A lot of things about DBS are actually pretty bad and ridiculous, you brought up a few of those things already and here. SSB is one of them, it's just a recolor of SS. I liked how UI form looks to be an actual evolution of SSG with how Toriyama drew and portrayed it too. I also feel like UI Sign should have been a one time thing only, and never usable again with TUI being pure nonsense as it doesn't even match the requirements to use UI. GT obviously has problems for sure, but DBS is just as bad when considering all the weird decisions etc.super michael wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 11:25 am It never made sense why Vegito in Goku Black Saga looks exactly the same like in the Buu Saga, Vegeta is wearing an armor, so why Vegito wasn't wearing a armor I have no clue. They could have made it different for in universe and for merchandise.
DBS Super Hero Gotenks makes zero sense. Trunks has blue hair, yet Gotenks has purple hair like in DBZ and DBS.
Non-thread-worthy discussions
- QuakingStar
- Regular
- Posts: 715
- Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:18 pm
Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions
- DanielSSJ
- I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
- Posts: 1878
- Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:13 am
- Location: Florida
- Contact:
Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions
I think that works if you go with the idea that the Ultra Instinct form is literally a mutant evolved version of Super Saiyan God Goku uses to use the technique, but I do question it when Moro's fur also turns silver when he uses Ultra Instinct. You're not a Saiyan, why is your hair changing color?QuakingStar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:20 pm
A lot of things about DBS are actually pretty bad and ridiculous, you brought up a few of those things already and here. SSB is one of them, it's just a recolor of SS. I liked how UI form looks to be an actual evolution of SSG with how Toriyama drew and portrayed it too. I also feel like UI Sign should have been a one time thing only, and never usable again with TUI being pure nonsense as it doesn't even match the requirements to use UI. GT obviously has problems for sure, but DBS is just as bad when considering all the weird decisions etc.
My Power Level Image series: Saiyan arc | Freeza arc | Androids/Cell arc | Majin Boo arc | Master List
-
WittyUsername
- I Live Here
- Posts: 4666
- Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
- Location: Houston, Texas
Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions
The thing about Super Saiyan Blue draining stamina was also weird to me. Goku’s fight against Golden Freeza hammered home this idea that Freeza’s gold form was inefficient because of how much ki it drained, and then one arc later, we’re told that SSB has more or less the same drawback.
What’s even worse is that despite this supposed drawback, Goku and Vegeta still repeatedly spam the form throughout DBS, especially the Tournament of Power, which is all supposed to take place over the course of just 48 minutes. Ultimately, the idea that SSB drains stamina ends up being a case of tell not show, especially when Toei couldn’t help but stack Kaioken on top of it.
What’s even worse is that despite this supposed drawback, Goku and Vegeta still repeatedly spam the form throughout DBS, especially the Tournament of Power, which is all supposed to take place over the course of just 48 minutes. Ultimately, the idea that SSB drains stamina ends up being a case of tell not show, especially when Toei couldn’t help but stack Kaioken on top of it.
-
The Dark Knight
- OMG CRAZY REGEN
- Posts: 905
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2025 10:48 am
Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions
This is the result of the clear lack of planning on everyone's end, as well as Toriyama's inability to make things up as he went along and make it work like he did back in the day.WittyUsername wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 2:19 pmThe thing about Super Saiyan Blue draining stamina was also weird to me. Goku’s fight against Golden Freeza hammered home this idea that Freeza’s gold form was inefficient because of how much ki it drained, and then one arc later, we’re told that SSB has more or less the same drawback.
Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions
While a huge contradiction, the stamina issue would've been a great excuse to allow SSG back and have it be the default form for the rest of the show until some big moment like the climax of the Zamasu arc or for episode 107 where SSB could've come back as a flawless or perfected form.WittyUsername wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 2:19 pm The thing about Super Saiyan Blue draining stamina was also weird to me. Goku’s fight against Golden Freeza hammered home this idea that Freeza’s gold form was inefficient because of how much ki it drained, and then one arc later, we’re told that SSB has more or less the same drawback.
