Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Buu Saga Kai

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Guys.

This is going to take them a while. Licensing, scripting, dubbing, production, publishing, etc. are all complicated and take time. They have to order new artwork, put together the boxes, work on advertisements. They have to call in MANY actors from California, dub the amount of episodes they HAVE (considering the production of Kai episodes is apparently still going on in Japan) and then mix them appropriately. Furthermore, they have release schedules they have to plan and adhere to. When it comes to a full on, DVD/Blu Ray release, they have a lot of outside and inside influences they have to consider. If they release the first batch of episodes too soon, how long is it going to be until they have the next batch?

I can assure you: They're working to get this done and out as soon as is best for them and for us. They're not going to put out a rushed product; that would only serve to hurt their sales.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:11 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:I can assure you: They're working to get this done and out as soon as is best for them and for us. They're not going to put out a rushed product; that would only serve to hurt their sales.
You mean like the last part of the season set. I have to say those episodes felt rushed.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:32 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Guys.

This is going to take them a while. Licensing, scripting, dubbing, production, publishing, etc. are all complicated and take time. They have to order new artwork, put together the boxes, work on advertisements. They have to call in MANY actors from California, dub the amount of episodes they HAVE (considering the production of Kai episodes is apparently still going on in Japan) and then mix them appropriately. Furthermore, they have release schedules they have to plan and adhere to. When it comes to a full on, DVD/Blu Ray release, they have a lot of outside and inside influences they have to consider. If they release the first batch of episodes too soon, how long is it going to be until they have the next batch?

I can assure you: They're working to get this done and out as soon as is best for them and for us. They're not going to put out a rushed product; that would only serve to hurt their sales.
I don't even care about the dub right now. I just want to view the Buu saga without all the bull shit.
dbzfan7 wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:I can assure you: They're working to get this done and out as soon as is best for them and for us. They're not going to put out a rushed product; that would only serve to hurt their sales.
You mean like the last part of the season set. I have to say those episodes felt rushed.
It just straight up felt like the voice actors didn't give a crap for the dub. I noticed a quality drop in the latter portion of the Artificial Human arc.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:06 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
It just straight up felt like the voice actors didn't give a crap for the dub. I noticed a quality drop in the latter portion of the Artificial Human arc.[/quote]

I agree. I mean it's still better than the old dub, but not by that much too be honest. Sean said he was sick while recording for Goku at this time. Colleen seemed fine, but Trunks wasn't that great. I don't remember how Sabat was as Vegeta or Piccolo so I don't know how he did.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:16 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:I don't even care about the dub right now. I just want to view the Buu saga without all the bull shit.
You better start caring about the dub, as there's looking to be an extremely small chance of getting a Japanese release of this. It's certainly being worked on, and FUNimation will of course put subs on their DVDs, but that seems to be as far as getting Japanese Buu arc Kai goes.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:20 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:
It just straight up felt like the voice actors didn't give a crap for the dub. I noticed a quality drop in the latter portion of the Artificial Human arc.

I agree. I mean it's still better than the old dub, but not by that much too be honest. Sean said he was sick while recording for Goku at this time. Colleen seemed fine, but Trunks wasn't that great. I don't remember how Sabat was as Vegeta or Piccolo so I don't know how he did.
Huh. I didn't feel that at -all-. In fact, I continued being really impressed with just how much effort they continued to put in as things went on.

Sure, the script got a LITTLE weirder, but besides Vale and a few spots with Schemmel being sick, the rest of it was fantastic. Especially Clarke as Cell. It confounds me when people say Clarke's Cell is not as good in Kai. I his acting is leagues better and the voice more refined.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:25 pm

KaiserNeko wrote: Huh. I didn't feel that at -all-. In fact, I continued being really impressed with just how much effort they continued to put in as things went on.

