Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:54 pm

Nice. I like how Fu said that he wanted the foolish Future Trunks to pay the price for his unforgivable and blasphemous recklessness. Though a mere mortal, he has travelled through time and space and utterly disregarded the sacred laws of the world of Gods for way too long. Fu reminds me of Zamasu, and of his ultimate righteous crusade of supreme divine justice that was nobly justified.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:57 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:Nice. I like how Fu said that he wanted the foolish Future Trunks to pay the price for his unforgivable and blasphemous recklessness. Though a mere mortal, he has travelled through time and space and utterly disregarded the sacred laws of the world of Gods for way too long. Fu reminds me of Zamasu, and of his ultimate righteous crusade of supreme divine justice that was nobly justified.
Fu doesn't care for justice. He just cares about having fun and "science."

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:01 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Nice. I like how Fu said that he wanted the foolish Future Trunks to pay the price for his unforgivable and blasphemous recklessness. Though a mere mortal, he has travelled through time and space and utterly disregarded the sacred laws of the world of Gods for way too long. Fu reminds me of Zamasu, and of his ultimate righteous crusade of supreme divine justice that was nobly justified.
Fu doesn't care for justice. He just cares about having fun and "science."
And my respect for Fu has completely vanished. What was I thinking? Did I seriously believe that a miserable spawn of the wretched Demon Realm could be as righteous and noble as the Supreme God himself?

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:28 pm

I'd say I feel a bit blueballed, but that would imply I had any hopes and expectations for this. Everything here just felt sloppy, from the animation to the storytelling. They have SSB Goku and SSJ4 Goku fight right as soon as they see each other because they know that's what everybody wants to see, but they fight for exactly one minute and then the rest of the episode is dialogue. I get that it's just a glorified ad for a video game but come on, that doesn't mean you have to put in the bare minimum amount of effort. The one good thing I can say is that at least it was nice to see SSJ4 animated again.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:32 pm

I think you guys have a too high expectations from a promotional anime that lasts for only eight minutes. It was ok for me. It's so good to see SSJ4 again after so many years. You can say that Goku vs Goku fight was too short but I think there's an explanation for that - Xeno Goku thought that other Goku was allied with Fu, that's why he attacked him. I don't see any reason why their fight should be any longer.

Blue Goku hitting the barrier reminds me of Xenoverse's stages, where you can't escape just like that and you have to use special portals. That was good.

There's leaked episode 2 preview (Golden Cooler, yay!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6bSSIBkdPA
Last edited by Mnich on Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Disappointed in how short it was, like everyone else, but I still feel something beyond what I felt for DBS with the exception of the Future Trunks arc.

(And no, it's not because of Trunks, actually DBS made me hate blue-hair Trunks)

It's too rushed, and that's a shame as this sealing the planet has is a good excuse to keep Beerus and Whis out of reach, and it's story has a lot of potential, unlike the stupid ToP crap.

Also, while I would like a decent canon continuation, DBS ****** that, so might as well have something even less canon, so that most people stop asking dumb questions because of great confusions.

It's just a shame the "evil Saiya-jin" is part of this, his design is laughable, and it's stagnant to use yet another saiya-jin, is not enough with the one in the upcoming movie?
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:Because the form is based on the Great Ape, it supposedly requires exposure to Blutz Waves, but Goku seems to be an exception and can transform at will
I think that's stupid and not true. I feel like whoever wrote that was referencing this moment when Vegeta lost SSJ4 and asked Bulma to use machine again.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:38 pm

It seems odd that the villain is being sold as an "evil Saiyan" as if it was something rare or new.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:52 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:Because the form is based on the Great Ape, it supposedly requires exposure to Blutz Waves, but Goku seems to be an exception and can transform at will
I think that's stupid and not true.
I even think that Vegeta asking for the waves a 2nd time should've been unnecessary.

He should've kept the tail, no actual reason to have it disappear on him.
ABED wrote:It seems odd that the villain is being sold as an "evil Saiyan" as if it was something rare or new.
They're used to (most of) DB fans getting hyped over nothing, so it's not like they're actually trying.

If someone can get hyped over Jiren, they can sell em' anything.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:11 pm

I'd like to think that the Dragon Ball Heroes stuff come after Dragon Ball Online & Dragon Ball Xenoverse and that Dragon Ball GT timeline continuity is tie with all the wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff happening with Mira & Towa and the Timebreaker.

Of course after all of this if you minus the arcade/avatar shenanigan !

One can argue that the timeline of Dragon Ball GT could have been because of Towa & Mira action retroactively. Same can be said for the movie and the video games exclusives stories with Android 21 / Majin Ozotto and Hatchiyack. Oh and I almost forgot Dragon Ball Legends with Sharrot and Dragon Ball Fusions with Tekka and Pinijii.

This also can explain why Dragon Ball Minus differ to the TV Special of Bardock and why the TV Special Trunks to the one from the Manga both doesn't get the Super Saiya-jin at the same time.

So overall in a certain point of view one can say that the whole Dragon Ball Franchise is interconnected to each others through wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff created by the Timebreaker, and that include too the live action movies.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:22 pm

Wow I've been making posts in the Video game section of the forums this whole time, wondering why there is barely much talk about this... I didn't even realize it was in the general discussion hahaha.

Anyways, as i mentioned in the other threads, this PR anime looked exactly like how i imagined it would. Everyone's expectations should of been low, but there are way too people still trying to compare it to the actual TV series/complaining about the run time. Art by Yamamuro looked just fine (and i enjoyed quite a few specific shots) but animation was very limited, as expected.

Overall, it wasn't that bad for the first episode, though I'd advise people not to have high expectations. Still, I'm excited for the next one on the 16th too.

Edit: By the way, the music by Yuri was good. It made TP Goku's entrance more badass!

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:27 pm

Ok, good for what it was but way to short.

I expected them to not make to big a deal out of the goku v goku stuff, quick bland fight then ends in a draw. Best part was differentiation their characters, it's nice to see to different takes on Goku. The Warrior and the Hero.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:27 pm

Mnich wrote:I think you guys have a too high expectations from a promotional anime that lasts for only eight minutes.
My expectations weren't high to begin with, and I couldn't care less about the episodes being short or the skirmish between Goku and Goku not lasting long. It's just a really, really stupid plot in general.

Golden Cooler has to be the goofiest thing to come out of this by far. Leave it to Heroes to give out a form like it's candy for the sake of fanservice without understanding what made it special or its thematic purpose within the story it was originally introduced in.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:31 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:Wow I've been making posts in the Video game section of the forums this whole time, wondering why there is barely much talk about this... I didn't even realize it was in the general discussion hahaha.

Anyways, as i mentioned in the other threads, this PR anime looked exactly like how i imagined it would. Everyone's expectations should of been low, but there are way too people still trying to compare it to the actual TV series/complaining about the run time. Art by Yamamuro looked just fine (and i enjoyed quite a few specific shots) but animation was very limited, as expected.

Overall, it wasn't that bad for the first episode, though I'd advise people not to have high expectations. Still, I'm excited for the next one on the 16th too.

Edit: By the way, the music by Yuri was good. It made TP Goku's entrance more badass!
Kitano was on key animation, so I'm really surprised it didn't look much worse! I didn't think we'd see ol' Kitano again. :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:46 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:Leave it to Heroes to give out a form like it's candy for the sake of fanservice without understanding what made it special or its thematic purpose within the story it was originally introduced in.
What makes Golden Form special and what is its thematic purpose? As far as I can tell, it's just another recolor, but this time for Freeza('s fourth form). It could have been given a more in-depth meaning to the form if Freeza had said in the movie that he chose the color of the form based on Super Saiyan and if he had provided a little bit of explanation as to why he had decided to do so but nope, he chose it because of "lulz". So again, what's special about it that Cooler cannot get as well?
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:02 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:Wow I've been making posts in the Video game section of the forums this whole time, wondering why there is barely much talk about this... I didn't even realize it was in the general discussion hahaha.

Kitano was on key animation, so I'm really surprised it didn't look much worse! I didn't think we'd see ol' Kitano again. :lol:
Haha yep, good ol' Kitano. Well, for animators like him, having someone as fast as Yamamuro polishing the art actually is quite beneficial!

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:03 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:Kitano was on key animation, so I'm really surprised it didn't look much worse! I didn't think we'd see ol' Kitano again. :lol:
It looked good because Yamamuro corrected most of everything Kitano drew.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:11 pm

Grimlock wrote:It could have been given a more in-depth meaning to the form if Freeza had said in the movie that he chose the color of the form based on Super Saiyan and if he had provided a little bit of explanation as to why he had decided to do so but nope, he chose it because of "lulz".
Freeza specifically said he chose the color himself to convey his dominance over Goku in particular, which would at least partly suggest it's a callback to Super Saiyan. It's overly gaudy, which underlines Freeza's superiority complex, and it perfectly encapsulates his vindictive nature as well as his climactic battle against Goku on Namek.

Cooler's personality is too distinct from Freeza's for an identical scenario to make any sense in his case. Why would he suddenly care about being gold?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:26 pm

Shaddy wrote:using official fanfiction as it's story.
Oh, the similarities with Dragon Ball Super.
Shaddy wrote:t's set in a completely separate timeline without any of the versions of characters we're familiar with
I am quite familiar with that Goku, Vegeta, Mai, Trunks, Kaioshin of East, Whis and Beerus. I have just seen them in Dragon Ball Super under the same rules and logic applied. Are you not? Too bad for you, I guess.
Shaddy wrote:You know what the actual, important story material for Dragon Ball is post-Super? The movie. Toriyama's working on it.
Urgh, just the thought of the possibility of it ending up as being another crap like Movie 15 makes me cringe as hell. Toriyama's involvement is no guarantee of anything as well nowadays (other than a probably: "hey, this piece of work won't explain/show you anything. We're gonna continue to wank Goku and force him down your throats with his super-cool and happy about everything personality! Yay! He's doing everything with other doing little to nothing against the villain".
Shaddy wrote:it's not just some online exclusive made to promote a card game, and it doesn't look like diarrhea.
Yet, it'll probably shit on everything good that has been established decades ago with new, nonsensical and made-up excuses made right on time (just like some informations in interviews) to fit with the new "explanations" with more recolors diarrhea.
Shaddy wrote:When people ask "is it canon?", they mean "is it in, or related to, the timeline we know?". And Heroes is neither. It's as far from either of those as any material in the franchise can be.
You know, it's funny because this rant of yours makes it feel like I particularly consider Dragon Ball Heroes to take place in the same continuity as the "main one" even though it's not true. But it is a fact that Prison Planet saga takes place after Universe Survival saga.
Shaddy wrote:Goku's not going to make an entrance in Super's movie being all like "Man, that sure was weird how I fought that other version of me with red fur and a tail!".
Yeah, we know that the "main part" of Dragon Ball doesn't have the capacity to explore its concepts in a cool way, so it's not like something like that would happen. But thankfully we have Xenoverse and Heroes to do so.
Marlowe89 wrote:Freeza specifically said he chose the color himself to convey his dominance over Goku in particular, which would at least partly suggest it's a callback to Super Saiyan. It's overly gaudy, which underlines Freeza's superiority complex, and it perfectly encapsulates his vindictive nature as well as his climactic battle against Goku on Namek.
I don't remember that line at all. And just to be clear, I take Movie 15 instead of the retellings into account. There is no explanation for the golden color in the movie.
Marlowe89 wrote:Cooler's personality is too distinct from Freeza's for an identical scenario to make any sense in his case. Why would he suddenly care about being gold?
I don't know if we could really say that Cooler's personality is too different, it's not like Dragon Ball movies provided such elaborated villains. He was also a tyrant that governed planets. But I'll give you the color. Since it seems to be a choice, I also don't think Cooler would pick the same as Freeza. But then again, even Heroes plays safe, it's not like they would go and change everything. Golden Form, despite being a choice, it is a established concept and the color is part of it. You cannot simply change it. Which is why Cooler gets Golden Form too, just like you wouldn't change the color of Super Saiyan hair to give to Turles.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:48 pm

Shaddy wrote:It looked good because Yamamuro corrected most of everything Kitano drew.
DainIronfoot wrote:Haha yep, good ol' Kitano. Well, for animators like him, having someone as fast as Yamamuro polishing the art actually is quite beneficial!
There's certainly something to be said for polished character art to prop up some lackluster animation! I was thinking of the Cumber vs. SSBKK "fight" in the new Universe Mission 3 teaser. The art looks on point, but that action is baaaaad. :lol: