"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:01 pm

Think of the meme potential is not an argument you want to make in this sort of situation.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:01 pm

VegettoEX wrote:"I'm just parroting something I don't understand the larger context for" isn't particularly valid for anything other than a learning experience, which hopefully has happened here.
I was referencing a joke that was made by a guy that was a Sith Lord asking why they were called the dark side and not the galactic gangstas.

There is nothing serious about this. Just jokes. Don’t censor jokes.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:08 pm

Mooreish wrote:I’m not being racist. I’m just paraphrasing a Marlon Webb vine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLIg7_CDRho

And besides. It’s a pattern, can’t we point out a pattern when it’s done in a specific place on a show? You don’t hear any of the other universes having any voices that aren’t Caucasian. Only universe 11 has so far been this universe. And I kind of like it. It’s a unique trait that funimation has added to the show story. It’s a positive in my opinion. Makes them stand out more.

And besides, think of the meme potential.
I think VegettoEX said it pretty well. Plus, what Cure Dragon said. Taking an out of context quote that most everybody here didn't know really doesn't make a joke funny, which is what I assume you were trying to do. Not to censor a joke, but this really isn't the time or place.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:44 pm

Is almost Universe 11 characters going to have black voice actors? Because if thats the case then that is AWESOME
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:11 pm

The Patrolman wrote:Is almost Universe 11 characters going to have black voice actors? Because if thats the case then that is AWESOME
It’s three out of seven so far (assuming Patrick Seitz voices Jiren on the show).

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:22 pm

mint0h wrote:Kahseral is named "Casserale" and it rhymes with, Arale?

EDIT: Did anyone catch the VAs of all the newly introduced characters this episode?
FYI, this account tweets out casting announcements in advance of the relevant episodes.

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:33 pm

The Patrolman wrote:Is almost Universe 11 characters going to have black voice actors? Because if thats the case then that is AWESOME
See this guy gets it.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:38 pm

I really like that the account is using the GodPad format to announce the actors, it’s a fun bit of social media marketing. I want them to do a Universe 7 one even though we already know those actors. It would be a great way to do the “oh by the way...CHRIS AYRES IS BACK” reveal.
Last edited by Kataphrut on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:52 pm

I wish they would just make a combined card for the exempt universes, since those fighter spots will never be filled. Would also serve as a reminder to people that the exempt universes are a thing; apparently most of the fandom forgot about that by the time the benches were combined because we had people asking why those gods were still there every day on r/dbz.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:26 pm

Mooreish wrote:
See this guy gets it.
Gets what? That Funimation now has an obligation to fill in some kind of "diversity quota" to appeal to the politically correct crazies? Whatever, I'm done with this dub and this discussion.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Yikes, bro. Imagine being this angry that Dragon Ball has black actors in it now. Even if that were true, which is probably isn't, what would it matter? Diversity, even if fueled by capitalistic or political intent, should be applauded when the people hired are good at their jobs.
Last edited by Shaddy on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:24 pm

Mooreish wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:"I'm just parroting something I don't understand the larger context for" isn't particularly valid for anything other than a learning experience, which hopefully has happened here.
I was referencing a joke that was made by a guy that was a Sith Lord asking why they were called the dark side and not the galactic gangstas.

I'm not offended by the joke. If anything, I'm more opposed to your comments about outrage culture. You made a racial joke in a place where it wasn't quite appropriate, so when people don't like it you should be civil.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:45 pm

Is this always going to happened when we get a black voice?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:05 am

MrTennek wrote:
Mooreish wrote:
See this guy gets it.
Gets what? That Funimation now has an obligation to fill in some kind of "diversity quota" to appeal to the politically correct crazies? Whatever, I'm done with this dub and this discussion.
Holy **i* jesus *u** no man, I would be enraged if that were the case. It just makes it funnier and more original. Besides, again, think of the meme potential. The universal gangstas.

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:06 am

Bergamo wrote:
Mooreish wrote:

I'm not offended by the joke. If anything, I'm more opposed to your comments about outrage culture. You made a racial joke in a place where it wasn't quite appropriate, so when people don't like it you should be civil.
...jokes are jokes man. We’re allowed to make them. And I have been civil.

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:07 am

HeroR wrote:Is this always going to happened when we get a black voice?
If you mean memes then yes. Yes it will. As long as it’s on the 11th universe.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:48 am

You guys know that "BLACK PEOPLE ARE BAD FOR DRAGON BALL BECAUSE IT'S FORCED DIVERSITY" and "BLACK PEOPLE ARE GOOD FOR DRAGON BALL BECAUSE BLACK PEOPLE ARE FUUUNNY" are both really terrible takes, right?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:53 am

I don't mind Dyspo's voice, but I don't feel like his or Toppo's line delivery is quite there yet.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:20 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:I don't mind Dyspo's voice, but I don't feel like his or Toppo's line delivery is quite there yet.
Dispo is too soon to tell, he doesn’t have anything going until the Hit fight, which is a while away. I don’t think Top’s actor quite pulls off the Pride Trooper haminess. His best line so far is still his first, which makes me think he’s going to nail the God of Destruction stuff.

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Shaddy wrote:You guys know that "BLACK PEOPLE ARE BAD FOR DRAGON BALL BECAUSE IT'S FORCED DIVERSITY" and "BLACK PEOPLE ARE GOOD FOR DRAGON BALL BECAUSE BLACK PEOPLE ARE FUUUNNY" are both really terrible takes, right?
Not what I’m saying. I’m saying it’s an interesting choice. But the internet does exist. And you know what the internet does when something stands out in something.