DVDs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:06 pm

First of all Mr. Stuck-Up Mother England, I'm not American, not that there's anything wrong with that. And okay, fine so I didn't remember it was called Betamax. I'm sooorrrryyyy I was so young at the time. My mother should have smacked me around with a rollingpin until I said the right name! There happy now? :P 8)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:24 pm

Silly Engrish! No PoutEEn for yoo! :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:54 am

What's next, PsyLiam? Going to say that we're barbaric, unsociable lunatics? Or insult our fat, cheeseburger eating, food wasting American asses? Even though the people you are referring to aren't even American?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:04 am

Yes, damnit.

Besides, you're in North America. You speak funny. You're American. I win.

*does a little dance*

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:05 am

Yes well you're European. Which means you're hairy and don't bathe. WE WIN.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:15 am

In my opinion, YOU guys speak funny. You can't seriously use that as an arguement.

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:56 am

Isn't laser disc still superior to even DVDs, as far picture quality?

They have to compress the DVD discs, which means you lose quality, right?

I'm guessing laser disc never caught on because they're the size of a record ... or something like that.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:40 am

Yes, I believe laser disc is superior. And Psy how can you say we talk funny, when you people pronounce it "shhhhcedule"? We just don't have any accent. You hear me, we are generic, but hey Asia's ask'in for us to go over and teach 'I'm English, not you silly little Brits! Nyaaaah! Now who wins!? *does a bigger dance* Actually, I love England. What other place would make such as enjoyable shows like "The Young Ones" and "One Foot in the Grave"? :wink: Ah happy times.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:44 am

I am from the Moon, bitches. Moon Men REPRAZENT

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:26 pm

Dayspring wrote:Yes well you're European. Which means you're hairy and don't bathe. WE WIN.
I'm hairy? When almost every American male college student feels the need to grow a shit beard?
Zackarotto wrote:In my opinion, YOU guys speak funny. You can't seriously use that as an arguement.
I can and I will. Dude.
Jerseymilk wrote:Yes, I believe laser disc is superior. And Psy how can you say we talk funny, when you people pronounce it "shhhhcedule"? We just don't have any accent. You hear me, we are generic, but hey Asia's ask'in for us to go over and teach 'I'm English, not you silly little Brits! Nyaaaah! Now who wins!? *does a bigger dance* Actually, I love England. What other place would make such as enjoyable shows like "The Young Ones" and "One Foot in the Grave"? :wink: Ah happy times.
I thought we said "sked-ule", and Americans said "shed-ule". And you seem to think that Asia is a single person, so obviously I win. Booya.

What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah. Laser Discs never caught on because they were ridiculously expensive, and not supported well. Whereas DVD was created by Sony, Phillips and co with the idea that EVERYONE would have to buy a new player, and all their films again, lest they be laughed off the streets.

DVD holds some sort of record for being the fastest product to become ubiquitous (which it will apparently do this year. No, I have no idea how they are measuring "ubiquity").

And I'm pretty sure that Laser Discs are also compressed. DVDs use MPEG-2 compression, but the rate is variable, depending on, say, the length of the movie, the amount of extras, and so forth. VIZ released some Pokemon DVDs with 12 episodes on, and they suffered from several compression artifacts.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:48 pm

You thought we said "shed-ule"? We'll have to kill the one braindead American guy who said it this way, provided that you kill the one English guy who heard him say it and figured every American is that way. I'm already assuming we have a deal, because my hands are covered in retard blood as we speak.

Oh, right, the topic has changed. Uhm... 12 episodes? Wow, that's gotta suck.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:19 pm

Quickly polling my mates, it seems that none of them is actually sure how we say it. It descended into an argument to rival the infamouse "scown/scon" shouting match of yesteryear.

12 episodes is good value for money. Better than the 3 they used to do. But yeah, the picture quality suffered.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:14 pm

I'm not really sure, would you call it a good thing or a bad thing? If you had to pay more and get normal quality, would you?

The point where quality becomes unbearable is different for every person, I'm sure. But just a general idea if it was a good decision by Viz or not is what I want.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:30 am

Well, I don't actually own them. There's the problem. I'm going by other places, and some have said that it annoys them, and others have said that it doesn't.

Personally, I am quite picky about image and sound quality. I hate mp3s that are less than 192. But I really don't know what it's like. I'd be willing to bet though that the DVDs aren't dual-layered double-sided.

(Which is another topic that highlights why there won't be a replacement for DVD anytime soon that'll take off. Companies think we want more space on a DVD. We don't. People like multi-DVD sets. The Lord of the Rings DVD sets could have easily been squashed up, via the aformentioned DL DS method. But they aren't. Because people think they're getting a better deal with lots o' discs. No, what people want is a format that doesn't get bloody ruined if you scratch it! But will they do that? Nope.)

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:34 am

Late responder but I have to correct the Lasedisk comments they werent that expensive they just had pispoor marketing,we had to get them in tower records way back when.

As for quality, it depends, yes DVDs compress more but LDs dont always have High recording either...
-Laserkid

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:36 am

I just finished reading Pygmalion. The British accent insults are endless, let alone the possibilities they open up. Since we've moved passed this part of the conversation in the thread, I'll just quote Eliza and laugh in my own little world.

"AAAHH-AHHH-AHH-OOO-OOO-WOO-WOOOO!!!!"

Take THAT Covent Grove inhabitants! (see the whole district is "Bob Street" or some shit by now. =P )

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:54 am

Dayspring wrote:I just finished reading Pygmalion. The British accent insults are endless, let alone the possibilities they open up. Since we've moved passed this part of the conversation in the thread, I'll just quote Eliza and laugh in my own little world.

"AAAHH-AHHH-AHH-OOO-OOO-WOO-WOOOO!!!!"
Next thing you know, we'll have you ranting about the "rine in spine"... :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:56 am

You see the movie? Hated the ending. :x

'Enry 'Iggins for Prime Minister!!! Whoo!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:59 am

Dayspring wrote:You see the movie? Hated the ending. :x
You mean My Fair Lady? Yeah... they shouldn't've had her come crawling back to him at the end... it just ruined the ending they were setting up since... well, since the beginning. I still like "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face," though. :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:04 am

She wasn't supposed to come back!!!! The whole purpose of her finally acknowledging her was that she's matured enough to leave!!!