Sure, the script got a LITTLE weirder, but besides Vale and a few spots with Schemmel being sick, the rest of it was fantastic. Especially Clarke as Cell. It confounds me when people say Clarke's Cell is not as good in Kai. I his acting is leagues better and the voice more refined.
Well Cell is always awesome, but Goku and Trunks weren't that great. It really sucked that J. Michael Tatum didn't do the whole script. The poorly placed Kikuchi score didn't help either. I like Kikuchi, but in Kai it felt out of place.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Kaiser: I don't suppose you know if simply streaming the episodes in Japanese is possible?
TheMightyOzaru wrote:Ok, how long has it been since the Buu saga Kai was announced? I know be patient, but COME ON! At this rate I won't care when it DOES get released.
06 November 2012.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:03 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote: Huh. I didn't feel that at -all-. In fact, I continued being really impressed with just how much effort they continued to put in as things went on.

Well Cell is always awesome, but Goku and Trunks weren't that great. It really sucked that J. Michael Tatum didn't do the whole script. The poorly placed Kikuchi score didn't help either. I like Kikuchi, but in Kai it felt out of place.
Vale's main issue was the rasp. He really should have stuck with his old Trunks voice, just with the better acting.

But Schemmel was good for most of the arc. There were some rough patches from when he was sick, but it wasn't the majority of the time, and it was just the flaw with having to release material on a schedule; sometimes you have to go on, even when things aren't idea.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:08 pm

Oh good. I'm not the only one who thought this. I think everyone was just tired of re-doing DBZ(Video games included) so they gave it their all and at the end just got tired. Sean was sick though

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:45 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:

Huh. I didn't feel that at -all-. In fact, I continued being really impressed with just how much effort they continued to put in as things went on.

I thought Clarke was fantastic in Kai. Even in those first few episodes as Perfect Cell, when he sounded a little off, he was leagues better than he was in the original. I also didn't really notice a drop in quality. Sabat continued to give a top performance, Rial continued to give a top performance, Clinkenbeard continued to give a top performance (dat final Kamehameha~~~). Vale was ehh because of the rasp, yeh, but I thought everything else was pretty great.

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:47 am

Yeah I thought Cell's voice was a bit off too, just in the beginning though. I need to re-watch the Cell arc for kai again. It's been way too long.

I hope they put out an announcement for this soon. I'm starting to lose hope lol.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:13 am

I just want some information, mostly. I agree that while the dubbing in Kai is awesome, I just want the Buu arc without completely shit pacing.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:15 am

I really wanna hear the new ost. I really hope it's good.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:25 am

I can't speak for any of the actors, but Sean Schemmel has said that he didn't feel particularly good about his performance in, using his words, "the last disc," because he apparently had a nasty flu when he recorded the last few episodes of the Cell Arc. Can't say I blame him. It's hard to scream at the top of your lungs when you're so sick that all you want to do is lie in bed.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:50 am

It didn't help that Nicktoons apparently wouldn't let them take a break from it either and they had to get certain numbers of episodes done by a due date.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Indeed, I seem to recall Sabat mentioning that he got sick during the Namek arc and put off his recording as long as possible before going back before his doctor said he could because of Nicktoons deadlines?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:11 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:Indeed, I seem to recall Sabat mentioning that he got sick during the Namek arc and put off his recording as long as possible before going back before his doctor said he could because of Nicktoons deadlines?
That's correct. On top of *that*, his first child was born during the production of the dub. Not that that's a bad thing, of course, but I'd have to imagine that's one more (MAJOR) task to juggle in one's personal life. Not just the birth, but then the subsequent weeks of no sleep.

Add the music scandal into the mix, necessitating that they go back and re-mix everything into three separate cuts of the dub (unedited, Nicktoons-edited, and CW4Kids/Vortexx-edited), and you've got a few completely understandable reasons for stress.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:07 pm

It truly must of been absolute hell to go through with so many issues going on at the time but they still managed to put out a quality product for all of us to enjoy.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:35 pm

What makes you guys think Clarke was better in Kai?

I like his version of Cell but in Kai it feels kind of like he is straining his voice, or something. I can't put my finger on it...
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell