DBZ #1 Japanese Region 2 release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:59 pm

Recently, I passed up an awesome opportunity to snag a Dragonball GT Dragon Box for a mere $400 in favor of spending that money on the upcoming Movie Dragon Box. Then a run of bad luck forced me to spill enough of my savings where I won't have all the money by the pre-order date. I'm in such disbelief over my circumstances . . . guess I'll have to take advantage of these individual Region 2 releases when I can.

Damn. Bite me, ya friggin' universe.

(Li'l Lemmy, who has a fair collection of FUNi discs but is desperate to own something Japanese DBZ.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mr. Robot » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:20 am

I just figured something out: you can order it before the deadline, but cancel anytime (try to make it a few weeks, at least, to be safe) before the box ships. So just order the box, save up, and if February comes and you still don't have the cash, cancel.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:52 am

Mr. Robot wrote:I just figured something out: you can order it before the deadline, but cancel anytime (try to make it a few weeks, at least, to be safe) before the box ships. So just order the box, save up, and if February comes and you still don't have the cash, cancel.
Yep, that's the beauty of Amazon.com. In fact, thats what I am doing now.

InfernoSoul

Post by InfernoSoul » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:37 pm

Mr. Robot wrote:Well this is by no means step by step, but the first step is to specify English as the language you want. Most things will still be in Japanese, but it will be much easier. Near the top right of each product page is a "Display in English" link. Press that for starters. Then, you can order your item. Follow the instructions, but when you come to the shipping screen, click on the international address link. That will allow you to enter your international address, and eventually the shipping options presented to you will be international ones. Hope that helps.

Now, what about those Dragon Book scans...?

EDIT: To find the dvds, just search for Dragon Ball. This works because it is an english title, and it is listed under Dragon Ball, not Doragonbooru in katakana. You can also find the movie box this way.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Sorry I haven't been able to reply back I was having "technical difficulties". ^_^; Anyways I received my first DragonBall Z Disc #1 the other day. I was surprised how fast I received it. It took less then a week to get here. Now all I need a dvd player to play region 2 DVD's. Forcing my Apex to play them leaves an annoying stop sign in the upper right hand corner and the remote useless(can't select chapters or fast-foward). I would like to see the menus Heh.

But all in all the DVD's look awesome I was amazed at the quality of the product. The color's saturation look so much better then FUNimation's DVD's. Not trying to get into any debate or anything I was just comparing them. The picture was sharp but not too sharp, a whole lot less grain then I was expecting. I can still see it but just barely on my 27" CRT Panasonic Flat screen but no where near as much as FUNimation's DVD's. I can't wait to see these through component. Right now I'm using S-video through one of the cheapest dvd players out there. Looking to upgrade to a high quality dvd player soon. Having a properly calibrated tv makes these DVD's shine even more. I used AVIA on my tv and it really made a huge difference in picture quality on cable and dvd. As for the Audio it seemed to be the same as what is on FUNimation's DVD's. It might be better but like I said it seemed the same to me. I mean it is only Dobly Digital 2.0, not much you can really improve on besides a higher bit rate. Which I would have no idea how to tell if they have the same bit rates. Anyways just wanted to say I look forward to buying them all.
[i]“Bakana hazuwa nai! Sonna hazuga arumonka! Sonna hazuwa zettaini nai!” -Vegeta[/i]
[i]"I run faster with a knife"[/i]

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:41 pm

You can reburn it without the region coding, right? It should play fine in a region 1 player, I would think. I'm planning on reauthoring them, using FUNimation's subtitles/translations as my guide. At least my masters will stay in good quality. :D

InfernoSoul

Post by InfernoSoul » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:14 pm

Yeah I could rip it and re-burn it with the subtitles but then that would be a loss in video and audio quality(it might not be much but it is still there) which I do not want. I don't really need to do that anyways. I bought them so I could enjoy DragonBall Z to it's fullest. Besides I've seen the series so many times I know what is going on and the fact that I've picked up quite a few japanese words lets me get by. ^_~
[i]“Bakana hazuwa nai! Sonna hazuga arumonka! Sonna hazuwa zettaini nai!” -Vegeta[/i]

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mr. Robot » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:17 am

Yeah, it's really amazing how far a couple of phrases can get you (Yatta!, I did it, Kuso! Shit, etc.)

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:37 am

Just want to say sorry about that whole bittorrent thing earlier VegettoEX. :?

Also I will definately be buying these since I missed out on the Dragon Boxes. I hope I will be able to get the Movie Dragon Box as well. But the only downside of me getting the individual discs is that I wont get the Dragon Books which I so badly want. I couldn't really care less about the figurines though. I would have bought the Dragon Boxes from a private seller on Amazon (or Yahoo Japan), but they are all so expensive and most don't ship internationally. :( Since I am already going to collect the individual DBZ DVDs, I can't decide whether or not to buy a cheaper used Dragon Box just for the Dragon Book (as well as tv specials and other special features). There are some that are maybe $620 USD. That is still a lot of money though.

Dan_the_Rebirth

Post by Dan_the_Rebirth » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:24 am

well do u guys dont think u are geting offtopic?? the Topic is about DBZ Singel DVDs and not about the DragonBox's, anyway

I finaly got my Singel DVDs and i realy cant renember me that DBZ was so bloody, and i have already seen the cuted Funi, and the german TV episodes but i dont can renember me that i had seen so mutch blood there

ok its not realy mutch blood but more than i can renmber that i had seen

and what i also wanna say is, thati dont understand why they didnt edit the color of vegita in epi 5, coz we all know that they had cleaned every frame, and so they actually had the chance to do it, and i thinke he wuld look mutch better if they had gave him the colors what they had used in the rest of the anime(the red hair and this strange red-green amor just looks stupid) but thats just what i think

InfernoSoul

Post by InfernoSoul » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:01 pm

Dan_the_Rebirth wrote:well do u guys dont think u are geting offtopic?? the Topic is about DBZ Singel DVDs and not about the DragonBox's, anyway

I finaly got my Singel DVDs and i realy cant renember me that DBZ was so bloody, and i have already seen the cuted Funi, and the german TV episodes but i dont can renember me that i had seen so mutch blood there

and what i also wanna say is, thati dont understand why they didnt edit the color of vegita in epi 5, coz we all know that they had cleaned every frame, and so they actually had the chance to do it, and i thinke he wuld look mutch better if they had gave him the colors what they had used in the rest of the anime(the red hair and this strange red-green amor just looks stupid) but thats just what i think
I would guess they would have to redraw that scene or at least obtain the original B&W drawing, color it and shoot the whole thing over again. I don't think they would mess with the original print like that and besides it would cost them a bit more money and time.

Dan_the_Rebirth

Post by Dan_the_Rebirth » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:13 pm

true...

hey did anyone of u realieze that u can see cratches on the cell of gohan in one scene(episode 8 where gohan looks down to the runing dinos)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:19 pm

Dan_the_Rebirth wrote:well do u guys dont think u are geting offtopic?? the Topic is about DBZ Singel DVDs and not about the DragonBox's, anyway

Dan_the_Rebirth wrote:true...

hey did anyone of u realieze that u can see cratches on the cell of gohan in one scene(episode 8 where gohan looks down to the runing dinos)
Dude, come *on*. This is completely unacceptable. Re-read the forum rules. Over the course of your dozen posts, you have been officially warned several times. That's more than enough; anything else, and you're gone.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::