Gohan's role/usage in "Dragon Ball Super"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Re: Wtf about Gohan?

Post by Shinomori » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:48 pm

Of course all of this is conjecture. Whether Gohan struggled because Frieza shot holes in his body, or whether Goku got better at sensing power levels on earth, the same result is Gohan sucks as a character now. What bothers me is I would feel perfectly fine if the show kind of retired Gohan permanently as a fighter. Clearly he doesn't love to fight and simply wants to live as a regular person. Goku's instinct on constantly wanting to be stronger is not in him. Let him retire his number and ride off into the sunset. When you really think about it, Gohan's character development reached it's peak with the ending of the Cell Games. Once he defeated Cell, I gather he was truly content with living a life without fighting.

I have a question. In the manga, did Gohan ask Piccolo to train him after their battle with Frieza? I do remember someone saying concerning the manga, when Vegeta was considering who would be on the team of Universe 7 to fight Universe 6, Goku specifically told Vegeta that Gohan was not a fighter and shouldn't be bothered with it. I know in the anime Goku asked Gohan if he wanted to participate, but was it different in the manga?

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:08 pm

Shinomori wrote:Of course all of this is conjecture. Whether Gohan struggled because Frieza shot holes in his body, or whether Goku got better at sensing power levels on earth, the same result is Gohan sucks as a character now. What bothers me is I would feel perfectly fine if the show kind of retired Gohan permanently as a fighter. Clearly he doesn't love to fight and simply wants to live as a regular person. Goku's instinct on constantly wanting to be stronger is not in him. Let him retire his number and ride off into the sunset. When you really think about it, Gohan's character development reached it's peak with the ending of the Cell Games. Once he defeated Cell, I gather he was truly content with living a life without fighting.

I have a question. In the manga, did Gohan ask Piccolo to train him after their battle with Frieza? I do remember someone saying concerning the manga, when Vegeta was considering who would be on the team of Universe 7 to fight Universe 6, Goku specifically told Vegeta that Gohan was not a fighter and shouldn't be bothered with it. I know in the anime Goku asked Gohan if he wanted to participate, but was it different in the manga?
The manga skipped the Resurrection F stuff since there was already a short promotional manga out for the movie. In the manga, Vegeta mentions Gohan has the most potential of all of them but doesn't have the scene with Gohan and Piccolo training. Rather the manga skips ahead quickly to the gathered members and on to the time chamber bit and Bulma seeking information on the Super DBs, then the tournament proper.

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinomori » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:18 pm

Kagari wrote:
Shinomori wrote:Of course all of this is conjecture. Whether Gohan struggled because Frieza shot holes in his body, or whether Goku got better at sensing power levels on earth, the same result is Gohan sucks as a character now. What bothers me is I would feel perfectly fine if the show kind of retired Gohan permanently as a fighter. Clearly he doesn't love to fight and simply wants to live as a regular person. Goku's instinct on constantly wanting to be stronger is not in him. Let him retire his number and ride off into the sunset. When you really think about it, Gohan's character development reached it's peak with the ending of the Cell Games. Once he defeated Cell, I gather he was truly content with living a life without fighting.

The manga skipped the Resurrection F stuff since there was already a short promotional manga out for the movie. In the manga, Vegeta mentions Gohan has the most potential of all of them but doesn't have the scene with Gohan and Piccolo training. Rather the manga skips ahead quickly to the gathered members and on to the time chamber bit and Bulma seeking information on the Super DBs, then the tournament proper.
Thanks for the info!

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:00 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:As for Piccolo, I don't see that happening. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought the ability of going beyond their own limits as a particularity of Saiyajins.

Krillin and the others who are humans have said a few times that they were at their supposed "limits" and easily went right through that wall and then some, a few times in the story. Even Krillin had a few zenkais (although not as high as a traditional Saiyan Zenkai like Vegeta or Goku, or Gohan) but he went from barely over 10k to 75k while fighting Frieza. I don't think anything is specifically just for Saiyans, though it is more amplified with Saiyans I'll agree there.

There was never any limit on any character, and I wouldn't think there is a limit for Piccolo either. Also Namekians average much higher power levels than humans and possibly even the average Saiyan (if their average is 1000-1200).
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:59 pm

Honestly I'm starting to think Yamcha is a compliment to Gohan. I think he should be called Zack Ryder.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:50 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Honestly I'm starting to think Yamcha is a compliment to Gohan. I think he should be called Zack Ryder.
But even Zack Ryder got his big moment on the biggest show in the front of the biggest crowd ever. I think Heath Slater would be more appropriate.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:48 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Honestly I'm starting to think Yamcha is a compliment to Gohan. I think he should be called Zack Ryder.
But even Zack Ryder got his big moment on the biggest show in the front of the biggest crowd ever. I think Heath Slater would be more appropriate.
Which was then completely invalidated the next day, and then it was like it never happened. Gohan's equivalent is SSJ4 in heroes which had fans freak out, and then they remembered it overall means nothing to the series. Hence, Zack Ryder.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:04 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Which was then completely invalidated the next day, and then it was like it never happened. Gohan's equivalent is SSJ4 in heroes which had fans freak out, and then they remembered it overall means nothing to the series. Hence, Zack Ryder.
Fair point. You got me there.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:32 pm

I wonder if gohan is even going to play any kind of role in this FT arc

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:57 pm

Sodhi wrote:I wonder if gohan is even going to play any kind of role in this FT arc
It would be a HUGE tease for him to ask Piccolo to train him in his spare time and then never do anything. Not to say it wont happen but that would be historic levels of epic plot fail.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:09 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Sodhi wrote:I wonder if gohan is even going to play any kind of role in this FT arc
It would be a HUGE tease for him to ask Piccolo to train him in his spare time and then never do anything. Not to say it wont happen but that would be historic levels of epic plot fail.
It kinda feels forced in. It has no consequence on the tournament arc, either for Piccolo or for Gohan. I doubt it was in preparation for the Future Trunks arc since the episode aired in February, the same month Mr.Toriyama finished the story for this arc.

My theory is that the training bit is just the anime throwing a bone at Gohan and it's fans. Not to say Mr.Toriyama won't give Gohan some action time. If he does, it wasn't set up.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:16 pm

LightBing wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
It kinda feels forced in. It has no consequence on the tournament arc, either for Piccolo or for Gohan. I doubt it was in preparation for the Future Trunks arc since the episode aired in February, the same month Mr.Toriyama finished the story for this arc.

My theory is that the training bit is just the anime throwing a bone at Gohan and it's fans. Not to say Mr.Toriyama won't give Gohan some action time. If he does, it wasn't set up.
I dont think you can say it wasn't set up. You can set something up for a future arc as well. Toriyama seems to like leaving his intentions a bit vague as the series may or may not continue past a certain point.

Also I think its important to look at the motivations of Gohan. He wanted to become strong again to protect the people he loves. Fighting in a tournament that really isnt all that important probably wasn't priority #1.

I cant see a villain threatening Earth/His Family and Gohan being like "Sorry guys but I have a meeting...."

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:27 pm

The best thing I can think of is to have Gohan and Future Trunks, become fusion partners and form "Gohanks".

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:30 pm

The (re)development of Gohan is still there. I don't doubt that at any time, Mr.Toriyama may use him. I was talking particularly of the training scene, which is anime only. It alone serves no purpose, it's just continuing what happened in FnF. Which we already knew was in progress. Therefore it doesn't set up anything.
Gohan might show up being ten times as strong as before, we would believe it because of the FnF epiphany not because of that small training scene.
Zeru14 wrote:
The best thing I can think of is to have Gohan and Future Trunks, become fusion partners and form "Gohanks".
I hope not. It's would just dilute both characters. Rather have them as individuals, no matter how cool a hypothetical "Gohanks" might be.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:32 pm

LightBing wrote:The (re)development of Gohan is still there. I don't doubt that at any time, Mr.Toriyama may use him. I was talking particularly of the training scene, which is anime only. It alone serves no purpose, it's just continuing what happened in FnF. Which we already knew was in progress. Therefore it doesn't set up anything.
Gohan might show up being ten times as strong as before, we would believe it because of the FnF epiphany not because of that small training scene.
Zeru14 wrote:
I hope not. It's would just dilute both characters. Rather have them as individuals, no matter how cool a hypothetical "Gohanks" might be.
I didnt mean the scene itself. I meant more his desire and reason to begin training again. Sorry if I was confusing. I meant I believe his desire to train again is what sets up the future...even though it may not be a specific thought out idea at this point I do think Gohan will do something important at some point.

Though I did use the scene as my example which is my own fault. I was trying to imply him asking to train and finding a good reason for it could be important.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:51 pm

LightBing wrote:The (re)development of Gohan is still there. I don't doubt that at any time, Mr.Toriyama may use him. I was talking particularly of the training scene, which is anime only. It alone serves no purpose, it's just continuing what happened in FnF. Which we already knew was in progress. Therefore it doesn't set up anything.
Zeru14 wrote:
Gohanks already exists in games, except its with Future Gohan and Future Trunks. I don't think it would ruin either character, the bromance between Future Gohan and Future Trunks was really great, and the only thing about the Android Saga that I didn't like was that there was no significant interactions between Future Trunks and Present Gohan, Akira really dropped the ball on that one, another thing is that the Fusion Dance is a really useful technique, and it seems stupid that Kid Trunks and Goten are the only ones that use it, Gohan never had perfect fusion partner, but with Future Trunks around now he does, Future Trunks has no idea about fusion, so once he learns about, he would be up for it just like Kid Trunks. Plus and double team of Gohanks and Gotenks would just be badass.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:10 am

LightBing wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

I agree. I feel it was a totally inconsequential and made up thing. I highly doubt it's ever going to pay off. Like how Krillin had a similar idea with Goku, and it never paid off. I'm certain that he's basically just gonna be a filler/slice character at best, and a continued punching bag who never changes at worst. I don't expect much since there's no advertising for him. Even bit parts such as Battle of Gods and F still had him advertised. Now there's no advertising at all. So either it's a highly unlikely surprise they're keeping, or likely there's no fucks given about him, and he has no part to play if it's not doing the usual job.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:05 am

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:As for Piccolo, I don't see that happening. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought the ability of going beyond their own limits as a particularity of Saiyajins.

Krillin and the others who are humans have said a few times that they were at their supposed "limits" and easily went right through that wall and then some, a few times in the story. Even Krillin had a few zenkais (although not as high as a traditional Saiyan Zenkai like Vegeta or Goku, or Gohan) but he went from barely over 10k to 75k while fighting Frieza. I don't think anything is specifically just for Saiyans, though it is more amplified with Saiyans I'll agree there.

There was never any limit on any character, and I wouldn't think there is a limit for Piccolo either. Also Namekians average much higher power levels than humans and possibly even the average Saiyan (if their average is 1000-1200).

This. Saying someone can't become any stronger than they already are is misguided. Every time this has been proven wrong, as people train and people get stronger.

The last time we've gotten this is Vegeta saying he and Goku are close to their peaks and the 3 years of training won't do them much good. But they're still gonna become much stronger yet, just you watch. It does seem progress is quite slow at God tier though.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Eternal Super Saiyan, Saturnine,

Of course you're right, what I meant to say is it is particularly effective among saiyajins, my bad.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:52 pm

It seems Gohan, might get back into action again if the new ending is anything to go by, since he cant find his gi, it seems he will just wear his Great Saiyaman outfit.