"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:38 pm

-We know who's going to live by EOZ
well....there Beerus, Whis, Jaco, and i don't believe any of the Kai's were show at EOZ. so they're all expendable in Super. Plus they could add tons of characters to kill if we really need a bloodbath so badly. (which isn't going to happen.)
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:41 pm

Okay here is that Vegeta image scaled down to the BoG and "F" images provided by ALG :
Not bad, not bad at all. "F" still looks superior but the Vegeta from Super looks on par with BoG, still too early to tell I know but very promising.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:44 pm

Ushabtis wrote:-We know who's going to live by EOZ
well....there Beerus, Whis, Jaco, and i don't believe any of the Kai's were show at EOZ. so they're all expendable in Super. Plus they could add tons of characters to kill if we really need a bloodbath so badly. (which isn't going to happen.)
It's just not about characters dying, that's just one part of the argument. Someone turns evil? Well, we know everyone is a good guy at the end. Trunks becomes stronger than Goku? Well we know he's a slacker by EoZ, so that's not staying for long. Earth got blown up? Well, they're on Earth at the end, so it's gonna be okay. Someone gets sick and the senzus nor the DBs can fix him up? Well, he's fine at the end. Mr. Satan finally gets revealed for the fraud he is?! At the end he's still famous, so the Champ is gonna kick someone's ass in the future.

It just doesn't work well.

The only timeskip in the series, imo, where a new installment would work well is between the RRA arc and the 22nd TB. There's restrictions obviously, like nobody can die and Goku can't get too strong, but I feel like there's a huge potential to explore the world in that time period. And Earth's martial arts experts never got too explored, we only know of two schools. Other timeskips don't work well. Between the Daimao and 23rd TB arc we know nobody is a threat to Goku on Earth anymore. Between the 23rd TB and the Saiyan arc, we know it was a peaceful time. Between the Saiyan and Freeza arcs there was no time and between the Freeza and Cell arcs they had already beaten the supposed strongest being in the universe. If it's just a matter of exploring the universe (or other universes), they could have easily done that, while keeping the tension high, post-epilogue.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:49 pm

I'm so hyped! this series is going to be awesome. I need to see more of Goku and Vegeta tag teaming like they kind of did Vs. Majin Buu and Golden Freezer.
Gohan needs to step up and get back to the level he had in the Buu Arc, the kids are back so we will get more Gotenks, what isn't to love about that?.

Anyhow, I assume the new site will launch in the next few hours, it's approaching 6am in Japan, assuming they'll be launching in the morning.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Okay here is that Vegeta image scaled down to the BoG and "F" images provided by ALG :
Not bad, not bad at all. "F" still looks superior but the Vegeta from Super looks on par with BoG, still too early to tell I know but very promising.
They just CAN'T screw up with his face more than they did in BOG. He definitely looks better in ROF but there's something...off. I can't point it out. I just can't persuade myself that he's the same Vegeta from the Buu arc.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Doctor. wrote:Between the Daimao and 23rd TB arc we know nobody is a threat to Goku on Earth anymore.
That would also be a good spot for extra stories, though, since we know Goku never leaves the Lookout you can have the other fighters do things without Goku swooping in to save/disgrace them.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:52 pm

well just because Trunks doesn't surpass Goku in a 5 year gap isn't that crazy. I'm not sure why people are expecting Goten, Gohan, and Trunks becoming super OP fighters. they will definitly do something cool in Super, just because those 3 characters don't eat, sleep and breathe training every day like their fathers doesn't mean they will get weak and become Yamcha's
Doctor. wrote:Mr. Satan finally gets revealed for the fraud he is?! At the end he's still famous, so the Champ is gonna kick someone's ass in the future.
thats over the line good sir, Mr. Satan Saves the earth million times by himself with both hands tied behind his back and will continue to do so.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Doctor. wrote:It's just not about characters dying, that's just one part of the argument. Someone turns evil? Well, we know everyone is a good guy at the end. Trunks becomes stronger than Goku? Well we know he's a slacker by EoZ, so that's not staying for long. Earth got blown up? Well, they're on Earth at the end, so it's gonna be okay. Someone gets sick and the senzus nor the DBs can fix him up? Well, he's fine at the end. Mr. Satan finally gets revealed for the fraud he is?! At the end he's still famous, so the Champ is gonna kick someone's ass in the future.

