Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:34 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Noah wrote:
That's not the only problem, if this Movie is after Future Trunks warning, Goku shouldn't have difficulty in turning into a SSJ, also for Broly movie, well they could mention the wait for the Cell Games and Goku, Gohan shouldn't be in their base forms.
I'd headcanon that as the early effects of the Heart Virus
But... the heart virus didn't even happen until the very day that the androids appeared. He can easily become a Super Saiyan when the heart virus is in full swing, too. Need I even mention that I'm pretty sure they would have mentioned something like that.

It's pretty far-fetched, the fact of the matter is that the movie logic just doesn't work, no matter how you try to rationalize.
We don't really know that much about the details of the Heart Virus, it could work in the most strange ways. Early stages fucking with Goku's Ki, making Super Saiyan harder to use, then he's able to train over it and the effect sees to dissappear for a while until the Androids arrive.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:38 am

Kanassa wrote:We don't really know that much about the details of the Heart Virus, it could work in the most strange ways. Early stages fucking with Goku's Ki, making Super Saiyan harder to use, then he's able to train over it and the effect sees to dissappear for a while until the Androids arrive.
Yeah, but that's clearly not the intent. Even if it were more ambiguous, it's still a massive stretch. It's counter-intuitive to the way viruses work, and we haven't been given any indication that this is a special uber-duber virus. It's just too big of a leap to call it reasonable.
Retired.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:57 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Kanassa wrote:We don't really know that much about the details of the Heart Virus, it could work in the most strange ways. Early stages fucking with Goku's Ki, making Super Saiyan harder to use, then he's able to train over it and the effect sees to dissappear for a while until the Androids arrive.
Yeah, but that's clearly not the intent.
When did I say it was?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:59 am

Kanassa wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Yeah, but that's clearly not the intent.
When did I say it was?
When was that the end of my post?
Retired.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:22 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Yeah, but that's clearly not the intent.
When did I say it was?
When was that the end of my post?
I was disagreeing with this specific part, I have no problems with your other statements other than that's why it's a 'headcannon'.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:25 am

Kanassa wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Kanassa wrote: When did I say it was?
When was that the end of my post?
I was disagreeing with this specific part, I have no problems with your other statements other than that's why it's a 'headcannon'.
That's fine, but my intent behind mentioning the intent tied in with the rest of the post.
Retired.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 18947
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: 🏳️‍⚧️🍉

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:22 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Gog wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Well, they already made Fem!Broly... I'd dig a fem!Cooler...
I want the idea of Fem Coola, it's just I'm afraid of them giving her boobs....
JulieYBM wrote:Art is aubjective but boobies are forever.
But for real, what is up with you and lewd things ?
What is it with you and liking a comic about people who use violence to resolve conflict enough that you would come to an internet message board to discuss and learn more about it? Art is art. If one is going to wear their appreciation for violent art on their sleeve I see no problem doing so with art that is about sexy and lewd love, especially given the fact that this is a forum dedicated to a guy perverse enough to say the sort of things he does in his interviews and draw unpunished sexual harassment in his comics.
💙💜💖 She/Her 💙💜💖
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Doctor. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Violence is good for the soul, sex is impure and should be purged from existence.

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8376
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Noah » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Doctor. wrote:... sex is impure and should be purged from existence.
So you don't like booty calls, eh?
乃亜

Dragon Ball: The Others Discussion Thread

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:02 pm

I prefer the name "Hercule" to "Mr. Satan". I think people defend it simply because it's the original name.

The Japanese use words like "devil", "satan", "God" (as in the one God) and other Christian terminology just because they look and sound cool or because they fit the themes of whatever pop-culture thing they're making, without realizing that to a Western audience, it has religious implications that can't be ignored.

I'm not religious so I'm not offended and don't care about anyone who is, and I know religion probably doesn't exist in the DB universe, but the idea that the champion of the world is called Mr. Satan and everyone, including children are cheering his name "SA-TAN! SA-TAN!" is just absurd to me. Sure it's funny, but I don't think that was the intention, and it takes me out of the moment. I realize "Hercule" also has religious origins, but it comes from one that's dead, and it's easier to accept that his name is based on a mythological hero rather than the lord of darkness and evil.

I'm not trying to censor anything, I just believe in localization. That's why I don't have a problem with "Krillin" versus "Kuririn".

User avatar
Gog
I Live Here
Posts: 4099
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:33 am
Location: Dio's World.

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:02 pm

DefinitiveDubs wrote:I prefer the name "Hercule" to "Mr. Satan". I think people defend it simply because it's the original name.

The Japanese use words like "devil", "satan", "God" (as in the one God) and other Christian terminology just because they look and sound cool or because they fit the themes of whatever pop-culture thing they're making, without realizing that to a Western audience, it has religious implications that can't be ignored.

I'm not religious so I'm not offended and don't care about anyone who is, and I know religion probably doesn't exist in the DB universe, but the idea that the champion of the world is called Mr. Satan and everyone, including children are cheering his name "SA-TAN! SA-TAN!" is just absurd to me. Sure it's funny, but I don't think that was the intention, and it takes me out of the moment. I realize "Hercule" also has religious origins, but it comes from one that's dead, and it's easier to accept that his name is based on a mythological hero rather than the lord of darkness and evil.

I'm not trying to censor anything, I just believe in localization. That's why I don't have a problem with "Krillin" versus "Kuririn".
I've always preferred Hercule over Mr Satan. There's just that ring to it that I've always preferred, which Mr Satan, the name always seemed to be lacking over it.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 18947
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: 🏳️‍⚧️🍉

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:16 pm

DefinitiveDubs wrote:I prefer the name "Hercule" to "Mr. Satan". I think people defend it simply because it's the original name.

The Japanese use words like "devil", "satan", "God" (as in the one God) and other Christian terminology just because they look and sound cool or because they fit the themes of whatever pop-culture thing they're making, without realizing that to a Western audience, it has religious implications that can't be ignored.

I'm not religious so I'm not offended and don't care about anyone who is, and I know religion probably doesn't exist in the DB universe, but the idea that the champion of the world is called Mr. Satan and everyone, including children are cheering his name "SA-TAN! SA-TAN!" is just absurd to me. Sure it's funny, but I don't think that was the intention, and it takes me out of the moment. I realize "Hercule" also has religious origins, but it comes from one that's dead, and it's easier to accept that his name is based on a mythological hero rather than the lord of darkness and evil.

I'm not trying to censor anything, I just believe in localization. That's why I don't have a problem with "Krillin" versus "Kuririn".
Toriyama is a pervert. He finds the irony of the people's champion being called 'Satan' hilarious. That some folks thousands of miles away should be insulted by that is entirely inconsequential, especially given an artist is not responsible for the actions people take. People decide how they conduct themselves and if they want to hurt others, either physically or artistically, that is on them. The religious west has got to learn to deal with their own insecurities and not enforce some sort of false 'majority rule'. 'Majority rule' has become--if it was not from inception--a manner for the minorities (not simply of creed, religion and race) of our world to be ceaselessly, needlessly and unjustly oppressed. Look at how many unnecessary things have been destroyed and condemned merely because someone else could not remove themselves from a situation.
💙💜💖 She/Her 💙💜💖
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3

User avatar
floofychan333
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1378
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:03 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:03 pm

Bojack is probably the best movie.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 3068
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:13 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Gog wrote:
I want the idea of Fem Coola, it's just I'm afraid of them giving her boobs....
JulieYBM wrote:Art is aubjective but boobies are forever.
But for real, what is up with you and lewd things ?
What is it with you and liking a comic about people who use violence to resolve conflict enough that you would come to an internet message board to discuss and learn more about it? Art is art. If one is going to wear their appreciation for violent art on their sleeve I see no problem doing so with art that is about sexy and lewd love, especially given the fact that this is a forum dedicated to a guy perverse enough to say the sort of things he does in his interviews and draw unpunished sexual harassment in his comics.
Hey man, I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to Gog.
She/Her

User avatar
Gog
I Live Here
Posts: 4099
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:33 am
Location: Dio's World.

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:15 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
But for real, what is up with you and lewd things ?
What is it with you and liking a comic about people who use violence to resolve conflict enough that you would come to an internet message board to discuss and learn more about it? Art is art. If one is going to wear their appreciation for violent art on their sleeve I see no problem doing so with art that is about sexy and lewd love, especially given the fact that this is a forum dedicated to a guy perverse enough to say the sort of things he does in his interviews and draw unpunished sexual harassment in his comics.
Hey man, I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to Gog.
What were you referring to me about?

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 3068
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Gog wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
What is it with you and liking a comic about people who use violence to resolve conflict enough that you would come to an internet message board to discuss and learn more about it? Art is art. If one is going to wear their appreciation for violent art on their sleeve I see no problem doing so with art that is about sexy and lewd love, especially given the fact that this is a forum dedicated to a guy perverse enough to say the sort of things he does in his interviews and draw unpunished sexual harassment in his comics.
Hey man, I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to Gog.
What were you referring to me about?
'I want the idea of Fem Coola, it's just I'm afraid of them giving her boobs...."
That.
She/Her

User avatar
Gog
I Live Here
Posts: 4099
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:33 am
Location: Dio's World.

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Gog wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: Hey man, I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to Gog.
What were you referring to me about?
'I want the idea of Fem Coola, it's just I'm afraid of them giving her boobs...."
That.
Biology has ruined the concept of boobs for me... Also they just look off on the race

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by kinisking » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:38 pm

DefinitiveDubs wrote:I prefer the name "Hercule" to "Mr. Satan". I think people defend it simply because it's the original name.

The Japanese use words like "devil", "satan", "God" (as in the one God) and other Christian terminology just because they look and sound cool or because they fit the themes of whatever pop-culture thing they're making, without realizing that to a Western audience, it has religious implications that can't be ignored.

I'm not religious so I'm not offended and don't care about anyone who is, and I know religion probably doesn't exist in the DB universe, but the idea that the champion of the world is called Mr. Satan and everyone, including children are cheering his name "SA-TAN! SA-TAN!" is just absurd to me. Sure it's funny, but I don't think that was the intention, and it takes me out of the moment. I realize "Hercule" also has religious origins, but it comes from one that's dead, and it's easier to accept that his name is based on a mythological hero rather than the lord of darkness and evil.

I'm not trying to censor anything, I just believe in localization. That's why I don't have a problem with "Krillin" versus "Kuririn".
Knowing Toriyama he knew exactly what he was doing when he called him Satan. He probably thinks the idea of them screaming Satan is hilarious.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5745
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:04 pm

Gog wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Gog wrote:
What were you referring to me about?
'I want the idea of Fem Coola, it's just I'm afraid of them giving her boobs...."
That.
Biology has ruined the concept of boobs for me... Also they just look off on the race
Um, what?

User avatar
Gog
I Live Here
Posts: 4099
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:33 am
Location: Dio's World.

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Gog wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: 'I want the idea of Fem Coola, it's just I'm afraid of them giving her boobs...."
That.
Biology has ruined the concept of boobs for me on reptillians ... Also they just look off on the race
Um, what?
sorry for not specifying

Post Reply