Naruto or Bleach, which resembles Dragon Ball more?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:06 pm

bkev wrote:Well... all three have a tournament arc at one point (in fact I believe YuYuHakusho is actually ONLY based on tournaments, but it has been awhile). Early DB had lots of tournaments, later on the Cell Games; Naruto has the Chunin exam; and YYH has Genkai's training, the Dark Tournament, and from there on out I haven't seen it ^_^;
There is one major Tournament arc in YYH and 2 minor ones. But it isn't tournament based.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:12 pm

Most of YYH was one huge tournament, IIRC. Ginkai's shit, the Four Beasts, then the Dark Tournament which basically was too separate arcs because of the massive change in tone halfway through the tournament.

Of course, this is gonig off of memory. I haven't watch YYH since that "save Yusuke from that house and don't say the word hot, Kuwabara!" sub-arc first aired on Toonami years ago.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:23 pm

B wrote:Most of YYH was one huge tournament, IIRC. Ginkai's shit, the Four Beasts, then the Dark Tournament which basically was too separate arcs because of the massive change in tone halfway through the tournament.

Of course, this is gonig off of memory. I haven't watch YYH since that "save Yusuke from that house and don't say the word hot, Kuwabara!" sub-arc first aired on Toonami years ago.
Then you had the Chapter Black and 3 Kings arcs.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Dragon Ball resembles Dragon Ball more. :P

Actually I would say Naruto, it obviously just blatantly took things right out of DB, but I don't really feel like giving an examples.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:17 pm

The second half of the Three Kings arc has a tournament. Anime, you don't see everything including the ending.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:40 pm

Joey Batz wrote:(I just finished the Don Creek/Krieg battle and I'm lovin' every second of this manga)
If you though the Krieg arc was awesome, you'll explode in your pants from the next arc. The stuff you've read so far is rather slow compared to what's coming.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:44 pm

Of course a lot of shonen manga will end up with similar trends, simply due to fan pressure (fans love tournaments, being one of the more obvious examples) and editorial influence (editors love pandering to fans because it's all about the sales). So it wouldn't be fair to say that the authors are shamelessly looting the Dragon Ball franchise for whatever tricks they can find.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:17 am

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Bleach was originally denied by Shonen Jump, but due to an encouraging letter by Akira Toriyama written to Tite Kubo, the series was later accepted.
That's just a rumor that's been started on Wikipedia.
I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up.
Of course a lot of shonen manga will end up with similar trends, simply due to fan pressure (fans love tournaments, being one of the more obvious examples) and editorial influence (editors love pandering to fans because it's all about the sales). So it wouldn't be fair to say that the authors are shamelessly looting the Dragon Ball franchise for whatever tricks they can find.
True, but you can't deny the fact that the Dragon Ball franchise influenced the manga/anime industry. In a lot of manga/anime series, they make at least one reference to Dragon Ball, even if that series wasn't heavily influenced by Dragon Ball.

I never said which one I think is more similar, so:

I think Bleach is more similar. I've only seen 20 episodes of it, but a lot of things just scream, "Dragon Ball reference!". For one, there's the battles. I've only seen AMV's of the Ichigo vs. Grimmjow battle, but that battle resembles a Dragon Ball Z battle a lot.

Another thing is the humor. The series often switches a serious moment to a funny part. Apparently, Tite Kubo said the reason is because he often gets bored of drawing the manga, so he adds in a humorous moment. Sound familiar?

Also, I think that certain characters resemble Dragon Ball characters quite a bit. Orihime reminds me of a blend of the two sides of Chi-Chi, minus the anger bursts. Uryu reminds me of Vegeta, because, a least at the point I'm at in Bleach, Ichigo and him have a big rivalry. Plus, both Vegeta and Uryu tend to be jerks sometimes, but can be helpful when their needed. Kon is like Oolong. Do I need to explain this one?

Their is a plethora of other things I could mention, but these are a few similarities.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:41 am

I don't know, Bleach's action differs in Dragon Ball in it's gore level and just overall style. In DB, there's lots of martial arts, while Bleach tends to focus on straightforward fighting, when the zanpakutou aren't involved.

Perverted characters are a common thing in anime, even outside of shonen. The fact that two shonen series use animals(and really, Kon's not an animal anyway) is coincidence.

And, sorry, I don't get where you're getting ANY vibe of Chi-Chi out of Orihime 0_o. I could see the Uryu/Vegeta comparison if you've only just started the series, but as time goes on, I'd say the characters quickly lose their similarties. Save for the "I MUST HONOR MY RACE" thing.

Really, Bleach is bit of uncoventinal shonen to me. It covers the same concepts and topics Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, and many other shows of its genre, but it has a certain flare and style about it. It might be Kubo's writing style(characters first, story later) or that it just oozes cool. In that respect, it is a lot like Dragon Ball; the story builds itself up and rewards you with sick fights. In terms of popularity, I WISH Bleach would achieve Dragon Ball's level of fame one day.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:48 am

Every anime I've seen seems to be a rip-off of Dragonball, which really turns me off from the anime genre.

If I had to choose Naruto rips off DBZ more than Bleach.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

ImmortalSandwich
Beyond Newbie

Post by ImmortalSandwich » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:56 am

Eh Bleach is like DBZ with swords, Naruto is like DBZ with ninjutsu, Yu Yu Hakusho is like DBZ, but less emphasis on the spirit energy and more on the hand to hand fighting.

All of these mangas/animes resemble each other somewhat, but they're all unique enough and good enough in their own ways. I don't think any of them resembles DBZ too closely.

