"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (Tankōbon April

Post by medama_oyaji » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Jiya + Sachie-chan = about 180 pages, which would be enough to fill a book, I suppose. I'm guessing that's what will be in this book. Maybe a Toriyama x Katsura interview in it as well. There was an interview with them that ran along with Sachie-chan in Viz's Jump a while back...

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:52 pm

medama_oyaji wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Jiya + Sachie-chan = about 180 pages, which would be enough to fill a book, I suppose. I'm guessing that's what will be in this book. Maybe a Toriyama x Katsura interview in it as well. There was an interview with them that ran along with Sachie-chan in Viz's Jump a while back...
They had an interview in Jump SQ. in 2008 accompanying Sachie, and also an interview in Young Jump in 2010 to go along with the last chapter of Jiya. That'd fill out the page count nicely....
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:38 pm

There you go! We did it, everyone :clap:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Can't wait to see the mother/wife of our Heroes.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:00 pm

So Sachie-chan and Jiya have never been released as a collected volume before now? Huh, for some reason I would have thought it had been.

And while that and those two interviews would make a great collection just on their own, I certainly wouldn't say no to a brand new interview between the two of them too. Their interviews are always hilarious since they seem to spend the entire time bickering like an old married couple. :lol:

Also, and more on topic, getting even more excited to see what Gine looks like.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:13 pm

Still no mention on where/when we can order this, right? I'm saving up.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:18 pm

Amazon Japan just today or so put up a listing for the "Super Elite" version. They're the only retailer I've seen with either version up so far.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Amazon Japan just today or so put up a listing for the "Super Elite" version. They're the only retailer I've seen with either version up so far.
:o EEK!

Ok...

Ok.

I copy pasted the name in hiragana on amazon.co.jp and I found this:

(¥ 1,008) 銀河パトロール ジャコ 特装版 (ジャンプコミックス) [コミック]

And this:

(¥ 488) 銀河パトロール ジャコ (ジャンプコミックス)

I'm guessing the first one is the special edition. Is this right?

Ok, I just made a Japanese amazon account and with shipping and all it seems its going to be about ¥ 2,560 for me. I guess I should wait up to see if there's any other place with a cheaper shipping cost but I really doubt it will get better than that.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:40 pm

Yep, that first one is the "Super Elite" version.

I wouldn't start freaking out over availability just yet. It's totally normal for these releases to not even really start popping up on retailer lists until even a week or so before actual release date. So long as you're periodically paying attention leading up to release, you won't miss out on anything.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:06 am

It's good that Jaco and the Katsura book are coming out on the same day, because the Katsura book is something I'd like, but not really a super high priority. Hopefully I can throw it in with a Jaco Super Elite preorder and save a little on shipping.....

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:21 pm

medama_oyaji wrote:It's good that Jaco and the Katsura book are coming out on the same day, because the Katsura book is something I'd like, but not really a super high priority. Hopefully I can throw it in with a Jaco Super Elite preorder and save a little on shipping.....
If you do, I wouldn't mind some more details on exactly what's in that book if it does turn out to have anything new or unexpected, if you don't mind sharing. ^_^

*tries unsuccessfully to stifle the Katsura fan in himself*
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Heads up guys, Viz has just confirmed that they will indeed be releasing a physical version of Jaco! http://shonenjump.viz.com/node/2013
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Kinda disappointed that Jaco isn't coming till December, but at least I won't feel as bad for buying the Japanese Super Elite version In April.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:21 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Kinda disappointed that Jaco isn't coming till December, but at least I won't feel as bad for buying the Japanese Super Elite version In April.
Unfortunately, we'll have to wait one month longer than that. It's coming out in January not December. :cry:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Oh crap. I read that paragraph so half assed.

Yeah. That's worse...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:40 pm

Is it just me or does this seem way longer than it should be? I mean, an entire year for something that's already translated?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:47 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Is it just me or does this seem way longer than it should be? I mean, an entire year for something that's already translated?
Yeah, it is odd. Maybe they have to wait for Shueisha to send them the Gine material and then they have to translate it. Not sure if that would really take that long, but who knows.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:47 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Is it just me or does this seem way longer than it should be? I mean, an entire year for something that's already translated?
This isn't unique to Jaco, something (likely on Shueisha's part) holds up other series in Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump as well. For example, One Piece's 70th volume was released in English on March 4th whereas in Japan it came out in June of last year.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:28 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: If you do, I wouldn't mind some more details on exactly what's in that book if it does turn out to have anything new or unexpected, if you don't mind sharing. ^_^

*tries unsuccessfully to stifle the Katsura fan in himself*
Sure! Although, by the time I get the book, I'm sure most of the info will be out there.
Insertclevername wrote: Is it just me or does this seem way longer than it should be? I mean, an entire year for something that's already translated?
Well, the explanation that we get when people ask about this in regards to One Piece being about a year behind is that they have to translate all of the volume-exclusive content, check for changes to dialogue from serialized chapter to collected chapter, edit the sound effects, and do any other design/layout stuff, and then have that all approved by Shueisha.

I think the most time-intensive part of this is the sound effects editing, but even that all seems like it wouldn't take almost a year. I think the issue is that they have lots of other books that they're working on, and fitting everything in to the schedule pushes it out farther.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:02 am

Thank goodness I've got the Viz Shonen Jump volumes with Jaco in the meantime. Announcing something for a January release this soon is just cruel.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs