Naruto or Bleach, which resembles Dragon Ball more?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:21 pm

I find Naruto's manga to be a tad bit of an eyesore. The anime takes the animation to a much higher level.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:25 pm

B wrote:I find Naruto's manga to be a tad bit of an eyesore. The anime takes the animation to a much higher level.
Really, but I bet you love that modern-day renaissance masterpiece Oda pumps out every week.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:27 pm

B wrote:I find Naruto's manga to be a tad bit of an eyesore. The anime takes the animation to a much higher level.
I haven't really watched much of Shippuuden at all. (I can count the episodes I've seen on both hands, counting hour-long specials) But from what I've seen, it's the same way, but not as much. Don't get me wrong, the artwork is great. It's animation that I'm worried about. Sure, they have their great episodes, but then you get some crappy ones, too. I feel the filler really hurt the animation in the series. I'll start watching Shippuden when the dub gets over here...that is, if CN doens't stop delaying the show to have yet ANOTHER showing of Naruto Movie 3. (The worst one of them all... >.< I swear, Toonami's death was the death of all CN action...except Batman:BATB, I love that show.)[/b]
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Really, but I bet you love that modern-day renaissance masterpiece Oda pumps out every week.
There's not really any need for sarcastic attacks like that. At least you can say Oda's art is unique enough so that you know it won't be easy for any manga-ka or artist to copy. It strays far from the stereotypical "anime" style that you usually see. (I'm lookin' at you, Lucky Star, Clannad, and School Rumble)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
C'mon, man... that's such a bullshit response. You know better than that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:36 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
I stopped watching One Piece slightly into the Baroque Works arc from 4Kids, because that's when I discovered the cuts and such. Originally, I didn't like OP because of it's art, but after giving it a fair shot, it gets better and the story more than makes up for it.

Yes, the art is the worst thing about OP. But I feel the characters carry it with their interesting backgrounds and their chase for their dreams. It grew on me.

But, in relation to your comparison to Naruto, I guess I'd say Naruto's tops it, if only for the fact women in Naruto aren't ridiculously lanky. Despite that, I wouldn't say one is inherently better than the other. Kishimoto goes for a slightly realistic design, while Oda just wants things looking as crazy and odd as possible, most likely as an homage to early Dragon Ball.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Big Momma wrote:...There's not really any need for sarcastic attacks like that. At least you can say Oda's art is unique enough so that you know it won't be easy for any manga-ka or artist to copy. It strays far from the stereotypical "anime" style that you usually see. (I'm lookin' at you, Lucky Star, Clannad, and School Rumble)
That what makes that style enjoyable and more realistic, Oda’s work is too cartoony. Even Toriyama developed a more realistic style around late Cell and Buu Sagas.
VegettoEX wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
C'mon, man... that's such a bullshit response. You know better than that.
My bad.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:40 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Darn straight I do. I like me some manga that captures its sense of adventure and fun not just literally, but visually, as well. The goofy art style does a great job of that, and it wouldn't be as great and interesting a manga without it. :)
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 pm

From day one I always felt Naruto to be a much more boring version of Dragonball Z. hero in a blue and orange jumpsuit with a transformation with the same color scheme as kaioken. Whos rival is a spiky haired blue and white dressed emo kid who stives to live up to the family name...There are more filler episodes though...BELIEVE IT!
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:02 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Darn straight I do. I like me some manga that captures its sense of adventure and fun not just literally, but visually, as well. The goofy art style does a great job of that, and it wouldn't be as great and interesting a manga without it. :)

Perhaps this will function as a better response than the one that I presented earlier. :)

Masashi Kishimoto art reflects a more realistic approach to his characters. It is reminiscent of the artist of the early 19th century that rejected the subjective approach to drawing. Kishimoto attempts to illustrate characters that imitate life that is an accurate depiction of the human while maintaining the uniqueness that is required for a work of fiction. Although the sole purpose of art is to not only convey an idea or in this instance a narrative the artist also wants to bring to the medium his own distinctive style yet remain true to those things that their viewers can relate.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have Eiichirō Oda whose work is evocative of the post-impressionists who attempted to make their art solely subjective in nature and present to their addressees the raw and un-realistic essence of an object or person. This is evident in his lack of presenting any images that correspond with reality and nature. While this is a perfectly acceptable means of expressing their artistic ability, the human response to the work will be less acceptable when the audience have to undergo strenuous use of their mind’s eye.
Last edited by Saiyan-Professor on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:02 pm

My issues with the story aside am I the only one who finds the manga way too cluttered with motion lines? I can hardly tell what's going on in the battles.
(However I do think the anime looks amazing, I'll give it that.)
I'm currently trying to crank my way through Naruto again and the animation really shows off what we can do nowadays.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:22 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:

