The differences between Toei Goku and Manga Goku

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: The differences between Toei Goku and Manga Goku

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:48 am

DB as a world changed constantly. It started off as a gag manga, then a martial arts story but still very goofy then an adventure story. It didn't really become the high stakes all out super-battle manga until Piccolo Daimao. No, you guys constantly put way too much emphasis on his Saiyan heritage. I don't see how him asking a very simple and understandable question concerning Piccolo and Kami. Nothing changed in Goku. This isn't sudden. He didn't even come into conflict with the RRA because he was trying to do good. He would've rather been left alone. i don't think you quite understand Goku's character if you believe adult Goku is inconsistent with who Goku is in his early years. How is revenge inconsistent with his desire to fight strong warriors?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:04 am

I feel like the Saiyajin arc onwards recontextualized Goku’s desire for battle as genetic rather than a product of his upbringing being trained by a martial arts master since childhood and all. But, yes, I think his character never really saw any dramatic changes between pre and post Raditz. He was always a good natured guy who could be myopic in his desires.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:02 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:04 am I feel like the Saiyajin arc onwards recontextualized Goku’s desire for battle as genetic rather than a product of his upbringing being trained by a martial arts master since childhood and all.
Toriyama just took Goku's character traits and used them to create the Saiyajin. He did the same thing with Piccolo and the Namekians.