Should Funimation skip the first two DB Super arcs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mozgus

Re: Should Funimation skip the first two DB Super arcs?

Post by Mozgus » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:51 am

no, they shouldn't. the retellings are better than the movies and all the new slice of life bits they added are great and i wanna hear it in english. but none of that matters, even if the arcs are shittier than the movies funimation would get backlash for skipping them, so best play it safe and dub them.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:09 pm

Straight from Chris Sabat on Twitter. This should pretty much answer the main queston regarding whether they will or won't skip.

https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/statu ... 0807268352

Personally, I'm glad with this decision. I mean, it'd be pretty absurd to actually think they'd pull a Lost Episodes in this decade.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:11 pm

Of course they won't skip anything, it wouldn't make any fucking sense.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Thank God they're not skipping the first two arcs. They maybe not low quality but they are still an integral part of the story of Super that can't afford to be glossed over.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:02 pm

Include the first two arcs. If Funimation skips them, viewers new to the series will be like "who's this Beers guy and who's this FAT guy that looks like him??" And so on, and so on... :P

Not to mention how Goku and Vegeta got their new powers....

And so on...

Let's just keep them, everything plays out evenly.

oh wait, another universe has an EARTH?!?!
Whoa, those are HUGE dragon balls (laughs hysterically like a confused Goku...) Mind blown.
Kuririn Fan wrote:Of course they won't skip anything, it wouldn't make any fucking sense.
^ THAT! 8)
Valerius Dover wrote:it'd be pretty absurd to actually think they'd pull a Lost Episodes in this decade.
Yeah, like Yu-gi-oh Season ZERO! LOL :roll:
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:17 pm

It wasn't even that bad.

The pacing was pretty decent, outside of episode 08 09 and 12.

The new material after Beerus was AWESOME and hilarious.

Everything was great until RoF . RoF was a disgrace, but heh it's only 4 episodes.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:29 pm

I think it would certainly make it more interesting especially skipping over Goku/Freeza RoF fight (lowest point of super imo).

Including them does have its upsides:

- Goku/Beerus fight better in Super (and more OP)
- Fillers after BoG arc were HILARIOUS. Goku punching Krillin, Goku breaking through the wall, the tractor part, Vegeta cooking. I was in tears watching that.
- Vegeta vs Frieza choreography was probably Top 2 in the series (up there with Cabba fight)

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Funimation took enough liberties with DBZ early on. They shouldn't take it upon themselves to change the source material, even if they believe it makes it "better". Just dub it and air the damn thing.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:23 pm

So it seems like Funi will soon get the license. What happened to DB Kai Buu Saga in English? Was it ever aired?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:18 am

...nope. Not yet...maybe in a few months...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:34 pm

Danfun64 wrote:...nope. Not yet...maybe in a few months...
sigh... that means we probably won't get super dub by this year. i really hope this doesnt turn into one piece where dubbing is years behind.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:24 am

It'd be nice if they did skip the first two arcs, especially the crappy RoF arc. But let's be pragmatic here, it's not gonna be skipped. Even though I'd want that, I know that would never realistically happen. No way FUNimation would skip out on making more money (or any business for that matter) I think the least FUNimation can do is re-draw a ton of the episodes, if possible.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:16 am

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:It'd be nice if they did skip the first two arcs, especially the crappy RoF arc. But let's be pragmatic here, it's not gonna be skipped. Even though I'd want that, I know that would never realistically happen. No way FUNimation would skip out on making more money (or any business for that matter) I think the least FUNimation can do is re-draw a ton of the episodes, if possible.
They are dubbing, not animation company.

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:22 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Straight from Chris Sabat on Twitter. This should pretty much answer the main queston regarding whether they will or won't skip.

https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/statu ... 0807268352

Personally, I'm glad with this decision. I mean, it'd be pretty absurd to actually think they'd pull a Lost Episodes in this decade.
Oh. Sabat has an avatar of a Star Wars. That's kinda cool.
DragonHermit wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:...nope. Not yet...maybe in a few months...
sigh... that means we probably won't get super dub by this year. i really hope this doesnt turn into one piece where dubbing is years behind.
It's more likely that they release Super than Kai 2.0 because of the popularity Super has. Kai 2.0 is more of a niche market.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:32 am

Let's get real about it though. The first two arcs will hurt the Dragon Ball brand in the US, especially after the two movies. I'm personally an optimist, and can discard the bad, but after people see the shitshow animation (which apparently they didn't fix) in RoF arc, it will take a dive before even getting to Champa Arc. Hopefully that Vegeta/Frieza fight will redeem it somewhat.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:39 am

Iberian_Saiyan wrote: It's more likely that they release Super than Kai 2.0 because of the popularity Super has. Kai 2.0 is more of a niche market.
Kai 2.0 has 60 episodes. Do you think they'd really record of all that, and NOT release it for TV?

It probably means Super in US will be about 2 years behind Japanese airing, which hurts :cry:

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:00 am

It's not that though, Hermit, Funimation is aware that fans in US want to watch DBS with an English dub and in terms of popularity it's clear that DBS is clearly more desired than an underwhelming remaster of the Majin Boo arc.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:03 am

Just for the record, I'm officially at the point where I feel like Funimation starting at the beginning is the best route. Like others have said, even though the first two arcs (despite some of the Battle of Gods Arc improvements) are underwhelming to their movie counterparts - There are still fans who need to be reminded of the first two arcs before moving on to the good stuff. Also, it is pointless to skip the first two arcs and then have the pain of going back to them because fans wouldn't care for them as much if they are skipped. Also, it does give off a bad GT Lost Episodes vibe if skipped (despite being more justified due to the movies existing) and Funimation most likely wants to be COMPLETELY FAITHFUL to the original content. Even Chris Sabat mentioned in a tweet that once they do DB Super, they will do it from the beginning. So, it's pretty much confirmed now that there will be no skipping (unless Sabat was being sarcastic). https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/statu ... 0807268352

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:18 am

That tweet was posted literally on this page.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:03 am

Iberian_Saiyan wrote:It's not that though, Hermit, Funimation is aware that fans in US want to watch DBS with an English dub and in terms of popularity it's clear that DBS is clearly more desired than an underwhelming remaster of the Majin Boo arc.
FUNimation is not going to have put in all the time and money to dub the Buu Saga of Kai to just toss it aside for Super, regardless of people wanting Super. Plus, for new fans, it wouldn't make sense to skip from the Cell Arc to Super. Wrapping up Kai's run, then doing the Buu Arc of Kai (with DVD/Blu Ray release alongside it), and then doing Super (with home release as well) makes the most sense for balancing new fans and old.

Sure, it delays things more than some would want, but not every current DBZ fan watched the Buu Saga airing on Toonami over a decade ago. Just as they're not skipping the start of Super, I doubt they're skipping the Buu material from Kai.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!