The Harmony Gold Dub & Broadcast Audio Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

atm5508
Beyond Newbie

Re: The pilot episodes of HG's dub of DB might not exist

Post by atm5508 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:16 pm

Hopefully it will be the anime, but until I get to watch it I'll remain hesitant. As kei17 said, the company doesn't usually release anime, which has me a little worried.

To be honest, I just hope it isn't one of the 1995 dub tapes that somehow got mislabeled :lol:

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:57 pm

atm5508 wrote:Hopefully it will be the anime, but until I get to watch it I'll remain hesitant. As kei17 said, the company doesn't usually release anime, which has me a little worried.
Try contacting the people you bought the tape from and ask them if it's anime or live action they might be able to clarify that for you.
atm5508 wrote:To be honest, I just hope it isn't one of the 1995 dub tapes that somehow got mislabeled :lol:
Only one way to find out for sure play the video when it comes in and pray for the best.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:33 pm

So, Harmony Gold started the "Flying Nimbus" name!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Attitudefan wrote:So, Harmony Gold started the "Flying Nimbus" name!
And also "Master Roshi". I'm assuming, since FUNimation used those also, that that's in the scripts Toei gave them.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:10 am

Maybe it's just me, but...does Barbara Goodson's Goku sound like Masako Nozawa's? I think it does. Not an "English clone" per say, but close enough to be interesting.

Either way, it's so funny sometimes to see how a voice actor or actress will play such completely different roles. She went from Goku to Rita Repulsa! :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:21 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Maybe it's just me, but...does Barbara Goodson's Goku sound like Masako Nozawa's? I think it does. Not an "English clone" per say, but close enough to be interesting.

Either way, it's so funny sometimes to see how a voice actor or actress will play such completely different roles. She went from Goku to Rita Repulsa! :lol:
She sounds a lot like Saffron Henderson to me.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:45 am

VegettoEX wrote:That's a huge stretch.

It basically boils down to, "I don't have it and I want it!"... and no court is going to consider that "fair use". There is no significant historical value to a random dub of a random TV show worth preserving to anyone other than folks -- like all of us -- who just want to whine on the Internet about it.
Here's the thing; I understand where you're coming from, because it's all a sticky situation. However, you say this when you have a whole podcast episode which is essentially just you guys playing clips from the Saban-era DBZ dub that were later edited out/toned down and talking about it. It's fair use though, because you talk about it and make it informative. You could easily just play the missing segment and the theme song and what have you on the show and talk about it afterwards. To unearth that is actually newsworthy to this community.

That's not even an excuse or me being facetious; there are people who are actually interested in that sort of stuff, and wouldn't mind you guys talking about these weird dubs. There's a whole episode based upon the Big Green stuff as it is, and the fact that it helps people trying to preserve the thing is only a byproduct. I've actually written extensively on these very forums about what exactly was edited out of their "Blood Rubies" dub because I felt it was interesting to note what their methodology was and how different editing was back in the day. The fact that Bulma's gun sneaks through momentarily, for instance.

I understand your answer will probably be that you don't want to talk about it on the show, which is fair enough; it's your podcast and you pick the topics... but I think saying that it's not viable is kind of funny when you've talked about things even more niche than this in the past and even recently.

This is also completely dodging the fact that you guys use actual Dragonball music during the podcast in a manner which isn't there for editorial review or criticism, and could potentially get you into quite a bit more trouble than anything we've talked about here. (Also, if you're going by the '30 second rule,' I have some news for you sir!)
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:50 am

Ashura wrote:SNIPPY SNIP
That's all much different than releasing all the audio and/or video just for anyone to grab.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:55 am

AgitoZ wrote:
Ashura wrote:SNIPPY SNIP
That's all much different than releasing all the audio and/or video just for anyone to grab.
The guy's initial request was actually very small to begin with; 'the segments which the currently upload doesn't have.' Pretty much what's missing from what is floating around now are the beginning of movie 3 and the complete intro... and a little bit of the ending to the 'Blood Rubies' dub. (I know that's not its title, but it's shorthand everyone knows.)
Last edited by Ashura on Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:57 am

Ashura wrote:The guy's initial request was actually very small to begin with; 'the segments which the currently upload doesn't have.' Pretty much what's missing from what is floating around now are the beginning of movie 3 and the complete intro.
Which would still be the clips by themselves. Not even a podcast in between. Much harder to justify.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:59 am

AgitoZ wrote:That's all much different than releasing all the audio and/or video just for anyone to grab.
Pretty much.
Ashura wrote:However, you say this when you have a whole podcast episode which is...
If I had to, I would defend myself in court to the bitter end concerning using clips in the podcast episodes, because I truly believe they satisfy every single last requirement to even be considered for fair use.
Ashura wrote:The guy's initial request was actually very small to begin with; 'the segments which the currently upload doesn't have.' Pretty much what's missing from what is floating around now are the beginning of movie 3 and the complete intro.
That was the initial request, which I was not involved with. I was specifically asked to upload an entire movie. Also, as was just stated, clips for the sake of clips without any kind of commentary or surrounding context is just copyright infringement for the sake of copyright infringement. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do it, though -- I just don't really care to be a part of it in this particular case.
Ashura wrote:This is also completely dodging the fact that you guys use actual Dragonball music during the podcast in a manner which isn't there for editorial review or criticism, and could potentially get you into quite a bit more trouble than anything we've talked about here. (Also, if you're going by the '30 second rule,' I have some news for you sir!)
Oh, absolutely. I have no ground to stand on what-so-ever.