And I wouldn't say any of them "rip off" DBZ. Maybe they were influenced by DBZ (I seem to remember Naruto's author saying he was a fan of Toriyama's work, though I may be thinking of someone else), but that doesn't mean they're blatantly ripping off the series. And even so, the qualities that they are "ripping off" of DBZ are the ones I tend to enjoy more, so I don't really mind too much.
Last edited by ImmortalSandwich on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:56 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Kakarrot = Yusuke Urameshi

Piccolo Daimaô/Piccolo = Yoko Kurama/Kurama
I don't recall Goku and Piccolo being punk kids who ditch school and get into fights often, with Piccolo falling for "Vegeta's" "sister." Nor do I recall Goku having no respect for anyone.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:02 am

Bleach.

To quote TFS Nappa: “It‘s like us, with swords.”

ImmortalSandwich
Beyond Newbie

Post by ImmortalSandwich » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:03 am

Tsukento wrote:

I don't recall Goku and Piccolo being punk kids who ditch school and get into fights often, with Piccolo falling for "Vegeta's" "sister." Nor do I recall Goku having no respect for anyone.
I've heard a lot of people make those kinds of comparisons, but those are usually the people who didn't watch much past the first arc of YYH.

Yusuke and Goku's personalities are almost polar opposites. The only similarity they have is that they love to fight and they overcome every obstacle put in front of them.

Also, you're confusing Kurama with Kuwabara. I really don't know what similarities Piccolo has with Kurama.. That comparison makes no sense to me whatsoever.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:11 am

RoarkVegeta wrote:Bleach.

Yeah, I wish Ichigo wasn't so much like Goku, and that they didn't live in a Chinese fanasy world, or that Karin and Yuzu didn't come from the afterlife to make Ichigo reap 100 souls.

Oh wait.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:13 am

Tsukento wrote:

You are looking at the wrong things. I posted some more in-depth comparisons and someone found the thread where I posted my original comaprisons and the link to it but apparently, you missed it.
ImmortalSandwich wrote:
Tsukento wrote:

I've heard a lot of people make those kinds of comparisons, but those are usually the people who didn't watch much past the first arc of YYH.

Yusuke and Goku's personalities are almost polar opposites. The only similarity they have is that they love to fight and they overcome every obstacle put in front of them.

Also, you're confusing Kurama with Kuwabara. I really don't know what similarities Piccolo has with Kurama.. That comparison makes no sense to me whatsoever.
I have watched the entire anime and read the manga in addition I saw the extra footage of the second Makai Tournament. So I am very familiar with Yu Yu Hakusho.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:14 am

RoarkVegeta wrote:Bleach.

That sounds similar to how some Inuyasha haters call it "Dragon Ball Z for girls".

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:16 am

I don't know, Bleach's action differs in Dragon Ball in it's gore level and just overall style. In DB, there's lots of martial arts, while Bleach tends to focus on straightforward fighting, when the zanpakutou aren't involved.
You have a point there. Bleach does have a lot of blood and gore compared to Dragon Ball. Although, Dragon Ball can get pretty bloody sometimes, but not too gory.
Perverted characters are a common thing in anime, even outside of shonen. The fact that two shonen series use animals(and really, Kon's not an animal anyway) is coincidence.
True. I guess the fact that they were both animal (or animal-like) characters that are perverted is what I got my similarity from.
And, sorry, I don't get where you're getting ANY vibe of Chi-Chi out of Orihime 0_o.
:lol:

The look of her and the fact that Orihime has a secret crush (or so I think) on Ichigo is how I got that comparison. Like I said, I'm just starting the series, so I don't have a good grasp of just who exactly the characters are yet. Maybe I shouldn't have made that comparison.:oops:
Really, Bleach is bit of uncoventinal shonen to me. It covers the same concepts and topics Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, and many other shows of its genre, but it has a certain flare and style about it. It might be Kubo's writing style(characters first, story later) or that it just oozes cool. In that respect, it is a lot like Dragon Ball; the story builds itself up and rewards you with sick fights. In terms of popularity, I WISH Bleach would achieve Dragon Ball's level of fame one day.
Each series has a certain flare and style to it. Dragon Ball is very unique in it's own right, and that's one big reason I like it. But also, you are right that a lot of shonen are alike. That's just the way the genre is.
In terms of popularity, I WISH Bleach would achieve Dragon Ball's level of fame one day.
Even non-manga/anime fans know about Dragon Ball Z. Bleach is on Adult Swim, so not as many people know about it. Just give it time, and maybe, it will be that popular. :wink:

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:21 am

Shiyonasan wrote:Even non-manga/anime fans know about Dragon Ball Z. Bleach is on Adult Swim, so not as many people know about it. Just give it time, and maybe, it will be that popular. :wink:
That won't be happening with it being on at midnight during a filler arc. D:
Last edited by B on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImmortalSandwich
Beyond Newbie

Post by ImmortalSandwich » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:21 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote: I have watched the entire anime and read the manga in addition I saw the extra footage of the second Makai Tournament. So I am very familiar with Yu Yu Hakusho.
Well the comparisons you're making definitely make you sound like you know very little of the characters personalities.

Regardless, Goku, Naruto, Ichigo, and Yusuke all share common traits of shonen manga main characters. The supporting characters in each of the respective series also share certain traits which are common in shonen characters. Once we get past that, the characters individual personalities all differ drastically. You can't really compare the characters back and forth, because of how different they are.

Okay Hiei is proud of his race and is pretty standoffish and whatnot, but.. So what? That doesn't make him a similar character to Vegeta. It only means they share some common traits, but they're still drastically different.

B wrote:
Shiyonasan wrote:Even non-manga/anime fans know about Dragon Ball Z. Bleach is on Adult Swim, so not as many people know about it. Just give it time, and maybe, it will be that popular. :wink:
That won't be happening with it being on at midnight during a filler arc. D:

LOL agreed.
Last edited by ImmortalSandwich on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.