Dragon Ball Z: Orange Bricks - UK Release Out Now!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Orange Bricks - UK Boxes Art

Post by DonieZ » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:53 am

Paradox295 wrote:
DonieZ wrote:Hmm, Paradox has a point. If the OB's really will go for as cheap as £10, then I think it's doable. I mean, especially since I'm someone who's never touched the revered quality that the Dragon Boxes have to offer, so maybe it won't affect me too much. That, and the fact that I one of those who probably wouldn't tell the difference between aspect ratio's.

I was wondering though, why does America get everything? Well maybe not everything, but compared to the UK, it seems to me the the US gets a lot.
Everything?

Not exactly. I mean, there's some cool stuff that the UK only gets. Like that Akira steelbook... we got Redline before the US.

But, the US gets a lot of stuff we don't, cos their anime industry is larger than ours.
Well, they get most of the DB video releases compared to here, DragonBoxes, Bricks, Blu-rays(?), Kai, and other things.

Apparently, if these Orange Bricks do well Manga UK will try to release other DVD releases from Toei too. I think I might endure the quality if I can get them cheap, just to support their cause.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Podcast of the UK OBs: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/04/22/po ... sode-0296/

*skipping to the packaging part*

"packaging is slightly different from the US, in addition you get digipacks, scanavo fat amaray-packs" (or something like this)

^ this starts somewhere between the 40-ish mins.

Thank God I have the Dragon Boxes Z and DBZ Kai FUNimation collections so I don't have to spend money on a company that cancels' series after one volume's released.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:33 am

dbboxkaifan wrote: Yeah, PG rating for Freeza's arc doesn't go well, I mean, Freeza impailing Kuririn was a very violent scene and also, in many countries it was removed due to its horror/violence shown (they didn't want the kids to see this).

15 is the age rating that should be given, and also during Cell's arc where Cell absorbs that fat human.
Not too familiar with the UK rating system but I believe the 12 rating is the same as a PG-13 rating right? If movies like Hunger Games, Transformers, Taken and the first AVP movie can have a 12 rating then I don't see how a 12 rating won't be a issue?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:44 am

Sucks that Toei forced this footage on them.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 10, 2012 10:19 pm

And reviews for Orange Bricks Vol. 1 have commenced, well, the first volume isn't even out yet, so call it what you want... An opinion.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Ball-Sea ... roduct_top
So while fans who remember the show in 4:3 full screen may be cautious, it is not that noticeable in most places, I find.
I'm going to wait and see how people are gonna react in UK with these awful bricks. :P
Overall, this is surely the best possible thing to happen for Dragon Ball Z fans across the UK, and us fans MUST support these releases!
:lol:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu May 10, 2012 11:35 pm

^Given Manga's track record, you might actually *have* to if you don't want it to get canceled mid-release and have no hope for DBZz ever again.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 11, 2012 6:51 am

I will buy these UK OBs but only when they're at £2.00 on Amazon or less than 5 quid, at least. Not going to spend too much on a horrible quality release. That's for sure.

Personally, Manga Entertainment has flipped me off several times with their Blu-ray anime cancellations so I don't really support them, and if the OBs in UK were to be cancelled, I think we'd be lucky.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Fri May 11, 2012 9:29 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Overall, this is surely the best possible thing to happen for Dragon Ball Z fans across the UK, and us fans MUST support these releases!
:lol:
Well, it's true.

It's the first time DBZ has been released in the UK. Also, casual fans won’t notice/care about the quality, you can still actually watch the show.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Fri May 11, 2012 10:51 am

Here's my thing with the Orange Bricks; When I was a bit younger (5 years ago) and I saw these, I was excited that these were released. I wasn't a casual fan of the series, but I wanted to own them. Down the line as I watched them I knew that the quality was lackluster and very poor. I kept buying until the end of the release schedule and now I own all 9 boxes. It was the first time I got to own the entire series in any form. I like to think of it as something I bought that led to something better: The Dragon Boxes. I think to myself that the money made from OB's were used to buy the rights to the Dragon Boxes that many fans always wanted. So while I agree that the Orange Bricks are the "Fool's Gold" of DBZ releases, I'm glad I own them in some form to show my support for the series in general.

