Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:03 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:38 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:26 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:23 pm

I try not to tell others how to operate their sexuality. Otaku are humans with feelings, too, after all, and their trademark attribute is just how passionately they express their love of their hobby. The massive population of Otaku that was born in the 1970s and 1980s can't just be a coincidence, they could easily be a new way of understanding how humans operate and cooperate with one another.
But the idea of 'marrying' a fictional character - something that doesn't exist in reality? It comes off as delusional. There was a news story about a Japanese guy who 'married' a character from his Nintendo DS dating sim, and had a ceremony and everything. It was incredibly disturbing.
That's what Otaku do, they perform their passion. Some marry a character they love, others create doujinshi, print them and then sell them at events for other fans.

What do you actually know about this Otaku other than they jack it to a cartoon character?
Being attracted to fictional characters is one thing, but treating them like they're real?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:17 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:03 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:26 pm

But the idea of 'marrying' a fictional character - something that doesn't exist in reality? It comes off as delusional. There was a news story about a Japanese guy who 'married' a character from his Nintendo DS dating sim, and had a ceremony and everything. It was incredibly disturbing.
That's what Otaku do, they perform their passion. Some marry a character they love, others create doujinshi, print them and then sell them at events for other fans.

What do you actually know about this Otaku other than they jack it to a cartoon character?
Being attracted to fictional characters is one thing, but treating them like they're real?
It's okay to be in love with them but not marry them? I personally do not feel that attracted to a character but that's just me.

Holding a mock marriage ceremony to Kirito from Sword Art Online would be neat but my dysphoria would prevent me from actually doing that, LOL.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:30 pm I definitely don't buy that, it reminds me of when Butch Hartman spoke out against gay fanart of his animated shows(Fairly Oddparents, Danny Phantom) and then of course he outed himself as incredibly narrow-minded in a number of ways that made it very clear his opposition to that type of fan-art had nothing to do with it not being "official".
Yeah, but there's not a lot of other alternatives. it's either he's a homophobe, or he has too much pride in his characters.
miguelnuva1 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:35 pm Wait what did Butch Hartman do to out himself?
A. Serious Christian.

B. Boomer.

C. Into brainwashing children into being his specific sect of Christianity.

D. Doesn't understand how depression & suicide works & blames them on violence in media, saying such stupidity as, "I never heard of these things when I was a kid" because THAT'S how society works & not that reporting on these issues got better & he became more socially aware since he was a kid.

Basically, he's a whole lotta dumb.
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:03 pm Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of Aspie folks are written as being 'weird', rather than being stuck in a deeply ableist society. A lot of queer folks are on the spectrum so when I see how autism is portrayed poorly in media it affects them, too, and I hate seeing that.
And then we have Sheldon Cooper, who's SO Aspie int he way he's written & acted, yet the writers don't do anything with it because then they'd have to actually put effort into the scripts of their show & not make fun of people with undiagnosed Asperger's.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:37 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:24 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:30 pm I definitely don't buy that, it reminds me of when Butch Hartman spoke out against gay fanart of his animated shows(Fairly Oddparents, Danny Phantom) and then of course he outed himself as incredibly narrow-minded in a number of ways that made it very clear his opposition to that type of fan-art had nothing to do with it not being "official".
Yeah, but there's not a lot of other alternatives. it's either he's a homophobe, or he has too much pride in his characters.
miguelnuva1 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:35 pm Wait what did Butch Hartman do to out himself?
A. Serious Christian.

B. Boomer.

D. Doesn't understand how depression & suicide works & blames them on violence in media, saying such stupidity as, "I never heard of these things when I was a kid" because THAT'S how society works & not that reporting on these issues got better & he became more socially aware since he was a kid.

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:03 pm Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of Aspie folks are written as being 'weird', rather than being stuck in a deeply ableist society. A lot of queer folks are on the spectrum so when I see how autism is portrayed poorly in media it affects them, too, and I hate seeing that.
And then we have Sheldon Cooper, who's SO Aspie int he way he's written & acted, yet the writers don't do anything with it because then they'd have to actually put effort into the scripts of their show & not make fun of people with undiagnosed Asperger's.
Oh I agree he's a homophobe for sure.

I actually like Big Bang Theory and to be fair the writers did clarify that they never specifically wrote Sheldon as being autistic, I always saw him as kind of a live-action version of Fry from Futurama.

Some people with autism have spoken positively about him, and I personally never once felt like that show was taking aim at me personally

https://researchautism.org/why-i-relate ... tic-adult/
Last edited by Planetnamek on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:38 pm

A. Serious Christian.

B. Boomer.

I fucking hate that show. Not just because Sheldon is handled with insensitivity, but because it's insanely transphobic, homophobic and it hates women in general. It murders me every time my folks watch it.
She/Her

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:42 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:38 pm
A. Serious Christian.

B. Boomer.

I fucking hate that show. Not just because Sheldon is handled with insensitivity, but because it's insanely transphobic, homophobic and it hates women in general. It murders me every time my folks watch it.
And this where I have to personally disagree, I quite enjoy that show and it never came across as hateful to me(I certainly never felt like the show was specifically taking aim at me) but I can definitely understand why others hate it so I certainly won't say they are wrong for doing so.

Please don't hate me for liking the show :P

I actually quite liked how Sheldon was handled, one thing i've learned is it's tough to get people with autism to agree on how to best portray a character like that. I know some people that despise the 2009 film Adam and some that like it(I fall into the latter camp).

For me if there is any show that comes off as genuinely hateful(particularly towards trans people) and ignorant it's South Park, I gave up on that show years ago because of Matt and Trey's tiresome "you're stupid for caring about anything!" attitude.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:47 pm

I can't like it. There's massive transphobia in the first few episodes and all of the women are portrayed as monolithically looking down on hobbies. I'm sure that I'm blocking out other scenes, too.
She/Her

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:55 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:17 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:03 pm

It's okay to be in love with them but not marry them? I personally do not feel that attracted to a character but that's just me.

Holding a mock marriage ceremony to Kirito from Sword Art Online would be neat but my dysphoria would prevent me from actually doing that, LOL.
Well the kind of 'love' you can feel for a fictional character is different from the kind of love you can feel for an actual person who can love you back, I would say.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:57 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:47 pm I can't like it. There's massive transphobia in the first few episodes and all of the women are portrayed as monolithically looking down on hobbies. I'm sure that I'm blocking out other scenes, too.
The first few episodes weren't great i'll admit and that did turn me off the show for a while, but once I saw some episodes in later seasons it improved considerably. Penny, Amy and Bernadette certainly got a lot better about being more open-minded.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:57 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:47 pm I can't like it. There's massive transphobia in the first few episodes and all of the women are portrayed as monolithically looking down on hobbies. I'm sure that I'm blocking out other scenes, too.
The first few episodes weren't great i'll admit and that did turn me off the show for a while, but once I saw some episodes in later seasons it improved considerably. Penny, Amy and Bernadette certainly got a lot better about being more open-minded.
Personally I think the show just sucks in general, and it really isn't that funny. But then again I've only watched a few clips as I could never sit through a whole episode.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:05 pm

The entire point of South Park is they make fun and attack everyone. South Park is for a audience that doesn't mind seeing all people getting attacked.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:55 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:07 pm Example, there's no reason Superman can't be black any more than there's no reason Spawn has to be black.
They did a csi white guy as Spawn before and it was awful. A lot of people in the Spawn fandom hated it and it took over 50 issues for Al Simmons to come back.
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:06 pm I'm so goddamn sick of straight white people like you speaking for marginalized individuals and telling them what they can and cannot be offended by. :evil:
I do agree that a lot of people these days tend to hate on anything with people that are not csi straight white males.I'm getting sick of it as well. I saw one Youtuber that thinks Parasite winning best picture is some type of political agenda because Joker didn't win the best movie of 2019 :roll: . It has gotten so bad for the last 10 years now that you can't enjoy anything without being called a SJW or Libtard.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:00 pm

