Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:10 am

Did anyone notice if Goku SSJ4 is taller than Goku SSJB?
He should be a bit taller than him. When Goku Xeno transformed into SSJ4 he seemed to become a bit bigger but i'm not sure if it weren't just muscles.
I'm just curious if they didn't forget that SSJ4 makes people taller.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:25 am

That was the worst animated Dragon Ball thing I have ever seen. It was uninspired and just lazily put together. The animation was almost non-existent and the plot is extremely rushed. I knew this wouldn’t have been anything impressive and the trailer confirmed it already, but I was at least expecting a short yet decent battle between the two Gokus, and yet it was even worse than the fast skirmishes we always see in Heroes promotional videos. There weren’t even any interesting interactions and the storyboard was the blandest thing ever.
Hopefully we will at the very least get an interesting battle between Vegetto and Cumber. I am not expecting anything incredible, but at least give us a little martial arts choreography, which nowadays is the only interesting thing Yamamuro seems to be able to provide.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:21 am

emperior wrote:It was uninspired and just lazily put together. The animation was almost non-existent and the plot is extremely rushed. I knew this wouldn’t have been anything impressive and the trailer confirmed it already, but I was at least expecting a short yet decent battle between the two Gokus, and yet it was even worse than the fast skirmishes we always see in Heroes promotional videos.
This just about sums up my opinion of this thing. The first thing I noticed when watching the episode was the animation (how stiff everything felt), and Goku vs Goku was extremely underwhelming, especially the Kamehameha clash. Something's just "lacking" throughout the episode in general. Though I'll say the art was pretty good.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:36 am

Well, this was about as bad as expected. Doesn't look like we'll get even one decent fight scene out of this either. At least the voice acting was solid? Dunno why anyone expected this to be good.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:43 am

emperior wrote:That was the worst animated Dragon Ball thing I have ever seen.
That honor still belongs to Bio-Broly. At least this just lasted 5 minutes. :lol:

It's a shame they're wasting such an interesting plot on heroes, same goes with the demon realm arc it had last year.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:47 am

I don't like how DBH makes everyone able to go SSJ4 without a tail.
Goku Xeno doesn't have it. GT Vegeta didn't have it and GT Gohan didn't have it as well.
Not to mention that Gohan shouldn't even be able to achieve SSJ4 being hybrid saiyan but who cares, he did it.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:49 am

Is Heroes a sequel series to Super? I've barely been paying attention to this, but people keep talking about it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:53 am

ABED wrote:Is Heroes a sequel series to Super? I've barely been paying attention to this, but people keep talking about it.
No, it just uses characters and plot elements from DBS.

It doesn't effect the main continuity, but the main continuity is sometimes involved in it as it progresses, mainly for "cool factor".

Only the upcoming movie will continue the official DBS story; DBH is its own thing.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:56 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:Goku Xeno doesn't have it.
Same as Dragon Ball GT's TV Special Goku but can you say he is not able to transform into Super Saiyan 4 anymore? We don't know where he comes from, so the method/logic for Super Saiyan 4 may be different.
sunsetshimmer wrote:GT Gohan didn't have it as well.
It is part of his what-if. Gohan had a tail in his childhood, therefore, the logic applied to Goku works on him as well. He can have his tail back.
sunsetshimmer wrote:Not to mention that Gohan shouldn't even be able to achieve SSJ4 being hybrid saiyan
Is there any official source for that?
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:00 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
ABED wrote:Is Heroes a sequel series to Super? I've barely been paying attention to this, but people keep talking about it.
No, it just uses characters and plot elements from DBS.

It doesn't effect the main continuity, but the main continuity is sometimes involved in it as it progresses, mainly for "cool factor".

Only the upcoming movie will continue the official DBS story; DBH is its own thing.
Thanks, how long is this expected to last and what's the basic premise of Heroes?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:15 am

Grimlock wrote: Same as Dragon Ball GT's TV Special Goku but can you say he is not able to transform into Super Saiyan 4 anymore? We don't know where he comes from, so the method/logic for Super Saiyan 4 may be different.
Well it was never shown if he can go SSJ4 or not. But if tail wasn't needed after first transformation then Vegeta would be able to go SSJ4 again without using Bulma's machine that temporary brought back his tail. But after he lost SSJ4 he couldn't transform again because he still didn't have a tail.
Grimlock wrote: Is there any official source for that?
Well, it's not really stated, but suggested. Bulma said that Baby Vegeta couldn't transform into SSJ4 because of Baby's cells in his body.
But since Baby Vegeta could go SSJ and even Golden Oozaru then i see no reason why would SSJ4 have some magic anti-Tuffle mechanism. I always thought Bulma suggested that he wasn't full-blood saiyan when Baby was in his body so he couldn't transform.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:22 am

sintzu wrote:
emperior wrote:That was the worst animated Dragon Ball thing I have ever seen.
That honor still belongs to Bio-Broly. At least this just lasted 5 minutes. :lol:

It's a shame they're wasting such an interesting plot on heroes, same goes with the demon realm arc it had last year.
But Bio Broly was at least well animated and had a lot of really fantastic action to it.