It just doesn't work well.
This is Toriyama's series you know. He has full authority to retcon the End of Z to absolute oblivion if he wants. He could end the series with all the Namekians dead, no Dragon Balls, and the Earth vaporized with all our heroes dead. He's not contractually obligated to keep to that small epilogue (if he even remembers it well at all).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:55 pm

Avery wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Okay here is that Vegeta image scaled down to the BoG and "F" images provided by ALG :
They just CAN'T screw up with his face more than they did in BOG. He definitely looks better in ROF but there's something...off. I can't point it out. I just can't persuade myself that he's the same Vegeta from the Buu arc.
IMO it's the nose.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Doctor. wrote:It's just not about characters dying, that's just one part of the argument. Someone turns evil? Well, we know everyone is a good guy at the end. Trunks becomes stronger than Goku? Well we know he's a slacker by EoZ, so that's not staying for long. Earth got blown up? Well, they're on Earth at the end, so it's gonna be okay. Someone gets sick and the senzus nor the DBs can fix him up? Well, he's fine at the end. Mr. Satan finally gets revealed for the fraud he is?! At the end he's still famous, so the Champ is gonna kick someone's ass in the future.
You seriously believe any of those things had any chance of happen in the end of Super if it started after EoZ? Someone turning evil with no return, Trunks becoming stronger than Goku, Earth vanishing and everyone moving to God knows where...really?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:03 pm

Araki wrote:
You seriously believe any of those things had any chance of happen in the end of Super if it started after EoZ? Someone turning evil with no return, Trunks becoming stronger than Goku, Earth vanishing and everyone moving to God knows where...really?
Earth being blown up and someone staying evil no. But the rest? Sure. Someone can stay dead, GT did that and if the series ended at the Cell arc, it would have done that too. It did, actually, with the future timeline and the past. The series ended with Gohan stronger than Goku, too, and multiple times other characters (like Piccolo for example) were stronger than him as well, to the point you couldn't know how an arc would end.

Nevertheless,t hat's not the point. The point isn't whether or not those things will happen, the point is that the small chance they might is what's exciting.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:07 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
Avery wrote:
IMO it's the nose.
It could be the angle though. But now RoF looks...eww. His eyes are weird. The ears aren't as detailed. And that GODDAMN glossy skin.
So, a low-budget FILLER from the 90s is more detailed than a high budget movie with all this technology? :wtf:
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:11 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:I'm so hyped! this series is going to be awesome. I need to see more of Goku and Vegeta tag teaming like they kind of did Vs. Majin Buu and Golden Freezer.
Gohan needs to step up and get back to the level he had in the Buu Arc, the kids are back so we will get more Gotenks, what isn't to love about that?.

Anyhow, I assume the new site will launch in the next few hours, it's approaching 6am in Japan, assuming they'll be launching in the morning.
I keep refreshing the Super website every ten minutes in hopes of an update! Golly this all exciting! :)

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:13 pm

WOW.

Long time, no see. So much has gone on since I've been gone that it ain't even funny. There's a lot I have to catch up on following my long absence... but, since this is the thread for one specific thing in particular...

A new series.

A new series was always one of those things I would have consistently bet my left nut that it would never, ever happen. And I would have one less testicle today had I actually made such a bet. Jesus farkin' Christ. I can't believe that we are actually staring this sucker down, with less than a month to go before we have the first new episodic series since GT ended.

I heard about it some time ago, but my assumption was that it was along the lines of an AF or Hoshi type deal. Certainly nothing official.

Well, fuck.

I have not actually seen Resurrection F. My understanding, though, is that Goten and Trunks make no appearances in that particular film. (Which I wish I had known before making this.) That was disappointing to me, for reasons made obvious by my sig. So you can imagine my shock and joy when the two of them wound up featuring so heavily in the fifteen second trailer for Super. What a great way for me to reenter the Dragon World community proper. The vibe from what I saw was overwhelmingly positive and a great note on which to start up my usual shit.

I haven't reviewed this thread in its entirety... haven't really had the leisure time, hence my absence up to this point... but the impression I'm get from glancing through it seems to be that a lot of folks wanted this to be an EoZ series. I don't know that I have an honest preference, myself. More relevant to me is that new DragonBall is happening at ALL, which is simply astounding to me in and of itself, and rather than being insistent on a particular timeframe or setting, my hopes are pinned more on the series simply doing well in terms of viewership and merchandise sales. GT, for any number of reasons that will be hotly debated across space and time in perpetuity, most obviously did not... so this is almost like a second chance for us, one upon which the very future of the DragonBall franchise would invariably hinge. So I would say, let's hope for something fun that will draw in big numbers, and THEN hope for specific characters or scenarios or whatever. That's going to be my take on it until we really get going, at least. It's not unnatural to want certain things, but nor is it set in stone that we'll never get them either. Let's just get off the ground with this thing first and see where it goes.

I do love the trailer. Not just because it has Goten in it, but rather more because it's the usual cryptic Toei bullshit that gets people talking. We have a smattering of quick character cameos with nothing absolute in terms of plot or timeframe. (Trunks has some sort of non-descript glass bottle? That's not television, that's COMPELLEVISION!) I hope people weren't expecting concrete answers to burning questions from fifteen seconds of footage.

The reaction does, however, make me worried for what it's going to be like when the show actually begins pounding out episodes. This is the first time DragonBall is airing new, ongoing material alongside widespread use of the internet; reading through the more colorful nitpicks is going to be about as fun as getting buttfucked up the dick. I'm going to just throw this out into the space vacuum and ask that we all do our best to maintain a degree of professional attitude up until and especially after we do finally get to episode 1. I mean, seriously. We're being watched by both the community as a whole and even some of the powers that be... no, really! O.O... and will be viewed with ever increasing scrutiny as the show gets closer to air. Let's rock that Kanzenshuu forum shonen attitude that keeps old dogs like me coming back.

Alrighty, folks. Good to be back. Hey, do we have Boo arc Kai over here in the States yet or what? o.o
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I keep refreshing the Super website every ten minutes in hopes of an update! Golly this all exciting! :)
There's not much of a point to that. It's only a little after 6 AM in Japan right now. You'd be better off waiting another 6 hours or so until it gets to be around noon.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:24 pm

Damn, this is before the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai... Oh well, I'm still exited. :P

Trunks looks younger than 14-year-old Future Trunks, so I guess this takes place at most 1 year after FnF, and before Trunks got taller. I hope so, at least.

I didn't expect anything from this teaser, it's exactly what I expected actually. The only new thing we learned is that it doesn't take place after the ending of the manga.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:33 pm

Why are we thinking Turnks is short? we never saw him next to anyone except a Dinosaur trying to eat him. So his hair style hasn't changed, he could easily get a hair cut.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Ushabtis wrote:Why are we thinking Turnks is short?
Because otherwise he has a giant, monstrous head.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:39 pm

-About the trailer-
Hey look, Goten and Trunks are still kids, how surprising.

I have mixed feels overall.

Animation: I'm surprised in a good way. Since it would be a weekly series and nowadays Toei, I was afraid it could look bad. Its exactly like this that I wanted Super to look, I think its even better than i tought. Now, this is how Kai should look. It was just some second, but I loved what I saw.

Timeline/Story: Such a letdown, such a waste. Another wish of mine for Super denied. I wanted after EOZ. Now i wonder if Super will eventually go after that or we will be stuck inthese 10 year gap forever. Seems like they gonna milk these 10 "peaceful" years to the extreme.

Narrator will be like "Previously on DBZ: 10 years had passed and Goku left with Uub, but now lets go back in time because this sequel takes place before that". This isn't a DBZ sequel, more like Buu arc sequel. DBZ special edition.
The international version. like they did with DBZ Kai, may as well call this DBZ Super, because we are stuck in Z timeline forever with the new stuff.

Seems like it takes place before ROF. Pan isn't nowhere to be found and Goku still has his yellow ssj. Maybe a recap.

I don't even know what to expect by this point. Not sure if we will see another Gods or no. The teaser just screams Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return! OVA to me. I just hope we won't get shitty villains like Abo and Cabo.

Opening Song: Seems good, but not as catchy as the others. I need to hear more.

This is my thoughts. its just a teaser and there's still so much I don't know.
I'm hyped, I know it will be good, but the timeline bugs me.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.