Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Doctor. » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:16 pm

Ultimate Tenkaichi's version of ultimate Gohan's goodbye to Goku is the best version of this moment.
Noah wrote:The best end for Dragon Ball would be the Freeza arc, but with everyone in King Kai's Planet staying dead, Piccolo and Vegeta too, Goku killed by the explosion of Namek (Freeza was ultimately defeated), Gohan and Bulma the only ones who have succeeded in surving this climatic battle with the two sets of Dragon Balls permanently erased from existence.
I don't think making Dragon Ball a greek tragedy would sit well with young readers.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Noah wrote:The best end for Dragon Ball would be the Freeza arc, but with everyone in King Kai's Planet staying dead, Piccolo and Vegeta too, Goku killed by the explosion of Namek (Freeza was ultimately defeated), Gohan and Bulma the only ones who have succeeded in surving this climatic battle with the two sets of Dragon Balls permanently erased from existence.
I don't think making Dragon Ball a greek tragedy would sit well with young readers.
Can I have permission to make that my signature?

On another note, I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I like Sonny Strait's Krillin a lot more than Terry Klassen's portrayal of the character. I don't know why. Some characters I like both the Ocean and Funi voices, like Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo. For whatever reason Krillin is not one of them.
Last edited by Danfun64 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:30 pm

Doctor. wrote:Ultimate Tenkaichi's version of ultimate Gohan's goodbye to Goku is the best version of this moment.
I definitely get the most feeling from it. Mainly from the music. I wish we had gotten Takaki to do the music in Super. Your reasons?
Danfun64 wrote: On another note, I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I like Sonny Strait's Krillin a lot more than Terry Klassen's portrayal of the character. I don't know why. Some characters I like both the Ocean and Funi voices, like Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo. For whatever reason Krillin is not one of them.
Nah, I definitely wouldn't consider an unpopular in the North American fan base. Most people I've seen love Strait's Krillin.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:31 pm

Doctor. wrote:Ultimate Tenkaichi's version of ultimate Gohan's goodbye to Goku is the best version of this moment.
Nah, the manga will always be better, love how there had a mutual hug. Didn't like it how odd in the anime they made Goku not hugging back.
But would be touchable and unlike anything we saw until nowadays in shounen, but probably not as popular as is today.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:33 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Can I have permission to make that my signature?
Feel free.
Bansho64 wrote:I definitely get the most feeling from it. Mainly from the music. I wish we had gotten Takaki to do the music in Super. Your reasons?
Definitely Takaki's OST, but I also feel the voicework from Nozawa is the best in this version, compared to her performance in Z and Kai.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:38 pm

Doctor. wrote: Definitely Takaki's OST, but I also feel the voicework from Nozawa is the best in this version, compared to her performance in Z and Kai.
Yeah, she ain't half bad in it. Pretty good IMO. The differentiates the voices pretty nicely and have Gohan a good scream.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:45 pm

But would be touchable and unlike anything we saw until nowadays in shounen, but probably not as popular as is today.
But not consistent with Dragon Ball.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:Definitely Takaki's OST, but I also feel the voicework from Nozawa is the best in this version, compared to her performance in Z and Kai.
What's the track called when Gohan gets Goku's gi?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:49 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Definitely Takaki's OST, but I also feel the voicework from Nozawa is the best in this version, compared to her performance in Z and Kai.
What's the track called when Gohan gets Goku's gi?
I don't think they ever released the cutscene OST, unfortunately. Only the game OST.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:00 pm

ABED wrote:But not consistent with Dragon Ball.
How so? This series changed it's tone in the very Piccolo Daimao arc, and now it Freeza a much much bigger threat, I don't see how it wouldn't be possible to end that way.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Noah wrote:
ABED wrote:But not consistent with Dragon Ball.
How so? This series changed it's tone in the very Piccolo Daimao arc, and now it Freeza a much much bigger threat, I don't see how it wouldn't be possible to end that way.
But it's still a fairly light hearted show. Ending with nearly everyone including the hero dying isn't consistent with the world he set up. Even at its most dire, it's still a show that could make you laugh. Goku being killed essentially by the villain in a less than heroic fashion isn't Dragon Ball. Having all those characters die feels almost nihilistic which is so not Dragon Ball.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:26 pm

ABED wrote:Goku being killed essentially by the villain in a less than heroic fashion isn't Dragon Ball. Having all those characters die feels almost nihilistic which is so not Dragon Ball.
Well Goku would be killed because he could not manage to escape after defeating Freeza, wouldn't be a heart-breaking scene the character we saw as a kid since the first volume, his growth, all the obstacles he had overcome, running desperately trying to find a way to survive and in the end being incapable of doing so as his last words while looking to the whole planet collapses "DAMN IT"?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Noah wrote:
ABED wrote:Goku being killed essentially by the villain in a less than heroic fashion isn't Dragon Ball. Having all those characters die feels almost nihilistic which is so not Dragon Ball.
Well Goku would be killed because he could not manage to escape after defeating Freeza, wouldn't be a heart-breaking scene the character we saw as a kid since the first volume, his growth, all the obstacles he had overcome, running desperately trying to find a way to survive and in the end being incapable of doing so as his last words while looking to the whole planet collapses "DAMN IT"?
Tonally it wouldn't fit with the rest of the series but I really like Goku biting the dust because, even after everything Freeza did, he couldn't let a good fight opportunity pass him by. Kind of like how Freeza would've lived and spared himself a lot of grief if he also just let things go and accepted the two chances Goku gave him to piss off.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Noah wrote:
Would it be heartbreaking? Maybe, but that doesn't mean I want to see it end that way. Goku deserves better than to be killed by Freeza.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:39 pm

ABED wrote:Goku deserves better than to be killed by Freeza.
But you talk like he didn't killed Freeza first (considering his angry blast was enough to finish him), we could pretty much say it ended as a draw :D
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:40 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Tonally it wouldn't fit with the rest of the series but I really like Goku biting the dust because, even after everything Freeza did, he couldn't let a good fight opportunity pass him by. Kind of like how Freeza would've lived and spared himself a lot of grief if he also just let things go and accepted the two chances Goku gave him to piss off.
It would really be a greek tragedy. Goku's own flaws led to his downfall.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Noah wrote:
ABED wrote:Goku deserves better than to be killed by Freeza.
But you talk like he didn't killed Freeza first (considering his angry blast was enough to finish him), we could pretty much say it ended as a draw :D
But in a not so heroic manner.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:24 pm

I deeply resented the fact that Goku and Vegeta fought again in the Majin Boo arc. I don't think Goku and Vegeta should have fought again seriously after their first scuffle in the Saiyan arc. It doesn't help that their rematch is quite underwhelming. Especially in the manga.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I don't think Goku and Vegeta should have fought again seriously after their first scuffle in the Saiyan arc.
Why's that? I thought the rematch was a bit corny (and for some reason, almost non-existent in the manga), but it worked well enough for what it was. It also made for great characterization of Vegeta.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: It doesn't help that their rematch is quite underwhelming. Especially in the manga.
That anime was awesome IMO. There are other cool parts, but I consider that one the best.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.