I don't think you can say that about the Heroes anime.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:34 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:Well it was never shown if he can go SSJ4 or not. But if tail wasn't needed after first transformation then Vegeta would be able to go SSJ4 again without using Bulma's machine that temporary brought back his tail. But after he lost SSJ4 he couldn't transform again because he still didn't have a tail.
Oh, I completely forgot about Vegeta. I think we have to see between the lines in Gohan's case. We can't expect to see them using Bulma's machine or seeing some alien transforming into a big pliers to pull his tail out in a one-minute long trailer or even in-game (since it was the GDM series occurring and the what-ifs forms were getting a little bit more of explanation slowly). Take Broly as an example, he transforms because of Blue Shenlong in JM7 trailer, and the context was indeed the Shadow Dragons back in the day, the Blue Shenlong wasn't there randomly/out of his place, so we were lucky to have his explanation explicit.
sunsetshimmer wrote:Well, it's not really stated, but suggested. Bulma said that Baby Vegeta couldn't transform into SSJ4 because of Baby's cells in his body.
But since Baby Vegeta could go SSJ and even Golden Oozaru then i see no reason why would SSJ4 have some magic anti-Tuffle mechanism. I always thought Bulma suggested that he wasn't full-blood saiyan when Baby was in his body so he couldn't transform.
I think that since Baby had taken over Vegeta's body, his predominance/cells prevented Vegeta from getting calm, which is a requirement for Super Saiyan 4. And since Vegeta didn't have any control of his body, that would be the reason why he couldn't transform into Super Saiyan 4 by that time. But this is too much speculation, I don't think we should assume/think that Super Saiyan 4 is just for pure Saiyans.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:14 pm

JazzMazz wrote:But Bio Broly was at least well animated and had a lot of really fantastic action to it.

I don't think you can say that about the Heroes anime.
It looked better but heroes only lasted for 5 minutes. We had to suffer 45 minutes of Bio-Broly. I like every Z movie (original 13) as even the worst of them still have something redeemable but not Bio-Broly.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:15 pm

For what is worth, this is what the info blurb on the Figure Rise SSJ 4 models states

Goku
The Super Saiyan 4 mode brings the user's power to the absolute limit. Only Super Saiyans who turn into a Great Ape, yet still have conscious control, can transform into this form, which is characterized by red body fur, black hair, and a calm yet belligerent personality. Because the form is based on the Great Ape, it supposedly requires exposure to Blutz Waves, but Goku seems to be an exception and can transform at will.
Vegeta
The Super Saiyan 4 mode brings the user's power to the absolute limit. Only Super Saiyans who turn into a Great Ape, yet still have conscious control, can transform into this form, which is characterized by red body fur, black hair, and a calm yet belligerent personality. Unlike Son Goku, Vegeta cannot transform into this form at his own will, but he can with the help of the Blutz Wave Generator developed by Bulma
So SSJ4 Goku is an anomaly of sorts to begin with.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:18 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:For what is worth, this is what the info blurb on the Figure Rise SSJ 4 models states

Goku
The Super Saiyan 4 mode brings the user's power to the absolute limit. Only Super Saiyans who turn into a Great Ape, yet still have conscious control, can transform into this form, which is characterized by red body fur, black hair, and a calm yet belligerent personality. Because the form is based on the Great Ape, it supposedly requires exposure to Blutz Waves, but Goku seems to be an exception and can transform at will.
Vegeta
The Super Saiyan 4 mode brings the user's power to the absolute limit. Only Super Saiyans who turn into a Great Ape, yet still have conscious control, can transform into this form, which is characterized by red body fur, black hair, and a calm yet belligerent personality. Unlike Son Goku, Vegeta cannot transform into this form at his own will, but he can with the help of the Blutz Wave Generator developed by Bulma
So SSJ4 Goku is an anomaly of sorts to begin with.
Both Goku and Vegeta needed the waves to become a great ape but unlike Goku, Vegeta didn't pull his tail out so he can't transform at will like Goku can. It has nothing to do with Goku being special.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:23 pm

Wasn't gonna tune in but being 8mins may aswell and it was well a shower of crap in just about every regard but it's an 8 min promotional anime so it's to be expected. But I am severally disappointed in the lack of interaction between the Goku's even more so than the fight tbh since interactions is what I live for in DB.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Just watched this with friends and they loved it :lol:
They're excited for the story, reactions are always different from what you see online

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:27 pm

sintzu wrote:Both Goku and Vegeta needed the waves to become a great ape but unlike Goku, Vegeta didn't pull his tail out so he can't transform at will like Goku can. It has nothing to do with Goku being special.
The blurbs imply that SSJ4 (just like the Great Ape), can only be achieved when there's a direct source of Blutz Waves but Goku has no need for it for some reason. The fact Vegeta could achieve the form merely by overloading in Blutz waves points out to the tail being a secondary requirement.

As for the episode itself, while it does suck is only eight minutes long, I enjoyed it. Is more of an extended videogame cutscene rather than an actual anime episode. Simply being able to see SSJ4 fully animated once again is worth the whole thing.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:44 pm

I thought it was okay. Short, but fine.

As for the discussion on if only pure blooded Saiyans could go SS4, I remember that being the rumor years ago, but I don't know if there is any credit to it. Granted, this is the Dragon Ball series, where the rules can change at any moment, AND SS4 comes from a dead noncanon series and we'll likely never see it in canonical material again. But I think Gohan should be able to go SS4, if his tail were brought back. I think anyone who could become an Oozaru can become a Super Saiyan 4, and Gohan had that going for him in early Z.