"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:29 pm

In order to make sure he can return to the same Parallel World he created last time, Trunks keeps the settings of the time machine the same as the last time he used it...since Bluma is no longer around to tinker with it anymore. Thus explaining why he chose to go back 17 years again.
Yay! An explanation!
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:35 pm

If there's one thing I love about Toyotaro, is that he delivers proper explanations to things Toei failed to do.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:35 pm

Having the fire and gas meet to illuminate blacks face was straight genius. I still like the animes interpretation more though
Last edited by kinisking on Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:37 pm

Damn, its almost embarrassing how much better the manga is.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:38 pm

In order to make sure he can return to the same Parallel World he created last time, Trunks keeps the settings of the time machine the same as the last time he used it...since Bluma is no longer around to tinker with it anymore. Thus explaining why he chose to go back 17 years again.
Funny considering he is not the one who split it but Cell. But well, he could still have the same route.
dbgtFO wrote:
Sandubadear wrote:
Yay! An explanation!
I agree with this sentiment. I really like these little details Toyotaro adds, because it's exactly the kind of stuff I would want addressed, if I was writing it!
So good to have a DB fanboy getting to make his own take on the story.

He should have paid more attention though. There was a clash of two paradoxical states long before Trunks appeared: Cell appeared and Cell did not appear. That caused a timeline split as those two states cannot co-exist in one place at the same time.
Last edited by Cetra on Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:40 pm

Sandubadear wrote:
Yay! An explanation!
I agree with this sentiment. I really like these little details Toyotaro adds, because it's exactly the kind of stuff I would want addressed, if I was writing it!

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:41 pm

saiyanvegetable wrote:Damn, its almost embarrassing how much better the manga is.
. I think you are forgetting just how awesome episode 47 was. Trunks had some cool sword moments before his reveal, bulma died on screen, vegeta had a small fight with whis, the music was top notch and his reveal in the anime was better too. What exactly makes the manga better?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Post by neolux » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:43 pm

kinisking wrote: I think you are forgetting just how awesome episode 47 was. Trunks had some cool sword moments before his reveal, bulma died on screen, vegeta had a small fight with whis, the music was top notch and his reveal in the anime was better too. What exactly makes the manga better?
TRUE

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:47 pm

neolux wrote:
kinisking wrote: I think you are forgetting just how awesome episode 47 was. Trunks had some cool sword moments before his reveal, bulma died on screen, vegeta had a small fight with whis, the music was top notch and his reveal in the anime was better too. What exactly makes the manga better?
TRUE
I don't mind thinking the manga is better than the anime even though I disagree but way better?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:52 pm

The manga is very good as well as the anime. I just wished the two were more similar, just because I would like to see Toyotaro's take animated, but also I really liked how they handled Black in the anime and I don't like the fact Toyotaro hasn't shown Bulma's death.
I also loved the newspaper bit of N17 and N18's death anniversary.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:53 pm

Cetra wrote:
Funny considering he is not the one who split it but Cell. But well, he could still have the same route.
Technically Trunks still did, since he was the "first" person to time travel, just not "this" Trunks. If the original Trunks hadn't time traveled, he wouldn't have destroyed the androids, Cell wouldn't have killed him and met another Trunks in the past.
dbgtFO wrote:I agree with this sentiment. I really like these little details Toyotaro adds, because it's exactly the kind of stuff I would want addressed, if I was writing it!
He should have paid more attention though. There was a clash of two paradoxical states long before Trunks appeared: Cell appeared and Cell did not appear. That caused a timeline split as those two states cannot co-exist in one place at the same time.
They don't exist in the same time, it's a different timeline, as well. That's why he doesn't mess up with the settings so he would travel to the same timeline he went before. I guess that also explains how they'll go to Trunks' timeline using Cell's time machine: Bulma is there to configure it correctly.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:56 pm

I love these explanations, great work from Toyotaro. I'm sure he got a lot of help from Toriyama to explain those things. Why Toei isn't doing the same?? :cry:

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:02 pm

I am sorry but you do not understand.

It does not matter if "another Trunks" came once before to fight the Cyborgs. It is relevant when you arrive. Trunks arrives years after Cell. If "Alternate Trunks 2" also the first time appeared the same year the guys fought Freeza, then fine, but if this Trunks also just appear years later, then Cell is the one who arrived earlier.

Also,

This "different timeline" is just exactly existent because of what I just said. Because they "cannot exist in the same time and place". And that is what causes a split. Only that is the cause of the branch starting to exist. A simple "if" question. if (this) -> a, if (!this) -> b. It is the axiom of two paradoxical states not being possible at the same time/place. Without that, no different timeline. Basically you are trying to contradict what I say by mentioning something that only is there because of what I explained made it exist. And I have not even brought the flaws of multiverse-theory into this, because I think I should just leave it at that. But yeah. Why is it a different timeline? Because two states that contradict each other cannot exist on the same timeline, forcing a split.
Last edited by Cetra on Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:03 pm

In regards to the bit about the "parallel world he created", that's just me trying to condense things due to Twitter's character limit before collecting them to show off here. Trunks doesn't directly say "I created that parallel world". All he mentions is that he wants to get back to the same parallel world, which prompts Mai to ask if he used the time machine to defeat the artificial humans. He says that he did and it all resulted in a parallel world where "father and everyone" survived, which is true. From his perspective, he set the events in motion, regardless of Cell causing that specific split.

Another thing to note, this revelation that the time machine is still set to 17 years in the past, that means the trip Trunks' trip in AGE 788 to tell everyone he defeated the artificial humans (and Cell moments before) should have resulted in him arriving in AGE 771, rather than closer to Cell's defeat in the present during AGE 767...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:07 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: Another thing to note, this revelation that the time machine is still set to 17 years in the past, that means the trip Trunks' trip in AGE 788 to tell everyone he defeated the artificial humans (and Cell moments before) should have resulted in him arriving in AGE 771, rather than closer to Cell's defeat in the present during AGE 767...
What are you getting at? I don't see anything wrong with this :eh:
You're alluding to the Bojack movie perhaps and how this invalidates it?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:10 pm

dbgtFO wrote:What are you getting at? I don't see anything wrong with this :eh:
I'm not getting at anything. Prior to this, regardless of the Bojack movie, I always assumed he would have went back shortly after Cell's defeat. It's just something interesting to note that he showed up a decent amount later (according to the manga, at least).
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:10 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote: Another thing to note, this revelation that the time machine is still set to 17 years in the past, that means the trip Trunks' trip in AGE 788 to tell everyone he defeated the artificial humans (and Cell moments before) should have resulted in him arriving in AGE 771, rather than closer to Cell's defeat in the present during AGE 767...
What are you getting at? I don't see anything wrong with this :eh:
I think he is referring to that Toyble confused stuff even more.
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
I'm not getting at anything. Prior to this, regardless of the Bojack movie, I always assumed he would have went back shortly after Cell's defeat. It's just something interesting to note that he showed up a decent amount later (according to the manga, at least).

Well, the story made it look like that.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:16 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Did the manga ever have him coming back?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:17 pm

kinisking wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Basically he readied his Hope to visit them and then fought Cell.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:19 pm

Cetra wrote:
kinisking wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote: I'm not getting at anything. Prior to this, regardless of the Bojack movie, I always assumed he would have went back shortly after Cell's defeat. It's just something interesting to note that he showed up a decent amount later (according to the manga, at least).
Basically he readied his Hope to visit them and then fought Cell.
Interesting. Then he already knows about Goten and potentially 18 marrying krilen too.