I'd totally be a dick and list every single podcast episode of every show ever that does the same thing, though, and overwhelm the court system. Suck it, legal teams.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:15 am

EX knows how to defend himself!

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:19 am

Yes, I'm glad we're on the same page.
VegettoEX wrote: If I had to, I would defend myself in court to the bitter end concerning using clips in the podcast episodes, because I truly believe they satisfy every single last requirement to even be considered for fair use.
I never said you broke any laws doing an episode about the Saban stuff. I actually said very specifically that it WAS fair use after I mentioned it to bring up the suggestion that INSTEAD of releasing them, make it into an actual subject.

See, here:
Ashura wrote:It's fair use though, because you talk about it and make it informative.
I think you misunderstand me a little. When I say:
Ashura wrote:However, you say this when you have a whole podcast episode which is...
I was very specifically replying to this segment which I quoted and not the fact that you won't just 'release' the clips. I understand COMPLETELY why you just won't dump the clips out.
VegettoEX wrote:There is no significant historical value to a random dub of a random TV show worth preserving to anyone other than folks -- like all of us -- who just want to whine on the Internet about it.
Which I took (maybe wrongly) to mean it's not interesting or historical enough to be fair use and talk even talk about it on the podcast, which seemed a little hypcritical due to the fact that you DO have a podcast episode which is essentially the same thing already. And then further suggested that you ACTUALLY DO make it a subject ON said podcast BECAUSE it would be interesting to this community.

If I misunderstood this statement, then I'm sorry; but it seemed to me you were pretty much saying that 'this wouldn't even fly on the podcast.' Either way, if you feel you can argue the other podcast in court, you could easily argue this one.

Which I guess it boils down to a suggestion: Why not just make this into a podcast subject, talk about it, play a bunch of clips, talk about the missing ones (try not to talk over them!), play the theme song, and such and such and on and on, and then everyone's happy. People get to hear it, it's an actual subject, and it's informative.

Like I mentioned, to me it's obviously an interesting subject beyond just getting to hear what's missing and being able to restore the whole thing. These weird dubs are fascinating to me, which is obviously why I wrote quite a bit about the first movie.
Last edited by Ashura on Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:23 am

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, I was arguing that simply capturing and providing a copy of one of the movies (or both movies, or both movies + the pilot episodes) simply isn't enough ground to stand on. That goes right back to the "just because you want it doesn't mean you're entitled to it" statement from a while back.

Doing a historical podcast episode / website section... yeah, sure. I kinda thought we already did. Guess not :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:27 am

VegettoEX wrote:Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, I was arguing that simply capturing and providing a copy of one of the movies (or both movies, or both movies + the pilot episodes) simply isn't enough ground to stand on. That goes right back to the "just because you want it doesn't mean you're entitled to it" statement from a while back.

Doing a historical podcast episode / website section... yeah, sure. I kinda thought we already did. Guess not :P.
See, awesome!

If you want to do a topic about it, feel free to utilize my edit list. If you want me to, I'll try to go through the second movie sometime (what there is of it) just to note what's missing/edited, whatever, though I didn't privately restore that one like I did the first movie because there's such a huge chunk missing.

atm5508
Beyond Newbie

Post by atm5508 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:49 am

If you end up doing this episode and want info or anything from the Zero Y El Dragon Magico Tape (assuming it's what I hope it to be) just let me know. I'd be happy to provide whatever I can once this comes in.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:26 am

By the way, I guess the title of this topic should be changed to "The pilot episodes of HG's dub of DB do exist" or something like that, after all. :)

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:57 am

kei17 wrote:By the way, I guess the title of this topic should be changed to "The pilot episodes of HG's dub of DB do exist" or something like that, after all. :)
The title has been changed since the question as to whether or not the pilot episodes exist has been answered. Now this thread is going to focus on from here on out solving the many mysteries that still surround the HG dub of DB like if more than just the 5 pilot episodes were made and never released (I think awhile back I remember hearing someone say that HG actually dubbed the entire series).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The mysteries that still surround HG's dub of DB

Post by superrayman3 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:49 am

There's something that's got me curious about HG's dub of movie's 1&3, supposedly Streamline Pictures released a very limited vhs run of movies 1&3, well I've been looking around on the net for more info about this tape and so far I've found absolutly no info so now I'm wondering does this Streamline vhs even exist or am I just wasting my time?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: The mysteries that still surround HG's dub of DB

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:53 am

superrayman3 wrote:There's something that's got me curious about HG's dub of movie's 1&3, supposedly Streamline Pictures released a very limited vhs run of movies 1&3, well I've been looking around on the net for more info about this tape and so far I've found absolutly no info so now I'm wondering does this Streamline vhs even exist or am I just wasting my time?
If there's no info about said tape, then where did you hear this from?