Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:52 am

-A decent but not all that great episode. First half was dull and uninteresting. Practically half of the episode was wasted right away. Gohan got some shine, even if it was weird. His way of beating Botamo seemed really convoluted. Vegeta had it right which was to just toss him out. Simple as that. But we got some weird strategy here.

-So many reused shots like last time, which makes me feel like these past two episodes weren't prioritized, while the next one probably will be.

-Ripping off and homaging Piccolo's technique, twice in one episode. Wow that's pretty bad. Woulda been fine if Piccolo just did it on his own...but they really needed to have the technique be used twice?

-The fights were really weird. Piccolo gets stomped then one shots his opponent. I guess I'll go with the distraction theory but it didn't seem like he was purposely getting hit to lead into that.

-I kinda like how Gohan won. Kinda. I mean in the end he's using a strategy...but it feels like it's basically just brute forcing through honestly. Not to mention considering U10 was kind of treated like a joke, it's odd suddenly we're supposed to take someone seriously now as a competitor.

-I liked the whole U10 guy had a family and Gohan was upset. A nice touch. Not exactly well done, but a nice touch nonetheless.

-Goku literally has to be told don't let his guard down several times.....ugh....

-I like how Gohan appears to show he learned from his mistakes as demonstrated when not letting his guard down.

-Goku coulda just Shunkan Ido'd right to the magcial nuisances so really 17 didn't need to be there.

Might have been a Gohan centered episode....loosely, but it wasn't all that great honestly. Big let down to finally see muh man in action, and it was just mostly forgettable.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:56 am

Just as bad as last week's. It looks like next week will be good though, at least I hope so.

Couldn't they have done more with the choreography ? I know not every fight can be detailed but so far we haven't gotten one good fight and we're over 10 episodes in. A great arc on paper (the manga will most likely nail it) but for Toei it's so fara mess.

And why is Goku forced into every scene ? they can't leave someone a lone for a second without switching to Goku like people will forget about him or something.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:58 am

sintzu wrote:Just as bad as last week's. It looks like next week will be good though, at least I hope so.

Couldn't they have done more with the choreography ? I know not every fight can be detailed but so far we haven't gotten one good fight and we're over 10 episodes in. A great arc on paper (the manga will most likely nail it) but for Toei it's so fara mess.
The fight with Goku/the Magical girl, Gohan and Piccolo's later fights were all good and decent. I don't see how any of these fights are "bad."

Gohan/Botamo is the only one that was lackluster since all it was, was punching.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:02 am

precita wrote:Goku/the Magical girl, Gohan and Piccolo's later fights were all good and decent.

Gohan/Botamo is the only one that was lackluster since all it was, was punching.
She just kept firing ki at him then he blew her out of the ring, same thing with Piccolo's. Gohan's had 0 going on, he gets hit, hit back.

17's fight was also a mess.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:04 am

The episode was just sort of meandering and unfocused for the most part, as episodes in the tournament usually tend to be so far. The first half in particular was completely unnecessary -- why have these fights between 17 and Ribrianne or Goku and Rozie if there isn't going to be a satisfying pay-off?

That said, the very last scenes were the highlight. Obuni being a family man like Gohan establishes a nice parallel between the two and provides more weight to Gohan's subsequent guilt, not to mention that Gowasu's erasure and Cus' sadness did a solid job of cementing how emotional those final minutes of the episode were meant to be. Universe 10's defeat absolutely had more of an impact than Universe 9's and I think Toei was great at conveying that much. I just wish they were capable of keeping this level of quality consistent throughout the whole runtime.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:07 am

sintzu wrote:
precita wrote:Goku/the Magical girl, Gohan and Piccolo's later fights were all good and decent.

She just kept firing ki at him then he blew her out of the ring, same thing with Piccolo's. Gohan's had 0 going on, he gets hit, hit back.

17's fight was also a mess.
That's not what happened at all. Look at this full gif:

http://imgur.com/vqP35jt

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:10 am

dbzfan7 wrote:-Goku literally has to be told don't let his guard down several times.....ugh....
It's foreshadowing Goku's inevitable ring out.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:12 am

precita wrote:That's not what happened at all. Look at this full gif:

That's pretty much what I said, she kept throwing ki blasts at him then he blasted her out of the ring.

So far every fight in the original have put this tournament to shame.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:14 am

Miracles wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:-Goku literally has to be told don't let his guard down several times.....ugh....
How long do they plan on using this flaw ? shouldn't he have learned from RF by now ? Goku for some reaosn is being written like an amature who's never fought before.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:14 am

sintzu wrote:
precita wrote:That's not what happened at all. Look at this full gif:

That's pretty much what I said, she kept throwing ki blasts at him then he blasted her out of the ring.

So far every fight in the original have put this tournament to shame.
The whole point of that scene was Goku moving around her energy orbs and dodging her and then surrounding her with them. Look at the strategy Goku is using.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:26 am

precita wrote:Look at the strategy Goku is using.
Why does he even need strategy against someone that weak ? he should've delt with her like he did recoom on Namek. Most of these characters could be handled like that but for some reason they're trying to create fake tension. Same thing with Piccolo, he could've easily turned that guy into dust before he even hit him but like Goku, for some reason he had trouble with him.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:28 am

sintzu wrote:
Miracles wrote:
How long do they plan on using this flaw ? shouldn't he have learned from RF by now ? Goku for some reaosn is being written like an amature who's never fought before.
Goku's saiyan trait of enjoying the fight distracts his focus.
However Vegeta needs to relax a little for his improvement.
Lets see if any of them breech these weaknesses.
Last edited by Miracles on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:31 am

Gohan vs Botamo was a weird mess, but I'm just glad that Botamo is finally out. He had way too much screentime, and I was getting tired of his gimmick. 17 and Ribrianne were great, and Gohan and Piccolo were even better. While the fights were not all that impressive, the animation was pretty solid this episode.

Gohan knocking out and destroying Universe 10 was a fantastic moment. The erasure itself was a little anticlimactic, but it was a great scene overall. You can tell Gohan felt bad when he saw the Universe 10 guy's locket. It just goes to show you how much of a fucked situation this really is for the fighters involved.

Overall, a pretty good episode, but not better than last week's.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:36 am

Miracles wrote: Goku's saiyan trait of enjoying the distracts his focus.
However Vegeta needs to relax a little for his improvement.
Lets see if any of them breech these weaknesses.
These issues were never in the original. Goku was always a great fighter from day 1 yet out of nowhere everyone can get the drop on him.

Vegeta's issues were his overconfidence, this whole relaxing thing is new and makes 0 sense.

The real issue here is that they're using characters who've had their arcs concluded by the end of the manga but in order to keep the show going they need to find some ways to make it seem like they still have growing to do so they're either making up issues or going over old ones.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:38 am

It was a nice episode, not specially great, but some things happened, it's going forward.

First we had 17 against Ribrianne and Goku against Rozzie. 17 is doing fine and helped Goku, although Goku could have used the instant transmission. Jimizu comes and takes the girls from there, that's good, because the tournament is about resisting as long as possible.

Gohan takes Botamo out, Goku told him about his fight, that's good. Jimizu takes Jilkol, a pity it's off screen. Piccolo takes Rubalt, using his technique efectively for the first time. Right before Rozzie used it too, but 17 knows how to defend from it. Then Gohan goes ultimate and wins again, Opni out, who had a cool fighting technique.

So universe 10 is gone, bye Gowasu and Rumosh. At least Cus didn't smile. She is not evil.

Next episode, Goku goes SSG!!! This is great, finally this form is back, it was so wasted. Teaming up with Hit. Maybe he helps him because he is the one that wants to fight him later, they owe a rematch each other. Looks it will be about speed, so SSG may really have this advantage, also the stamina.
Heno heno kappa!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:41 am

Basako wrote:Looks it will be about speed, so SSG may really have this advantage, also the stamina.
So he uses Blue on weak fighters like u9 but when it comes to someone stronger than Hit he uses a weaker form ?

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:43 am

Gohan handled that hard moment very well, we got spared of depression there. And that necklace will have a android-16s-head effect on him for sure.
Goku and Kaiosama not showing any whatsoever mercy or feels for Gowasu kinda pissed me off.

Now that the Z Fighters keep watching and learning their opponents, Obuni's "secret ki control", as explained by Whis, should top that list of things you want to steal from.

At least, we know there are compassionate angels, and douches too.
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:49 am

sintzu wrote:
Basako wrote:Looks it will be about speed, so SSG may really have this advantage, also the stamina.
So he uses Blue on weak fighters like u9 but when it comes to someone stronger than Hit he uses a weaker form ?
He shouldn't have used the blue before, but, in any case, it may be about speed, so that could be a reason to go with SSG.
Heno heno kappa!

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:50 am

This was an ok episode. It just felt really short to be honest. Being a Gohan fan, I definitely kept my expectations low and so I was happy to see Gohan defeat a pretty difficult opponent in Obuni but it happened pretty quickly. I'm really liking that Gohan has maintained the serious demeanor he had when he practiced with Goku in the recruitment episodes. Seeing Gohan look at Obuni's locket made me pretty sad. That's why I like Gohan so much. He has a mind and a heart and isn't just a mindless, heartless fighter like plenty of other characters. Also Gohan taking out Botamo was much better than how Goku took out Botamo before so I was pleased with that.

I didn't like that Piccolo basically copied Rozie's ki blast trap attack in the same episode to eliminate Rubalt. A little more variety, especially for a tactician like Piccolo, would've been nice to see from the writers. Also Rubalt didn't show any special techniques so it doesn't look like Piccolo had much to worry about. But I guess I should be happy Gohan's mentor Piccolo wasn't eliminated.

Universe 10 didn't really show much emotion when they were being eliminated but I guess they were just downtrodden. Pretty weak, universe that you could easily forget, to be honest.

Also not real happy that Ribrianne didn't carry out her anger against Android 17. I wanted to see that to the end. It seems like Android 17 was trying (though probably not at full power) and was evenly matched with Ribrianne, which bodes well for Ribrianne actually providing some competition.

Next episode looks absolutely insane! Dyspo giving Hit issues and forcing Goku into SSJG! I can't believe Dyspo will be that good but get eliminated next episode without eliminating a single fighter just because he chose to mess with Hit and Goku. Honestly that's pretty going to be sad.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:50 am

Basako wrote:It may be about speed, so that could be a reason to go with SSG.
Blue is the next form so logically it's faster as well.