I know some will disagree with me, but that's my view of these releases. :)
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat May 12, 2012 6:43 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Thank God I have the Dragon Boxes Z and DBZ Kai FUNimation collections so I don't have to spend money on a company that cancels' series after one volume's released.
The UK anime community is... pretty wank, actually. Maybe it's got something to do with the price of living here, or the price of anime (or DVD & media in general) in the UK compared to that of the US.
If something isn't selling, then why bother putting it out? They're not a charity, they're a business. I'm hardly what you'd called a Manga fanboy, but it's kind of annoying to see people pointing fingers at the man and blaming them (for releases they probly' didn't even purchase).

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat May 12, 2012 7:03 am

Anyone notice how Goku was pasted over Vegeta on the season 2 box set. :P

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Sat May 12, 2012 8:17 am

Rory wrote: The UK anime community is... pretty wank, actually. Maybe it's got something to do with the price of living here, or the price of anime (or DVD & media in general) in the UK compared to that of the US.
It is poor compared to the US, but I wonder if that is due to a lack of TV time for anime. Apart from DBZ, Pokemon and the latest Pokemon rip-off, most anime I saw growing up was on really late on Cartoon Network (stuff like Outlaw Star). It never had strong presence.

(Also, is the UK really that much more expensive than the US to live in, or buy DVDs in? From what I understand when people quote US prices they don't tend to add sales tax, whereas UK prices always include VAT, so it's hard to make a direct comparison).

To anyone who says that people will definitely notice the poor picture quality... have you ever been over someone's house and noticed they've got the aspect ratio on their TV wrong, so that everyone is a third fatter than they should be, and the TV owner's haven't noticed? Ever gone to a cinema that's shown the wrong aspect ratio all the way through a film? Ever seen anyone with a new TV that has turned on those stupid "image enhancement" options that make film look like videotape? Ever seen someone claim they are watching something in HD when they clearly aren't (like, for instance, a DVD)?

You would be surprised at what people won't notice when it comes to picture quality.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat May 12, 2012 9:00 am

LiamKav, you're right.

There were times the TV's AR or quality wasn't 'right' but I didn't say anything because what's the use, they'd still keep doing the same thing.

For the casual fans the OBs should be more than enough.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat May 12, 2012 9:41 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Anyone notice how Goku was pasted over Vegeta on the season 2 box set. :P
Now that's what I call lazy! :lol:

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Sat May 12, 2012 9:47 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Anyone notice how Goku was pasted over Vegeta on the season 2 box set. :P
Wow. Image

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:31 am

Season One OB UK will be out this upcoming month (2nd July).

*Pre-order > Receive > Unbox > Pop the disc > Insert the disc on the BDP/DVD > Watches the episode...*

Sorry about bringing this up, I know I shouldn't, but it's just this...
The epsiodes themselves are brilliant with almost no grain and far less blips and scratches than before. It's also Widescreen (which crops a bit but whatever) and in HD.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1TL16DB ... hisHelpful

Brilliant with almost no grain? Crops a bit? In HD? :?

I'm speechless.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:47 pm

Umm, does this ground really need to be dug up again? Yes, some people honestly don't see the differences or deficiencies in the Orange Bricks, and some come out with some odd defences for it. It doesn't need to brought up again and again, just to make them look stupid, does it?

On topic, I'm personally quite okay with the box arts for the DVDs Manga's coming out with. For one thing, it looks like a nice slim single case, which is nice and spacious. A moot point for me, since I'm not getting it, but it's always nice to not have a huge box for the discs.

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:29 pm

So these got released today! Anyone pick theirs up yet? Also, does anyone know if they have these in stock at Tesco? They're listed on the site and I have time to go down there later...
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

ConanThe3rd

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Orange Bricks - UK Release Out Now!

Post by ConanThe3rd » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:31 pm

I got mine on Monday, everything seems fine but the only bad thing is Marathon Mode is missing. From what I understand that's a Madman thing but it does keep with Manga's general thing about never getting anything 100% right but that's a larger battle not for these forums.

It's weird to not hear the characters with their Ocean group voices.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Orange Bricks - UK Release Out Now!

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:46 pm

ConanThe3rd wrote:I got mine on Monday, everything seems fine but the only bad thing is Marathon Mode is missing. From what I understand that's a Madman thing but it does keep with Manga's general thing about never getting anything 100% right but that's a larger battle not for these forums.

It's weird to not hear the characters with their Ocean group voices.
Could you take some photos of the box, discs and whatnot?

It's pretty much on a fat DVD case, ain't it?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray