Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by ShinGaijin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:47 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
ShinGaijin wrote:The Blu-ray screenshots have been scaled down to 900p and the HDTV rips have been upscaled from 720 to 900. I wouldn't really call that untouched.
Ah ah ! :D Gosh, you're right.It's because of my laptop resolution, these are just lazy screenshots.But, the colors still untouched.
dbboxkaifan wrote:Even with the green tint the Majin Boo arc of Kai screenshots look better as it actually shows detail and it's unblurred.
Just look at that Gohan comparison, it's like night and day.
I agree.If we strictly compare the remasterings itselves, Toei's process seems better to me too.And about colors, FUNi easily wins, but it could be really better...without crushed blacks.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:26 pm

Looks so far I was right about Kai having the better quality. The one that is better in the Blu-Rays though is the 3rd picture. Kai looks too green :mrgreen:
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:08 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:#4
Apparently that image has some ringing going on. I would figure that wouldn't exist in a soft image that is highly compressible for BluRay.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:31 pm

There's persistent ringing throughout many shots in Kai. Some as a result of abysmal colour correction, others from bad sharpening processes. Nothing on my end.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:22 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:There's persistent ringing throughout many shots in Kai. Some as a result of abysmal colour correction, others from bad sharpening processes. Nothing on my end.
I've got a direct ts rip of the french dub, and it has softer and more natural footage. All the digitally drawn parts are as sharp as those in the Japanese broadcast. It seems that Toei applied an additional sharpening filter to the film footage for the Japanese version.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:41 am

kei17 wrote:I've got a direct ts rip of the french dub, and it has softer and more natural footage. All the digitally drawn parts are as sharp as those in the Japanese broadcast. It seems that Toei applied an additional sharpening filter to the film footage for the Japanese version.
Aaaaaaaaaaaah, so, someone else noticed that. :D

(I've already posted this comparison in the "Kai" section) : http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/90824

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:36 am

Glad to see they properly cropped the We Were Angles ending. IIRC the OBs were horribly cropped that a lot of the more major stuff wasn't seen well.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:49 am

From the screenshots of season 7, they look like they have dragonbox-ish colours that are really unfocused? :|

I
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:51 pm

kei17 wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:There's persistent ringing throughout many shots in Kai. Some as a result of abysmal colour correction, others from bad sharpening processes. Nothing on my end.
I've got a direct ts rip of the french dub, and it has softer and more natural footage. All the digitally drawn parts are as sharp as those in the Japanese broadcast. It seems that Toei applied an additional sharpening filter to the film footage for the Japanese version.
Really? You got a rip in HQ? I've got some low quality .ts files... I wonder how you do it ^^;

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:29 pm

I only managed to find the season set counter part for the last pic Ajay gave from his Kai Blu-ray:

Kai:
Z:
I am not sure if this is the same frame though.

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:41 pm

Wow, the season set remaster looks infinitely better than Kai's, judging by that screen-shot alone. I implore anyone to give me at least one reason as to how Kai looks even remotely better.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:44 pm

TheBalishChannel wrote:Wow, the season set remaster looks infinitely better than Kai's, judging by that screen-shot alone. I implore anyone to give me at least one reason as to how Kai looks even remotely better.
The shading is actually soft and blends like the original cel rather than being as flat and jagged as the season set.

In terms of colour and absence of ringing in that particular shot, sure, it wins in that regard.

I'd take a colour corrected Kai over the season set though.

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:55 pm

TheBalishChannel wrote:Wow, the season set remaster looks infinitely better than Kai's, judging by that screen-shot alone. I implore anyone to give me at least one reason as to how Kai looks even remotely better.
That comparison that Saiyan posted does look better than the Kai Blu-rays but if you go to the previous page you'll see that the FUNimation Season Blu-rays aren't that good as that screenshot above, i.e, it's too blurry, all the details' gone and the colours are almost as bad as the Dragon Boxes Z (too red/pinky).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:02 pm

Ajay, do you know round about which episodes your other screen shots were from, I cant seem to find them.

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:06 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:The shading is actually soft and blends like the original cel rather than being as flat and jagged as the season set.

In terms of colour and absence of ringing in that particular shot, sure, it wins in that regard.

I'd take a colour corrected Kai over the season set though.
Color correction, as far as I can tell, wouldn't do the footage in Kai much good unless they (or someone else who's willing to correct the footage themselves) opted to do more extensive, manual editing along with it to remove the ringing artifacts on the image. The red and green lines that trace the black are burnt into the remastered footage itself and color correcting would only change their hues slightly but not remove them. Also, the grain is completely removed from the film in Kai, which on top of the contrast being increased by a large margin, makes the overall imagery look very amateur-ish and sloppy. But here I go sprouting nonsense about remastered footage so I should probably stop.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:31 pm

TheBalishChannel wrote:Color correction, as far as I can tell, wouldn't do the footage in Kai much good unless they (or someone else who's willing to correct the footage themselves) opted to do more extensive, manual editing along with it to remove the ringing artifacts on the image. The red and green lines that trace the black are burnt into the remastered footage itself and color correcting would only change their hues slightly but not remove them. Also, the grain is completely removed from the film in Kai, which on top of the contrast being increased by a large margin, makes the overall imagery look very amateur-ish and sloppy. But here I go sprouting nonsense about remastered footage so I should probably stop.
Colour correction and a quick chromatic abrasion filter produces some pretty decent results:
The removed grain is far less distracting than the blocky noise left on the Season Sets that streaks across the image in random blocks. Contrast is mostly fine in Kai. It's only the brightness that's an issue. It's at least fixable unlike the blown out mess on the Season Sets.

Both are pretty fucking awful but I'd much prefer to watch Kai since its issues are mostly fixable. I'll 100% concede that the season sets are certainly naturally sharper.
Ajay, do you know round about which episodes your other screen shots were from, I cant seem to find them.
They're one of the early Kai episodes. Possibly #103? I don't really remember. It's an early high school episode.

Deadtuber.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:34 pm

Funimation has posted the trailer for season 9

http://www.funimation.com/shows/dragon- ... ne-blu-ray

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:35 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:Hey can somebody post comparison pic of season 7 and the boo saga kai?
Here you are. :) I specify that my Kai's HDTV raws are untouched.

Wow from these comparison shots I can tell that season 7 looks way better then Kai. BTW are those shots from the blu rays or from the orange bricks?

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:26 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Wow from these comparison shots I can tell that season 7 looks way better then Kai.
Yu.. you sure about that? Although Kai's colors are questionable, it still clearly has a sharper image. Season 7 looks like it has Dragon Box colors, and the line details look blurred. The backgrounds pop more I'll say for the Z Blurays.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Does anyone have photo's uploaded yet of what season 7 looks like?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!