My issues with the story aside am I the only one who finds the manga way too cluttered with motion lines? I can hardly tell what's going on in the battles.
(However I do think the anime looks amazing, I'll give it that.)
I'm currently trying to crank my way through Naruto again and the animation really shows off what we can do nowadays.
You're not the only one who's had that kind of problem. Usually when I read a manga, I like to follow the panels and movements of the characters in a way that simulates natural movement in my mind. (Call it an animator's/storyboarder's approach? Even if I'm only still studying to be one... ) And I recall several times, at least, when I tried to follow the action in Naruto in that fashion and had a hard time doing so because I couldn't figure out in just what freaking direction the characters were actually moving. :lol:

There's something to be said for keeping your panels mostly clean...
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Joey Batz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Joey Batz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:23 am

Chuquita wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
But I thought Bleach is popular right now?

It's on practically every cover of Viz's Shounen Jump that Naruto isn't on. And look how much closer Viz's Bleach has caught up to its counterpart in Japan compared with poor One Piece which is still trapped in "once every four months" land?
Remember that Bleach was originally done in GN form only in the States, even before the anime started in Japan. That's why some folk say they moved it to the magazine so they wouldn't catch up so fast.

I knew it didn't originally start out in Viz's Shounen Jump (used to buy the magazine) but I didn't know it started there before the anime. :shock:

I wish they'd take One Piece out of the magazine and let it catch up at least a little more. Viz's One Piece is more than 30 volumes behind Japan whereas Naruto's practically caught up (or will be come this spring). :(

I'm sorry but as an OP fan, that 3-volumes-a-month thing that Naruto's got going on this spring felt like Viz punishing me for preferring adventurous pirates to angsty tween ninjas. TT_TT

Viz, take One Piece out of your Shounen Jump, PLEASE!
How is the Viz version of the One Piece manga? I've been reading fanslations off OneManga.com and am enjoying OP immensely. I really would like to buy the Viz manga, but I'm worried that I'm going to get shoddy translations like the ones on OneManga. The main character's name is now Monkey D. Rufi. Apparently, the next King of the Pirates is a date rape drug. He goes from using the Gomu Gomu Pistol (close enough to Gum Gum Pistol) to the Rubber Bullet Punch. I'm getting constant name inconsistencies (Clahador to Kurahadol, Baratie to Honor to Honor Sef, Jin to Ging, Don Krieg to Don Creek), lines that don't make sense in written or spoken English, spelling and grammar errors left and right, a chapter with the pages out of order, and even dialogue bubbles with no text in them. Is the Viz translation this difficult to read, or is it as flawless a read as their Dragon Ball manga (I know a lot of the stuff that plague the OneManga fan translation wouldn't plague the Viz version, but I remember Viz's Yu Yu Hakusho manga being a really tough read for me too, and I would rather not waste my money)? I'm tired of reading this online.

I've seen people post scans of Viz Dragon Ball, so I guess if someone wants to post a couple of images of Viz One Piece, that would be great. I really want to see if it's worth buying. By the way, I would go to my local bookstore and just look, except that there is no local bookstore. Apparently, someone has deemed my entire neighborhood illiterate. That's why I'm asking for the scans. I want to see if it has Strawhat Luffy using the Gum Gum Bazooka (or at least the Gomu Gomu Bazooka) or Date Rape Rufi using the Rubber Bullet Punch.

Is the manga still being written, or did it end? I know there's over 500 chapters so far. I heard it's even longer than Dragon Ball.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:27 am

One Piece aint ending for a good while. Japan loves it, and Oda knows how to drag an arc out like Betty White's tits.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:34 am

B wrote:One Piece aint ending for a good while. Japan loves it, and Oda knows how to drag an arc out like Betty White's tits.
Which is why I'm only buying the anime.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:34 am

And no company would ever get away with doing the kind of horrendous work you'll find in those scanslations. I don't follow Viz' OP release (Carlsen's Danish translations are far far ahead of them), but I did flip through a volume at Barnes and Noble once, and it seemed decent enough.
Watch out for 4Kids-dubism, though. (though i'm not sure if it goes further than the use of the name "Zolo")
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:38 am

Joey Batz wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
Super Sonic wrote: Remember that Bleach was originally done in GN form only in the States, even before the anime started in Japan. That's why some folk say they moved it to the magazine so they wouldn't catch up so fast.

