"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.
User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:39 am

omaro34 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Saonel and Pirina are said to have unlimited regeneration in the preview. Piccolo will get the same thing. Toriyama has the chance to destroy the idea of Piccolo sacrificing himself ever again and that is why he will survive.
I'm guessing you are counting the hours, minutes, and seconds left until the next episode airs.
Yes I am.

If he gets beat up and just sacrifices himself for Gohan then they have successful destroyed Piccolo as a character and I simply won't care about Piccolo. If he can't get one good moment in a tournament like this I will only be able to enjoy Super if I don't care about Piccolo anymore.

After what they gave 18 in this episode even though she is injured there is no excuse for Piccolo to not get the same treatment.

I refuse to believe that Toriyama's said the only thing Piccolo gets in the tournament is a random Universe 10 fighter along with getting destroyed by Universe 6 Namekians and then sacrifice himself for Gohan.

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Saonel and Pirina are said to have unlimited regeneration in the preview. Piccolo will get the same thing. Toriyama has the chance to destroy the idea of Piccolo sacrificing himself ever again and that is why he will survive.
I'm guessing you are counting the hours, minutes, and seconds left until the next episode airs.
Yes I am.

If he gets beat up and just sacrifices himself for Gohan then they have successful destroyed Piccolo as a character and I simply won't care about Piccolo. If he can't get one good moment in a tournament like this I will only be able to enjoy Super if I don't care about Piccolo anymore.

After what they gave 18 in this episode even though she is injured there is no excuse for Piccolo to not get the same treatment.

I refuse to believe that Toriyama's said the only thing Piccolo gets in the tournament is a random Universe 10 fighter along with getting destroyed by Universe 6 Namekians and then sacrifice himself for Gohan.

Detaching yourself from a character you enjoy because of the poor treatment they get in the story is probably the healthiest thing you can do for your own piece of mind.
Sadly, I know I can't do that. A favorite remains a favorite for me, and I tend to separate myself from the series altogether rather than the character itself. Happened with GT, where Piccolo got treated much worse, but my affection for his character remained wholly intact. It's not rage quitting, I just slowly stop looking forward to episodes until I forget to keep up. My tendency to look at something from the writers perspective makes me direct my dissapointment towards the authors rather than the series and the character in question. But just so you know, I am fully and strongly against harassing a writer, on twitter or wherever, because they made creative decisions I do not approve off.

precita
Banned
Posts: 6037
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:59 am

Just curious, do the summaries confirm both U2 and U6 get erased next week or is this just speculation? Or is just one of them?

I haven't been following the summaries. I don't like the idea of both Nameks and the 3 U2 guys all going down in the same episode. That's 5 characters.

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by supercat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:07 am

Michsi wrote:Detaching yourself from a character you enjoy because of the poor treatment they get in the story is probably the healthiest thing you can do for your own piece of mind.
Sadly, I know I can't do that. A favorite remains a favorite for me, and I tend to separate myself from the series altogether rather than the character itself. Happened with GT, where Piccolo got treated much worse, but my affection for his character remained wholly intact. It's not rage quitting, I just slowly stop looking forward to episodes until I forget to keep up. My tendency to look at something from the writers perspective makes me direct my dissapointment towards the authors rather than the series and the character in question. But just so you know, I am fully and strongly against harassing a writer, on twitter or wherever, because they made creative decisions I do not approve off.
The only problem with GT Piccolo was a lack of screentime. The little time that was given, however, was used pretty decently in my opinion. He got to take over a place where powerhouses like Cell, Frieza, and Rild called home. Rild was stated to be stronger than Buu (presumably Buuhan or the strongest Buu in the anime), and Cell and Frieza were likely even stronger than that by the events of the Super 17 saga. So for Piccolo to casually decide on staying in a place filled with power levels of such magnitude, says a lot. Oh and there's the other 17, who was on par with Base Vegeta, who likely kept the power up from Baby. Meaning, that 17 should be even stronger than Cell, Frieza, Rild, and ultimately Buu.

Anyway, this is probably an off topic post, so I'll leave it at that.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:12 am

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
omaro34 wrote: I'm guessing you are counting the hours, minutes, and seconds left until the next episode airs.
Yes I am.

If he gets beat up and just sacrifices himself for Gohan then they have successful destroyed Piccolo as a character and I simply won't care about Piccolo. If he can't get one good moment in a tournament like this I will only be able to enjoy Super if I don't care about Piccolo anymore.

After what they gave 18 in this episode even though she is injured there is no excuse for Piccolo to not get the same treatment.

I refuse to believe that Toriyama's said the only thing Piccolo gets in the tournament is a random Universe 10 fighter along with getting destroyed by Universe 6 Namekians and then sacrifice himself for Gohan.

