"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.
User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:24 am

Michsi wrote:
HeroR wrote:
TheDipDap1234 wrote:So I guess 18 is the new hated character now for doing much more than people expected. I'm expecting to see some "18 outlasting Piccolo is due to feminism" comments after 119 airs.
Funny how 18 went from the hero who rung out Rib, to the new hated character. It seems being a girl isn't a good thing for the TOP. I mean, almost one is calling for 17's head and he has almost as much scene time as 18.

Then again, this forum resents Roshi for not only being in the tournament, but daring to do so well.
I haven't seen this here so much, is that going around somewhere else?

18 lasting so long was always a possibility due to her brother, since they seem to come in a pair. Also, if there if some robot control thing happening and they saved that for later it makes sense to have them both instead of just 17.

I thought the Roshi thing was universally liked.
I was always on Roshi's side and 18 has had her good treatment so she should of been the next one to go but no it is the one who has had the worst treatment out of the 7 remaining. That is typical Toriyama shit for you. Piccolo would provide a lot more than 18 could so I am convinced she is just here to get controlled by Paparoni.

When you think about it what exactly is Vegeta going to get apart from a beatdown in episode 122? I can only see him helping with the fused Robot. It would probably explain why he got all the randoms in the tournament.
sintzu wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:It looks Vegeta is finally going out(about time).
He's had so little screen time and important fights that him being in or out won't make much of a difference.
I don't even know where his big win is coming from now.
HeroR wrote:
She did do training. She trained for the tournament in the Buu Saga and she trained for this one with Krillin.

Where is this narrative that she never trained come from?
That training before the tournament would have done nothing. She definitely does not do the kind of training Piccolo and Tien do.
DSB wrote:
Gohan is Boring AF. Vegeta is much more pleasing to the eye
They are both boring and so are 17 anf 18.

The other 6 members of the team much more interesting to watch.
HeroR wrote:
I was talking specifically about this site where 18 went from hero to now, 'she lasted too long'. There is one person on Gaf Discord who is pissed 18 outlasted Piccolo, but for the most part people are sad about Piccolo, but are happily surprised that 18 is still in. And people thought Tien would stay until the bugs since he sensed them, so there being robots weren't promised to 17 and 18. The same that Gohan despite being a Saiyan never touched any of the U6 Saiyans.

Talking specifically of this site with this too. But we have seen several posters talk about how 'unrealistic' it was that Roshi did so well and it was all favoritism because Piccolo didn't have a shining moment like Roshi.
You can add me as well to the total pissed about 18 outlasting Piccolo. I am also pissed about Krillin and Tien. It is favouritism by the writers and if you can't see then that is your problem and I was always 100% on Roshi's side. It is exactly why Goku vs Caulifla and Kale lasted 4 episodes even if 2 were as a fusion and it should have been 2. It also wby 17 looks good in every scene to fans apart from the black hole and why 18 is getting so much.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:30 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:I don't even know where his big win is coming from now.
From the manga hopefully, alongside everyone else who were sidelined for Goku.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:34 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by DSB » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:31 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
DSB wrote:
Gohan is Boring AF. Vegeta is much more pleasing to the eye
They are both boring and so are 17 anf 18.

The other 6 members of the team much more interesting to watch.
Tien and Krillin arent Boring? Wow your point of view must suck. Only Goku Vegeta Freeza and Roshi were interesting.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:35 am

sintzu wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:I don't even know where his big win is coming from now.
From the manga hopefully, alongside everyone else who were sidelined for Goku.
I think the big fights won't be changed though only the fights against some of the random characters will be.

This what happens when there are few powerful opponents for team Universe 7 and too many strong people on team Universe 7. There is not enough to go around.
DSB wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
DSB wrote:
Gohan is Boring AF. Vegeta is much more pleasing to the eye
They are both boring and so are 17 anf 18.

The other 6 members of the team much more interesting to watch.
Tien and Krillin arent Boring? Wow your point of view must suck. Only Goku Vegeta Freeza and Roshi were interesting.
I like all the different moves and attack they have. I don't like the way Gohan and Gohan literally just go in and is a bunch of punches and kicks. It is why I like Piccolo so much as he has a lot of variety in the way he fights and thinks and no one else is like him.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:42 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:This what happens when there are few powerful opponents for team Universe 7 and too many strong people on team Universe 7. There is not enough to go around.
What I hope the manga does is power up some of the seemingly weak characters and give Piccolo, Goha, Vegeta, etc. better choreographed fights with them. Like instead of having Piccolo's fight with the Namakian switching back and forth to Goku and Gohan I'd let him have a whole fight that's just about him then move on to the next one instead of just rushing everything to get back to Goku.

In terms of Freeza, I think they're just saving him for a solo future arc as there's nothing left to justify his return just for the tournament.
Last edited by sintzu on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:47 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote: I haven't seen this here so much, is that going around somewhere else?

18 lasting so long was always a possibility due to her brother, since they seem to come in a pair. Also, if there if some robot control thing happening and they saved that for later it makes sense to have them both instead of just 17.

I thought the Roshi thing was universally liked.
I was talking specifically about this site where 18 went from hero to now, 'she lasted too long'. There is one person on Gaf Discord who is pissed 18 outlasted Piccolo, but for the most part people are sad about Piccolo, but are happily surprised that 18 is still in. And people thought Tien would stay until the bugs since he sensed them, so there being robots weren't promised to 17 and 18. The same that Gohan despite being a Saiyan never touched any of the U6 Saiyans.

Talking specifically of this site with this too. But we have seen several posters talk about how 'unrealistic' it was that Roshi did so well and it was all favoritism because Piccolo didn't have a shining moment like Roshi.
That's not exactly hate, at least when compared to what the saiyan girls and Ribrianne got. I was never convinced the robots were 100% promised to the androids, I only came to that conclusion after I saw the summaries. I was more for the notion of her being tied to 17, who was very obviously going to last long.

I think I wasn't paying that much attention with Roshi, I was under the impression that everyone was pleasantly surprised about Roshi.
namekiansaiyan wrote: I was always on Roshi's side and 18 has had her good treatment so she should of been the next one to go but no it is the one who has had the worst treatment out of the 7 remaining. That is typical Toriyama shit for you. Piccolo would provide a lot more than 18 could so I am convinced she is just here to get controlled by Paparoni.

When you think about it what exactly is Vegeta going to get apart from a beatdown in episode 122? I can only see him helping with the fused Robot. It would probably explain why he got all the randoms in the tournament.
I'm going to wait for the upcoming episode before I pass judgement. I would rather have Piccolo drop out after a significant moment, rather than have him stick around and do nothing.
As for Vegeta, I don't see him being treated as badly as some expect/hope, because it's Vegeta.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8306
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:56 am

Michsi wrote: That's not exactly hate, at least when compared to what the saiyan girls and Ribrianne got. I was never convinced the robots were 100% promised to the androids, I only came to that conclusion after I saw the summaries. I was more for the notion of her being tied to 17, who was very obviously going to last long.

I think I wasn't paying that much attention with Roshi, I was under the impression that everyone was pleasantly surprised about Roshi.
It is still hate. It just isn't as heated as Cali, Kale, and Rib since it is more recent. I mean, 18 was 'supposed' to go down in 117 and when that didn't happened, fans started to turn on her since it looked like she may outlast Piccolo despite getting rid of Rib. 17 and 18 haven't really been that tied until recently.

People were happy for Roshi, until he outperformed fan-favorites like Hit and Piccolo. Then it turned into 'why did Roshi do better than these people!'. Basically, what is happening to 18 now. She is performing 'too well' compared to fan-fanvorites which breeds resentment. Even when the character in question has nothing to do with the other character's treatment. I mean, being mad about Piccolo going out is one thing, but what does 18 staying in has to do with it?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:00 am

Michsi wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote: I haven't seen this here so much, is that going around somewhere else?

18 lasting so long was always a possibility due to her brother, since they seem to come in a pair. Also, if there if some robot control thing happening and they saved that for later it makes sense to have them both instead of just 17.

I thought the Roshi thing was universally liked.
I was talking specifically about this site where 18 went from hero to now, 'she lasted too long'. There is one person on Gaf Discord who is pissed 18 outlasted Piccolo, but for the most part people are sad about Piccolo, but are happily surprised that 18 is still in. And people thought Tien would stay until the bugs since he sensed them, so there being robots weren't promised to 17 and 18. The same that Gohan despite being a Saiyan never touched any of the U6 Saiyans.

Talking specifically of this site with this too. But we have seen several posters talk about how 'unrealistic' it was that Roshi did so well and it was all favoritism because Piccolo didn't have a shining moment like Roshi.
That's not exactly hate, at least when compared to what the saiyan girls and Ribrianne got. I was never convinced the robots were 100% promised to the androids, I only came to that conclusion after I saw the summaries. I was more for the notion of her being tied to 17, who was very obviously going to last long.

I think I wasn't paying that much attention with Roshi, I was under the impression that everyone was pleasantly surprised about Roshi.
namekiansaiyan wrote: I was always on Roshi's side and 18 has had her good treatment so she should of been the next one to go but no it is the one who has had the worst treatment out of the 7 remaining. That is typical Toriyama shit for you. Piccolo would provide a lot more than 18 could so I am convinced she is just here to get controlled by Paparoni.

When you think about it what exactly is Vegeta going to get apart from a beatdown in episode 122? I can only see him helping with the fused Robot. It would probably explain why he got all the randoms in the tournament.
I'm going to wait for the upcoming episode before I pass judgement. I would rather have Piccolo drop out after a significant moment, rather than have him stick around and do nothing.
As for Vegeta, I don't see him being treated as badly as some expect/hope, because it's Vegeta.
If he stayed then he would obviously do something. I really wanted to go Giant Form against Bergamo or this Fused Robot. It is just another Kamehameha

Significant moment? Even I am struggling to think of something he could do that is significant in episode 119 unless he is the reason Universe 4 loses.

What exactly can Vegeta do with what is left? He might help beat the fused Robot and that might be what Toshio was talking about on Twitter. If he stays in after losing to Jiren I will be pissed as why is Hit the only that gets pushed out after losing to him?

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:50 am

HeroR wrote: It is still hate. It just isn't as heated as Cali, Kale, and Rib since it is more recent. I mean, 18 was 'supposed' to go down in 117 and when that didn't happened, fans started to turn on her since it looked like she may outlast Piccolo despite getting rid of Rib. 17 and 18 haven't really been that tied until recently.

People were happy for Roshi, until he outperformed fan-favorites like Hit and Piccolo. Then it turned into 'why did Roshi do better than these people!'. Basically, what is happening to 18 now. She is performing 'too well' compared to fan-fanvorites which breeds resentment. Even when the character in question has nothing to do with the other character's treatment. I mean, being mad about Piccolo going out is one thing, but what does 18 staying in has to do with it?
I remember them sticking together after Krillin got eliminated in the beginning, ever since 17 commented that 18 has become 'kind' or something like that. In 106 we see them together and pretty much ever since. I thought they'd let 17 solo perform at some point, now I'm not so sure.

I think this type of resentment comes from feeling like the non-favorite 'stole' something. It's basically just looking for a scapegoat. Someone had to be eliminated at some point, and the spite comes from picking one over the other. I've seen hate towards 18 from fans of her brother simply because she got more love from the franchise/screetime than he did.

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Significant moment? Even I am struggling to think of something he could do that is significant in episode 119 unless he is the reason Universe 4 loses.
Maybe. I'm just reeeeaaaaally hoping the actual episode isn't as bad the summary make it out to be.

Believe it or not, I'm actually curious to see how they'll handle and if it. Please just don't let it be because ' he let his guard down'. I think I've heard this phrase a million times this arc alone. :lol:

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:00 am

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Significant moment? Even I am struggling to think of something he could do that is significant in episode 119 unless he is the reason Universe 4 loses.
Maybe. I'm just reeeeaaaaally hoping the actual episode isn't as bad the summary make it out to be.

Believe it or not, I'm actually curious to see how they'll handle and if it. Please just don't let it be because ' he let his guard down'. I think I've heard this phrase a million times this arc alone. :lol:
I hope that Piccolo uses his ears to get the Bugs.

Him going out because 'he let his guard down' would be ridiculous as he is the one character that wouldn't.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8306
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:01 am

Michsi wrote: I remember them sticking together after Krillin got eliminated in the beginning, ever since 17 commented that 18 has become 'kind' or something like that. In 106 we see them together and pretty much ever since. I thought they'd let 17 solo perform at some point, now I'm not so sure.

I think this type of resentment comes from feeling like the non-favorite 'stole' something. It's basically just looking for a scapegoat. Someone had to be eliminated at some point, and the spite comes from picking one over the other. I've seen hate towards 18 from fans of her brother simply because she got more love from the franchise/screetime than he did.
I don't believe the androids were in 106. They were together briefly in 101, but separated when 18 went to help Goku. 17 then fought by himself in 102 and 103. After that, they both disappeared until 109 and 110, and didn't start fighting again until 115.

That is what I mean. 18 is a scapegoat by frustrated Piccolo' fans, just as Roshi is scapegoated for doing so well because he stole 'love' or something. You see this in that horrible Youtube video talking about 'Toriyama hand job'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned
Posts: 6037
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:11 am

Whenever people say Vegeta didn't get much screentime it blows my mind. He's featured in almost every episode like Goku is, has the most focus and eliminations after Goku, etc. I don't know what people want, he doesn't have to beat any other big opponent.

Gohan, 17, Piccolo and Freeza didn't get half as much focus as Vegeta got.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:15 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote: I remember them sticking together after Krillin got eliminated in the beginning, ever since 17 commented that 18 has become 'kind' or something like that. In 106 we see them together and pretty much ever since. I thought they'd let 17 solo perform at some point, now I'm not so sure.

I think this type of resentment comes from feeling like the non-favorite 'stole' something. It's basically just looking for a scapegoat. Someone had to be eliminated at some point, and the spite comes from picking one over the other. I've seen hate towards 18 from fans of her brother simply because she got more love from the franchise/screetime than he did.
I don't believe the androids were in 106. They were together briefly in 101, but separated when 18 went to help Goku. 17 then fought by himself in 102 and 103. After that, they both disappeared until 109 and 110, and didn't start fighting again until 115.

That is what I mean. 18 is a scapegoat by frustrated Piccolo' fans, just as Roshi is scapegoated for doing so well because he stole 'love' or something. You see this in that horrible Youtube video talking about 'Toriyama hand job'.
No Piccolo fan would give a shit about 18 if he got similar treatment. We don't understand why Piccolo gets so little when a character who was never important gets so much. That is why I am pissed with 17's return as well return but he is worse as he has that annoying mr perfect attitude.

I am a big Roshi fan but him 17 and 18 have came out fucking nowhere and shoved Piccolo, Krillin, Tien and technically even Buu and Yamcha to the side. Before you say that have not stolen things from, I say they definitely have because every fight or elimination they get is less oppurtunity for others.

There was 70 fighters to around so there was no excuses.
precita wrote:Whenever people say Vegeta didn't get much screentime it blows my mind. He's featured in almost every episode like Goku is, has the most focus and eliminations after Goku, etc. I don't know what people want, he doesn't have to beat any other big opponent.

Gohan, 17, Piccolo and Freeza didn't get half as much focus as Vegeta got.
Vegeta fans are pissed because of what his screen time has amounted to. He has basically taken out the weakest in the tournament apart from his team up with Goku against the Trio de Dangers. He also hasn't really done anything since episode 107.

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:34 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote: I remember them sticking together after Krillin got eliminated in the beginning, ever since 17 commented that 18 has become 'kind' or something like that. In 106 we see them together and pretty much ever since. I thought they'd let 17 solo perform at some point, now I'm not so sure.

I think this type of resentment comes from feeling like the non-favorite 'stole' something. It's basically just looking for a scapegoat. Someone had to be eliminated at some point, and the spite comes from picking one over the other. I've seen hate towards 18 from fans of her brother simply because she got more love from the franchise/screetime than he did.
I don't believe the androids were in 106. They were together briefly in 101, but separated when 18 went to help Goku. 17 then fought by himself in 102 and 103. After that, they both disappeared until 109 and 110, and didn't start fighting again until 115.

That is what I mean. 18 is a scapegoat by frustrated Piccolo' fans, just as Roshi is scapegoated for doing so well because he stole 'love' or something. You see this in that horrible Youtube video talking about 'Toriyama hand job'.
If memory serves, they were shown together when they gave a sort of status report to U7 and I've been under the impression they were sticking close to one another ever since. I actually think this is one of the reasons Krilling got eliminated so early, because they wanted an opportunity to get the android pair back together. We don't see them together as often in the first episodes of the tournament because I think they wanted each to have an individual moment with Goku.

The 'stole the spotlight' theory has some validity to it, albeit not as much as some might want it to. If they wanted to have Piccolo do more, they would have. It's simple as that. For whatever reason they chose to go down this route, we'll probably never know. It might be because they thought he doesn't need the push, as he's popular enough already and 17&18 need it more.
I honestly don't think the writers/Toriyama think they're doing the character a disservice, and creators in general don't have the same type of attachment to their own characters the way the fans do.
Last edited by Michsi on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8306
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:34 am

precita wrote:Whenever people say Vegeta didn't get much screentime it blows my mind. He's featured in almost every episode like Goku is, has the most focus and eliminations after Goku, etc. I don't know what people want, he doesn't have to beat any other big opponent.

Gohan, 17, Piccolo and Freeza didn't get half as much focus as Vegeta got.
Actually, Vegeta disappeared for a time. After 102, he didn't show up again until 106 and wasn't in 108 or 113.

Gohan has been in almost every episode of the tournament saved for 104, 105, 107, and 113. Piccolo shares almost all Gohan's scene time except 108. Freeza disappeared after 102, but he has been in every episode after 108.
namekiansaiyan wrote:
No Piccolo fan would give a shit about 18 if he got similar treatment. We don't understand why Piccolo gets so little when a character who was never important gets so much. That is why I am pissed with 17's return as well return but he is worse as he has that annoying mr perfect attitude.

I am a big Roshi fan but him 17 and 18 have came out fucking nowhere and shoved Piccolo, Krillin, Tien and technically even Buu and Yamcha to the side. Before you say that have not stolen things from, I say they definitely have because every fight or elimination they get is less oppurtunity for others.

There was 70 fighters to around so there was no excuses.
This reads like entitlement, "My character is important, this character isn't, so therefor my character deserves more". Basically, you're whining because characters you don't like as much got attention, while your favorites didn't.

Honestly, this is a mindset of a spoiled brat and this is why no one here sympathized with you. You can be mad with how Piccolo has been treated without scapegoating other characters because you're frustrated. Especially when those character have nothing do with Piccolo or his lack of scene time. 17 and 18 did 'steal' time from Piccolo, Tien, Krillin, Piccolo, or even Buu who freaking Freeza replaced, not the androids. If the writers and director wanted to used these characters, they would have regardless of 17 and 18.
Michsi wrote:
If memory serves, they were shown together when they gave a sort of status report to U7 and I've been under the impression they were sticking close to one another ever since. I actually think this is one of the reasons Krillin got eliminated so early, because they wanted an opportunity to get the android pair back together. We don't see them together as often in the first episodes of the tournament because I think they wanted each to have an individual moment with Goku.

The 'stole the spotlight' theory has some validity to it, albeit not as much as some might want it to. If they wanted to have Piccolo do more, they would have. It's simple as that. For whatever reason they chose to go down this route, we'll probably never know. It might be because they thought he doesn't need the push, as he's popular enough already and 17&18 need it more.
I honestly don't think the writers/Toriyama think they're doing the character a disservice, and creators in general don't have the same type of attachment to their own characters the way the fans do.
I just checked 106. They weren't in it. Are you thinking of 117 with the pictures of all the universes' remaining fighters?

Read namekiansaiyan in this quote and you see what I mean by scapegoating.

Overall, characters are always scapegoating when another character doesn't get attention. First it was the U6 Saiyans and Rib who 'stole' the spotlight and people wanted them out so their character could shine. Those characters got out, their characters still didn't shine, and now they need a new scapegoat. 18 is just the unlucky scapegoat because she was the easy money to go out next.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
Whatever
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Whatever » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:10 am

Michsi wrote: I honestly don't think the writers/Toriyama think they're doing the character a disservice, and creators in general don't have the same type of attachment to their own characters the way the fans do.
That much is not true and its not even an attachment thing,they are aware when they treat characters badly as shown by the GT interview and even aknowledging Vegeta's bad treatment in the Toei movies.
The writers are grown up adults so they know something that simple,its just that they don't care for some characters and its shown,you can feel the love about Roshi's character in his Top episodes just like you could the feel indifference for Tien in his own spotlight episode.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:19 am

HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
No Piccolo fan would give a shit about 18 if he got similar treatment. We don't understand why Piccolo gets so little when a character who was never important gets so much. That is why I am pissed with 17's return as well return but he is worse as he has that annoying mr perfect attitude.

I am a big Roshi fan but him 17 and 18 have came out fucking nowhere and shoved Piccolo, Krillin, Tien and technically even Buu and Yamcha to the side. Before you say that have not stolen things from, I say they definitely have because every fight or elimination they get is less oppurtunity for others.

There was 70 fighters to around so there was no excuses.
This reads like entitlement, "My character is important, this character isn't, so therefor my character deserves more". Basically, you're whining because characters you don't like as much got attention, while your favorites didn't.

Honestly, this is a mindset of a spoiled brat and this is why no one here sympathized with you. You can be mad with how Piccolo has been treated without scapegoating other characters because you're frustrated. Especially when those character have nothing do with Piccolo or his lack of scene time. 17 and 18 did 'steal' time from Piccolo, Tien, Krillin, Piccolo, or even Buu who freaking Freeza replaced, not the androids. If the writers and director wanted to used these characters, they would have regardless of 17 and 18.
Michsi wrote:
If memory serves, they were shown together when they gave a sort of status report to U7 and I've been under the impression they were sticking close to one another ever since. I actually think this is one of the reasons Krillin got eliminated so early, because they wanted an opportunity to get the android pair back together. We don't see them together as often in the first episodes of the tournament because I think they wanted each to have an individual moment with Goku.

The 'stole the spotlight' theory has some validity to it, albeit not as much as some might want it to. If they wanted to have Piccolo do more, they would have. It's simple as that. For whatever reason they chose to go down this route, we'll probably never know. It might be because they thought he doesn't need the push, as he's popular enough already and 17&18 need it more.
I honestly don't think the writers/Toriyama think they're doing the character a disservice, and creators in general don't have the same type of attachment to their own characters the way the fans do.
I just checked 106. They weren't in it. Are you thinking of 117 with the pictures of all the universes' remaining fighters?

Read namekiansaiyan in this quote and you see what I mean by scapegoating.

Overall, characters are always scapegoating when another character doesn't get attention. First it was the U6 Saiyans and Rib who 'stole' the spotlight and people wanted them out so their character could shine. Those characters got out, their characters still didn't shine, and now they need a new scapegoat. 18 is just the unlucky scapegoat because she was the easy money to go out next.
It is entitlement and I don't care. Yes it is to do with characters I like and guess what? If Goku went out next episode fans of his would feel the same and so would Gohan fans and Vegeta fans and Frieza fans. Why would I want anyone to sympathise with me about this especially as I am probably the prime candiate for most annoying poster on here. The Androids are always being given good perfomances because the directors are fanboys who admitted it. It also has to do with them not doing anything before and that applies to Roshi as well. Michsi has got it right when it comes to Piccolo's popularity so Piccolo does not need shining moments.

17 and 18 have stolen screen time of others simple as that and so has Goku. The last time I checked this is a tournament about team Universe 7 and not just a few members of it.

17 and 18 did appear together in episode 106 at the end.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8306
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:37 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
It is entitlement and I don't care. Yes it is to do with characters I like and guess what? If Goku went out next episode fans of his would feel the same and so would Gohan fans and Vegeta fans and Frieza fans. Why would I want anyone to sympathise with me about this especially as I am probably the prime candiate for most annoying poster on here. The Androids are always being given good perfomances because the directors are fanboys who admitted it. It also has to do with them not doing anything before and that applies to Roshi as well. Michsi has got it right when it comes to Piccolo's popularity so Piccolo does not need shining moments.

17 and 18 have stolen screen time of others simple as that and so has Goku. The last time I checked this is a tournament about team Universe 7 and not just a few members of it.

17 and 18 did appear together in episode 106 at the end.
Yes, it's entitlement because you're blaming characters that have nothing to do with your favorites lack of spotlight.

Here is what you're missing. It isn't about being upset that your favorite got ringed out. It's being upset and then blaming characters you don't like for them going out. For example, if Gohan was the one taking the fall, I would be defending Piccolo if Gohan fans blamed him, for example, for staying in since 'Gohan is more important'.

