Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:17 pm

SweetCosmicPope wrote:Everyone else seems quite excited, but I'm honestly quite miffed.

Maybe not quite miffed, in that I just have mixed feelings. I love the idea of anything new, relating to Dragonball. It keeps the show fresh in people's minds, and makes the chances of us getting even more new stuff much more likely. And I'm certainly interested to see it.

However, they're messing with a good thing. They are essentially doing the same thing that Funi did, except that since they are the original animators, we're giving them not only slack, but encouragement and excitement.

EDIT: I mean, would we encourage Leonardo DaVinci to alter "The Last Supper?"

I'm just not so sure. It seems they should either:
A) Leave well-enough alone, and just make a new series.
B) Make a new full-length movie.
C) "Reimagine" the series, or make an alternate universe series.

Any of those would have me much more excited. However, any news is good news, when it's related to Dragonball, right?
I agree with you sentiments, Funimation does something new and different with the show everyone wants to tar and feather everyone who works there and burn the offices to the ground. Yet, if Toei goes and jacks with the show everyone is excited, overjoyed and blast off in their collective pants.

I think it would have been better to leave the original alone and just re-animate the whole series with an entirely new VA cast. It would be cool if they would add English subs similar to what Studio Pierrot does with the current episodes of Naruto Shippuden.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:20 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:I agree with you sentiments, Funimation does something new and different with the show everyone wants to tar and feather everyone who works there and burn the offices to the ground. Yet, if Toei goes and jacks with the show everyone is excited, overjoyed and blast off in their collective pants.

I think it would have been better to leave the original alone and just re-animate the whole series with an entirely new VA cast. It would be cool if they would add English subs similar to what Studio Pierrot does with the current episodes of Naruto Shippuden.
We're excited now, sure. They're the people actually responsible for the show in the first place, as opposed to a company founded by someone's nephew with a freebie deciding to take it in a new direction.

Rest assured, if it ends up being terrible (whether it's the effects, the re-done voices, whatever)... we'll be more than happy to whine about it. Let us not forget my initial frustration with the news about "Dragon Box: The Movies" behind cropped.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:23 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:I agree with you sentiments, Funimation does something new and different with the show everyone wants to tar and feather everyone who works there and burn the offices to the ground. Yet, if Toei goes and jacks with the show everyone is excited, overjoyed and blast off in their collective pants.

We're excited now, sure. They're the people actually responsible for the show in the first place, as opposed to a company founded by someone's nephew with a freebie deciding to take it in a new direction.

Rest assured, if it ends up being terrible (whether it's the effects, the re-done voices, whatever)... we'll be more than happy to whine about it. Let us not forget my initial frustration with the news about "Dragon Box: The Movies" behind cropped.
Mike do you have any idea how they are going to reduce everything down to 100 episodes. I cannot see how they are going to accomplish this without doing away with some classic material and that includes some filler.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:25 pm

I'm all for it. There's plenty of stuff they can cut out to condense the series and turn it into something much easier to manage. Plus, FUNi might bring it over, which I'm not against.

Besides, even if it does turn out to be crap the original series is still out there on DVD.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Akuma2120

Post by Akuma2120 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Well this is good news but not as good as I'd like to hear, I would actually like the series to be cut-down in episode numbers to take all the crap out and have it completely re-drawn, with audio re-done like they're doing and in HD quality(blu-ray), too bad... but hey if they're serious about this what I'm hoping for might not be an impossibility in the future

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:30 pm

Kendamu wrote:I'm all for it. There's plenty of stuff they can cut out to condense the series and turn it into something much easier to manage. Plus, FUNi might bring it over, which I'm not against.

Besides, even if it does turn out to be crap the original series is still out there on DVD.
You hope, once the new re-bastardized series drops Toei and Funimation may pull a Disney and throw everything in the vault for a 100 years and occasionally bring it out and scream get the original series before we put it back in moth balls again.

Also I just thought of something will this start yet another Dragonball fan base and flame wars, those who prefer the original versus those who prefer the edited re-mastered?

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:34 pm

HOLY FUCK!

Tears are in my eyes.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:36 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
SweetCosmicPope wrote:Everyone else seems quite excited, but I'm honestly quite miffed.

Maybe not quite miffed, in that I just have mixed feelings. I love the idea of anything new, relating to Dragonball. It keeps the show fresh in people's minds, and makes the chances of us getting even more new stuff much more likely. And I'm certainly interested to see it.

However, they're messing with a good thing. They are essentially doing the same thing that Funi did, except that since they are the original animators, we're giving them not only slack, but encouragement and excitement.

EDIT: I mean, would we encourage Leonardo DaVinci to alter "The Last Supper?"

I'm just not so sure. It seems they should either:
A) Leave well-enough alone, and just make a new series.
B) Make a new full-length movie.
C) "Reimagine" the series, or make an alternate universe series.

Any of those would have me much more excited. However, any news is good news, when it's related to Dragonball, right?
I agree with you sentiments, Funimation does something new and different with the show everyone wants to tar and feather everyone who works there and burn the offices to the ground. Yet, if Toei goes and jacks with the show everyone is excited, overjoyed and blast off in their collective pants.
If Toei had decided to randomly give DBZ the OMGHARDCORE WIDESCREEEEEN treatment, while FUNimation had created their own "fillerless" version of the show, it would have been the other way around. It has nothing to do with the company, but what the company is doing with the show. If you think otherwise, you're being silly.

