Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:17 pm

A Good dub would consist of the Following things:

1: completely rewritten script, maybe the guys who did Burst Limit
2: Recast at least a few of Sabat's roles. They have plenty of VAs now, This doesn't have to be "Dragon Ball Z Staring Sean Schemmel as Son Goku, Tiffany Volmer as Bulma, and Chris Sabat as everyone else" anymore.
3: Get the voice Directing crew from the One Piece Dub
4: Teach Schemmel how to pronounce Japanese words. Why the hell does he pronounce the "Kai" in King Kai right, but he pronounces the "Kai" in Kaioken COMPLETELY WRONG?!?!

If they did this, I'd be happy. An almost complete Recast would be nice, but it ainta gonna happen. And if it did, no matter what they'd better not touch Chris Rager
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:17 pm

Budokai23 wrote:Does Sean Schemmel even work for FUNI any more? If he doesn't come back for this I'm gona be mad. :x
They're not replacing him, of all VAs. He's somehow able to do the voice while living in New York, and random flights to Texas to do a video game voice seem expensive.

Unless someone else can confirm, he definately records his lines in NY.
DemonRin wrote:1: completely rewritten script, maybe the guys who did Burst Limit
Christopher Sabat's VO company, OkraTron 5000, handles the voice-overs and scripts for Dragon Ball games. It's always been(more or less) the same people handling the show.

I'm assuming it's not as easy to edit around video game dialogue, and also there's the fact the staff has had more experience with the series over time.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:51 pm

Hmm... I was thinking, in terms of a DB Kai cast, would it be a good idea for them to completely ignore DBZ, but keep it in line with the original DB?

That'd mean Schemmel as Goku, Vollmer as Bulma, Sabat as Yamcha and Piccolo, etc.

But it'd leave characters like Gohan, Vegeta, the Ginyu Force and even Freeza himself open for possible recasting.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:09 am

Sabat's voice Vegeta for ten years, I don't think it's right to ask the guy to drop the role. It's a little insulting.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:24 am

I said possible recasting, besides Sabat has more than enough other characters. :P

I'm cool with Vegeta as is, although I wouldn't mind seeing the Ginyu Force recast and Linda Young, despite the fact that she does give it a good try in more recent stuff like video games, is still horribly miscast as Freeza.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:36 am

DemonRin wrote:Teach Schemmel how to pronounce Japanese words. Why the hell does he pronounce the "Kai" in King Kai right, but he pronounces the "Kai" in Kaioken COMPLETELY WRONG?!?!
The cast has proven they can pronounce it correctly. They keep the incorrect pronounciation for consistancy since they embarrassingly didn't figure out the correct way to say it until way late in the dub. Besides, blaming only Schemmel is kinda harsh, seeing as it's just as much, if not more, the fault of the voice director.

I wouldn't want any English voice recasts, personally. I hate Linda Young's Freeza and a good bit of the dub cast as much as everyone here, but honestly, it's been over ten years. This isn't just some random group of people pulled off the street anymore. They've become the official English voice cast. Nobody's going to switch to the dub just for a few recasts anyway. If Japanese fans get the benefit of the original cast returning for Kai, I think dub fans deserve the same gift.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:47 pm

I would keep Sabat for Vegeta and Yamcha, maybe Piccolo too, but all the other voices he does could easily be recast.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Well, if they did dub Kai I would love it to be a totally fan service series being it's only 100 episodes and has a different name then DragonBall Z.

What I mean is, I think they could get away with calling Goku "Son Goku. They could have Bulma call him "Son Kun", Piccolo would just call him "Son". Things like that. Being it would be different then DragonBall Z they could actually try and make this one awesome dub, while keeping there already existing DragonBall Z dub available. A total fan service! It's like FUNimation would have a new start, they could listen to the fans for this one. Eh, maybe it's just me.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:46 pm

While I do think that Bulma calling him "Son-kun" in the dub might be going a tad too far, I do agree that Goku's last name needs to be mentioned in the dub somewhere. It was in Burst Limit, from what I've heard everyone say, so there's no reason for it not to be in the show. Having Bulma and Piccolo refer to him as "Son" would be awesome as well.

And once the nine-year-olds get over the confusion of "when did Bulma and Piccolo give birth to Goku?", I think it'd be a great addition.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:52 pm

MagicBox wrote:And once the nine-year-olds get over the confusion of "when did Bulma and Piccolo give birth to Goku?", I think it'd be a great addition.
Well, perhaps if they would correctly say "Son" (ProTip: it doesn't sound like the "sun" up in the sky), that might help ^_~.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:57 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Well, perhaps if they would correctly say "Son" (ProTip: it doesn't sound like the "sun" up in the sky), that might help ^_~.
It doesn't? Then why is it spelled 'son'?
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:They could have Bulma call him "Son Kun"
Go back to your pocky.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:01 pm

Rocketman wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Well, perhaps if they would correctly say "Son" (ProTip: it doesn't sound like the "sun" up in the sky), that might help ^_~.
It doesn't? Then why is it spelled 'son'?
Because that's how your romanize the word. An "o" sound coming over from Japanese is what we would consider a "long 'o' sound", like in the word "boat".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:35 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Budokai23 wrote:Does Sean Schemmel even work for FUNI any more? If he doesn't come back for this I'm gona be mad. :x
I don't know I think I'd be fucking psyched if they brought back Ian.
Uhg, that's be terrible. The guy's an OK actor, but a lousy screamer. Every time he'd scream as Goku it'd be weak.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:38 pm

Gozar wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
I don't know I think I'd be fucking psyched if they brought back Ian.
Uhg, that's be terrible. The guy's an OK actor, but a lousy screamer. Every time he'd scream as Goku it'd be weak.
I never thought Sean was a fucking god like the rest of the dub Daizex community for some weird reason. I constantly just associate that voice with an articulate typical superhero.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:They could have Bulma call him "Son Kun"
Go back to your pocky.
While I don't agree with the whole "LOLOLUWAPANANESELOOZAR!" shit I will agree with not adding Japanese honorifics. That would just sound awful.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:10 pm

Doesn't FUNi's dub of Ouran use honorifics?
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:01 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Gozar wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote: I don't know I think I'd be fucking psyched if they brought back Ian.
I never thought Sean was a fucking god like the rest of the dub Daizex community for some weird reason. I constantly just associate that voice with an articulate typical superhero.
Schemmel has a stereotypical hero voice? I'm sorry but I just don't hear that.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:06 pm

Gozar wrote: Schemmel has a stereotypical hero voice? I'm sorry but I just don't hear that.
Me either. He's given stereotypical hero LINES, but the VOICE isn't stereotypically super hero-esque to my ears.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
Gozar wrote: Schemmel has a stereotypical hero voice? I'm sorry but I just don't hear that.
Me either. He's given stereotypical hero LINES, but the VOICE isn't stereotypically super hero-esque to my ears.
Yeah I guess that dialouge doesn't help much. I just can not hear Sean and associate that voice with Goku for some reason.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:14 pm

I cannot imagine the dub going the whole "Son" route. Not that I'm nesaccarily against it, but that is one of the things I use to seperate the dub from the Japanese Version (I'm not delusional though. I do know and acknowledge that fact that Goku's full name is "Son Goku") in my mind. I cannot fathom Piccolo calling Goku "Son". If they do that, I would hope that only Chi-Chi/Bulma calls him that, simply because they have known him for so long.