You can have a favorite character and cheer for them without, quite frankly, being an asshole. Look at CJStriker_CBR. They were a hardcore Rib fan, suppotive her through thick and thin despite a lot of people hating Rib. When Rib was eliminated in 117, people who hated Rib sympathized with them despite their personal feelings on the character. Because they were an overall positive person who didn't have to shit on other characters to promote their favorite. They were actually happy that 18 got the win, the way she won, and hoped Rib learned from it. That is how you support a character, not acting like a jerk and whining when things don't go your way. And keep in mind, CJStriker_CBR was upset that Rib went in 117 because she felt she deserved another episode and should have rung out someone from U7 because of all the scene time she got.

Show me the interview where the directors of this arc said they were fanboys of the androids.

Again, 17 and 18 getting focused didn't 'steal' from Piccolo. You can argued that Goku did, but 17 and 18 had nowhere near as much spotlight, they disappeared for several months, and they're just now getting focused again. 17 and 18 existing didn't somehow lead to Piccolo being rung out now or him having little battles. That was how the arc was design.

The androids appeared together in a title card. I mean, the same rundown that showed Roshi throwing a kick when he was so tired he could barely stand at the start of this episode and the beginning of 107.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:52 am

HeroR wrote:
Yes, it's entitlement because you're blaming characters that have nothing to do with your favorites lack of spotlight.

Here is what you're missing. It isn't about being upset that your favorite got ringed out. It's being upset and then blaming characters you don't like for them going out. For example, if Gohan was the one taking the fall, I would be defending Piccolo if Gohan fans blamed him, for example, for staying in since 'Gohan is more important'.

You can have a favorite character and cheer for them without, quite frankly, being an asshole. Look at CJStriker_CBR. They were a hardcore Rib fan, suppotive her through thick and thin despite a lot of people hating Rib. When Rib was eliminated in 117, people who hated Rib sympathized with them despite their personal feelings on the character. Because they were an overall positive person who didn't have to shit on other characters to promote their favorite. They were actually happy that 18 got the win, the way she won, and hoped Rib learned from it. That is how you support a character, not acting like a jerk and whining when things don't go your way. And keep in mind, CJStriker_CBR was upset that Rib went in 117 because she felt she deserved another episode and should have rung out someone from U7 because of all the scene time she got.

Show me the interview where the directors of this arc said they were fanboys of the androids.

Again, 17 and 18 getting focused didn't 'steal' from Piccolo. You can argued that Goku did, but 17 and 18 had nowhere near as much spotlight, they disappeared for several months, and they're just now getting focused again. 17 and 18 existing didn't somehow lead to Piccolo being rung out now or him having little battles. That was how the arc was design.

The androids appeared together in a title card. I mean, the same rundown that showed Roshi throwing a kick when he was so tired he could barely stand at the start of this episode and the beginning of 107.
I am actually very positive but I am also very negative at the same time and that is the difference between me and that person you mentioned. While everyone was saying how Krillin, Tien and Roshi would ruin the tournament I was completly positive about them but then I will also be on the negative side of things like Goku taking all the screen time.

I will remember 17, 18, Caulifla, Kale, Ribrianne and Goku for stealing screen time. Vegeta, Gohan, Frieza, Piccolo, Roshi, Tien and Krillin will not be.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8306
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:11 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
I am actually very positive but I am also very negative at the same time and that is the difference between me and that person you mentioned. While everyone was saying how Krillin, Tien and Roshi would ruin the tournament I was completly positive about them but then I will also be on the negative side of things like Goku taking all the screen time.

I will remember 17, 18, Caulifla, Kale, Ribrianne and Goku for stealing screen time. Vegeta, Gohan, Frieza, Piccolo, Roshi, Tien and Krillin will not be.
Act like it, don't just tell me you're positive. And that isn't you being positive. You cheered for those characters because you liked them and you wanted them to shine. Just like I liked everyone you named, except Tien, and wanted them to do well. Basically, you got what you wanted, so you would be cheerful. When things didn't go your way, you become a brat. Being positive is being positive even when things don't go your way. A truly positive person would look at Piccolo's situation, be upset, said that they wanted more, and the moved on and hoped he gets better next time. Not scapegoat a bunch of characters who had nothing to do with it. Like CJStriker_CBR didn't go around and say the U6 Saiyans stole Rib's scene time, which would be a more justified statement.

So I guess you don't have an interview of these directions saying they're 'Android fanboys'.

No matter how much you say it, they didn't steal scene time from your favorites.
Last edited by HeroR on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Post Reply