Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Konja7 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:36 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:It literally says in the trailer that Bardock, Broly, and Goku are born around the same time. 5 year gap is NOT around the same time.
I don't exactly remember, is it mentioned on the manga that there's a 5 year gap between Goku and Vegeta?

I mean Goku doesn't remember about his saiyan heritage, but that could be because the lost of his memory

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:38 pm

ricky84 wrote:It would be a missed opportunity if they don't show Raditz, Nappa (with hair), Cooler, Tarble, Bardock's old crew and Vegeta's mother.
Chuquita wrote:My hope for them to show Vegeta's mom is slim now that I've seen the throne room only has one chair.

I think chances still exist for Bardock's rebellion though.
PFM18 wrote:they better fix the Bardock rebellion thing. That would fuck everything up
precita wrote:Sometimes scenes in trailers aren't the same in the final movie, that's my only hope for the lack of Bardock and the Freeza soldiers in space.

Oh god they can't ruin that, it's going to be horrible!
Tbh, i would look past all the retcons, plot holes, and poor writing DBMinus has if we still got Bardock in his classic armor and headband facing off against Freeza for the fate of Planet Vegeta. Its Bardock’s most iconic moment and is kinda the most iconic part of Goku’s origins. Its been used in every db video game cutscene.

And it was “canon” because it was in the manga.

Erasing that event from existence would be the worst change Toriyama has EVER made.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:38 pm

Konja7 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:It literally says in the trailer that Bardock, Broly, and Goku are born around the same time. 5 year gap is NOT around the same time.
I don't exactly remember, is it mentioned on the manga that there's a 5 year gap between Goku and Vegeta?

I mean Goku doesn't remember about his saiyan heritage, but that could be because the lost of his memory
Apparently the ages were stated in Daizenshuu 7. Bottomline, this movie has retconned it so that they’re all about the same age.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:46 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Konja7 wrote:

Apparently the ages were stated in Daizenshuu 7. Bottomline, this movie has retconned it so that they’re all about the same age.
To be fair, the original manga never implied an age difference. Only reason we believe there's a difference is because of supplementary material and the episode of bardock

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:47 pm

I'm suspecting we may be getting a young and inexperienced Freeza running the planet trading empire, nuking planets for shits and giggles and confronting Beerus in the "backstory" area of the movie.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:53 pm

Chuquita wrote:My hope for them to show Vegeta's mom is slim now that I've seen the throne room only has one chair.

. .I mean do they have to sit in the same chair? Maybe she doesnt want a throne lol. But that is interesting. Will we see Vegeta's mother?

I sure as hell hope they fix that scene in the actual movie. This is probably the most irritated I have been with modern Dragon Ball.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Seeing yellow SS at the end of the trailer almost made me puke. What a disgusting form.
Are you craving for attention? Original SSJ is the most iconic transformation of the franchise, if you want to play the different one, stating you prefer the recolors, that's fine. Just don't say asinities.
Last edited by Noah on Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Oracle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oracle » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:55 pm

I guess the plot will go by the story of Vegeta, being sent on a mission. Years later, Broly also being sent on a dead mission and Paragus followed him. Close to it Goku's story and the rest, Bardock's final efforts to kill Freeza. Then, more flashbacks of Freeza calling his minions after being revived and meeting Broly. Probably fighting him, discovering he is too strong and brainwashing him so he and Paragus get their revenge on the Royal family. Then, comes the actual timeline where the battle starts and finishes with Broly staying so he can figths Beerus (the mastermind of planet Vegita's destruction). In the next arc Broly falls sleep for ToP 2 and will not wake up in two months.

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:00 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Konja7 wrote:

I actually find that less irritating than the the Minus stuff that turns Bardock into Jor-El. I'm not a huge canon junkie but if they're going to be flagrantly inconsistent then at least be a little more creative and make the changes worth something in the long run.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:01 pm

Noah wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Seeing yellow SS at the end of the trailer almost made me puke. What a disgusting form.
Are you craving for attention? Original SSJ is the most iconic transformation of the franchise, if you want to play the different one, stating you prefer the recolors, that's fine. Just don't say asinities.
They're more than just recolors dude. Maybe aesthetically, but they sure as hell mean more than a different color.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:08 pm

PFM18 wrote:

. .I mean do they have to sit in the same chair? Maybe she doesnt want a throne lol. But that is interesting. Will we see Vegeta's mother?