What’s even worse is that despite this supposed drawback, Goku and Vegeta still repeatedly spam the form throughout DBS, especially the Tournament of Power, which is all supposed to take place over the course of just 48 minutes. Ultimately, the idea that SSB drains stamina ends up being a case of tell not show, especially when Toei couldn’t help but stack Kaioken on top of it.
- DanielSSJ
- I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
- Posts: 1878
- Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:13 am
- Location: Florida
- Contact:
Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions
I think the manga makes better use of Super Saiyan Blue's energy drain, and hey! The manga actually keeps Super Saiyan God around as a less intensive alternative for multiple arcs!
My Power Level Image series: Saiyan arc | Freeza arc | Androids/Cell arc | Majin Boo arc | Master List
Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions
When Goku and Vegeta use Blue in the Tournament of Power, they're only using it for seconds at a time thanks to the koudan-style storytelling and use of kairological time and atemporality. The switching in-and-out actually works in that regard.
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3
-
WittyUsername
- I Live Here
- Posts: 4666
- Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
- Location: Houston, Texas
Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions
I just think the whole thing is emblematic of how inconsistent the whole concept of transformations are in Super.
-Super Saiyan God is a temporary form that Goku only needed as gateway to obtaining God ki. No, wait, it’s now another Super Saiyan form that he and Vegeta can use whenever they want.
-Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is Goku and Vegeta tapping into the Super Saiyan transformation after they mastered God ki. No, wait, it’s now its own distinct form. Also, it’s called Super Saiyan Blue now and it’s bad because it drains stamina, even though that apparently wasn’t a problem in Resurrection ‘F’.
-Ultra Instinct is Goku achieving a calm state of mind that allows him to effortlessly move without even thinking about it. No, wait, it’s a shiny new transformation that apparently takes a lot out of Goku and that he loses after the ToP and has to relearn.
Then there’s all those other forms that just sort of come out of nowhere, like Super Saiyan Rage and Beast. Also, there’s Ultra Ego, which I have mixed feelings about, though I admit I’m more receptive to it now than I was back when it was introduced.
-Super Saiyan God is a temporary form that Goku only needed as gateway to obtaining God ki. No, wait, it’s now another Super Saiyan form that he and Vegeta can use whenever they want.
-Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is Goku and Vegeta tapping into the Super Saiyan transformation after they mastered God ki. No, wait, it’s now its own distinct form. Also, it’s called Super Saiyan Blue now and it’s bad because it drains stamina, even though that apparently wasn’t a problem in Resurrection ‘F’.
-Ultra Instinct is Goku achieving a calm state of mind that allows him to effortlessly move without even thinking about it. No, wait, it’s a shiny new transformation that apparently takes a lot out of Goku and that he loses after the ToP and has to relearn.
Then there’s all those other forms that just sort of come out of nowhere, like Super Saiyan Rage and Beast. Also, there’s Ultra Ego, which I have mixed feelings about, though I admit I’m more receptive to it now than I was back when it was introduced.
- QuakingStar
- Regular
- Posts: 715
- Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:18 pm
Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions
I think the idea is that the Angels all have whiteish hair so that's why when using UI which is an Angel technique Moro would have white hair. For Goku, having Silver hair was probably decided when they made Fused Zamasu have white hair, whereas they even commented on the whole FZ having white hair deal. Honestly, for Goku's form I think going with Silver was the way to go anyway.DanielSSJ wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 2:13 pmI think that works if you go with the idea that the Ultra Instinct form is literally a mutant evolved version of Super Saiyan God Goku uses to use the technique, but I do question it when Moro's fur also turns silver when he uses Ultra Instinct. You're not a Saiyan, why is your hair changing color?QuakingStar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:20 pm
A lot of things about DBS are actually pretty bad and ridiculous, you brought up a few of those things already and here. SSB is one of them, it's just a recolor of SS. I liked how UI form looks to be an actual evolution of SSG with how Toriyama drew and portrayed it too. I also feel like UI Sign should have been a one time thing only, and never usable again with TUI being pure nonsense as it doesn't even match the requirements to use UI. GT obviously has problems for sure, but DBS is just as bad when considering all the weird decisions etc.
Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions
Yeah, Dragon Ball is the kind of series that you just wind up "rolling with the punches" a lot with. Toriyama doesn't care about the sort of things you or I might care about, he'll let the anime change rules because they need to sell merchandise, and that means we now get the old transformations back.WittyUsername wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 3:34 pm I just think the whole thing is emblematic of how inconsistent the whole concept of transformations are in Super.
-Super Saiyan God is a temporary form that Goku only needed as gateway to obtaining God ki. No, wait, it’s now another Super Saiyan form that he and Vegeta can use whenever they want.
-Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is Goku and Vegeta tapping into the Super Saiyan transformation after they mastered God ki. No, wait, it’s now its own distinct form. Also, it’s called Super Saiyan Blue now and it’s bad because it drains stamina, even though that apparently wasn’t a problem in Resurrection ‘F’.
-Ultra Instinct is Goku achieving a calm state of mind that allows him to effortlessly move without even thinking about it. No, wait, it’s a shiny new transformation that apparently takes a lot out of Goku and that he loses after the ToP and has to relearn.
Then there’s all those other forms that just sort of come out of nowhere, like Super Saiyan Rage and Beast. Also, there’s Ultra Ego, which I have mixed feelings about, though I admit I’m more receptive to it now than I was back when it was introduced.
I don't really think it's this big deal that the transformations' rules wind up changing like they do. People are often wrong about a lot of things in real life, so it makes sense that all of these new, first-time forms wind up having new parts that the characters discover later on. It also keeps the battles interesting.
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3
-
WittyUsername
- I Live Here
- Posts: 4666
- Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
- Location: Houston, Texas
Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions
I admit that it’s not really a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but it does strike me as lame that they introduced these genuinely interesting concepts, only to backtrack on them for the sake of marketing. It highlights how corporate the entire DBS era feels.JulieYBM wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 3:53 pmYeah, Dragon Ball is the kind of series that you just wind up "rolling with the punches" a lot with. Toriyama doesn't care about the sort of things you or I might care about, he'll let the anime change rules because they need to sell merchandise, and that means we now get the old transformations back.WittyUsername wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 3:34 pm I just think the whole thing is emblematic of how inconsistent the whole concept of transformations are in Super.
-Super Saiyan God is a temporary form that Goku only needed as gateway to obtaining God ki. No, wait, it’s now another Super Saiyan form that he and Vegeta can use whenever they want.
-Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is Goku and Vegeta tapping into the Super Saiyan transformation after they mastered God ki. No, wait, it’s now its own distinct form. Also, it’s called Super Saiyan Blue now and it’s bad because it drains stamina, even though that apparently wasn’t a problem in Resurrection ‘F’.
-Ultra Instinct is Goku achieving a calm state of mind that allows him to effortlessly move without even thinking about it. No, wait, it’s a shiny new transformation that apparently takes a lot out of Goku and that he loses after the ToP and has to relearn.
Then there’s all those other forms that just sort of come out of nowhere, like Super Saiyan Rage and Beast. Also, there’s Ultra Ego, which I have mixed feelings about, though I admit I’m more receptive to it now than I was back when it was introduced.
I don't really think it's this big deal that the transformations' rules wind up changing like they do. People are often wrong about a lot of things in real life, so it makes sense that all of these new, first-time forms wind up having new parts that the characters discover later on. It also keeps the battles interesting.
I will always have a soft spot for Super Saiyan God, but it’s a bit disappointing to me that it’s been reduced to just another power-up. Maybe I’d be more ok with it if it didn’t get overshadowed by Super Saiyan Blue and Ultra Instinct. Speaking of UI, I can’t say I’m a fan of Toriyama’s approach of treating it as a palette swapped SSG. If it has to be a form, I’d prefer that it doesn’t change Goku’s physique in either direction. It shouldn’t make him bulkier or slimmer.