I knew it didn't originally start out in Viz's Shounen Jump (used to buy the magazine) but I didn't know it started there before the anime. :shock:

I wish they'd take One Piece out of the magazine and let it catch up at least a little more. Viz's One Piece is more than 30 volumes behind Japan whereas Naruto's practically caught up (or will be come this spring). :(

I'm sorry but as an OP fan, that 3-volumes-a-month thing that Naruto's got going on this spring felt like Viz punishing me for preferring adventurous pirates to angsty tween ninjas. TT_TT

Viz, take One Piece out of your Shounen Jump, PLEASE!
How is the Viz version of the One Piece manga? I've been reading fanslations off OneManga.com and am enjoying OP immensely. I really would like to buy the Viz manga, but I'm worried that I'm going to get shoddy translations like the ones on OneManga. The main character's name is now Monkey D. Rufi. Apparently, the next King of the Pirates is a date rape drug. He goes from using the Gomu Gomu Pistol (close enough to Gum Gum Pistol) to the Rubber Bullet Punch. I'm getting constant name inconsistencies (Clahador to Kurahadol, Baratie to Honor to Honor Sef, Jin to Ging, Don Krieg to Don Creek), lines that don't make sense in written or spoken English, spelling and grammar errors left and right, a chapter with the pages out of order, and even dialogue bubbles with no text in them. Is the Viz translation this difficult to read, or is it as flawless a read as their Dragon Ball manga (I know a lot of the stuff that plague the OneManga fan translation wouldn't plague the Viz version, but I remember Viz's Yu Yu Hakusho manga being a really tough read for me too, and I would rather not waste my money)? I'm tired of reading this online.

I've seen people post scans of Viz Dragon Ball, so I guess if someone wants to post a couple of images of Viz One Piece, that would be great. I really want to see if it's worth buying. By the way, I would go to my local bookstore and just look, except that there is no local bookstore. Apparently, someone has deemed my entire neighborhood illiterate. That's why I'm asking for the scans. I want to see if it has Strawhat Luffy using the Gum Gum Bazooka (or at least the Gomu Gomu Bazooka) or Date Rape Rufi using the Rubber Bullet Punch.

Is the manga still being written, or did it end? I know there's over 500 chapters so far. I heard it's even longer than Dragon Ball.

According to Mr. Oda, we're just about to the halfway point for One Piece.
The Strawhats haven't even gotten to the new world yet, meaning the series has the potential to last for another ten years. :shock:

The only thing that really irritates me about Viz's translation is they still use "Zolo" instead of "Zoro". At least as of volume 20 they still use Zolo. If you find some really old releases of early volumes, you'll find Zoro there.

There's a lot of "darns" and pseudo-curse phrases. The harshest they get is Sanji using the word "crap". It's still Gum Gum Bazooka though. Some of the fruits are renamed, and okama is now "oh come my way".

Things actually get better the further along into the translation. Initial chapters are plagued with stereotypical "pirate talk" that wasn't in the actual Japanese dialogue. (And makes me cringe when I read it.)

I wanna say its a little bit below Funi's dialogue work on the anime, but it's not awful-horrendous like 4Kids' dub.

I guess I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I still buy the volumes and it still gets me to laugh so I think its decent enough. They could do much better, but they could do worse too.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:42 am

Zolo's aside, I find the Viz translation to be pretty good. I haven't had any problems with it, though some hardcore OP fans might tell you otherwise. Is it better than the OneManga stuff? Definitely, there's hardly any inconsistencies. The problem with OneManga stuff is the different scanlation groups you have handling the series, rather than with Naruto where you have one scanlation group keeping a rather firm grip with releasing the scans as quickly as possible.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:45 am

I forget, why is Zolo bad? It just sounds stupid, or it's not an accurate translation of the name?

Aside from 4Kids relations.

Joey Batz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Joey Batz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:45 am

Adamant wrote:And no company would ever get away with doing the kind of horrendous work you'll find in those scanslations. I don't follow Viz' OP release (Carlsen's Danish translations are far far ahead of them), but I did flip through a volume at Barnes and Noble once, and it seemed decent enough.
Watch out for 4Kids-dubism, though. (though i'm not sure if it goes further than the use of the name "Zolo")
That sort of thing is OK, to a point at least. When I read Dragon Ball, I read "Kuririn" as "Krillin", "Kaiosama" as "King Kai", and "Genki Dama" as "Spirit Bomb". But there is a point where it becomes too annoying to deal with (I have just as much a desire to keep things as faithful to the Japanese version as anyone else, but that doesn't mean I want half the damn manga to be in Japanese). Especially when the sentences are translated so "faithfully" that it doesn't make sense to English speakers, jokes, puns, and pop references are left in a manner that no English reader can possible understand (compare the scene of Buggy accusing his henchman of making fun of his nose in the OneManga fanslation versus the Funimation dub), and F-bombs and A-holes are all over the place to the point where it really takes you out of the story. That's why I was so put off by OneManga's Flame of Recca. I just lost interest in it, and I really don't want that to happen here.

Should I make another thread about this? It really seems to be off topic at this point. I wouldn't want to hijack it.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:01 am

B wrote:I forget, why is Zolo bad? It just sounds stupid, or it's not an accurate translation of the name?

Aside from 4Kids relations.
There was a potential lawsuit over the name “Zoro”.