Also, what's with people defending FUNimation as if it were a person? FUNimation is a company made up of a number of people that want your money, not a person that is going to cry if someone criticizes his work.
Saiyan-Professor wrote:I cannot see how they are going to accomplish this without doing away with some classic material and that includes some filler.
If all goes well, it will be only filler that gets axed. And that's a good thing! God, the pacing of the show will be so much better if they do that.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Kendamu wrote:I'm all for it. There's plenty of stuff they can cut out to condense the series and turn it into something much easier to manage. Plus, FUNi might bring it over, which I'm not against.

You hope, once the new re-bastardized series drops Toei and Funimation may pull a Disney and throw everything in the vault for a 100 years and occasionally bring it out and scream get the original series before we put it back in moth balls again.
That may sound threatening to you, but I really have a hard time paying attention to the entire Namek/Freeza arc let alone all 291 episodes of the show. I think last time I watched it I slept all the way through the Garlic Jr. Saga and then stopped watching around the Great Saiyaman episodes thanks to a very tiring pre-Cell game fillertastic Trunks vs. Cell battle.

Last night, I picked up a volume of the manga at random read from where Goku trains Trunks and Goten in Fusion to where Super Boo is created in a very short period of time and I was reading at a casual pace. I don't expect to see this HD redo go at manga-speed, but I'd like to see something similar to the, "Hey, look, something's always happening!" pace that the new special went at.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 pm

God, I'm so glad Wasted Wisher wasn't lying. This is brilliant.

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:54 pm

Personally, I think this is just stupid. What's the point of re-recording the voices? I could understand if the audio tracks were damaged, but that certainly isn't the case.

I guess Toei just wants to out-do their own remastering job.

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:56 pm

Wonder what fansubbing group is going to pick this up? Might be rough getting these out there what w/ Dragonball Z being licensed over here for years

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Mosaic wrote:Personally, I think this is just stupid. What's the point of re-recording the voices? I could understand if the audio tracks were damaged, but that certainly isn't the case.

Maybe they feel the sound quality is a bit outdated by now.

Hey, as long as the voice actors and actresses perform as well as they did years ago, I'm not complaining.

baragon_kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by baragon_kun » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Not to be some jerk nor start a flame war, but it seems that the Japanese are forgetting about the original Dragonball... you know, the one that was about collecting the 7 balls, rather than power levels...

I hope that they do the same to the original Dragonball but I have my reasons to think that they will not.

Also, will they just recycle the old footage? Well, if they update the footage to look like new animation, why not try replacing the crappy animated footage with a new decent one? You know what I'm talking about.
Last edited by baragon_kun on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:07 pm

Mosaic wrote:Personally, I think this is just stupid. What's the point of re-recording the voices? I could understand if the audio tracks were damaged, but that certainly isn't the case.

They probably need to, because just clipping episodes together wouldn't do it, I think.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:07 pm

baragon_kun wrote:Not to be some jerk nor start a flame war, but it seems that the Japanese are forgetting about the original Dragonball... you know, the one that was about collecting the 7 balls, rather than power levels...

I hope that they do the same to the original Dragonball but I have my reasons to think that they will not.
Dragon Ball Z is more popular. It's not rocket surgery!

SweetCosmicPope
Beyond Newbie

Post by SweetCosmicPope » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:08 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote: If Toei had decided to randomly give DBZ the OMGHARDCORE WIDESCREEEEEN treatment, while FUNimation had created their own "fillerless" version of the show, it would have been the other way around. It has nothing to do with the company, but what the company is doing with the show. If you think otherwise, you're being silly.
I don't know that I agree. I think if Funi does anything other than a true remaster of the series, they'll always get tarred and feathered (and rightly so). If Toei does something new and interesting, and admittedly this is, then it's ok. I do feel that they probably would have gotten a similar reaction if they'd cropped the show for widescreen, as well (also, rightly so).

As long as the regular series is available at the same time, I have no problem with it. I just don't want Toei to turn into George Lucas and call this 100 episodes the "version they always meant to make," and keep the true version from us for years, until they're tired of listening to us bitch.

Don't let my negativity fool you, though. I am quite keen to see what is done with this. And this talk of bringing in the VAs to re-record, and this rumor of redrawing scenes has me interested to see if they include the extended ending from the manga.
"That's Peter Grave's Scat! I'd recognize it anywhere!" - The Film Crew

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:09 pm

I am pretty excited for this. I'm a little skeptical, but we'll see how this turns out....

I hope that they did the same to the original Dragonball, but i have my reasons to think that they will not.
This is for the 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball Z, so probably not.

baragon_kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by baragon_kun » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Or rather, replace the shitty animation parts with new ones, since they will have remade the old footage to look like new. Or am I wrong?

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Or rather, replacing the crappy animation parts with a new version, since they will remake the old footage to look newer. Am I wrong???
Sorry, your bad grammar is bugging me a little, but I don't feel like putting it in red.

Anyways, not all of the original series has bad animation. Some parts do, but some parts are beautiful.

EDIT:
Or rather, replace the shitty animation parts with new ones, since they will have remade the old footage to look like new. Or am I wrong?
Never mind.... :wink:
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.