Detaching yourself from a character you enjoy because of the poor treatment they get in the story is probably the healthiest thing you can do for your own piece of mind.
Sadly, I know I can't do that. A favorite remains a favorite for me, and I tend to separate myself from the series altogether rather than the character itself. Happened with GT, where Piccolo got treated much worse, but my affection for his character remained wholly intact. It's not rage quitting, I just slowly stop looking forward to episodes until I forget to keep up. My tendency to look at something from the writers perspective makes me direct my dissapointment towards the authors rather than the series and the character in question. But just so you know, I am fully and strongly against harassing a writer, on twitter or wherever, because they made creative decisions I do not approve off.
If episode 118 is that bad I will just hit the reset with Piccolo because if I don't I will not be able to enjoy the series as every episode will just piss me off due to everyone else getting good treatment.

As I have said before if Piccolo gets unlimited regeneration then Piccolo sacrifing himself will be very hard for Toei to do. Maybe this is Toriyama doing it on purpose to stop Toei doing it in the future.

Episode 119 gives me the most hope as it implies no one has gone out in a long time.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:16 am

The Special Beam Cannon ain't shit anymore, Pirina just takes it like a champ; it only pisses him off
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:19 am

Kanassa wrote:The Special Beam Cannon ain't shit anymore, Pirina just takes it like a champ; it only pisses him off
His most deadly attack can't even do anything anymore so he might as well just save all his energy to protect Gohan when he drops his guard in the future.

User avatar
Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:44 am

Totamo wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
Totamo wrote: First. One piece is one of the best written shonen ever so that is not an insult.

Second, putting this arc on the same level as the copy vegeta arc, is such an exaggeration that I wonder if you are trolling.
First,One piece is more of adventure manga than a battle manga.
Second,I know it's an exaggeration but I am not trolling.Top has its good moments but the overall execution is so lackluster.
1.Everyone is a mean asshole with negatative traits.There are theories about U11 the justice universe,being evil due to their potrayal.
2.Most of contestants are base goku level.It does not make sense from writing point of view,when freeza the strongest being in universe was defeated we had five enginered creations,two magical creatures,two gods and an angel stronger than him.Even you don't make them strong you can give them hax like darcori.
3.Fake tension
4.Nearly every universe is a either characterless,stereotypical or a parody.
5.Multiversal tournament.That's the biggest reason I compared it to copy vegeta saga,it may be not as much bad but its scope was supposed to be much bigger.
HeroR wrote:
The tournament in One Piece was really just a bunch of thug fighting with only a few skilled fighters. One of the fights had almost all the other fighters being one-shotted and one person won just by standing on the edge and dodging.

One Piece did a better job showing the chaos of a battle royal, but the fights themselves were 'meh' with few exceptions.

Just like like this tournament,but there was some feeling of battle royale,some meaningful tournament confined plot outside fighting and getting the fruit,not to mention that the characters which got focus actually got focus and development unlike toppo,dyspo and jiren about which we know nothing other than justice and stronk.
One piece is a battle shonen, sorry, any series that spends 4 chapters on one fight, is a battle shonen.

Second, I don't really care what you think about the execution but just saying how silly you sound saying something like that. Its like saying dragon ball evolution is on the same tier as GT. You aren't insulting the series, just your credibility on judging it.


Its your opinion and thats all there is but hey saying miley cyrus is better than mozart is one as well.



I personally just can't fathom how people went in to this arc. What the hell were you expecting, what has Super shown you to think any of that was going to happen. We know Toei, Tori and Toyo. What did you think they do with? Did you watch the original dragon ball, we got only a few characters that were actually developed in those and everyone else who was hyped during the preliminaries was one shotted by Goku or Krillin. None of them mattered.



At some point, if you keep eating a apple that taste bad to you, but won't stop when giving the chance you are to blame
I really don't think top is same as copy vegeta arc,I am just salty but my demands are not completely out of world.
Og dragon ball is my favourite series.It's true that nearly everyone was fodder to goku and finalist but the people that participated in the actual tournament had interesting character,development and fights.While we still don't know anything other justice about U11.
They made hit equal to ssbkkx10 along with good amount of hax which means that the only reason they have not tried to give something similar to other characters is just laziness.
Even in this tournament take roshi who was able to give base goku some trouble even if goku was holding back.He got to fight a characters with interesting abilities like darcori and the chicken.They were able to give tingly saiyan multiple episodes in a row when they had already a few episodes focused on them along with pre tournament hype episode.
When I look at all these things,I just get pissed.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

User avatar
Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:49 am

Michsi wrote:

Detaching yourself from a character you enjoy because of the poor treatment they get in the story is probably the healthiest thing you can do for your own piece of mind.
Sadly, I know I can't do that. A favorite remains a favorite for me, and I tend to separate myself from the series altogether rather than the character itself. Happened with GT, where Piccolo got treated much worse, but my affection for his character remained wholly intact. It's not rage quitting, I just slowly stop looking forward to episodes until I forget to keep up. My tendency to look at something from the writers perspective makes me direct my dissapointment towards the authors rather than the series and the character in question. But just so you know, I am fully and strongly against harassing a writer, on twitter or wherever, because they made creative decisions I do not approve off.
I am in the same boat as you,but unlike I just make some story in mind or watch the previous stuff.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

User avatar
TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:53 am

With Ribrianne and Rozie gone, #18 is the last remaining female warrior left in the tournament.

Honestly I did not expect that. I thought it will be Kale or Ribrianne. Happy 18 is getting so much love in this saga.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

precita
Banned
Posts: 6037
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:03 am

I'm even more surprised the bugs and Universe 3 in general seem to be the last remaining fighters in the tournament besides the Pride troopers.

User avatar
TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:36 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:10 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Yes I am.

If he gets beat up and just sacrifices himself for Gohan then they have successful destroyed Piccolo as a character and I simply won't care about Piccolo. If he can't get one good moment in a tournament like this I will only be able to enjoy Super if I don't care about Piccolo anymore.

After what they gave 18 in this episode even though she is injured there is no excuse for Piccolo to not get the same treatment.

I refuse to believe that Toriyama's said the only thing Piccolo gets in the tournament is a random Universe 10 fighter along with getting destroyed by Universe 6 Namekians and then sacrifice himself for Gohan.

Detaching yourself from a character you enjoy because of the poor treatment they get in the story is probably the healthiest thing you can do for your own piece of mind.
Sadly, I know I can't do that. A favorite remains a favorite for me, and I tend to separate myself from the series altogether rather than the character itself. Happened with GT, where Piccolo got treated much worse, but my affection for his character remained wholly intact. It's not rage quitting, I just slowly stop looking forward to episodes until I forget to keep up. My tendency to look at something from the writers perspective makes me direct my dissapointment towards the authors rather than the series and the character in question. But just so you know, I am fully and strongly against harassing a writer, on twitter or wherever, because they made creative decisions I do not approve off.
If episode 118 is that bad I will just hit the reset with Piccolo because if I don't I will not be able to enjoy the series as every episode will just piss me off due to everyone else getting good treatment.

As I have said before if Piccolo gets unlimited regeneration then Piccolo sacrifing himself will be very hard for Toei to do. Maybe this is Toriyama doing it on purpose to stop Toei doing it in the future.

Episode 119 gives me the most hope as it implies no one has gone out in a long time.
Geez man. I've lost hope in Super a long time ago, but YOU starting to lose hope? That just makes me sad, dude. You've been optimistic this whole time. Don't start losing hope for Piccolo now! After 18's good treatment last episode, it gives even a pessimist like me a little bit of hope that our Namekian broskis will get a good episode.

User avatar
Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6572
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:15 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:11 am

What does namekian unlimited regeneration means exactly?
That they don't consume stamina or power to do so?
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:18 am

supercat wrote: The only problem with GT Piccolo was a lack of screentime. The little time that was given, however, was used pretty decently in my opinion. He got to take over a place where powerhouses like Cell, Frieza, and Rild called home. Rild was stated to be stronger than Buu (presumably Buuhan or the strongest Buu in the anime), and Cell and Frieza were likely even stronger than that by the events of the Super 17 saga. So for Piccolo to casually decide on staying in a place filled with power levels of such magnitude, says a lot. Oh and there's the other 17, who was on par with Base Vegeta, who likely kept the power up from Baby. Meaning, that 17 should be even stronger than Cell, Frieza, Rild, and ultimately Buu.

Anyway, this is probably an off topic post, so I'll leave it at that.
If you look at it like that, it's not that bad, but it's still a far cry from how he was used in Z. And anyway, that was just one in the long list of things I did not find great in GT.
namekiansaiyan wrote: If episode 118 is that bad I will just hit the reset with Piccolo
If you can do that, that's good.
Despite everything, I'll probably still keep up hoping even after Super is over and he gets nothing. I can have the lowest of expectations, and still have hope for something good to happen one day. That's how I am, I guess.
namekiansaiyan wrote: His most deadly attack can't even do anything anymore so he might as well just save all his energy to protect Gohan when he drops his guard in the future.
He is not supposed to kill anyone though, no point in charging it up to the point it's deadly
Hawk9211 wrote: I am in the same boat as you,but unlike I just make some story in mind or watch the previous stuff.
That's good too! :thumbup:

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:26 am

Ki Breaker wrote:What does namekian unlimited regeneration means exactly?
That they don't consume stamina or power to do so?
That is what I interpret from it. It is sort of what Buu has I think.
TekTheNinja wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:

Detaching yourself from a character you enjoy because of the poor treatment they get in the story is probably the healthiest thing you can do for your own piece of mind.
Sadly, I know I can't do that. A favorite remains a favorite for me, and I tend to separate myself from the series altogether rather than the character itself. Happened with GT, where Piccolo got treated much worse, but my affection for his character remained wholly intact. It's not rage quitting, I just slowly stop looking forward to episodes until I forget to keep up. My tendency to look at something from the writers perspective makes me direct my dissapointment towards the authors rather than the series and the character in question. But just so you know, I am fully and strongly against harassing a writer, on twitter or wherever, because they made creative decisions I do not approve off.
If episode 118 is that bad I will just hit the reset with Piccolo because if I don't I will not be able to enjoy the series as every episode will just piss me off due to everyone else getting good treatment.

As I have said before if Piccolo gets unlimited regeneration then Piccolo sacrifing himself will be very hard for Toei to do. Maybe this is Toriyama doing it on purpose to stop Toei doing it in the future.

Episode 119 gives me the most hope as it implies no one has gone out in a long time.
Geez man. I've lost hope in Super a long time ago, but YOU starting to lose hope? That just makes me sad, dude. You've been optimistic this whole time. Don't start losing hope for Piccolo now! After 18's good treatment last episode, it gives even a pessimist like me a little bit of hope that our Namekian broskis will get a good episode.
The problem I am having is seeing basically every other character get good treatment and I just ask myself why can't Piccolo get something like that?

Piccolo sacrificing himself is all Piccolo fans worst nightmare. I just really hope he gets this unlimited regeneration ability.

Anyway as I said before that scene would not be in the preview if Piccolo was going out. They would not spoil something like that. Episode 119 implies the next elimination anyway.
Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: His most deadly attack can't even do anything anymore so he might as well just save all his energy to protect Gohan when he drops his guard in the future.
He is not supposed to kill anyone though, no point in charging it up to the point it's deadly
Toei should use another Ki attack then.

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:38 am

namekiansaiyan wrote: Toei should use another Ki attack then.
it's still his most effective attack though. It says more about Pirina's sturdiness and resistance than Piccolo's attack. Besides I'm not completely convinced it really is that, I barely got to see what it was that hit Pirina's stomach.

You say everyone else got a better treatment than him this arc, but I think that has more to do with high expectations not being met due to liking a character more than others.

Btw, shouldn't we be getting the previews for episodes 120 + soon? We're almost out of episode summaries.

User avatar
TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:36 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:54 am

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: Toei should use another Ki attack then.
it's still his most effective attack though. It says more about Pirina's sturdiness and resistance than Piccolo's attack. Besides I'm not completely convinced it really is that, I barely got to see what it was that hit Pirina's stomach.

You say everyone else got a better treatment than him this arc, but I think that has more to do with high expectations not being met due to liking a character more than others.

Btw, shouldn't we be getting the previews for episodes 120 + soon? We're almost out of episode summaries.
High expectations? Dude, Piccolo has knocked out one dude in a forgettable skirmish. I think wanting at least one good fight isn't that high of an expectation bro.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:54 am

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: Toei should use another Ki attack then.
it's still his most effective attack though. It says more about Pirina's sturdiness and resistance than Piccolo's attack. Besides I'm not completely convinced it really is that, I barely got to see what it was that hit Pirina's stomach.

You say everyone else got a better treatment than him this arc, but I think that has more to do with high expectations not being met due to liking a character more than others.

Btw, shouldn't we be getting the previews for episodes 120 + soon? We're almost out of episode summaries.
It is the Special Beam Cannon. It is Pirina's regeneration ability that is stopping the attack

What good moment has Piccolo had? The best thing you can give someone in a tournament is a good fight and elimations and Piccolo is currently last on Universe 7. Everyone seems to be in agreement on this. This talk though is coming because of the preview and I think the preview is fooling everyone. Toei are playing on Piccolo fans' fears.

6- 7th Decmeber is when we will get spoilers.

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:07 am

I feel like it doesn’t make sense to give U6 Namekians infinite regeneration, if Piccolo won’t get it too. I really want Piccolo to convince the Namekians into fusing with him, although they will probably want to fuse one with another before giving up their power to U7. Piccolo could convince them to lend him their power, so he can wish their people back after the Tournament is over.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

darzap
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:38 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by darzap » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:15 am

emperior wrote:I feel like it doesn’t make sense to give U6 Namekians infinite regeneration, if Piccolo won’t get it too. I really want Piccolo to convince the Namekians into fusing with him, although they will probably want to fuse one with another before giving up their power to U7. Piccolo could convince them to lend him their power, so he can wish their people back after the Tournament is over.
Piece of cake, he just has to get his wish against Goku, Frieza, Vegeta and 17.

Post Reply