Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Regarder
Regular

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Fukkatsu no F"

Post by Regarder » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:38 am

Say, is that animation of Gohan going SS the exact same animation as from BOG, only a different camera angle?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Regarder wrote:Say, is that animation of Gohan going SS the exact same animation as from BOG, only a different camera angle?
No. It's impossible to change the angle using the same hand drawn animation. The drawings would have to be re-done completely. Also, Gohan is in a completely different body position.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:42 pm

Do you think we'll learn more about Freeza's illusive past and his family/species? He was a big enough deal that Beerus knew of him and was the first thing he thought about when he woke up.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution!" -Evil Lord Freeza
The best and most powerful villain in Dragon Ball

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:34 pm

I'm hoping we finally get such real details on his race, but I'm not going to hold my breath since I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Maybe Freeza's race weren't such bad guys after all, maybe his mother was a good person and not much of a fighter!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:05 pm

Seems like these shots were in Jump Festa. Anyone knows who drew these Goku?!

Much better Goku than the one in OPZ and BOG collaboration ticket
And this one.
I love them both. Anyone here recognize this style?!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:28 pm

First one, Yamamuro. Second is that new guy doing the new mainstream art, like the Xenoverse cover.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Maybe Freeza's race weren't such bad guys after all, maybe his mother was a good person and not much of a fighter!
:x
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:41 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Maybe Freeza's race weren't such bad guys after all, maybe his mother was a good person and not much of a fighter!
This is both hilarious and incredibly depressing.

It's one of the main reasons I'm always so damn wary when it comes to new content.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:12 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
This is both hilarious and incredibly depressing.

It's one of the main reasons I'm always so damn wary when it comes to new content.
Yes we will see Freeza's mom, always tryin to teach'er son to be such a good boy. Then Cold tells'I'm the final lesson in becoming an evil dictator is to kills his mum. So Freeza kills his mum, and becomes the big evil. After a good cry. For killin his mum.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:19 pm

Wait.. is the fanbase really that bitter about Minus? I figured Kanzenshuu would be the one place where no one nitpicked continuity and just enjoyed new content for what it was!

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:26 pm

FindKenshi wrote:Wait.. is the fanbase really that bitter about Minus? I figured Kanzenshuu would be the one place where no one nitpicked continuity and just enjoyed new content for what it was!
Well it's a fun little story. But it doesn't fit with the background of Goku when he landed on Earth. According to everything else he was a baby that was found by Elder Gohan, and Goku was a fierce brat until he got dropped on his head down a ravine. Minus says he was 3yrs old when sent to Earth, and wearing Saiyan Armor. It doesn't fit with the early history in Dragon Ball that was established some 30yrs ago.

I think it's a cute side story, maybe alternate timeline or maybe Toriyama is trying to retcon some things and maybe redo Dragon Ball. Who knows really.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:30 pm

Zelvin wrote:
FindKenshi wrote:Wait.. is the fanbase really that bitter about Minus? I figured Kanzenshuu would be the one place where no one nitpicked continuity and just enjoyed new content for what it was!
Well it's a fun little story. But it doesn't fit with the background of Goku when he landed on Earth. According to everything else he was a baby that was found by Elder Gohan, and Goku was a fierce brat until he got dropped on his head down a ravine. Minus says he was 3yrs old when sent to Earth, and wearing Saiyan Armor. It doesn't fit with the early history in Dragon Ball that was established some 30yrs ago.

I think it's a cute side story, maybe alternate timeline or maybe Toriyama is trying to retcon some things and maybe redo Dragon Ball. Who knows really.
Or maybe Raditz was just trying to sound cool? The same way Vegeta never mentioned having a brother. Maybe they were embarassed about the Saiyans' softer side? Raditz had no reason to tell his enemies the whole truth, now did he? ;)

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:39 pm

FindKenshi wrote:Or maybe Raditz was just trying to sound cool? The same way Vegeta never mentioned having a brother. Maybe they were embarassed about the Saiyans' softer side? Raditz had no reason to tell his enemies the whole truth, now did he? ;)
Thing is, this gives us 3 different accounts of where Vegeta was when the planet was blown up by Freeza. Initially said he was off-world with Nappa, next we have Freeza saying Vegeta was secluded somewhere on his ship, and Minus says he was off-world with Raditz somewhere.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:51 pm

Zelvin wrote:Thing is, this gives us 3 different accounts of where Vegeta was when the planet was blown up by Freeza. Initially said he was off-world with Nappa, next we have Freeza saying Vegeta was secluded somewhere on his ship, and Minus says he was off-world with Raditz somewhere.
Well him specifically being with Nappa was from the Bardock TV Special, right? After all, in the manga I think Dodoria just says that Freeza attacked at a time when Vegeta wasn't present, but didn't get more specific than that. The biggest 'purist' fans never considered TV Specials to be canon either, I suppose. As for Freeza saying Vegeta was locked up in a hold in his ship, that is also an anime-only scene. I guess if you're trying to make one coherent continuity including everything--movies, TV specials, anime, and the manga.. and all continuations and databook information--it would begin to get a little convoluted.

Such similar problems arise in US Comics all the time, so by general rule of thumb, the most recent explanation is the working one. So, basically, Minus is the real story. You can kinda wriggle other story elements around and bend them to fit Minus's take on events, or you could just choose to disregard it as 'not canon.' I've personally decided to just discard the notion of canon since all this new content started coming out. It started with Super Exciting Guides new databooks and new interviews slowly changing stuff we knew, then the three new movies as well as stuff like Story of Bardock, Jaco, and Minus. I'm starting to just think of DB as the franchise it is, and not one strict continuity. And I'm a much happier fan since doing so!

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:11 pm

FindKenshi wrote:Well him specifically being with Nappa was from the Bardock TV Special, right? After all, in the manga I think Dodoria just says that Freeza attacked at a time when Vegeta wasn't present, but didn't get more specific than that. The biggest 'purist' fans never considered TV Specials to be canon either, I suppose. As for Freeza saying Vegeta was locked up in a hold in his ship, that is also an anime-only scene. I guess if you're trying to make one coherent continuity including everything--movies, TV specials, anime, and the manga.. and all continuations and databook information--it would begin to get a little convoluted.

Such similar problems arise in US Comics all the time, so by general rule of thumb, the most recent explanation is the working one. So, basically, Minus is the real story. You can kinda wriggle other story elements around and bend them to fit Minus's take on events, or you could just choose to disregard it as 'not canon.' I've personally decided to just discard the notion of canon since all this new content started coming out. It started with Super Exciting Guides new databooks and new interviews slowly changing stuff we knew, then the three new movies as well as stuff like Story of Bardock, Jaco, and Minus. I'm starting to just think of DB as the franchise it is, and not one strict continuity. And I'm a much happier fan since doing so!
The only movies I would've considered canon were "Bardock: father of Goku" and "History of Future Trunks". The others never really fit, with except maybe "Dead Zone" I think what we're seeing is a case of forgetfulness. Got the same feeling when Toriyama was made to do the Buu Saga after wanting to end the series with Cell, and events and scenes that don't measure up with earlier appearances. I don't think Toriyama quite remembered how he started things in Dragon Ball when deciding to do Minus and tell us an untold story. It had been nearly 30yrs since he started the Dragon Ball series and had been working on other stories in the meantime.

Still, because it's Toriyama, that makes it canon, it just doesn't quite fit with the events that we know and are familiar with. He could probably do an extended story with Old Gohan's first meeting with Goku to clear up some things, maybe explain where the armor went and perhaps considered Goku a toddler because of his lack of, say, vocal skills that a normal 3yr old is capable of. He might just end up doing it too.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:17 pm

The History of Trunks TV special would never be canon to the manga since it's adapted from the manga chapter that Toriyama made first. Toei changed things around by having Trunks becoming SSj after Gohan died instead having him already become a SSj at the start.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:17 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: And this one.
I love them both. Anyone here recognize this style?!
I'm really liking new guy's art. Anyone know who he or she is?

Oh!
Re: Freeza's mom

I thought he didn't have one and that Cold is his only parent/asexual reproduction, like Piccolo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:45 pm

Nope. Minus was so embarrassingly terrible that, if it weren't for Battle of Gods, I'd be doubting Toriyama's abilities to actually come up with worthwhile content nowadays.

I don't care about continuity much, it was just horribly written. It disregarded the very nature of a race that had set the tone for entire arcs of the original manga. In favour of what? A shitty, ham-fisted Battle of Gods tie-in? A shower deep attempt at poignancy with Goku's send-off to Earth? Please.

Not to mention Bardock isn't even his character. For someone who praised the special enough to incorporate the character into his own manga, you'd think he'd leave it the fuck alone.

I hate it. I pretend it doesn't exist. Jaco was a fun, 'whatever' kind of read but Minus was a kick in the teeth.

I don't ever see myself feeling differently. It read like amateur fan-manga at best.
It's silly, really. I don't ever react emotionally like this towards stuff from the franchise but for some reason, it got right under my skin.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:55 pm

Well, at least the art was good, I thought.