Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EmmaWinters

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Fukkatsu no F"

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Zelvin wrote:However that still includes Chilled, whose their predecessor.
It depends on if you count Episode of Bardock. EoB was based off of Ooishi's spin-off manga; Toriyama had nothing to do with it outside of providing a design for Chilled when requested.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:44 pm

FatNagger69 wrote:
Zelvin wrote:However that still includes Chilled, whose their predecessor.
It depends on if you count Episode of Bardock. EoB was based off of Ooishi's spin-off manga; Toriyama had nothing to do with it outside of providing a design for Chilled when requested.
However the events would be appropriate and fit well with both Dragon Ball Online and Xenoverse, with all the timey whimey wibbly wobbly thingamabobs. And it wouldn't make sense for Freeza and Cold to be the only people of their entire race. Not unless it was explained that they killed them all. Not that it was. And if they were, we wouldn't have a Freeza race in Xenoverse, much less Heroes. So I feel a lot about them has just been left in the dark because Toriyama focused a bit much on the Saiyans as opposed to every other creature. I mean, Tien was supposed to be a kind of Alien too, but that was forgotten about.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:46 pm

Ooishi considers Episode of Bardock to be a what if story, so Chilled does not exist in the anime and manga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:51 pm

If Gokû and Vegeta are training together under Whis on his and Beerus' planet; I hope we get some fun roommate shenanigans at the beginning of the movie before the serious plot stuff sets in. Gokû and Vegeta don't really hang out with each other in Z, and I can just see potential in them in a dorm-room-esque situation (same reason why I wanted them to train together in the Room of Spirit and Time back during the Cell arc, but it'd actually be funnier now imo that Vegeta's mellowed out).

Bunk-beds. Make it so. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Ooishi considers Episode of Bardock to be a what if story
I believe you, but can you find where she said this? I'd love to have that on-hand for the future.
Zelvin wrote:And it wouldn't make sense for Freeza and Cold to be the only people of their entire race. Not unless it was explained that they killed them all.
That isn't what Toriyama said, though.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:57 pm

Out of curiosity, since it was Maximum Hormone song, that inspired Toriyama-sensei to name movie with this title, would you like to hear this song as, for example, ending theme, or in promotional materials?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:03 pm

FatNagger69 wrote:
I believe you, but can you find where she said this? I'd love to have that on-hand for the future.
Zelvin wrote:And it wouldn't make sense for Freeza and Cold to be the only people of their entire race. Not unless it was explained that they killed them all.
That isn't what Toriyama said, though.
I'm just saying he probably hasn't given much thought to Freeza's race beyond just making him the bad guy. Hence why there's no name for them, no real home world or background or anything of the sort. It would be nice to get some actual intel on them from the horses mouth, as opposed from various other media and writers all having their own take on them.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:09 pm

FatNagger69 wrote:
So I was just absurdly happy and fired-up to be able to draw a Bardock what-if story!
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... roduction/

EOB never happens since it's a what if story. It would ruin the whole idea of Episode of Bardock being a what if story if the whole thing happen.
She/Her

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:12 pm

Episode of Bardock was just an ad for the arcade game DB Heroes.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:31 pm

coola wrote:Out of curiosity, since it was Maximum Hormone song, that inspired Toriyama-sensei to name movie with this title, would you like to hear this song as, for example, ending theme, or in promotional materials?
I'd love to hear it in some capacity.
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't in the movie itself in some way shape or form.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:42 pm

I think it would be nice if it was used somewhere, but I don't really want it playing during the movie proper. My ears aren't really in tune with the metal genres these days.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:45 pm

So much nostalgia speaking about that type of music for dragon ball z films however I doubt we will see that come back in revival of f as we have battle of gods to base predictions on bgm.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Low Tone G wrote:Snip
Personally I dont want them to do the usual "bring this fight to a safe place" thing. If its about dispair, they should tear the Earth to rubble. Not to mention, why would Freeza care about their moral conditions if all planets are the same to him? I also wouldnt want to see this to be a quick-fix thing either. The Z-Heroes should be terrified of Freeza like they were of Kid Buu when he first appeared.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:27 pm

Barunks wrote:Since Freeza is back and stronger than ever in this upcoming movie, does this mean Cooler has to come back in the following film and be even stronger? Seriously, Cooler always seems to show up after Freeza and upstage his every time he shows up, first with cooler having an extra transformation, then with Metal Cooler being waaaay more effective at fighting super saiyans than Cyborg Freeza ever was. I'd be dissapointed if we don't see cooler again is what I'm saying.
Why would Coola be back? Toriyama does not care about him and does not exist in his world. Not to mention if Coola comes back then most fans will be like "Why? Freeza was better".
She/Her

Barunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by Barunks » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:44 pm

All this dismissing of so called "what if" stories. Let's be real here, Dragonball isn't nearly as fun if you stick solely to the manga as if it were scripture.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:16 pm

Barunks wrote:All this dismissing of so called "what if" stories. Let's be real here, Dragonball isn't nearly as fun if you stick solely to the manga as if it were scripture.
Yeah, I personally have never been fond of the whole "canon vs. non canon" debate. I prefer to think of the manga, the anime, and the Toei films as being in their own parallel universes.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:24 pm

Barunks wrote:All this dismissing of so called "what if" stories. Let's be real here, Dragonball isn't nearly as fun if you stick solely to the manga as if it were scripture.
I disagree, I generally enjoyed the manga's material far more than any filler or movies Toei came up with. Speaking from experience of watching many of Toei's anime and their Tokusatsu, Toei's best at their own original properties and when they stick to the script in terms of manga adaptations. Their filler tends to be their worst material (especially Saint Seiya's early filler, that was just some putrid writing). Every once in a while, we'll get a fun "Goku and Piccolo Learn How to Drive"...but most times, not so much.

I've enjoyed the recent materials because Toriyama really gets his characters better than others, even after all this time away from them. Even when they grow as characters...you can still feel them in it.

Few writers can do as well as Toriyama did with last minute retcons and asspulls still seeming to work and be fine. When it clicks in his head, it clicks, and tends to work out.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Toriyama is better at writing characters and stories compare to Toei in my opinion. Looking back at GT and the old DBZ movies, they are not very good. Toriama's characters were memorable and had charm to them while characters like Bio Broli are soulless as possible.
She/Her

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:59 pm

Toei Animation does not have 'in-house writers'. The writers the producers and series directors higher are freelancers who work with any and every studio. These writers with the film directors and series directors to decide on the plot of a work. From there they decide on how to make the work as pliable for the intended audience as possible. That's a big part of where previous films have failed, they try to be too pliable for the lowest common denominator. They are designed to offend as few as possible.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:11 pm

The thing is I can simply still enjoy all these side stories and stuff without considering them "canon" or anything like that. The manga is perfectly fine on its own, and I really haven't seen anything outside of it good enough to be worth the contradictions it creates.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!