Dragonball Evolution - SPOILERS Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Daburcor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daburcor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:24 pm

You have GOT to be kidding me... :lol:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5j_vmyOaQ]There's many things I'll never know for sure...[/url]

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:26 pm

I don't see the problem with the ki, personally. I think it looks pretty neat. In fact, it looks sorta like it did in the 10th Anniversary movie if I remember right. I know it doesn't always look this way in Dragon Ball, but ki is often described as being like steam or literally breath from the body.

Not only that, but comparing it to the lifestream in Final Fantasy seems crazy to me (no offense!), because the lifestream is spiritual energy that flows through everything that lives. Ki is spiritual energy that flows through everything that lives. How is it being similar a bad thing when they're essentially the same thing to begin with?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:32 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:Wow at Goku being a slave for Piccolo.
I smell a long line of scary doujinshi, and fan art no one wants to look at.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:33 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Jackal puFF wrote:Wow at Goku being a slave for Piccolo.
I smell a long line of scary doujinshi, and fan art no one wants to look at.
I don't think I'm ready for this.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Not only that, but comparing it to the lifestream in Final Fantasy seems crazy to me (no offense!), because the lifestream is spiritual energy that flows through everything that lives. Ki is spiritual energy that flows through everything that lives. How is it being similar a bad thing when they're essentially the same thing to begin with?
I wasn't comparing it to the Lifestream on anything more than how it looks.

The last thing I want to do is enter a debate on any facet of DB and what it does/doesn't represent.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:08 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:I wasn't comparing it to the Lifestream on anything more than how it looks.
Ahh, fair enough.

Well, I like how it looks. Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne-oSl_SKAM

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:40 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:Holy crap, I just found the final confrontation of Goku & Piccolo

http://www.zshare.net/video/5687502974bf9f97/

be warned! :twisted:

I am pretty bummed out after watching it. :( :?
You know, my favorite part was was the Kamehameha. In fact watching that clip just gave me tingles of happiness. Seriously, I'm starting to think I love crappy movies a little too much. Anyway I've read this comment from the Topless Robot (nerd blog site) and the guy said something that was rather interesting.
Everything I've seen or read leads me to believe that everyone working on this movie time traveled here from the early to mid 90's when a movie like this might have been considered a blockbuster or at least a successful kids movie for that day and age. I mean seriously, watch the trailers and these clips and try to tell me it doesn't look like an unholy mix of power rangers, 3 Ninjas, and the Turtles movies(specifically the third one where they go back to ancient china).
Like, Oh my god! It does. When I was kid loved the Power Rangers movie, Mortal Kombat, and whole lot other awful 90's kids movies. And I just get this nostalgic vibe every time I watch a clip of DBE. Talk about de-evolving....

ZING!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:45 pm

Methinks that some of the higher ups who worked on this movie were a little more out of touch with their audience than they thought. ^^;;
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:59 pm

Maybe they'll make a sequel and make everything better :P

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:01 am

There probably won't be a sequel. The movies only hope relies on children who are probably gonna opt to see Hannah Montana instead.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:08 am

Chrono Trigger wrote:There probably won't be a sequel. The movies only hope relies on children who are probably gonna opt to see Hannah Montana instead.
No American boy wants to see that shit.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:16 am

JAPPO wrote:
Chrono Trigger wrote:There probably won't be a sequel. The movies only hope relies on children who are probably gonna opt to see Hannah Montana instead.
No American boy wants to see that shit.
:lol:

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:26 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDUMRoyEWwg

The anime with the OST by Brian Tyler.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:31 am

JAPPO wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDUMRoyEWwg

But watching the real Goku trying to get Chi-Chi to stop hugging his arm just reminds me of how out of character Chatku crushing on her in the first place is. :(
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:40 am

Chuquita wrote:

But watching the real Goku trying to get Chi-Chi to stop hugging his arm just reminds me of how out of character Chatku crushing on her in the first place is. :(
And that is the reason why I am not going to see this movie.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:35 am

Chuquita wrote:

It really would have been so much nicer if ChiChi had a huge crush on Goku, and it was blatantly obvious to the entire world, except for Goku. Goku would be clueless about it. But why would he go to her house instead of his Grandpa's party? Easy. Have all the food be at her place, and not Gohan's. Remove the Gohan party theme altogether. It would delete the rather corny, "Goku broke his promise and so Gohan paid for it" theme and replace it with a "Shit happens" theme.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:48 am

Sedorna wrote:It really would have been so much nicer if ChiChi had a huge crush on Goku, and it was blatantly obvious to the entire world, except for Goku. Goku would be clueless about it. But why would he go to her house instead of his Grandpa's party? Easy. Have all the food be at her place, and not Gohan's. Remove the Gohan party theme altogether. It would delete the rather corny, "Goku broke his promise and so Gohan paid for it" theme and replace it with a "Shit happens" theme.
This seems like the much more obvious path to take. Why does Hollywood have something against taking the obvious path?

Oh well. Chatku would probably do just as bad a job of acting either way. That's what gets me.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:49 am

Tell me we at least got Piccolo singing "It's Not Easy Being Green" at some stage in the movie? :(
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:57 am

Oh, I should mention that I liked how when he screamed in the clip where he's fighting Piccolo, you heard the Oozaru roar underneath, like most of the Super Saiyajin do when they power up later in the series (especially Gohan when he went SSJ2). Pretty neat.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:02 am

I'm enjoying Chatwin's YouTube "demo reels" more than what I've seen of his Chatku performance so far. >_<

What can I say, grocery-store antics amuse me. :3
Out of character Goku does not. TT_TT

I wish him goodluck with that YouTube series of his at least. ^^;
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!