"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:34 pm

Pretty disappointed we didn't get anything, but at the same time, I wasn't expecting much because nothing was guaranteed. I just hope we get any type or sort of random announcement in January or something, kind of like what happened to Kitaro (announced on Jan 2018, premiered April 2018).

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:34 pm

Good news! It has been confirmed that the World Trigger anime will be aired on TV Asahi, NOT on Fuji TV.
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/wt/news/2019122101.html

On the other hand, Dragon Quest: Dai no Daiboken Remake has not yet confirmed its broadcast channel. The original series was aired on the TBS channel, not on Fuji TV. Coincidentally the original series also premiered in the fall.

On the other hand, Kitaro has not increased the number of chapters confirmed in the Box for months and everything indicates that it will end in March with total security.

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/kitaro/goods/dvdbl.php

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s?k=%E3%82%B2% ... -desc-rank

That is, World Trigger and Dragon Quest: Dai no Daiboken will NOT replace Kitaro in April on Fuji TV. So, which Toei Animation series is going to air there? :think:

Conclusion, none of the 2 series has taken the schedule to a return of Super.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:55 am

Nanatsu88 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:34 pm Good news! It has been confirmed that the World Trigger anime will be aired on TV Asahi, NOT on Fuji TV.

On the other hand, Dragon Quest: Dai no Daiboken Remake has not yet confirmed its broadcast channel. The original series was aired on the TBS channel, not on Fuji TV. Coincidentally the original series also premiered in the fall.

On the other hand, Kitaro has not increased the number of chapters confirmed in the Box for months and everything indicates that it will end in March with total security.

That is, World Trigger and Dragon Quest: Dai no Daiboken will NOT replace Kitaro in April on Fuji TV. So, which Toei Animation series is going to air there? :think:

Wasn't there another show that was announced at Jump Festa? Jujutsu Kaisen? This one has little material to adapt and could very well fill in the space between Kitaro and DQ.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:24 am

Michsi wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:55 am
Nanatsu88 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:34 pm Good news! It has been confirmed that the World Trigger anime will be aired on TV Asahi, NOT on Fuji TV.

Wasn't there another show that was announced at Jump Festa? Jujutsu Kaisen? This one has little material to adapt and could very well fill in the space between Kitaro and DQ.
That series is MAPPA, so it won't take the Sunday slot.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:28 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:24 am

I see, so those early Sunday slots are reserved for Toei exclusively?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:30 am

Michsi wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:28 am

It's been that way for over a decade.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:46 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:30 am

Thanks for the info. Guess that means we'll have to wait until February (?) to find out. I generally don't think there's a series in production anymore, however. The movie is evidently not coming out this year either evidently.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:16 am

Michsi wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:46 am

Thanks for the info. Guess that means we'll have to wait until February (?) to find out. I generally don't think there's a series in production anymore, however. The movie is evidently not coming out this year either evidently.
That would also be asking a bit much, since there are less than 8 days left :wink:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:44 am

dbgtFO wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:16 am
Michsi wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:46 am

That would also be asking a bit much, since there are less than 8 days left :wink:
D'oH! I keep forgetting it's not 2020 yet.

Sykin

Post by Sykin » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:15 am

Yeah, to be honest I’m just gonna hold out hope for Super 2 until we get confirmation of what’s going to fill that time-slot. Otherwise I think any other continuation of the TV series is a few years out at the very least.

Toriyama did voice some concerns about the production of Super early on, no? Judging by an earlier post on this thread stating that they care about what Toriyama wants, I almost wonder if that’s what happened here. I could genuinely see Toriyama telling Toei to hold out for awhile so that he could help Toyotaro out with the manga. It might actually just be as simple as Toriyama wanting the manga to continue for a bit so that Toei can just adapt a manga later on for a smoother production. Keep in mind Toriyama just gave general outlines to both Toyotaro and Toei for DBS and now he’s much more hands on with the Moro arc from what I understand. Idk we’ll see.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:28 am

Since March 1999, starting with Digimon Adventure, the 9am Fuji TV anime slot on Sunday mornings have always been produced by Toei Animation.

I still think we need to wait and see what replaces Kitaro.
I wouldn't assume DQ simply goes in at 9 in the fall, the original series was broadcast by TBS, so it's not a given - I expect it may join the Noitamina block with S2 of The Promised Neverland.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:07 am

Lol imagine my shock.

I have said it for months now DBS doesn't need to return on air. Right now they are making more off DBS then when it was ACTUALLY airing. So why air the show and incur production costs?

The franchise isn't aimed at kids anymore no matter how much Toei say so, it doesn't need to be on air to make DB stay relevant.

What I am saying is if DBS does ever return it will be because of a creative decision rather than a financial one. No rush for new material, they have an established fan base that isn't going anywhere.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:41 am

I'm fine with Super being off the air for a while. I still think at some point it will return, if only to adapt Moro and other arcs that may come in the manga. Wish they would do it seasonal whenever those arcs get animated. I'd love to see Dragon Ball looking better on TV than it ever has.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:00 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:41 am I'm fine with Super being off the air for a while. I still think at some point it will return, if only to adapt Moro and other arcs that may come in the manga.

If we get a new movie in 2021 that happens within the continuity after the Moro arc ... You think they are gonna adapt the Moro-arc in anime format after that? I don't think so.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:03 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:07 am

I have said it for months now DBS doesn't need to return on air. Right now they are making more off DBS then when it was ACTUALLY airing. So why air the show and incur production costs?

Bullseye. TOEI are basically using the revenues from DB as a tentpole to invest in other anime that are important for their Japanese market.
If you are a fan of anime in general and you want more diversity that's great. Because you are getting Dragon Quest fe (our hero Shida is stated to have a hand in that trailer), World Trigger, new good-looking One Piece-material ... But as a fan of DB that isn't invested in other anime at least not the other anime that TOEI produces, that kinda sucks (not counting the guys here that are fan of DB but don't want the anime back, they exist and all respect for their opinion, but i presume they are not a majority of the fanbase).

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:07 am Lol imagine my shock.

The franchise isn't aimed at kids anymore no matter how much Toei say so, it doesn't need to be on air to make DB stay relevant.

What I am saying is if DBS does ever return it will be because of a creative decision rather than a financial one. No rush for new material, they have an established fan base that isn't going anywhere.
What I find funny is that this "when's DBS 2 gonna be announced" dance helps keep fans on their toes with their attention directed towards DB in general which in turn helps bring in revenue. :lol: Usually most people would've moved on by now- it's been two years after all- but the DB fandom is as active as ever
Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:00 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:41 am I'm fine with Super being off the air for a while. I still think at some point it will return, if only to adapt Moro and other arcs that may come in the manga.

If we get a new movie in 2021 that happens within the continuity after the Moro arc ... You think they are gonna adapt the Moro-arc in anime format after that? I don't think so.
I keep thinking.....what if the movie IS the Moro story ? Even if it's been almost two years ...the arc is not plot heavy and it could very well fit into the movie format.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Michsi wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:19 pm

I keep thinking.....what if the movie IS the Moro story ? Even if it's been almost two years ...the arc is not plot heavy and it could very well fit into the movie format.

It's not entirely impossible theoretically, Toriyama however would have to rewrite the plot to make it fit in a movie.
But ... Wouldn't they want to surprise the fanbase with something "new" after years without animated content?
I mean .. they already have over-stretched the story big time in the manga, who is still going to be impressed by Moro in 2021?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:40 pm

It's not entirely impossible theoretically, Toriyama however would have to rewrite the plot to make it fit in a movie.
But ... Wouldn't they want to surprise the fanbase with something "new" after years without animated content?
I mean .. they already have over-stretched the story big time in the manga, who is still going to be impressed by Moro in 2021?
I actually don't think there's a lot to rewrite. The whole first act could be the attack on Namek which could be like half an hour- the middle arc is the training/attack on earth- and the final act whatever happens next in the manga. Same basic idea, same beats.

Does anybody know how the Moro arc is generally seen in by the fandom in Japan?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:01 pm

Michsi wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:51 pm

I actually don't think there's a lot to rewrite. The whole first act could be the attack on Namek which could be like half an hour- the middle arc is the training/attack on earth- and the final act whatever happens next in the manga. Same basic idea, same beats.

I don't know. If i have two wait for two years in total to get some more animated content in the canon storyline after Broly ... something different than Moro would feel kinda fresh at the tongue.

Btw you can't actually fit the manga content right away in a movie, you will substantially have to rewrite stuff. It would be otherwise impossible to make it fit. I agree it would be easier to fit the Moro arc in a movie than let's say the Zamasu arc, but rewriting will be needed anyway.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:01 pm
Michsi wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:51 pm

No thx. If i have two wait for two years in total to get some more animated content in the canon storyline after Broly ... don't give me Moro, give me something brand new please.

Btw you can't actually fit the manga content right away in a movie, you will substantially have to rewrite stuff. It would be otherwise impossible to make it fit. I agree it would be easier to fit the Moro arc in a movie than let's say the Zamasu arc, but rewriting will be needed anyway.
Well, yes, some degree of rewriting would take place, but nothing major. The arc seems to be neatly split in acts like a movie would be, so it was just a thought. The reason why I asked about the arc's reception in Japan is because that might determine if this story is getting adapter or not. The writers could very well use the manga as a test run and if reception is underwhelming they could go back to Toriyama and ask for another story- just brain storming here.