I sure as hell hope they fix that scene in the actual movie. This is probably the most irritated I have been with modern Dragon Ball.
Bah! "King" Vegeta kneels by the throne while his Queen of All uses him as a footrest as she sits in the throne.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:12 pm

TonyTheTiger wrote:I'm not a huge canon junkie but if they're going to be flagrantly inconsistent then at least be a little more creative and make the changes worth something in the long run.
They aren't being inconsistent, the Burdock special isn't the real story.

dragon boss z
I Live Here

Post by dragon boss z » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:12 pm

ricky84 wrote:It would be a missed opportunity if they don't show Raditz, Nappa (with hair), Cooler, Tarble, Bardock's old crew and Vegeta's mother.
All of those are possible except Cooler, unless they decide to make him canon.
Toxin45 wrote:Frieza's colors are based on his manga appearance and happy to see the original Frieza force Frieza really needs to get replacements for dodoria,zarbon,and the ginyu force Frieza needs some more better and competent henchmen to be worthy successors.
It's not just the color, his actual body design is different. His white plating on his upper body and his purple orbs on his shoulder are gone. It's possibly he modified his form in the future though.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:15 pm

snpaa wrote: I don't disagree that he is unstable because his power and mind control , but we are talking about his hatred for goku,he literally got stabbed as goku was crying in the background, it can reasonably be ascertained that he experienced some form ptsd from nearly being killed at this moment. you choose not to see it because you have already been influenced by others with the popular argument that "Brolly hates goku because he cried" which is a simplification and misrepresentation of events.

We all know that goku is brolly's trigger and I gave you the in story reason , you can choose to ignore that and continue with the popular belief of what his motivations were , it's okay.
Guy/girl you're blatantly insulting me while disregarding my opinion. That's not cool, I'll give you one last chance and try to clarify what I said further.

The association that you're making isn't developed in the movie. In fact since Goku crying perturbs Broly even before the attempted the murder, the movie clearly didn't meant that Broly had pstd just that he's a freaking lunatic.
There's no simplifying here, the movie is simple and the little it details makes it obvious.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:20 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
TonyTheTiger wrote:I'm not a huge canon junkie but if they're going to be flagrantly inconsistent then at least be a little more creative and make the changes worth something in the long run.
Exactly.

I know the Bardock Special is particularly popular, but other than character designs, Toriyama had nothing to do with it like the other Specials and Films.

But something that always struck as odd from the special, despite information to the contrary, was that Bardock was supposed to be someone that cared about the existence of his fellow Saiyans (and his compassion ended there). Whereas in the Special, he showed care for his teammates (okay, inline with him), kind of to his race (still there), but indifferent to Goku (huh?).

And I'm not going to freak out about Minus content being included, partly because I don't hate it, but also because we haven't seen the actual film yet to know how well its done.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:24 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:
Exactly.

I know the Bardock Special is particularly popular, but other than character designs, Toriyama had nothing to do with it like the other Specials and Films.

But something that always struck as odd from the special, despite information to the contrary, was that Bardock was supposed to be someone that cared about the existence of his fellow Saiyans (and his compassion ended there). Whereas in the Special, he showed care for his teammates (okay, inline with him), kind of to his race (still there), but indifferent to Goku (huh?).

And I'm not going to freak out about Minus content being included, partly because I don't hate it, but also because we haven't seen the actual film yet to know how well its done.
Why does everyone forget that the scenes of Bardock’s rebellion where he takes on the Freeza army as in the manga?

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:28 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:
alakazam^ wrote: They aren't being inconsistent, the Burdock special isn't the real story.
Exactly.

Why does everyone forget that the scenes of Bardock’s rebellion where he takes on the Freeza army as in the manga?
Why does everyone forget that Toriyama retcons his work almost constantly anyway? Its not like a brief scene made all that much difference anyway in the way the story unfolded.
Bardock still didn't trust Freeza.
Goku still left the planet before it went boom.
Bardock on most of the other Saiyans were still on the planet when Freeza blew it up.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Inb4 Broly gets redeemed and stays alive but goes off into space on his own like many people predict just for Toriyama to forget hie existed and he never shows up ever again.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:31 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Inb4 Broly gets redeemed and stays alive but goes off into space on his own like many people predict just for Toriyama to forget hie existed and he never shows up ever again.
Better than him dying and never thought of him again.
Feels over Reals.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:31 pm

I have for finally decided to write down and post my thoughts on the new trailer that leaked before NYCC. I first have to say that the story board and direction is amazing in this trailer. The way the characters interact with the environment looks great. The CG is fine to me and I hope it could be better by time the film is released. Finally, Dragon Ball Minus. I don't hate it when I first read it. But, now that it will animated, I hope more context and information is added to the story. The reveal has made many fans angry and understand why they feel that way. I'm going with the wait and see method for this story point. Also, I don't think that they are making Vegeta the same age as Goku. I think that the shot of Baby Vegeta happens before Goku and Broly were born.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.