Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by capsulecorp » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:44 am

Cipher wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:03 am [*] I think the movie had the best comedy directing of the Toriyama movies, which is an element I’ve had issues with before—it's the most in line with his kind of simultaneously dry, silly scripting. A lot of the elements that tended to bother people in bullet-point leaks are delivered with his usual wry tone. You’ll either be okay with them, or you didn’t enjoy the Boo arc.
This is very exciting to hear, there have been some great combat moments in DBS but I think the comedy elements are by far the strongest.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:52 am

These spoilers were pretty wild. I probably would've had more problems with some of them if this came out years ago. Now I just want to enjoy the ride until the series is over. I'll still give it a chance but probably wait for streaming. I hope we don't have to wait four years for the next film :P.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:56 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:42 am I think at this stage Toriyama needs to pack it in. If Big Green Orange Piccolo, Psuedo Ultra Instinct Rage Boost Gohan, Bulma using the Dragon Balls to wish for a bigger ass, Goten and Trunks failing at the fusion dance and a brainless second form version of Cell are the best story beats we can get from Toriyama when he has over three years to work on the story of the movie, I think he DESPERATELY needs some to support him creatively. It's such a crapshoot when Toriyama get full reigns to write his own story these days because, for every Battle Of Gods and DBS Broly he provides, he also gives Ressurection F and Dragon Ball Minus.
I'm pretty sure he was fed most of that by whoever wants him to write these movies. They're probably like, "Piccolo's still a very popular character, please make him strong and give him a new transformation. Gohan fans would like him to be cool again.

Not to mention Toriyama not giving a flying fuck what happens in the anime or manga continuities, effectively creating a third narrative continuity of Super, which in itself, means there's no version of Super with a singular streamlined and easy-to-follow narrative that connects to this movie. Continuity for modern Dragon Ball is a goddamn mess. Seriously, what are the events that proceed this movie within modern material?
I had mentioned many years back about the 3 separate continuities (excluding videogames and SDBH). This movie drives that point home emphatically. It was obvious, so I'm not sure why people didn't see it before. If you squint and explain it really quickly (so no one asks any questions) you could still maybe connect the movies and the manga.
It seems like this movie exists within a vacuum.
The movies have always been their own continuity ... outside of mentions to Jiren and the Tournament of Power. They should've probably done a movie on that to makes things less confusing.
I have a bad feeling this movie may enter the category of "so bad, it's good", with how absolutely absurd it appears in the final act. And that is NOT what I want from a Dragon Ball film in 2022. It should be better than that.
This rolls right into my opinion about what I'm hearing about the movie. I love it! Listen, I've been turning my brain off with this series now since the U6 tournament. That's because I love DB and that's the only way I can enjoy it without my brain exploding. I don't expect anything complex or overly original, but with that said, this movie does everything else I'd want. It gives others a chance to shine, has stupid fun slice-of-life and comedy moments which shows new dimensions to the characters, it gives Piccolo and Gohan f***ing AGENCY
. I had to write that as a spoiler because they never get that. Is DBS: SH perfect, from the sounds of it, hell no! But it's a step in the right direction and shows that either the creators at Toei/Dragon Room have been having the same misgivings many of us fans have or perhaps they are just listening to us. And why not, they'd be crazy not to. Piccolo, Gohan, Goten, and Trunks are always voted as some of the most popular characters despite the weak to lukewarm treatment they've been getting these last 9 years or so.

Anyways, this definitely sounds like DBS FANSERVICE: THE MOVIE and I'm here for it.
I think what seems to bother me the most from what I've learned about this movie is how inconsequential it sounds. Much like Resurrection F, it doesn't feel like a natural extension of any plotline in the anime or manga continuities. This movie sounds like it wants to do its own thing. And I'm not averse to Toriyama wanting to play with his toybox. But did this story need to be a full-length movie? It honestly sounds like it would have served better as a three-episode filler arc if the TV anime came back. And if the TV anime doesn't come back, then showcase it as a TV special or a two-part OVA. I just can't help but feel like with the story being told, it didn't justify nearly 4 years of production, especially if this movie doesn't actually lead to anything significant for any of the characters.
I honestly think all the movies suffer from this, even BoG despite it being the strongest of the bunch. Broly and RoF were especially weak for me. But I expect this from DB now. This one sounds much more complete than the last two movies.

