Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thekingfallsdown
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by thekingfallsdown » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:31 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I like how the new Blu-ray looks as well thekingfallsdown but I always love how the Dragon-boxes come in and just smack the crap out of both those releases haha
It's pretty decent. Probably the BEST you could ever hope for in a 16:9 release While I still prefer the dragonboxes, it's hard to not consider picking these bluerays up. I mean they're only 18 US dollars...
Currently enjoying Anime, Music, Tv shows, and Final Fantasy XII. Follow my twitter for conversation! @thekingfallsdwn

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Anyone know when the B.F score takes over? I'm about to finish disc 2, on Episode 57.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Anyone know when the B.F score takes over? I'm about to finish disc 2, on Episode 57.
I think Episode 67?

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:03 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Anyone know when the B.F score takes over? I'm about to finish disc 2, on Episode 57.
That would be episode 68 my friend.
eledoremassis02 wrote:I think Episode 67?
That's the last episode with the Nathan Johnson score.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:
That would be episode 68 my friend.
eledoremassis02 wrote:I think Episode 67?
That's the last episode with the Nathan Johnson score.
Ahh. Thank you. I don't really like Johnson's score.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote: That's the last episode with the Nathan Johnson score.
Dang it! :lol: I was close hahahaha

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:20 pm

thekingfallsdown wrote:It's pretty decent. Probably the BEST you could ever hope for in a 16:9 release
This would be true if Dragon Ball Kai didn't exist.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:29 pm

...Which, may I remind you, has only been released 16:9 in Japan. And has a concurrent 4:3 release on blu-ray.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:39 pm

bkev wrote:...Which, may I remind you, has only been released 16:9 in Japan. And has a concurrent 4:3 release on blu-ray.
Yeah sure but it still counts because if we're going to go by "only" then this release is an exclusive to North America (I read Madman's going to release this in Australia).

Just a couple screens from Kai Japanese DVD below.
Dammit, how I wish the FUNimation Kai DVD release had been 16x9 AR too so there'd be a reason to own the same product twice.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:00 pm

Haha! :lol: Look at that damage on Vegeta's forehead. Either they did a terrible frame-by-frame cleanup for the post-Level Set footage, or they did nothing at all. Plus, the linework on this set looks even more smudged than the first set.

[EDIT] Here's a DVD shot for comparison:

I actually think most of the details are sharper on the DVD... Even downscaled, some of the lines are ridiculously blurred on the Blu-ray. :sick: Just look at his armor on the Blu-ray. The DVD actually has more definition to it.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Here are a bunch of random screenshots http://min.us/mbmkP5RPez095n . If anybody has any requests let me know.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:08 pm

Season 4 Special Features include:
Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Matthew O’Hara
Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Daniel Mancilla
From the Vault: Goku vs Vegeta
From the Vault: The World of Dragon Ball Z
Textless Songs
U.S. Trailer
Trailers
Wonder what the from the vault stuff is.
Hope FUNImation release the artwork for S4 soon, it's killing me haha.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Wonder what the from the vault stuff is.
They're old extras from previous sets.

"Goku vs Vegeta" was the Schemmel/Sabat extra from the first "Ultimate Uncut Edition" DVD.

"The World of Dragon Ball Z" was a seasons 1-3 recap used around the time of the Trunks stuff.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:snip

Haha! :lol: Look at that damage on Vegeta's forehead. Either they did a terrible frame-by-frame cleanup for the post-Level Set footage, or they did nothing at all. Plus, the linework on this set looks even more smudged than the first set.

[EDIT] Here's a DVD shot for comparison:
snip

I actually think most of the details are sharper on the DVD... Even downscaled, some of the lines are ridiculously blurred on the Blu-ray. :sick: Just look at his armor on the Blu-ray. The DVD actually has more definition to it.
Honestly the fact of the matter is that the season 2 blu ray currently costs $7.51 less than it's dvd counterpart. So while you could argue that the blu rays and the orange bricks look the same or worse (in your opinion) it isn't as if Funimation is charging you more claiming that the quality has been vastly improved they're actually charging you less. So while anyone who currently owns the orange bricks doesn't necessarily need to go out and purchase these for anyone who doesn't own the series and is considering buying it for the first time I think they should definitely buy the blu rays over the orange bricks. When deciding between these releases it comes down to picking the lesser of two evils and imo that's the blu rays. Not to mention the fact that both season 2 and 3 cost less than their dvd counterparts. I don't see how anybody could justify paying more to get the orange bricks over these blu rays.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:29 pm

ESTRA FEATUUUUUUUUURES -foams at mouth-
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:30 pm

qjz123 wrote:Here are a bunch of random screenshots http://min.us/mbmkP5RPez095n . If anybody has any requests let me know.
It looks like a mixed bag they've got there, some look decent others seem water paint, specifically this one.

While I do like this release for trying to make DBZ look like a modernised anime show it's hard to ignore its flaws and if I were to pick up the Orange Bricks it'd be just for S8 and S9 (at this stage the Season BDs might not be able to compete against it).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:10 pm

qjz123 wrote:Here are a bunch of random screenshots http://min.us/mbmkP5RPez095n . If anybody has any requests let me know.
Thanks so much for the shots! :) Even though these releases have problems, I just hope everything will stay on track and no stuff gets deleted or anything. Hey can someone do me a favor? Can someone take a screen shot of the new Blu-ray when Bulma was laying on that bed thing and the orange bricks made it so bright you couldn't see anything? haha I wanna see how these compare to that. :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:11 pm

It's like if AnimeClipse had released Dragon Ball Z, haha.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:20 pm

So today I received my Season 2 BD and the slip cover was heavily damaged. :lol: I went ahead and requested a replacement from Amazon so that should be here Saturday or Monday. And I do want to reiterate too that 17 dollars (in some states at least without tax) is a phenomenal deal for a season of DBZ on BD even if the picture isn't everything we could hope for.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:23 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
Thanks so much for the shots! :) Even though these releases have problems, I just hope everything will stay on track and no stuff gets deleted or anything. Hey can someone do me a favor? Can someone take a screen shot of the new Blu-ray when Bulma was laying on that bed thing and the orange bricks made it so bright you couldn't see anything? haha I wanna see how these compare to that. :P
Here you go http://i5.minus.com/ii7NAdoDPOnDT.png .
Edit: Here is the same shot from the orange bricks I got it from another thread http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/ ... 171141.png
Last edited by qjz123 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kendamu wrote: