General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:41 pm

Does it make more sense for Trunks to cause a split in the timeline the moment he arrives? His actions in the past make Black's existence impossible so the timeline should logically split again due to these various effects the same way it does for him killing Freeza & Cold and saving Goku.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:43 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Does it make more sense for Trunks to cause a split in the timeline the moment he arrives? His actions in the past make Black's existence impossible so the timeline should logically split again due to these various effects the same way it does for him killing Freeza & Cold and saving Goku.
By Dragonball rules, Trunks arriving would cause a split, because no matter how small, it is a change. Though you could explain this in that either small changes don't cause a split, or that as long as Trunk keeps the same settings on the time machine, he's not altering time; simply visiting another world.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Does it make more sense for Trunks to cause a split in the timeline the moment he arrives? His actions in the past make Black's existence impossible so the timeline should logically split again due to these various effects the same way it does for him killing Freeza & Cold and saving Goku.
By Dragonball rules, Trunks arriving would cause a split, because no matter how small, it is a change. Though you could explain this in that either small changes don't cause a split, or that as long as Trunk keeps the same settings on the time machine, he's not altering time; simply visiting another world.
That is the tricky part with all of this. Cell apparently creates the main timeline just by going back to it (cause burying himself underground is apparently enough to change things) but then you've got Trunks doing major changes too by directly involving himself in events that didn't have him there originally.
For the arc proper, Toei seem to go by the idea you need to make a big change to cause a split in the timeline IE Beerus killing Zamasu retroactively inventing a new timeline that serves as Black's backstory where Trunks never appeared.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

RisanF
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RisanF » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:33 pm

Special Education

This is a sequel to my Goku/Arale fanfic, "From Penguin Village with Love", and involves Goku taking Arale to Kame House for training. Arale doesn't need much help in the way of strength, but the Turtle Hermit ends up having a hard time getting her to concentrate on anything. Meanwhile, Chi-Chi and Arale's friend Obotchaman are traveling the desert, and run into Yamcha, who has returned to his Desert Bandit ways. In an effort to win back Bulma after breaking up, he seeks the ways of the Byronic Hero to emulate the heroes from tacky romance novels.

Here's a scene with Kuririn and Arale:

The hallway was a bullet chamber, and Kuririn was streaking through the pipe. The young monk eased his way down the narrow expanse to the guestroom Arale was currently occupying, his stride light and confident. He had rubbed his chrome dome to a glistening sheen, and had even washed his clothes with a special detergent. His breath was minty fresh; he had gone through three strips of chewing gum in preparation for his upcoming encounter.

(Arale's too fast for a country bumpkin like Goku.) Kuririn snickered to himself, rounding the corner to the girl's room. (She needs someone more experienced in the ways of amour...like me!) He gave the dating magazine in his hands one more squeeze for luck, then walked through the door of destiny.

Inside, Arale was fitting her possessions into the cramped shelves around the room. There wasn't any particular rhyme or reason to her sorting scheme; everything was just placed next to each other in a random order. Kuririn paid it little mind; this was no time to get technical. Not when you were about to score a date with Cameron Diaz.

"What's a cute girl like you doing all alone in a place like this?" Kuririn crooned, being sure to stay close to the outline depicted in his dating magazine.

"N'cha!" Arale gave him a friendly wave.

Kuririn played it aloof, coasting around the perimeter of the room for inspiration. "So, Godzilla and Mothra huh?" he began, fixing his gaze on the action figures that took up a large amount of space on the shelves. "You know, that show's on just before the Dating Game." He was lying, of course; what kind of network airs a dating show on the same block as a Japanese monster show?

"What's the Dating Game?" she asked, the smile vanishing for the moment.

"Three bachelors, one girl, with the smoothest swinger taking the prize," he explained with a smile, taking the opportunity to sidle up to Arale. "Get the picture?"

"Hey, I know a game we can play!" Arale brightened, as if struck by sudden inspiration.

"Do you now?" Kuririn snaked an arm around her shoulder like a rock star. Inside, he was struggling to hold in his excitement. (Who knows what a wild girl like her has in mind for me?)

"Uh huh!" The girl reached over to the shelves for an object. Kuririn's grin widened, ready for whatever surprise she had in store.

Then, the monk suddenly found his mouth full of a strange, amorphous substance, similar in texture to soft-serve ice cream. Kuririn soon realized that Arale had put one of the poo piles from her collection right on his tongue. She smiled with self satisfaction. "Isn't this fun?" she inquired, clearly expecting an affirmative.

{BRRRING!} the phone rattled from down the hall. "Ooh, phone phone!" Arale cried, leaving Kuririn flash-frozen in the room.

In the living room, Goku was holding the receiver for Arale. "Hey Arale-chan, this thing started making noises, so I picked it up," he babbled, waving the aforementioned object. "Now there's this weird guy talkin' inside of it. I think he's talking about you!"

Arale listened to the insistent barking from the phone for a moment, and soon her face lit up in recognition. "Oh, that's Hakase!" she said, taking the receiver from Goku and putting it to her ear. "N'cha, Hakase!"

"Arale, you suck!" the ornery squawk of Norimaki Senbei emanated from the speaker. "I thought I told you to call as soon as you got in! I've been worried sick since you since you decided to go off with that Goku kid! Where the heck were you today?!"

"I've been having lots of fun with Go-kun and his friends!" Arale made a motion with her free hand, as if the inventor could see her through the speaker. "We all ate sandwiches for lunch, except that I fed Go-kun sandwiches, and nobody else had any!"

"Having a good day, huh?!" The incredulous laugh from the other end was viscous with sarcasm. "Well, why don't hear how MY day's been! The Ga-chans' chewed up half the kitchen, the teachers keep bugging me on when you're coming back to school, and now that I'm not doing maintenance on your parts any more, I can't write off my electronics purchases as a tax deduction!"

A few pixie peeps could be heard underneath the man's whining, along with a distinct chewing sound. "No, not the new sofa!" Senbei's voice came out distant, as he was speaking away from the receiver. "We're still making payments on that!"

As the girl continued to listen to her benefactor's list of complaints, Kuririn meandered in, gargling with some mouthwash from a half-empty bottle. "Hey Kuririn, where've you been?" Goku asked, as Kuririn fiddled absently with the mouthwash cap. "I thought you said you wanted to talk to Arale about somethin'."

"Forget it man, she's all yours." Kuririn poured the mouthwash into the cap to serve as a makeshift cup. "Bros before hoes, and all that stuff." He chucked the contents of the cap into his mouth, and wandered off to throw his dating mags in the garbage.

"You better get back here right away, or I'm not gonna give you that boob job I promised!" Senbei continued to holler at Arale, who just smiled her pleasure as random thoughts danced before her eyes. "You'll just have to go through all your high school years being the flattest girl in your grade!"

"Hey Hakase, I gotta go," Arale responded as if she hadn't heard him. "I just remembered that Godzilla vs. Gamera is coming on."

"Arale, don't hang up!" The voice became muffled as she pulled the receiver away and lowered it back onto the hook. Arale then turned to Goku with a bright smile. "He really misses me!" she told him.

Goku grinned in response. "A lot of my friends are loud like that," he agreed.

"Wanna watch Godzilla vs. Gamera?" she asked, appealing to him with shining irises. "It's the super cool crossover millennium fight!"

"That's one of those 'kaiju' things, isn't it?" Goku said, as the girl nodded. "Sure, I'll watch it." The two clasped hands and walked over to the living area, where the small archaic television was blaring with static. Arale quickly turned the knob to the appropriate channel, then settled down with her boyfriend, making herself comfortable by his side.

"Is there lots of fighting?" Goku asked her as the program began.

"Yup!" Arale nodded her head as she leaned her head on his shoulder.

(available here, or at FF.Net)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36812
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5109200/1/ ... -Education

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:13 pm

I suppose I should ask this here.

First of all, what do you think about recurring villains? It has never been done that way in the official franchise, but I would like to try it. And what about tragic villains?

Would it make sense for Beerus to not destroy Earth in an hypothetical BoG scenario where in the end he didn't fight the Super Saiyan God? What excuse could be used given the circunstances?

Also, would you guys buy the Rageta/Furious Mutation thing if it had some type of explanation? Or is just too random for Vegeta to get such a big power up by rage since he didn't get anything similar in the Boo arc? I'm trying to make a version of Super where Goku and Vegeta don't get godly forms before arriving at Planet Sadla and meeting U6 saiyans, so I need to rework BoG and the Champa arc without them. However the entire premise of BoG is, in fact, a battle of gods, so...

Consirering how weak U7 Kaioshin is, would it make sense for Zamasu to be Vegetto/God tier even before becoming Goku Black, making him an incredible prodigy? I like to think normal North Kaios can't never become Kaioshin, but he was an excepcion because of his great amount of power.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:29 pm

MisteryOne wrote:I suppose I should ask this here.

First of all, what do you think about recurring villains? It has never been done that way in the official franchise, but I would like to try it. And what about tragic villains?
Recurring villains can be fine, it's all about execution because when done wrong they're just annoying. And if they're the main threat, doing it wrong will result in them simply looking too incompotent (Unless you're actually aiming to make them look bad).

Tragic villains are fine, they make a story more interesting through either forcing you to reflect upon the hero's own action or making the factor that they have to lose bitter sweet. But you need to know that there's a difference between a tragic villain, and simply a villain with a tragic backstory. And again, the execution weighs heavily here. What are you trying to accomplish with the villain here? Is he supposed to be sympathetic? Or is his backstory just to show us how far the villain has fallen?

For my story, my villains have sympathetic backstories, and are still rather tragic by the end; but it's clear by the end point that they've gone way past the point of no return. They ad noble intentions, but time and tragedy withered them down to take extreme actions.
Would it make sense for Beerus to not destroy Earth in an hypothetical BoG scenario where in the end he didn't fight the Super Saiyan God? What excuse could be used given the circunstances?
Pudding. JUST GIVE THE FUCKER HIS PUDDING!

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:54 pm

Once I revamp my fic, I'll actually be taking a lot of Naruto routes on things (even abilities :P), but in this instance, I'm planning on having at least some of the villains redeem themselves right before death. Surprisingly, Dragon Ball actually did it in Xenoverse 2 to an extent.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:01 pm

What are some the worst tropes in Dragonball Fanfiction? Outside of just plain self-insert sues. Like how Harry Potter fics usually all hate Ron.

Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:10 pm

Kanassa wrote:What are some the worst tropes in Dragonball Fanfiction? Outside of just plain self-insert sues. Like how Harry Potter fics usually all hate Ron.
Trying to pass Vegeta off as a tragic figure is a sure fire way to piss in my cereal bowl.

Oh and when they use san or chan or domo in dialogue, you write in English and have proper dubs & translations to use, so use them.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Kanassa wrote:What are some the worst tropes in Dragonball Fanfiction? Outside of just plain self-insert sues. Like how Harry Potter fics usually all hate Ron.
This is fanfiction in general, but majorly flanderizing the characters, even Super is somewhat guilty of this.

Also completely ignoring the flaws of the author's favorite character and only focusing on the flaws of the other characters.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:14 pm

Gohan becomes the main character.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:16 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Trying to pass Vegeta off as a tragic figure is a sure fire way to piss in my cereal bowl.

Oh and when they use san or chan or domo in dialogue, you write in English and have proper dubs & translations to use, so use them.
OH, come on Ekrolo-san, you baka! Vegeta was just misunderstood!

Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:20 pm

Kanassa wrote:OH, come on Ekrolo-san, you baka! Vegeta was just misunderstood!
Would you believe me if I said this a legitimate response I once got?
Doctor. wrote:
Gohan becomes the main character.
You probably shouldn't read some of my stuff :P

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:23 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:You probably shouldn't read some of my stuff :P
Nah, I trust you to write that kind of story decently. When people usually have Gohan as the MC, they just want to self-insert as him.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:You probably shouldn't read some of my stuff :P
Nah, I trust you to write that kind of story decently. When people usually have Gohan as the MC, they just want to self-insert as him.
Either that or they just want to keep the "badass" Gohan who kills the Cell Jrs going, ignoring everything else like his love for studying or his implied desire to maybe resolve a conflict with words instead of fists.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:36 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:OH, come on Ekrolo-san, you baka! Vegeta was just misunderstood!
Would you believe me if I said this a legitimate response I once got?
Nope. Mine's too well worded :D

But yeah, I hate it when people randomly insert Japanese words into their sentences. You're writing in english, SO WRITE IN FUCKING ENGLISH!

Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:59 am

I've been thinking about how to reasonably give Piccolo God Ki and I had an idea using a barely utilized concept from early in on the Freeza arc: image training.

Whis would state that the reason Piccolo's barely improved after the Cell Games is because he hit his regular ki limit and had no means of significantly overcoming it lacking better training methods & transformations to raise his power. If he wants to get back into the relevant people category, Whis suggests for him to increase the tiny bit of God Ki he has in him from Kami through image training.

The Super Exciting Guide states that training your body has limits and you have to use this form of meditation to raise your ki higher before everything else can go up.

Whis would send Piccolo inside his staff and he would have to meditate inside this dimension made of raw God Ki. While he meditates inside, the God Ki would affect his mind, creating opponents for him to mentally battle with (kind of like how people with high fevers have nightmares or really bizarre dreams) to raise his ki while his body is perpetually assaulted by God Ki. This would be simultaneously raising his ki levels through mental sparring and his body through the staffs taxing environment.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:20 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I've been thinking about how to reasonably give Piccolo God Ki and I had an idea using a barely utilized concept from early in on the Freeza arc: image training.

Whis would state that the reason Piccolo's barely improved after the Cell Games is because he hit his regular ki limit and had no means of significantly overcoming it lacking better training methods & transformations to raise his power. If he wants to get back into the relevant people category, Whis suggests for him to increase the tiny bit of God Ki he has in him from Kami through image training.

The Super Exciting Guide states that training your body has limits and you have to use this form of meditation to raise your ki higher before everything else can go up.

Whis would send Piccolo inside his staff and he would have to meditate inside this dimension made of raw God Ki. While he meditates inside, the God Ki would affect his mind, creating opponents for him to mentally battle with (kind of like how people with high fevers have nightmares or really bizarre dreams) to raise his ki while his body is perpetually assaulted by God Ki. This would be simultaneously raising his ki levels through mental sparring and his body through the staffs taxing environment.
This is kind of similar to how I explained Vegeta getting SSBlue, except instead of image training Whis was beating the shit out of Vegeta, causing him to absorb God ki via Zenkais. In my rewrite Zenkais are basically Saiyans drawing in ki from their surroundings as part of the healing process, kind of like the Genki Dama. For this reason Zenkais become insignificant later on since the amount of ki the Saiyans possess in their bodies is far greater than the amount available in the environment. However in a dimension full of God ki like Whis' staff Vegeta is able to get huge Zenkais that allow him to catch up to Goku.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:25 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:This is kind of similar to how I explained Vegeta getting SSBlue, except instead of image training Whis was beating the shit out of Vegeta, causing him to absorb God ki via Zenkais. In my rewrite Zenkais are basically Saiyans drawing in ki from their surroundings as part of the healing process, kind of like the Genki Dama. For this reason Zenkais become insignificant later on since the amount of ki the Saiyans possess in their bodies is far greater than the amount available in the environment. However in a dimension full of God ki like Whis' staff Vegeta is able to get huge Zenkais that allow him to catch up to Goku.
I usually infer Vegeta getting Blue as Whis' training simply bringing out his already existing portion of God Ki and helping it grow. From the ritual we know that all of the Saiyan's have some God Ki in them, it's how Goku becomes an SSGod after all and Whis' training merely lets you draw this tiny portion out as SSBlue.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:49 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:This is kind of similar to how I explained Vegeta getting SSBlue, except instead of image training Whis was beating the shit out of Vegeta, causing him to absorb God ki via Zenkais. In my rewrite Zenkais are basically Saiyans drawing in ki from their surroundings as part of the healing process, kind of like the Genki Dama. For this reason Zenkais become insignificant later on since the amount of ki the Saiyans possess in their bodies is far greater than the amount available in the environment. However in a dimension full of God ki like Whis' staff Vegeta is able to get huge Zenkais that allow him to catch up to Goku.
I usually infer Vegeta getting Blue as Whis' training simply bringing out his already existing portion of God Ki and helping it grow. From the ritual we know that all of the Saiyan's have some God Ki in them, it's how Goku becomes an SSGod after all and Whis' training merely lets you draw this tiny portion out as SSBlue.
That could work if SSBlue was inferior to SSGod, but since it possesses even more power I don't think that will suffice. Plus there's the issue of only righteous Saiyans being able to participate in the ritual and all of them apparently possessing the exact same amount of God ki since Fetus Pan is just as good as any other Saiyan.

I think it's the ritual that generates God ki rather than the Saiyans already possessing it since that would mean that all Saiyans get exactly 1/6th of the amount of God ki necessary to go SSGod once they cross a certain threshold of righteousness and this amount never changes regardless of who it is, how strong they are, how righteous they are etc. and this also applies to half and quarter Saiyans.

Actually, now that I think about it, this could be used to explain Vegeta's rage boost. He could have obtained 1/6th of the power of SSGod by harnessing the God ki already within him. I probably won't use this, but it's a possible explanation. This also fits Beerus' 10% line and SSGod Goku being a 6 to Beerus' 10. Of course this all got retconned later on.