Why does Vegeta still insist on using Goku's original Saiyan name?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why does Vegeta still insist on using Goku's original Saiyan name?

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:00 pm

By original names he obviously means Lapis and Lazuli
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:03 pm

dva_raza wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:41 pm
ATA wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:35 pm I wasn't suggesting 18 and 17 don't like being called 18 and 17 lol. I'm saying that's what they want.
🤨🤨🤨 ???...

Lol how in the world is that what you said here?
ATA wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:53 pm doesn't mean 18 and 17 are okay with people calling them their original names.
I'm not sure what the confusion is here. Just because Goku is okay with being called Kakarot from Saiyans does not mean 18 and 17 are okay with people calling them their original Human names.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:30 pm

There also isn't any indication that 17 and 18 remember their birth names.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:50 pm

All good points. I actually never thought about any of those possibilities. I thought Gero just put them to sleep and turned them into androids. Still not an excuse not to bring up everyone's real names at least once.

Especially now that Dragon Ball is all about revealing names, all Kaioshins got it (but not Kaios), Android 21 and Android 16 got themselves a name (the human versions, but whatever) and etc.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:50 pm

It surprised me to find out that No. 17 and 18's given names (whenever they were originally flesh and blood before Dr. Gero altered them into androids/cyborgs) were never mentioned in the series. Perhaps they just straight up forgot what their human names were after their bodies had been changed.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:41 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:50 pm It surprised me to find out that No. 17 and 18's given names (whenever they were originally flesh and blood before Dr. Gero altered them into androids/cyborgs) were never mentioned in the series. Perhaps they just straight up forgot what their human names were after their bodies had been changed.
It seemed clear to me that they don't have any of their prior memories other than knowing they're twins. Especially early on, they don't seem to perceive themselves as "humans," just artificial life in a human vessel.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:30 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:41 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:50 pm It surprised me to find out that No. 17 and 18's given names (whenever they were originally flesh and blood before Dr. Gero altered them into androids/cyborgs) were never mentioned in the series. Perhaps they just straight up forgot what their human names were after their bodies had been changed.
It seemed clear to me that they don't have any of their prior memories other than knowing they're twins. Especially early on, they don't seem to perceive themselves as "humans," just artificial life in a human vessel.
Yes, i'm guessing after Gero had altered them maybe that effectively erased the memories they had as full blood humans and thus were effectively reborn in a sense as androids/cyborgs/whatever. Them being siblings could be the only thing they can recall from their former organic lives.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:35 am

It's still possible for them to find out their real names in a future arc. We can't know if Gero had other secret research facilities somewhere else, with more blueprints and papers, don't forget that there supposedly are many numbered androids we've never seen before.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:24 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:30 pm There also isn't any indication that 17 and 18 remember their birth names.
Exactly why else would C18 enter the tournament as Number 18 if she remembers her name. She could choose any name, but chose her number instead.
I doubt anyone knows C17 and C18 real name.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:04 am

super michael wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:24 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:30 pm There also isn't any indication that 17 and 18 remember their birth names.
Exactly why else would C18 enter the tournament as Number 18 if she remembers her name. She could choose any name, but chose her number instead.
I doubt anyone knows C17 and C18 real name.
Exactly. And it was pretty much Toriyama just giving a whatever answer. I doubt he even bothered thinking of the names when he was writing the manga.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:10 am

Not even Krilin calls her by her human name. I wonder if he knows it and avoids it, or if he doesn't even know it.
The androids seem to be fine just referring to each other by their numbers and not their names. Weren't they delinquents? maybe they hated their names and lives, and they'd rather leave all that behind.

I bet Toriyama doesn't even remember that interview, lol. If you ask him again, their names might be different.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:06 am

ATA wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:03 pm I'm not sure what the confusion is here.
LOL honestly I wasn’t sure either, it was weird.
But now I know. My mistake, but basically the word “minding” is what kept me automatically responding to the notion of their android names.
Cause not minding means you’re not bothered by something (negative). Which for Goku it makes sense cause his birth name is not what he’s supposed to be called, but for the androids it’s the opposite obviously. Like if they actually knew what their names were why would they ‘mind’ being called that and choose the names their kidnapper gave them instead?