Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 64

Post by nite_jay » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:32 pm

Ajay wrote:Wow, yeah. Shimanuki really is pretty much back in full swing with his character art. Whether he's animating or just providing 2nd KA remains to be seen. There's a beam blast cut in the NEP that looks like he animated it, but yeah, we'll see.

Either way, look at that!

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I have the utmost respect for him going back and reevaluating his older work in an attempt to improve his current art. It cannot be stated enough.

Shimanuki of course animated the original Vegetto fusion scene. I wonder if he'll be animating it again? That'd be really cool to see.
It's amazing how with literally each episode he's in he gets better and better.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:32 pm

Shimanuki's improvement from episode to episode is really something to behold, he went from being rather mediocre to being great. I early await what he gives us in the next arc!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:36 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:So it seems like Shida had about 8 weeks of prep time for his episode (EP65). Was that less time that what he had to work with when he did his cut in EP57 or more? I can't seem to recall.
It'll actually have been 10 weeks from 57 to 66. We don't know exactly how long Shida had on his last cut, but it was a minimum of 7 weeks.
My God. My math failed me spectacularly there. :shifty:
Ajay wrote:Wow, yeah. Shimanuki really is pretty much back in full swing with his character art. Whether he's animating or just providing 2nd KA remains to be seen. There's a beam blast cut in the NEP that looks like he animated it, but yeah, we'll see.

Either way, look at that!

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I have the utmost respect for him going back and reevaluating his older work in an attempt to improve his current art. It cannot be stated enough.

Shimanuki of course animated the original Vegetto fusion scene. I wonder if he'll be animating it again? That'd be really cool to see.
I'm so happy that Shimanuki has returned to form in the way he has. It also really highlights just how complacent Yamamuro has gotten. Yamamuro is more than content with his at best average art style, while with every opportunity given to him in each episode he's assigned, Shimanuki has worked hard to get back to his best.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:09 pm

I spotted Shida at the end of this episode too, no? The Zamasu reaction scenes at the end to ki blast

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:27 pm

Well that episode was really cool.

Tate did the vast majority of the animation and for the most part it looked really good. However, his work here is really rough, but I kinda like it that way.

Special shoutout to his effects animation, which were littered throughout the entire episode and looked fantastic, I really like the cartoonish smoke clouds that are his explosions. Thats not to say he didn't do any interesting movement throughout the episode, the first thing that comes to mind is Goku and Vegeta charging at Zamasu, destroying his totallynotstand, and attempting to punch him only to get blocked, I thought that flowed really nicely. Also lots of reused animation, lots and lots of it.

I'm pretty sure Futoshi did the Trunks scene with him charging Zamasu as well as the three way beam struggle near the end. All of which looked really pleasant.

Overall a very solid episode and massive step up from last week. In my opinion, a lot better than ep 56. Also hype, SHIDA next week.

-

Also I have a request for a Webm, if anyone is willing to do it.

Could someone get the scene when Goku and Vegeta charged, destroyed Zamasu's totallynotstand, and got blocked by Zamasu. If possible, could you remove that frame of Goku and Vegeta charging that was reused three times, the one that had the speed lines around it and they just changed the background of, if so, thanks a lot, it would be very much appreciated.
[spoiler]ImageImageImage[/spoiler]
Last edited by JazzMazz on Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:28 pm

All right, does anyone have these shots?
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:40 pm

I noticed the impact frame when they transformed. Great stuff. I think what Super needs now is more blood. Thankfully they've at least given us a little bit but it really could use some more.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:40 pm

DragonHermit wrote:I spotted Shida at the end of this episode too, no? The Zamasu reaction scenes at the end to ki blast
Yep. That was definitely Shida you saw in the NEP.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:55 pm

I personally think that Shimanuki is probably just going to show up as a key animator, I guess the next episode his supervising mustn't be all that important if his doing a lot of work on next weeks ep.

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:57 pm

This looks A.W.E.S.O.M.E

And i LOVE the way Goku and Vegeta transforms here. These little flash effects are so rare in Super compared to Z
Last edited by BakaManiaHD on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kill me

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:01 pm

I wonder who this was, it gives me PreCure vibes.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:14 pm

JazzMazz wrote:I personally think that Shimanuki is probably just going to show up as a key animator, I guess the next episode his supervising mustn't be all that important if his doing a lot of work on next weeks ep.
Not necessarily. Tate did a lot of animation on 63 but this was an important episode that turned out great imo. Not a lot of hand to hand fighting but god damn the effects looked good. The return of beam ki blasts, and ss impact effects made me so happy too.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:44 pm

kinisking wrote:Not necessarily. Tate did a lot of animation on 63 but this was an important episode that turned out great imo. Not a lot of hand to hand fighting but god damn the effects looked good. The return of beam ki blasts, and ss impact effects made me so happy too.
Thats true, and you can very clearly see the effect his work on 63 had on this episode, with shite tons of reused animation throughout. I say this taking into account that Shimanuki isn't the fastest animator. In truth only the future will tell, this is just an observation on my half.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:18 am

Yoo! That NEP!! I'm amazed I'm saying this, but the hype is absolutely real.
Some of the scenes look off the charts (for DBS) like the Kamehameha or Zamasu powering up.

About this episode. Lots of poorly made scenes, faraway shots and missing details, but I absolutely loved some of the choices and scenes. These in particular:
[spoiler]Image

Or Trunks and Zamasu's clash.[/spoiler]
ArchedThunder wrote:I wonder who this was, it gives me PreCure vibes.
I love this style. The shots involving Zamasu in this exchange were pretty good.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:26 am

Anime Kitten wrote:All right, does anyone have these shots?
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:03 am

Serviceable episode. Much much better than the disappointment that was last week. Nothing extraordinary but Tate's effects were on full display. I liked it. Him doing KA for #63 might've affected his work in this episode. A lot of it was rough work, but still it was decent.

NEP has everyone hyped and I'm too cause it looks outstanding. I hope the arc ends next week. It's the finale everyone wanted to see, Fusion vs Fusion and Shida's involvement makes it all the more better. I'm betting his work will be a lot better than #57.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:20 am

I love this really quick shot of Vegetto zipping past the camera in the NEP. He looks awesome.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:34 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I love this really quick shot of Vegetto zipping past the camera in the NEP. He looks awesome.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I'm pretty sure thats Shida, the shading in his hands sort of gives it away.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:34 am

https://twitter.com/ken_oo/status/795137882088357888

Ken Otsuka did some KA for next week!!

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:54 am

Psykomatik wrote:https://twitter.com/ken_oo/status/795137882088357888

Ken Otsuka did some KA for next week!!
That's great news ! Hope that he does some KA for Super in the future as well.