Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by TheAldella » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:26 pm

As that image loaded, it was the brightest thing ever, but afterwards, the FUNimation representatives came to my home and shattered my screen and told me that there wasn't a problem.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:30 pm

TheAldella wrote:As that image loaded, it was the brightest thing ever, but afterwards, the FUNimation representatives came to my home and shattered my screen and told me that there wasn't a problem.
Are you referring to the blu ray shot, orange brick shot, or both?
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:34 pm

qjz123 wrote:
TheAldella wrote:As that image loaded, it was the brightest thing ever, but afterwards, the FUNimation representatives came to my home and shattered my screen and told me that there wasn't a problem.
Are you referring to the blu ray shot, orange brick shot, or both?
The BluRay shot with Bulma sleeping and Krillin. I'm typing this all without a monitor, sooo...
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Here are some more random screen shots from some of the earlier episodes in the set. http://min.us/mBs8x74AiUYTX
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:48 pm

qjz123 wrote:Here are some more random screen shots from some of the earlier episodes in the set. http://min.us/mBs8x74AiUYTX
Those seem to have a nice level of contrast overall.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:51 pm

qjz123 wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:
qjz123 wrote:Here are a bunch of random screenshots http://min.us/mbmkP5RPez095n . If anybody has any requests let me know.
Thanks so much for the shots! :) Even though these releases have problems, I just hope everything will stay on track and no stuff gets deleted or anything. Hey can someone do me a favor? Can someone take a screen shot of the new Blu-ray when Bulma was laying on that bed thing and the orange bricks made it so bright you couldn't see anything? haha I wanna see how these compare to that. :P
Here you go http://i5.minus.com/ii7NAdoDPOnDT.png .
Edit: Here is the same shot from the orange bricks I got it from another thread http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/ ... 171141.png
Hahahaha thanks so much bud. Good lord look at her haha :lol: Not a whole lot better but it is better than the Orange Bricks haha
RocktheDragon wrote:So today I received my Season 2 BD and the slip cover was heavily damaged. :lol: I went ahead and requested a replacement from Amazon so that should be here Saturday or Monday. And I do want to reiterate too that 17 dollars (in some states at least without tax) is a phenomenal deal for a season of DBZ on BD even if the picture isn't everything we could hope for.
You're scaring me from ordering hahaha :P But then again if I don't buy season 2 a little quickly then they might end up like the first season where dummies online try to jack the price up so high you can get it. :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

thekingfallsdown
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thekingfallsdown » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:56 pm

Well let me state the Dbz Kai, is NOT dragonball z. At least not in it's entirety... I do enjoy KAI to a big degree, but you miss out on a bunch of stuff. (for those arguing against filler, there is a fast forward button on your remote you know..

Also I didn't say the bluerays were perfect :P Far from it actually, but it's miles ahead of what it could have been which at 20$ a season is a damn good deal. (At release I may state, the orange bricks were MUCH more expensive when released, and for a lot worse of a product.

Oh and yeah a LOT of people have been getting damaged dvd cases... There's a fair amount of youtube reviews in which the case is damaged.This being an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24UWQLApZJg

This is one of the only reasons I'm holding out on buying these blueray sets, as to I don't want to deal with getting my hopes up for a damaged product. (Beyond the damage 16:9 already does) Anymore thoughts? Dbz discussions fascinate me so continue....
Currently enjoying Anime, Music, Tv shows, and Final Fantasy XII. Follow my twitter for conversation! @thekingfallsdwn

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:01 pm

thekingfallsdown wrote:(for those arguing against filler, there is a fast forward button on your remote you know..
:lol: Because having to fast-forward every time filler occurs in one of the most notoriously filler-ridden animes of all time is so convenient, right?

matiasdf

Post by matiasdf » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:01 pm

Could it be that MAYBE, just maybe, they used just the OB masters? Why would otherwise have had the series remastered at 1080p resolution if they just used it for a 480p release?

BTW, could anyone do a OB vs. BD comparison of the filler scene where Bulma takes a bath and Dr. Briefs tells him that Goku is going to Namek?

