inside Toei that they are thinking of putting out some sort of new DB animation.

And the argument that we would be hearing this on other sites doesn't debunk this 100% either. Remember, news has to START somewhere, why not daizex?

But yeah. I say no.
My short animated film (has some violence): http://youtu.be/ovT8mbYE85E

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:50 am

I think it's just weird that they are 'planning' this already while the single releases are still ongoing. Maybe we are just getting Blu ray releases of DBOX with just a few touch ups, like where the cells fails to give a clean picture at 1080P.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:54 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Image
Hmm, I didn't know TOEI animation had a bunch of Beatles fans! :D
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

PrincessVegeta
Banned

Post by PrincessVegeta » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:27 pm

Meh that was not really badly drawn, just a microscophic point of view of the Z audience watching from afar.

I have seen much worse in Naruto and these microscophic effects which either zoom in or out of a frame in an awkward angleto make it weird are much more commen in Naruto then the Dragonball series and look really freaky too look at... some like em and some dont x3
The Ultimate Funimation Fangirl.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:08 pm

PrincessVegeta wrote: I have seen much worse in Naruto and these microscophic effects which either zoom in or out of a frame in an awkward angleto make it weird are much more commen in Naruto then the Dragonball series and look really freaky too look at... some like em and some dont x3
Well, Naruto is done by Studio Pierrot...which, in my opinion, isn't as good as Toei. Blue Dragon feels really "clunky" to me. I couldn't get past the first few episodes.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

jaywonder
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jaywonder » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:17 am

It could work. I was watching GTO the other day and noticed some scenes had been redrawn, the coloring was slightly "fresher", but it still fit