Goku is a disaster as a father, according to Akira Toriyama

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Goku is a disaster as a father, according to Akira Toriyama

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:23 pm

super michael wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:47 am
Goku has never shown to be a bad husband or bad father in Dragon Ball.
Yes he has. We’ve seen him knock Gohan to the ground. He also doesn’t do anything on his half of the marriage except occasionally catch fish and collect firewood. He’s a terrible husband and father

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:33 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:27 pm I'm honestly bored of bad dads in fiction. Give me hot dads who do their best and aren't completely unprepared idiots more often.
Bring back this banger from two months, two days ago. The novelty of Gokuu being a bad dad kind of wears thin when you really only harp on those qualities. Within the context of Dragon Ball it's just dry and stale. Hell, even within the context of media in general it just feels like 'bad dads' are far too much a rule and thus are no longer counter-culture.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:40 pm

In response to the original topic and not whatever was going on after, yeah in my eyes he is a bad dad and Tori has every right to say so.

Though, it's different to everyone, as was stated by OP. Family and how you see a person or character is different for everyone. So...yeah I wouldn't want him to be my dad, but Gohan seems to like him so whatever.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:41 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:23 pm
super michael wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:47 am
Goku has never shown to be a bad husband or bad father in Dragon Ball.
Yes he has. We’ve seen him knock Gohan to the ground. He also doesn’t do anything on his half of the marriage except occasionally catch fish and collect firewood. He’s a terrible husband and father
If you are talking about when Goku knocked Gohan to the ground in Kami Lookout, while waiting for Vegeta and Future Trunks to finish their training that was filler. If we ignore filler then Goku did it so Gohan doesn't get killed since he was weak without training.

It was thanks to Goku that Gohan survived against Raditz, Nappa and Vegeta. Chi Chi is alive thanks to Goku defeating King Piccolo and the Saiyan. Heck without Goku Chi Chi would be dead in the Buu Saga still.

Catching food and getting wood is contributing. Hunting meat is better than buying food.

Edit Goku wanted to teach Gohan martial art and train him, which is good for the body. Basically pass his skills and knowledge to Gohan.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:48 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:00 am I'm pretty sure the entire purpose of showing Vegeta punch Future Trunks was to make him look pretty shitty as a father, so I'm not quite sure how this tired warrior rhetoric works.
He can't look shitty as a father to a child he's never known.

Warriors are violent. In the heat of battle, anything can happen. Trunks refused to get out of Vegeta's way, Vegeta removed him.

As for Goku up at the temple, it's another example of two warriors speaking their own language. Gohan refused to stop, Goku stopped him. It's not pretty or perfect, it's war.

These people aren't *only* fathers and sons, they are *also* warriors. That doesn't just go away because of familial relationships.

Is it wrong for a children's show to suggest that child abuse is okay? Certainly. Does that also mean that Goku and Vegeta should be condemned for their actions? I don't necessarily think so.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:53 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:48 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:00 am I'm pretty sure the entire purpose of showing Vegeta punch Future Trunks was to make him look pretty shitty as a father, so I'm not quite sure how this tired warrior rhetoric works.
He can't look shitty as a father to a child he's never known.

Warriors are violent. In the heat of battle, anything can happen. Trunks refused to get out of Vegeta's way, Vegeta removed him.

As for Goku up at the temple, it's another example of two warriors speaking their own language. Gohan refused to stop, Goku stopped him. It's not pretty or perfect, it's war.

These people aren't *only* fathers and sons, they are *also* warriors. That doesn't just go away because of familial relationships.

Is it wrong for a children's show to suggest that child abuse is okay? Certainly. Does that also mean that Goku and Vegeta should be condemned for their actions? I don't necessarily think so.
What about when Vegeta helped Cell out by letting him escape, which then Future Trunks was fighting Cell. Then because Cell was begging Vegeta, Vegeta decides to attack Future Trunks to prevent him from killing Cell.
He chose to help Cell over helping his son.

The scene of Goku hitting Gohan was filler, but none the less Goku did it to protect Gohan from getting killed since they needed to train. Vegeta attacking Future Trunks wasn't for protecting anyone.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:33 pm

Every scene of Vegeta attacking Trucks is never supposed to have been seen in a good light. And I assume no one in the audience saw it as such.

And whatever scene we have Goku acting against Gohan, can only be seen in a good light because we know Goku is the goodest good guy in the series. There's a good reason Goku did what he did.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:55 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:33 pm Every scene of Vegeta attacking Trucks is never supposed to have been seen in a good light. And I assume no one in the audience saw it as such.

And whatever scene we have Goku acting against Gohan, can only be seen in a good light because we know Goku is the goodest good guy in the series. There's a good reason Goku did what he did.
This is the scene that is being talked about
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uGBoezbU_uM

However Goku wanted to teach and train Gohan, that is being a good father. He likes spending time with Gohan.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:06 pm

If it's the scene in Kami's palace you fellas are talking about, when Gohan wanted to go fight Cell after he killed Piccolo... then that's stopping your kid from certain death.
A blow over death, if that's abusing your kid, then please give me an abusive parent so I can survive my own stupidity.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:10 pm

Goku punched Gohan to save his life in Filler, went down and risked his life to do what Gohan wanted to do and I'm sure he apologized considering Gohan still loves him.

Even as a 10 year old I knew Vegeta was full of shit for doing what he did to Trunks. In the same token Vegeta was raised bad by his father figure and from the Filler we saw King Vegeta wasn't father of the year until the end of his life.

Trunks is a grown man who pissed Vegeta off in their first meeting that he has never raised not seen and is stopping him from getting what he wants. No Vegeta doesn't see or have a father son relationship with him. Plus SS is said to be heightening the negative emotions at the time.

The whole point of the Cell saga is too show Vegeta took Trunks for granted then when Trunks dies he sees how wrong he was.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:46 pm

I do not care for the "bad dad"narrative. One that I think is both due to misinterpreting Toriyama's "anti-hero quote" and that DBZA has become such a part of the culture, that the show's version of Goku has become conflated with canon Goku. I think it's important to point out that throughout all of it, Gohan remains steadfastly respectful and awed by his own father. And while I know people like to do the Anime Goku vs Manga Goku, even in that case, he clearly cares about Gohan.

We're not supposed to think about Goku's constant absences as anything other than "well he's the hero." That's why I have a problem with how he's interpreted in Anime Super (and in some cases the manga). It feels less like the show is making any point about Goku, and more that no knew how to write Goku beyond "he's a stupid ditz who only cares about fighting. I think there's nuance in his character in DB(Z) that there really isn't in Super.

But we've been on this rodeo before countless times.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:21 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:10 pm Goku punched Gohan to save his life in Filler, went down and risked his life to do what Gohan wanted to do and I'm sure he apologized considering Gohan still loves him.

Even as a 10 year old I knew Vegeta was full of shit for doing what he did to Trunks. In the same token Vegeta was raised bad by his father figure and from the Filler we saw King Vegeta wasn't father of the year until the end of his life.

Trunks is a grown man who pissed Vegeta off in their first meeting that he has never raised not seen and is stopping him from getting what he wants. No Vegeta doesn't see or have a father son relationship with him. Plus SS is said to be heightening the negative emotions at the time.

The whole point of the Cell saga is too show Vegeta took Trunks for granted then when Trunks dies he sees how wrong he was.
Yup, same - the first time I saw that scene as a kid I was appalled by Vegeta doing that to his son just because he was annoying him. Goku punching Gohan isn't anywhere near the same territory - a little excessive, but he was restraining him from danger in the only way you can to a super powered kid who just flew away from you on a death mission and has no intent on being reasoned with - that I can buy the fighter rhetoric on. As a kid, that illustrated the severity of the situation and how firm Goku was on on protecting Gohan.

Vegeta punching his son in the stomach for the crime of talking too much, though? Nah.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:00 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:21 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:10 pm Goku punched Gohan to save his life in Filler, went down and risked his life to do what Gohan wanted to do and I'm sure he apologized considering Gohan still loves him.

Yup, same - the first time I saw that scene as a kid I was appalled by Vegeta doing that to his son just because he was annoying him. Goku punching Gohan isn't anywhere near the same territory - a little excessive, but he was restraining him from danger in the only way you can to a super powered kid who just flew away from you on a death mission and has no intent on being reasoned with - that I can buy the fighter rhetoric on. As a kid, that illustrated the severity of the situation and how firm Goku was on on protecting Gohan.

Vegeta punching his son in the stomach for the crime of talking too much, though? Nah.
I don't like that latter part either, as Future Trunks was standing in the way because he knew that Vegeta wouldn't be able to face the villain(s) one on one and succeed despite how much power he seemingly had then. Does he care to listen? Of course not. he's just like "F you, i don't give a damn what you have to say and also don't stand in my way boy!!!" and it wasn't until Perfect Cell shoots Trunks through the chest and nearly kills him that Vegeta finally changes his tune.

Goku had a valid reason for doing what he did with Gohan excessive though it may have been, while Vegeta full on physically assaults his future grown son (in which he himself is dead and gone) merely for trying to stop him from going and recklessly getting himself killed.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:33 am

No one who has the power to blow up the universe and move faster than the speed of light would ever be a "good" father. If a man was virtually omnipotent amongst common men and he told you he could reduce himself to the roles created by common mortals, he's lying. If you had Goku's powers, you'd be a cosmic overlord somewhere with a planet filled with offspring. Be honest...

I personally think Gohan's a terrible son. He's not a bad character, but he's an awful son and a pathetic hero. This isn't a bad thing though. It's actually pretty interesting and kinda funny.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:40 am

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:33 am I personally think Gohan's a terrible son. He's not a bad character, but he's an awful son and a pathetic hero. This isn't a bad thing though. It's actually pretty interesting and kinda funny.
Gohan literally fulfilled Chi-Chi’s wishes for him to be a scholar and started a family. Goku and Chi-Chi are most definitely pleased with his position. That is the opposite of a “bad son”.
A bad hero? Arguable, but irrelevant to his relationship with his parents.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:12 am

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:40 am
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:33 am I personally think Gohan's a terrible son. He's not a bad character, but he's an awful son and a pathetic hero. This isn't a bad thing though. It's actually pretty interesting and kinda funny.
Gohan literally fulfilled Chi-Chi’s wishes for him to be a scholar and started a family. Goku and Chi-Chi are most definitely pleased with his position. That is the opposite of a “bad son”.
Despite having greater potential than his father, he leaves his father by himself to put his life on the line to constantly fight battles he himself should be fighting. He's pathetic, not only that, he's exceptionally pathetic. If I had even an ounce of Gohan's potential, there's no way my dad and his sparing buddy would keep getting their heads caved in while I sat back and watched... And I'm supposed to be more "human" than they are.

He's only in good standing with his parents because his parents are crazy.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:08 am

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:12 am
Despite having greater potential than his father, he leaves his father by himself to put his life on the line to constantly fight battles he himself should be fighting. He's pathetic, not only that, he's exceptionally pathetic. If I had even an ounce of Gohan's potential, there's no way my dad and his sparing buddy would keep getting their heads caved in while I sat back and watched... And I'm supposed to be more "human" than they are.

What are you even talking about? That rubbish you described is merely a caricature that does not reflect reality.
1) Gohan’s “potential” has been irrelevant since the Buu saga when he peaked with his ultimate form. Especially considering Goku and Vegeta’s Godly forms, the power gap has grown very wide. You think he would have been helpful against Goku Black?
2) Gohan HAS joined the front lines in RoF, the ToP, and against Moro. In the other instances, he had to prioritize his work and family over resolving issues that wouldn’t have affected him.
3) Goku, as proven by several instances, is a maverick who prefers fighting for himself. Unless Gohan recognizes that Goku is in mortal danger, he would let him have his fun.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:53 am

What are you even talking about? Do you mean when he was a FUCKING CHILD and was definitely weaker than his dad regardless of any potential? Including a one point when his dad ordered for him to leave. Or do you mean when he was killed alongside Goten and Trunks and Piccolo while unconscious when the earth was destroyed by Majin Boo? And by the time he came back he had no way of getting to the Kaioshin planet so he did his part by trying to get people to raise their hands for the Genki Dama?

Surely you don’t mean Dragon Ball Super where his dad can harness God Ki and he is significantly weaker than he by the end of the Boo conflict in Z?

I’ve seen a lot of bad takes on this forum but this one is pretty high up.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:35 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:53 am

What are you even talking about? Do you mean when he was a FUCKING CHILD and was definitely weaker than his dad regardless of any potential? Including a one point when his dad ordered for him to leave. Or do you mean when he was killed alongside Goten and Trunks and Piccolo while unconscious when the earth was destroyed by Majin Boo? And by the time he came back he had no way of getting to the Kaioshin planet so he did his part by trying to get people to raise their hands for the Genki Dama?

Surely you don’t mean Dragon Ball Super where his dad can harness God Ki and he is significantly weaker than he by the end of the Boo conflict in Z?

I’ve seen a lot of bad takes on this forum but this one is pretty high up.
Gohan refuse to train with Goku, Vegeta, Whis and Beerus. He doesn't want to use the ROSAT or do the SSG Ritual to experience God Ki to make it easier to learn God Ki.

He only relies on Piccolo for training and no one else.

Goku, Gohan and Videl are great parents. Bulma is a good parent also.
Chi Chi is a awful parent and awful wife.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:43 am

super michael wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:35 am

Gohan refuse to train with Goku, Vegeta, Whis and Beerus. He doesn't want to use the ROSAT or do the SSG Ritual to experience God Ki to make it easier to learn God Ki.
This is relevant to the argument Gohan is a bad son because……….