I think all the movies have had lasting consequences that have permeated throughout the show, manga, and movies. I mean Beerus and Whis, Frieza, and God Forms have a heavy influence on the narrative to this day. And with the movies, Broly and his crew are a part of the cast basically. We have yet to see how Super Hero will change anything but it literally just came out.
I personally would save the major shakeups for the series anyway but the movies often try for more than that.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:23 am

mute_proxy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:19 am Hmm.. Maybe Gohan's white form is related to...
I was thinking that too. Logically this would be the case.
Skar wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:52 am These spoilers were pretty wild. I probably would've had more problems with some of them if this came out years ago. Now I just want to enjoy the ride until the series is over. I'll still give it a chance but probably wait for streaming. I hope we don't have to wait four years for the next film :P.
Same here, especially if this was after RoF.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:34 am

Gohan notes that even had his father and Vegeta been around, they may not have been able to defeat Cell Max. Piccolo says that’s exactly why it’s important for Gohan to stay prepared

Dunno who is more stupid. Piccolo believing in it or Gohan

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:34 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:35 am So after reading a lot of spoiler summaries, is it actually true that
Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:42 am
The fun here is in the characters and their scripting. It’s couched in a series of silly events because it’s a 90-minute action movie.

Isn’t it better it stands on its own, more or less? There’s still an ongoing serialization.

Although some elements will certainly be maintained moving forward, as it does introduce lasting changes.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:59 am

I can hardly see Gohan's transformation being one of those "lasting changes". It's one of those things I can only believe after seeing it.

He will slack off, as he always did. He will have to undergo something to be able to transform into this new form. I highly doubt they'll simply write Gohan in any different way other than what we've been seeing. If the 28th tournament part is anything to go by, then this is all but confirmed already, he slacked off (for another two years). I would really like to know where this is going, or if this will turn out to be a colossal waste of Gohan's time.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:33 pm

BWri wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:56 am Goten, and Trunks are always voted as some of the most popular characters despite the weak to lukewarm treatment they've been getting these last 9 years or so.m
Really? I'm not sure what did they ever do to deserve that, beyond being sons of the lead main characters. They screwed up fighting Buu, and now they slacked to the point of losing Super Saiyan AND Fusion. All this hype for them growing up and that's how it ends.

I think their best moments definitely come from Z movies that treated them with respect.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:44 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:59 am I can hardly see Gohan's transformation being one of those "lasting changes". It's one of those things I can only believe after seeing it.

He will slack off, as he always did. He will have to undergo something to be able to transform into this new form. I highly doubt they'll simply write Gohan in any different way other than what we've been seeing. If the 28th tournament part is anything to go by, then this is all but confirmed already, he slacked off (for another two years). I would really like to know where this is going, or if this will turn out to be a colossal waste of Gohan's time.
This is probably another one time form that we will never see again, just like those ridiculous DBS-anime forms. Also probably applies to DBS-manga forms we will probably never see outside of that manga unless DBS anime returns and tells the same arcs animated.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:48 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:33 pm
BWri wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:56 am Goten, and Trunks are always voted as some of the most popular characters despite the weak to lukewarm treatment they've been getting these last 9 years or so.m
Really? I'm not sure what did they ever do to deserve that, beyond being sons of the lead main characters. They screwed up fighting Buu, and now they slacked to the point of losing Super Saiyan AND Fusion. All this hype for them growing up and that's how it ends.

I think their best moments definitely come from Z movies that treated them with respect.
Say what you will about Bio-Broly, but I'd argue that that was their most amazing showing yet. I expected Gotenks to be a joke character in Super Hero, but looking back on it now, I don't really see the hype about them (especially Goten alone) aside from them FINALLY looking their ages.

Which is unfortunate, because I think they could do a lot of interesting slice-of-life stuff with them, especially once they become teenagers. Basically, all of the stuff we missed out on with Gohan going to high school, they could probably do with Goten and Trunks to make up for it.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:56 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:52 am These spoilers were pretty wild. I probably would've had more problems with some of them if this came out years ago.
Yeah, this movie just sounds like typical Dragon Ball Super to me. Some of it makes me roll my eyes, but overall the film doesn't sound any worse than what Super has already given us. That being said, I'm still curious enough to want to see this.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:09 pm

Dunno who is more stupid... Piccolo thinking that this time Gohan will stay in shape or Gohan actually forgetting his new form again after slacking off

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:19 pm

This movie doesn’t sound like something that interests me. It just sounds like more of the same that we’ve come to expect from modern Dragon Ball, but with Gohan and Piccolo in the spotlight. I’m also not sure why they apparently felt the need to throw in that explanation for why Goten and Trunks grew so much. Again, that doesn’t explain why Gohan and Future Trunks seemed to develop like normal Earthlings.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:35 pm

I still can't say what's the true color of Final Gohan is?

In some spots it's clearly white and on other just UI grey/silver.

Strange coloring

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:18 pm

As long as this makes Gohan and Piccolo relevant as characters again, I'm going to be fine with it. GT and Super thus far have been the Goku and Vegeta show. Which is fine, they are popular. But it's not interesting only having two characters that matter. The series was at it's best when multiple characters could impact the story.

There was something novel about making Gohan a non fighter, but it's clear fans have hated it for years so if it took this to get him back to Cell era Gohan with a similar aesthetic, good.

Dragon Ball has long since passed the franchise threshold of being a continous narrative driven story. It his a groove from the 22nd tournament to the Freeza arc where the series built upon itself and there was a natural narrative progression. Everything after that has been just trying to tell something that is entertaining to keep the story going. There's no sense in assuming this or anything going forward would be different. It's clear there is an apetite for more Dragon Ball and as long as it can be fun, that's a good thing. The doormant days of rehashing the same sagas in video games for years on end was not better.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:19 pm

Please refrain from dropping random links without any kind of explanation, context, etc.

What are you sharing and why?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:26 pm

I've been saying this for awhile: Anyone who is so worried about continuity is just going to give themselves a head-ache. As far as Toei is concerned, the anime, the manga, and the movies all are in a separate continuity. They borrow things from each other so they use a similar language, but there's no way that anything that happens in this moviewill inform us what will happen in the manga.

Also...I think that peope who are shocked that the movies are used to sell toys--have y'all not seen the original 12 Dragon Ball movies. Hell even Super Broly is literally just there to sell people on the new version of Broly. That is all these movies are.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:34 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:26 pm I've been saying this for awhile: Anyone who is so worried about continuity is just going to give themselves a head-ache. As far as Toei is concerned, the anime, the manga, and the movies all are in a separate continuity. They borrow things from each other so they use a similar language, but there's no way that anything that happens in this moviewill inform us what will happen in the manga.

Also...I think that peope who are shocked that the movies are used to sell toys--have y'all not seen the original 12 Dragon Ball movies. Hell even Super Broly is literally just there to sell people on the new version of Broly. That is all these movies are.
Big problem is... That we never had a movie about stuff mentioned like ToP. So we don't know what the movie canon ever will for ToP

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:46 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:44 pmThis is probably another one time form that we will never see again, just like those ridiculous DBS-anime forms. Also probably applies to DBS-manga forms we will probably never see outside of that manga unless DBS anime returns and tells the same arcs animated.
I would probably not complain as much if Dragon Ball Super could have the luxury of having a guidebook or something. I would like to know what is "preventing" them from making one of those these days. Surely they can see that some stuff need to be explained that weren't in the series proper, right?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~