Do you want Cell back in DBS?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Do you want Cell back in DBS?

Post by HeroR » Tue May 03, 2016 12:00 am

Gorou wrote:
HeroR wrote: I personally love Resurrection 'F' so it was far from disastrous for me :P

I also think Freeza is overall a more interesting villain than Cell, who I found to be shallower than spit. At least Buu was run to watch while he was causing chaos.

For me it is simply disastrous, there FF far more compelling and interesting.

None of DB's villains is profound.
Everyone has their different individual motivations for doing harm.

Are all built on distinct negative precepts: megalomania, arrogance, ignorance of the good.
However, individual opinions remain individuals.
All the villains have quirks that made them interesting to me:

Vegeta: The Saiyan Prince who talent was so great that Freeza took a liking to him and spared him out of all the Saiyans he murdered. Freeza practically raised Vegeta as one of his men, but Vegeta despises Freeza because of the racism he is forced to live under and Vegeta hates being ruled by another. This only deepened after he finds out Freeza destroyed his world. He goes to Earth so he can gained immortality so he can finally kill Freeza and takes his place as ruler of the universe. But he's stopped by some low class scum bag who can somehow challenged him and even surpassed him by becoming a Super Saiyan, kickstarting a rivalry that will las a lifetime.

Freeza: An overpowered, polite, spoil-brat who has been drunk on power for his entire life and used his overwhelming gift to terrorize and murder others for profit or because he feels like. He is also a paranoid racist who fears anyone becoming stronger than him, yet instead of growing stronger to guard against such possibility, he murders anyone who can remotely be a threat to him. At the same time, he has a soft-spot for talented fighters, which is why he spared Vegeta and wanted Goku to work for him after witnessing his talent. After he gets his butt handed to him by Goku, he has a complete mental breakdown and stops running his empire, focusing only on revenge, which leads right to his death. When he was given a second chance, he wasted it on getting revenge, but had some foresight to actually train himself instead of running straight on like the firs time. But he was still short-sighted enough not to train his new shiny transformation because at the end of the day, he's a spoil brat who had everything handed to him on a silver platter and can't understand the value of working hard and mastering something.

Majin Buu: A demon so powerful that he remained the most powerful thing in the universe for billion of years and killed the gods of the universe. In his pure form, he is a being of pure destruction and chaos who has no pride to take advantage of, no lofty goals to rule the universe, and doesn't care about being the strongest in the universe. It is a pure killing machine than can learn techniques just from seeing it once and gain the power to teleport to any of the lower worlds, turning him into a galactic wrecking ball before he's finally stopped. Fat Buu is a misguided child who has been manipulated and control to be a killing machine, although he has powers that can save people like his healing beam. He is redeemed by the most unlikely person in the world and is finally free of the evil influence that has controlled his life. Super Buu is similar to Cell in that they both want to be the strongest and destroy the universe just cause, but what makes Super Buu more interesting is that he's freaking hilarious, he never holds the villain ball like Cell did after reaching perfection, and he manipulates the heroes and gods until Vegetto shows because everyone thinks he's retarded.

And there's Cell: An android programmed to kill Goku by his creator because he destroyed the Red Ribbon Army, the same army whose leader wanted the Dragon Balls to wish for height. His goal is to become perfect by absorbing Androids 17 and 18. He become complete after manipulating the heroes, gets bored because he wants to test his new powers against a worthy opponent, so he holds the Cell Games. He then pushes Gohan's buttons to bring out his hidden powers (despite Gohan warning him what a bad idea that is), gets his ass kicked, and tries to blow himself up along with the Earth because he's a sore loser. He somehow survives his own self-destruction, comes back stronger than ever, and wants to destroy the universe because it's Gero's true end goal as vengeance for the Red Ribbon Army, whose end goal by its leader was to wish for height….

There's really nothing to Cell as character except for the dark irony that he was created to avenge an army that was laughably incompetent and petty in Dragon Ball. And they both got destroyed by children. Which is why I said as a villain he's shallow. His existence says more about Gero's character than it does about Cell.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Tue May 03, 2016 10:43 am

Cell and Majin Boo love destroy mainly because they find it fun, and fun is the most understandable and human motivation of all. Majin Boo is evil mainly because it ignores the concept of good and because it is corrupted by evil.The original demon absorbs purposely other people to get a heart and conscious of himself.

Vegeta (saiyan arc) and Freeza are more like space pirates, with infinite resources with a massive superiority complex, seeking immortality, and are structured in a very similar manner. Do not govern, but they take what they want from the people who submit. Both are also very strict with their subordinates who make mistakes. But, the basic concept of their construction is megalomania

Gero with has NOTHING to do with Cell's motivations (increasingly convinced that most users of this forum doesn't remember nothing to the arc, or have read him badly), who are absolutely individual. It does not follow its programming, but only his desire to excel, which is the real reason why was created. It is absolutely not true that he wants destroy the universe because has been programmed to do so, partly because it was not Gero to program it, but his computer, over the years (he had left the project) His decision to anger Gohan is consistent with his being and his desires. He decides to destroy itself because it is the only thing that obviously can do to get a partial victory. The basic concept of him construction is haughtiness.
Last edited by Gorou on Wed May 04, 2016 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Wed May 04, 2016 6:47 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
TheDBZmaster100 wrote:Truth to be the told, I personally believe that the last decently written major antagonist we had was Piccolo Daimao. I liked fat Majin Buu aswell.
No love for Freeza or Vegeta?
Frieza was an awful antagonist, Vegeta as a major antagonist was interesting, though I preferred his role during the Namek Saga. Truly the best incarnation of Vegeta in my opinion.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed May 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Revival of Cell plot tease:

"Many years have passed after the battle with Beers the God of Destruction and Freeza. In an isolated cavern somewhere to the far west, a room can be seen. There's a tube with a rather large life-form inside. This being is "Flawless" Cell. No one was aware that Gero had another Cell in development in case the first one ended up being unsuccessful. The last Cell proved to be a fearsome foe, but was eventually defeated by Gohan. Krillin and the Trunks from the future were able to neutralize the Cell of the present time while in development.

This time around, Dr. Gero's improved spy robots were able to extract various samples from Majin Boo, Gotenks, Jaco, Tagoma, Golden Freeza, Super Saiyan God Goku, Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta, Beers, and Whis. With the overwhelming amount of power and potential from these beings, the new Flawless Cell will prove to be an enemy far beyond their imagination. Will Goku be able to stop Cell this time? Or is the Earth doomed?"
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Thu May 05, 2016 2:43 am

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:Revival of Cell plot tease:

"Many years have passed after the battle with Beers the God of Destruction and Freeza. In an isolated cavern somewhere to the far west, a room can be seen. There's a tube with a rather large life-form inside. This being is "Flawless" Cell. No one was aware that Gero had another Cell in development in case the first one ended up being unsuccessful. The last Cell proved to be a fearsome foe, but was eventually defeated by Gohan. Krillin and the Trunks from the future were able to neutralize the Cell of the present time while in development.

This time around, Dr. Gero's improved spy robots were able to extract various samples from Majin Boo, Gotenks, Jaco, Tagoma, Golden Freeza, Super Saiyan God Goku, Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta, Beers, and Whis. With the overwhelming amount of power and potential from these beings, the new Flawless Cell will prove to be an enemy far beyond their imagination. Will Goku be able to stop Cell this time? Or is the Earth doomed?"
:sick:
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri May 06, 2016 1:08 am

Gorou wrote:Cell and Majin Boo love destroy mainly because they find it fun, and fun is the most understandable and human motivation of all. Majin Boo is evil mainly because it ignores the concept of good and because it is corrupted by evil.The original demon absorbs purposely other people to get a heart and conscious of himself.

Vegeta (saiyan arc) and Freeza are more like space pirates, with infinite resources with a massive superiority complex, seeking immortality, and are structured in a very similar manner. Do not govern, but they take what they want from the people who submit. Both are also very strict with their subordinates who make mistakes. But, the basic concept of their construction is megalomania

Gero with has NOTHING to do with Cell's motivations (increasingly convinced that most users of this forum doesn't remember nothing to the arc, or have read him badly), who are absolutely individual. It does not follow its programming, but only his desire to excel, which is the real reason why was created. It is absolutely not true that he wants destroy the universe because has been programmed to do so, partly because it was not Gero to program it, but his computer, over the years (he had left the project) His decision to anger Gohan is consistent with his being and his desires. He decides to destroy itself because it is the only thing that obviously can do to get a partial victory. The basic concept of him construction is haughtiness.
I watched the Cell Saga recently, so yes I do remember Cell's motivations, or lack thereof. He wants to be the strongest because he wants to be the strongest. Once he's the strongest he holds a tournament named after himself to fight the strongest on Earth, provokes little Gohan to unleashed his hidden power, got his wish, got his ass kicked, tries to self-destruct, fails, came back stronger than ever and insane, claiming that he will destroy the universe as part of Gero's revenge for the Red Ribbon Army, and he gets killed.

And Cell was still design to get revenge for an army whose leader wanted to the Dragon Balls to wish for height.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 am

If it would be a ghost of the past/test for Gohan, sure. Gohan after F wants to get strong enough to protect everyone. He did that against Cell before, went mad with power, and then Goku died because of his failure. Would make for some closure if he could best Cell, while this time not losing control of himself. If it would just be another Goku/Vegeta thing, then fuck it. Don't see what they could get from Cell. Freeza had something to offer Goku and Vegeta, but not so much Cell.

Overall, probably not cause it'd just feel too much of a F retread. Why retread something that was utter shit? Better to just be original instead of bringing back an old villain....which wasn't original when F did it anyways. The only really cool thing with Cell would be hearing Norio Wakamoto again. I do like hearing his voice.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Fri May 06, 2016 10:03 am

HeroR wrote:[
I watched the Cell Saga recently, so yes I do remember Cell's motivations
Based on what I read here, doesn't seem at all
He wants to be the strongest because he wants to be the strongest.

He want to be the strongest because he was designed for it, and because the warriors from which was extrapolated his genome had ALL the SAME desires (his statements are self-evident) "Maybe is the blood of Freeza, Goku and Piccolo that makes me act like that"
got his wish, got his ass kicked,
What he wanted was a stimulant battle , and he himself tells us that "the maximum enjoyment from a challenge you get when the two fighters are equal in power"
The strongest of the group, Goku, was for him the most interesting challenge, but was still not enough to test its maximum power (in fact against him had detained). Gohan's anger could only offer him a better challenge, and having fun has always been its main purpose (these are not assumptions, but deductions based on those who say the characters)
and insane
??
claiming that he will destroy the universe as part of Gero's revenge for the Red Ribbon Army, and he gets killed
And Cell was still design to get revenge for an army whose leader wanted to the Dragon Balls to wish for height.
Totally fake, not veins ever made an assumption like that. I think you're basing on the anime, which is not the original work.
In any event, even in the anime does not say who wants to destroy the universe because Gero created it for this. And in that filler Gero says specifically that his intention is to build the most powerful being in the universe.

I reiterate, is necessary read better the arc.
Last edited by Gorou on Fri May 06, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Fri May 06, 2016 12:56 pm

Hell no, I don't want another good villain to be humiliated by a rehashed plot. However, I do want to see a Cell-X lookalike make an appearance, but alas, the Dragonball series ain't horror.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.