It only seems that way when you're on social media.
For me if there is any show that comes off as genuinely hateful(particularly towards trans people) and ignorant it's South Park, I gave up on that show years ago because of Matt and Trey's tiresome "you're stupid for caring about anything!" attitude.
That's not altogether true. I know that's become a thing ever since that one writer's tweet went viral but being a big SP fan, I don't think they are nihilistic, they just have disdain for self righteousness
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:05 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:55 pm
Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:07 pm Example, there's no reason Superman can't be black any more than there's no reason Spawn has to be black.
They did a csi white guy as Spawn before and it was awful. A lot of people in the Spawn fandom hated it and it took over 50 issues for Al Simmons to come back.
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:06 pm I'm so goddamn sick of straight white people like you speaking for marginalized individuals and telling them what they can and cannot be offended by. :evil:
I do agree that a lot of people these days tend to hate on anything with people that are not csi straight white males.I'm getting sick of it as well. I saw one Youtuber that thinks Parasite winning best picture is some type of political agenda because Joker didn't win the best movie of 2019 :roll: . It has gotten so bad for the last 10 years now that you can't enjoy anything without being called a SJW or Libtard.
Ugh tell me about it, I actually liked Joker and was hoping it would win best picture but I got over it not winning, and good lord some DC fans make me embarrassed to say i'm a fan of them at times.

I wish these cretins were at least more creative with their insults, I remember one time in 2008 somebody on the old TV.com forums called me an "Agent of Liberalism" :lol:
ABED wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:00 pm It only seems that way when you're on social media.
That's not altogether true. I know that's become a thing ever since that one writer's tweet went viral but being a big SP fan, I don't think they are nihilistic, they just have disdain for self righteousness
It's not nihilism so much as mocking people for daring to care about anything, it's an attitude that's gotten way out of hand. I remember cringing when the show did a whole episode that defended fucking Tobacco companies of all things.

Their attitude towards trans people has always been frankly appalling and you can trace the alt-right back to South Park, many articles have been written about the negative effect that show has had on people:https://tv.avclub.com/south-park-raised ... 1798264498

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... ides-show/
miguelnuva1 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:05 pm The entire point of South Park is they make fun and attack everyone. South Park is for a audience that doesn't mind seeing all people getting attacked.
Except they don't always, I remember Matt and Trey's lame-ass excuses for not covering Trump a few years ago. So I never bought into that line of reasoning that SP fans keep telling me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:13 pm

That's an example of nihilism. Mocking people for valuing things.

I'm not going to defend the trans episode It's indefensible but it just not true in my experience as a fan that they look down on people for caring. They look down on douchebags who want people to know how much they care - i.e. the Lindsay Bluthe types.

Even the article you linked to says South Park isn't responsible for the Alt-Right
Last edited by ABED on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:16 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:13 pm That's an example of nihilism. Mocking people for valuing things.

I'm not going to defend the trans episode It's indefensible but it just not true in my experience as a fan that they look down on people for caring. They look down on douchebags who want people to know how much they care - i.e. the Lindsay Bluthe types.
What exactly is wrong with wanting people to know you care about something though? I think in this day and age it's important to know that people care about serious issues.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:19 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:16 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:13 pm That's an example of nihilism. Mocking people for valuing things.

What exactly is wrong with wanting people to know you care about something though? I think in this day and age it's important to know that people care about serious issues.
It's not about wanting people to know you care it's about people putting the spotlight on themselves, not the issues.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:35 pm

I was at a commissary on a military base for two hours helping my mom shop and I completely forgot that I wouldn't be able to use the restroom for fear of being murdered or arrested. It was a fucking nightmare. :|

Welcome to life as a trans woman.
She/Her

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:36 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:05 pm Except they don't always, I remember Matt and Trey's lame-ass excuses for not covering Trump a few years ago. So I never bought into that line of reasoning that SP fans keep telling me.
They turned Mr. Garrison into a full on parody of Trump though. What are you talking about?

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:35 pm I was at a commissary on a military base for two hours helping my mom shop and I completely forgot that I wouldn't be able to use the restroom for fear of being murdered or arrested. It was a fucking nightmare. :|

Welcome to life as a trans woman.
Julie apologize if I am overstepping or interpreting this wrong and I do understand how hard life can be for Transwomen as my cousin is a transwoman as well but seeing some of your post your fear of leaving your home seems like one that perhaps you may one to talk to someone.

Once again I apologize if this isn't my place, it just seems like your fear of something happening to you is elevated.