"DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.
User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7000
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: The Martial Arts World

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by Kendamu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 am

When watching the show, I can generally make it through without a second thought because I'm used to Schemmel's Kaiou. However, I would have loved it if his voice got a makeover as well.

User avatar
batistabus
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: DBS:SH

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by batistabus » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:07 am

Kendamu wrote:When watching the show, I can generally make it through without a second thought because I'm used to Schemmel's Kaiou. However, I would have loved it if his voice got a makeover as well.
Basically, this.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:13 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:P.S. Don't get me wrong guys, I also like his Japanese voice. It's just that I'm tired of all this dub Kaiō bashing, when I don't see anything wrong with his voice.
Well, you don't see anything wrong. See my above comments about "painful to listen to," "sounds mentally handicapped," "doesn't appropriately portray the character." I swear I'm not just saying these things to annoy you. :D
All subjective, mate.


Kaiō is still a wise and smart person in dub, just with a goofy voice.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6141
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:18 am

Well, of course it is. I just argued I'm not doing it to annoy you, but because I really subjectively mean it and have legitimate reasons to back it up. So the so-called "bitching" isn't just unjustified.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 9/28/26!)
Current Episode: The Failure of Frost - Dragon Ball Dissection: The God of Destruction Champa Arc Part 3 (Manga)

User avatar
jjgp1112
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7835
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Crooklyn

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:54 am

I think both King Kai's JP and English voices are too one-dimensional. They both capture the opposite sides of his personality, but that's it. Although I think the English one would work better if it just had better direction. King Kai isn't exactly the most serious person.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

User avatar
Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5153
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: The Crossroads

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by Big Momma » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:11 am

Am I the only one who thinks Kaio's Japanese voice is a little wacky, too? I mean...it's not as over-the-top as Schemmel's version (Which I don't mind, either), but I can definitely feel some "funny" coming out of it. Or, more-so, I wouldn't imagine a voice like that having a job like overseeing my galaxy.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7000
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: The Martial Arts World

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by Kendamu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:24 am

Big Momma wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Kaio's Japanese voice is a little wacky, too? I mean...it's not as over-the-top as Schemmel's version (Which I don't mind, either), but I can definitely feel some "funny" coming out of it. Or, more-so, I wouldn't imagine a voice like that having a job like overseeing my galaxy.
I definitely hear it. It's not the voice itself but the way he actually talks. He sounds like a nice old guy who is trying to tell corny jokes (that only children find funny) to a group of teenagers and they're just not buying it. It's so great! As often as possible, his sentences start off with him sounding majestic and benevolent but it's like his tone cracks and he irresistibly finishes it with a pun! It's a great mix!

User avatar
Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:24 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by Mountain » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:50 am

I like the Japanese Kaiō, but the dub voice doesn't have to sound like it to be good. I'm okay with different interpretations as long as they don't annoy me and/or take me completely out of the show. Schemmel's Kaiō really is painful to listen to, personally. I'm not a huge fan of most of the cast, but they don't bug me that badly. The only voices that do are Yajirobe, Gyū Maō, and Kaiō. :shock:
♥♥♥♥♥
www.KristaMichaels.com

User avatar
linkdude20002001
I Live Here
Posts: 2613
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:38 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:All subjective, mate.

Kaiō is still a wise and smart person in dub, just with a goofy voice.
"Painful to listen to" may be subjective, but "doesn't appropriately portray the character" is quite an accurate description. Both the script and the way he talks make the character into someone else; it's very upsetting. He's supposed to be a "wise and smart person", but the dub makes him sound like a fool (and I don't mean just the voice). He keeps "forgetting" very important things and saying an uninterested "Oh yeah..." when he suddenly remembers. None of this should be present, but if it's only this one character that's messed up so badly, I can live with it. But it's still annoying to sit through.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:46 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:All subjective, mate.

Kaiō is still a wise and smart person in dub, just with a goofy voice.
"Painful to listen to" may be subjective, but "doesn't appropriately portray the character" is quite an accurate description. Both the script and the way he talks make the character into someone else; it's very upsetting. He's supposed to be a "wise and smart person", but the dub makes him sound like a fool (and I don't mean just the voice). He keeps "forgetting" very important things and saying an uninterested "Oh yeah..." when he suddenly remembers. None of this should be present, but if it's only this one character that's messed up so badly, I can live with it. But it's still annoying to sit through.
I think the dub accurately portrays the character, so it is in fact subjective. The fact still remains that Kaiō is a goofy looking person who likes to tell jokes, and the dub portrays this.

User avatar
linkdude20002001
I Live Here
Posts: 2613
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:39 am

No, they're changing what he says. That's not portraying him accurately. It's not even the voice's fault; it's the fault of whoever's in charge of of the script and direction. Even if they had Jouji Yanami voice him, Kaioh would still feel out of character.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:49 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:No, they're changing what he says. That's not portraying him accurately. It's not even the voice's fault; it's the fault of whoever's in charge of of the script and direction. Even if they had Jouji Yanami voice him, Kaioh would still feel out of character.
Oh, you're talking about the script. Then yes, I agree with you. Obviously in Uncut Kai, this won't be a problem. Voice wise he was portrayed accurately in the dub, I'm saying. There is more than one way a character can be portrayed and still be accurate; it doesn't always have to be like the Japanese version.

User avatar
Mewzard
I Live Here
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by Mewzard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:54 am

This is why the wait for the DVDs are bad right now. We don't know what's edited dialog and what's going to stick in both versions yet.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

User avatar
linkdude20002001
I Live Here
Posts: 2613
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:33 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Obviously in Uncut Kai, this won't be a problem.
I truly hope so. But I doubt it... :cry:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Voice wise he was portrayed accurately in the dub, I'm saying. There is more than one way a character can be portrayed and still be accurate; it doesn't always have to be like the Japanese version.
Still, do you really think that's the kind of voice Toriyama had in mind? I can imagine maybe he had a voice like Dave Ward's Kaioh in mind, but Schemmėl's Kaioh is way too... "special".
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:30 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Still, do you really think that's the kind of voice Toriyama had in mind? I can imagine maybe he had a voice like Dave Ward's Kaioh in mind, but Schemmėl's Kaioh is way too... "special".
I actually don't know if that's the voice Toriyama had in mind. It could go either way, really. I'm sure people in Japan reading the Manga before watching the Anime would've pictured Kaiō with a voice similar to that of the dub.

User avatar
batistabus
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: DBS:SH

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by batistabus » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:58 am

Mountain wrote:I like the Japanese Kaiō, but the dub voice doesn't have to sound like it to be good. I'm okay with different interpretations as long as they don't annoy me and/or take me completely out of the show. Schemmel's Kaiō really is painful to listen to, personally. I'm not a huge fan of most of the cast, but they don't bug me that badly. The only voices that do are Yajirobe, Gyū Maō, and Kaiō. :shock:
I've never been a fan of Japanese Yajirobe. The voice is ridiculous in both cases, just on the opposite ends of the pitch spectrum.

User avatar
B
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5563
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am
Contact:

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by B » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:22 am

What is wrong with Tanaka's Yajirobe? Ignoring Kai.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

User avatar
jjgp1112
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7835
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Crooklyn

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:38 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:All subjective, mate.

Kaiō is still a wise and smart person in dub, just with a goofy voice.
"Painful to listen to" may be subjective, but "doesn't appropriately portray the character" is quite an accurate description. Both the script and the way he talks make the character into someone else; it's very upsetting. He's supposed to be a "wise and smart person", but the dub makes him sound like a fool (and I don't mean just the voice). He keeps "forgetting" very important things and saying an uninterested "Oh yeah..." when he suddenly remembers. None of this should be present, but if it's only this one character that's messed up so badly, I can live with it. But it's still annoying to sit through.
Umm...remember how he had no idea what was going on on Earth during the Cell Games in the manga and Japanese version and Goku had to yell at him to get him off of his lazy ass? I do.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

User avatar
batistabus
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: DBS:SH

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by batistabus » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:53 am

B wrote:What is wrong with Tanaka's Yajirobe? Ignoring Kai.
Well all I've heard is the Kai voice. Do you have a link to the original?
As for Kai, it's just a ridiculous shrill "character" voice and I don't think it's by any means great.

User avatar
MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:11 am

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:18 pm

batistabus wrote:
B wrote:What is wrong with Tanaka's Yajirobe? Ignoring Kai.
Well all I've heard is the Kai voice. Do you have a link to the original?
As for Kai, it's just a ridiculous shrill "character" voice and I don't think it's by any means great.
Agreed, it's no where near as memorable as her performance and voice for Kuririn. I don't see how anyone could have issues with the English voice for Yajirobe, it hits all the same beats of wackiness of the original. It's just dare I say more suited for the character than Tanaka's version.

Post Reply