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Something's bothering me about that Bulma shot, as well as the Fake Namek one shown before. It seems to have a yellowish tint compared to what's on the Orange Bricks. A part of me wonders if that was intentional, as if to counteract just how bright those scenes were originally... am I overthinking this?
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:26 pm

bkev wrote:Something's bothering me about that Bulma shot, as well as the Fake Namek one shown before. It seems to have a yellowish tint compared to what's on the Orange Bricks. A part of me wonders if that was intentional, as if to counteract just how bright those scenes were originally... am I overthinking this?
You still get crushed bright scenes regardless. Maybe they just forgot to color correct a few scenes.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

thekingfallsdown
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thekingfallsdown » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:35 pm

ErikB wrote:
thekingfallsdown wrote:(for those arguing against filler, there is a fast forward button on your remote you know..
:lol: Because having to fast-forward every time filler occurs in one of the most notoriously filler-ridden animes of all time is so convenient, right?
Well you have KAI for that. If I want to watch just the important stuff I just use KAI.
Currently enjoying Anime, Music, Tv shows, and Final Fantasy XII. Follow my twitter for conversation! @thekingfallsdwn

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:52 pm

bkev wrote:Something's bothering me about that Bulma shot, as well as the Fake Namek one shown before. It seems to have a yellowish tint compared to what's on the Orange Bricks. A part of me wonders if that was intentional, as if to counteract just how bright those scenes were originally... am I overthinking this?
There must be a problem with Funimation's masters for those episodes the yellow tint must be Funimation's cheap way of counteracting the damage that exists. From what I've seen the yellowish tint is present on the last few episodes of season 1 and the first few episodes of season 2. The quality of this set seems to vary.
Kendamu wrote:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:41 pm

qjz123 wrote:the yellow tint must be Funimation's cheap way of counteracting the damage that exists..
It's probably just crappy film, or degradation; much like the varying color casts on the Dragon Boxes.
Luso Saiyan wrote:
qjz123 wrote:Here are some more random screen shots from some of the earlier episodes in the set. http://min.us/mBs8x74AiUYTX
Those seem to have a nice level of contrast overall.
Around the same as the DVD. People forget that most of Season Two looked decent color wise. It was only a handful of episodes that were super bright.

Speaking of which, we need shots from the overly bright episodes. I'm talking 42 and 66:

Last edited by Metalwario64 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:43 pm

qjz123 wrote:Here you go http://i5.minus.com/ii7NAdoDPOnDT.png .
Edit: Here is the same shot from the orange bricks I got it from another thread http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/ ... 171141.png
Well, I guess Metalwario64 can't say the Orange Bricks aren't better after all? The later "seasons" tend to look really good (S8/S9) but there's just no defending for the early ones.

The Season BDs are quite an improvement but that yellowed colouring just looks awkward they could've colour corrected it if possible.
This batch of screenshots look very decent so it's a mixed bag no doubt.

Anyway, for people that want to watch Dragon Ball Z this release is perfectly serviceable or get the following:

1) DBZ Level Episodes 001-039 (Saiyan arc 1080p)
2) DBZ Season 2 & 3 (Namek & Freeza arcs)
3) DBZ Single DVDs (Artificial Humans arc through Majin Boo's arc)

But I really doubt anyone would actually buy those three different releases just to get a 4x3-ish release, most will just purchase the Season BDs and that's it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:44 pm

I'm very impressed and pleased that FUNi's porting over their old extras like the "Goku VS Vegeta" featurette, even if it was mostly fluff. Hopefully all of the extras produced for these blu-rays will be ported to all future releases.

At least that's one area in which these sets can arguably be called "definitive."
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:49 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Well, I guess Metalwario64 can't say the Orange Bricks aren't better after all? The later "seasons" tend to look really good (S8/S9) but there's just no defending for the early ones.
The early episodes of S2 on DVD look atrocious, but some of the episodes ranging from Zarbon to early Ginyu look quite good. Then once the "35mm" (in quotes because FUNi's film is still 16mm) episodes come, it looks reasonably decent again. Those episodes I think still look at least as good, and in some cases slightly better on the orange bricks, and I'd at least argue that anyone "upgrading" from the OBs to the new Blu-rays would only be truly upgrading for a handful of episodes. Heck, for these episodes the footage isn't even much sharper on the Blu-rays, and looks very smeared. The disappearing lines on the DVDs really suck, but even still I think footage is barely improved overall, which is a problem considering it's in HD.

Of course, it also goes without saying that it's just my opinion.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:33 pm

I totally agree with you metalwario64, FUNi knows what they're doing. Just get your pokets ready to buy another DBZ release in 2 to 3 years.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:39 pm

matiasdf wrote:Could it be that MAYBE, just maybe, they used just the OB masters? Why would otherwise have had the series remastered at 1080p resolution if they just used it for a 480p release?

BTW, could anyone do a OB vs. BD comparison of the filler scene where Bulma takes a bath and Dr. Briefs tells him that Goku is going to Namek?
They obviously didn't considering the different colors, framing and lack of vanishing lines.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:42 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they re-used the original telecine performed for the Level sets and then applied their filtering.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]