- super michael
- I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
- Posts: 1759
- Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:05 am
Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 3:53 pmYeah, Dragon Ball is the kind of series that you just wind up "rolling with the punches" a lot with. Toriyama doesn't care about the sort of things you or I might care about, he'll let the anime change rules because they need to sell merchandise, and that means we now get the old transformations back.WittyUsername wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 3:34 pm I just think the whole thing is emblematic of how inconsistent the whole concept of transformations are in Super.
-Super Saiyan God is a temporary form that Goku only needed as gateway to obtaining God ki. No, wait, it’s now another Super Saiyan form that he and Vegeta can use whenever they want.
-Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is Goku and Vegeta tapping into the Super Saiyan transformation after they mastered God ki. No, wait, it’s now its own distinct form. Also, it’s called Super Saiyan Blue now and it’s bad because it drains stamina, even though that apparently wasn’t a problem in Resurrection ‘F’.
-Ultra Instinct is Goku achieving a calm state of mind that allows him to effortlessly move without even thinking about it. No, wait, it’s a shiny new transformation that apparently takes a lot out of Goku and that he loses after the ToP and has to relearn.
Then there’s all those other forms that just sort of come out of nowhere, like Super Saiyan Rage and Beast. Also, there’s Ultra Ego, which I have mixed feelings about, though I admit I’m more receptive to it now than I was back when it was introduced.
I don't really think it's this big deal that the transformations' rules wind up changing like they do. People are often wrong about a lot of things in real life, so it makes sense that all of these new, first-time forms wind up having new parts that the characters discover later on. It also keeps the battles interesting.
Goku was able to figure out SSJ Grade 3 weakness just from experiencing that form for the first time.
Vegeta it is assumed that he figured out SSJ3 Grade weakness, at least from Future Trunks point of view.
Gotenks was able to figure out SSJ3 weakness by training in the ROSAT.
Before Universe 6 and Universe 7 tournament, both Goku and Vegeta were training in the ROSAT. It is weird that neither of them would find out a obvious weakness.
In RoF no one made any comments about Goku and Vegeta ki getting weaker from using SSB.
Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions
I can't say that I disagree, but that's the unfortunate nature of commercial art, too. If Nagamine and Tomioka had both been involved with the series from the beginning—and we allowed creative-leeway—I'm curious how much more the overall experience would reflect the more interesting ideas that we see in the Tournament of Power and Super: Broly—switching between the forms to reserve power or for different purposes and the such. Or Goku and the others fighting with tactics and not just transforming immediately, that sort of thing.WittyUsername wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:14 pm
I admit that it’s not really a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but it does strike me as lame that they introduced these genuinely interesting concepts, only to backtrack on them for the sake of marketing. It highlights how corporate the entire DBS era feels.
I will always have a soft spot for Super Saiyan God, but it’s a bit disappointing to me that it’s been reduced to just another power-up. Maybe I’d be more ok with it if it didn’t get overshadowed by Super Saiyan Blue and Ultra Instinct. Speaking of UI, I can’t say I’m a fan of Toriyama’s approach of treating it as a palette swapped SSG. If it has to be a form, I’d prefer that it doesn’t change Goku’s physique in either direction. It shouldn’t make him bulkier or slimmer.
In Super: Broly, Super Saiyan God Goku traps Broly in a supposedly godly technique, so how else would that have been pushed forward if, say, Tomioka Atsuhiro was able to write scripts and make up whatever rules he wanted? This is the same guy that was turning Pokemon moves into deflection techniques and using physics so that Pocchama and Buizel could both attack and defend at the same time. In Dragon Ball Super Episode #123, Tomioka wrote Goku planting explosive mines made of ki to either stop or distract Jiren long enough for Goku to nearly knock out of bounds. Heck, when Gohan is fighting against Lavender in the exhibition tournament, he uses his ki as a sonar to better track Lavender's movements. That's not the sort of thing that Toriyama would not think to write but that's the level of creativity that makes me curious how Super Saiyan God could have been used in different ways from, say, Blue.
I love Dragon Ball Super, but it's so fucked over by production circumstances and needing to try to match Toriyama's style of writing. The 2015 animated series is at its best when it's just letting the staff do their own thing.
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3

