DB super canon ?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Araki
Advanced Regular

Re: DB super canon ?

Post by Araki » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:55 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:Or it's a animation error,either way it doesn't matter because GT is canon to Ball and Z
I know you're trying to salvage GT, but it isn't canon to anything by any means. It's a side story, from the original author to the games, it is always treated as such.

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:58 pm

GT is basically the Naruto fillers of the anime community.
Dragon Ball Multiverse (Not the comics)<Where to find me!
"GROWING STRONGER! YES...STRONGER!-Broly

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 pm

irreality wrote:
DragonHermit wrote:Sorry, I meant Bulma's sister :D. Unless they decide to make her cannon.
Why would Tights not be canon? Jaco is canon and Bulma's family knows Jaco throught her.
Why bring Bulma's sister so late into the story? It would have been more fitting if she appeared in Dragon Ball.

BrolyLSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by BrolyLSSJ » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:46 pm

Akira naming a lot of vegetables and clothing....
Tights? Trunks?.....really?
Dragon Ball Multiverse (Not the comics)<Where to find me!
"GROWING STRONGER! YES...STRONGER!-Broly

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:48 pm

BrolyLSSJ wrote:Akira naming a lot of vegetables and clothing....
Tights? Trunks?.....really?
There puns. Dragon Ball 101, almost every character is named after a pun. Also don't call him "Akira" :x .
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:57 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:Why bring Bulma's sister so late into the story? It would have been more fitting if she appeared in Dragon Ball.
Well, it's not like people can't have siblings that live far away and rarely meet each other. Still, for that very fact i doubt we're gonna see her much in Dragon Ball, other than a cameo or two. It was a character Toriyama needed in Jaco to create a connection, but wouldn't add a lot here.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:48 am

he question shouldn't be if Dragon Ball Super is canon, rather the real question is Dragon Ball's canon(s) SUPER? :3
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:37 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:he question shouldn't be if Dragon Ball Super is canon, rather the real question is Dragon Ball's canon(s) SUPER? :3
It is very super indeed. In fact dare I say it's Super Duper. Take my money!!!!!!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:22 pm

Well, apparently the last episode has Bulma reference some of the Freeza arc filler (the stuff where Ginyu takes over her body,) so that just reaffirms my belief that, in addition to Super essentially being filler at this point anyway, it is an continuation of the anime, not the manga (as opposed to the new movies.) So I'm throwing it into my stack of "things not to be taken seriously when discussing 'what actually happened' in the series."
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:22 pm

Maybe U6 saga will only follow the movies if Toriyama is writing the story. In the Super manga, Goku remember hearing the other 12 world while Beerus never mention it in the anime.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:51 pm

It's hard because the movies have some inconsistencies which were fixed on Super, like Bulma being 38/Mai being 41, Shenlong granting 2 wishes, the 1.3 million line, etc. I don't have any problems with filler so Super is canon to me.
Last edited by Sandubadear on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:51 pm

Bulma said, "That frog!" in an angry tone when she saw what happened. In the manga, Bulma never sees the Ginyu frog at all. So it does seem continued from the anime.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:09 pm

I still have the opinion that these movie retellings are just simply anime canon.

The movies are manga canon. Makes sense as Toriyama wrote the movies and not the anime.

The Universe 6 arc is part of both canon's I suppose, being written as a continuation of the movies (which are manga canon) but being part of Super (which is anime canon).

John Doe

Post by John Doe » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:42 pm

To me only the story written by Akira Toriyama himself is canon. This includes: DB Minus :sick: , Jaco The Galactic Patrolman, DB/DBZ manga, Battle of Gods, Revival of Freeza, the DB Super manga, and Neko Majin Z (despite its massive continuity-breaking plot holes).
Last edited by John Doe on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:16 pm

John Doe wrote:To me only the story written by Akira Toriyama himself is canon. This includes: DB Minus :sick: , Jaco The Galactic Patrolman, DB/DBZ, Battle of Gods, Revival of Freeza, the DB Super manga, and Neko Majin Z (despite its massive continuity-breaking plot holes).
Toriyama's not writing the Super manga.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:46 pm

John Doe wrote:To me only the story written by Akira Toriyama himself is canon. This includes: DB Minus :sick: , Jaco The Galactic Patrolman, DB/DBZ, Battle of Gods, Revival of Freeza, the DB Super manga, and Neko Majin Z (despite its massive continuity-breaking plot holes).
You can throw in Dr Slump, too, since the Dragon Ball and Dr Slump did a crossover special over at one stage in the manga. And according to the crossover, Dr Slump and Dragon Ball exist in the same world.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:13 pm

But Dr. Slump has the Earth being destroyed and yet it's back to normal a panel later. In Dragon Balls, planets are long gone if they don't get wished back.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:01 am

Dr. Slump is on a different Earth. It even has a different god.

John Doe

Post by John Doe » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:24 am

Cipher wrote:Dr. Slump is on a different Earth. It even has a different god.
Not to mention that Arale performed Superman-level feats in Dr. Slump. She almost cracked the Earth in half with one punch and was able to move entire planets.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:17 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Well, apparently the last episode has Bulma reference some of the Freeza arc filler (the stuff where Ginyu takes over her body,) so that just reaffirms my belief that, in addition to Super essentially being filler at this point anyway, it is an continuation of the anime, not the manga (as opposed to the new movies.) So I'm throwing it into my stack of "things not to be taken seriously when discussing 'what actually happened' in the series."
Details are secondary and they're very small and irrelevant in greater context anyway. The "general" idea & plot of Gods arc with main Beerus/Frieza/U6 events is clearly canon official Toriyama-developed continuation of Buu arc and he won't be able to backtrack from it this time (DB Online/GT premise) if he changes his mind.