Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote: Exactly.

I know the Bardock Special is particularly popular, but other than character designs, Toriyama had nothing to do with it like the other Specials and Films.

But something that always struck as odd from the special, despite information to the contrary, was that Bardock was supposed to be someone that cared about the existence of his fellow Saiyans (and his compassion ended there). Whereas in the Special, he showed care for his teammates (okay, inline with him), kind of to his race (still there), but indifferent to Goku (huh?).

And I'm not going to freak out about Minus content being included, partly because I don't hate it, but also because we haven't seen the actual film yet to know how well its done.
Why does everyone forget that the scenes of Bardock’s rebellion where he takes on the Freeza army as in the manga?
Why does everyone forget that Toriyama retcons his work almost constantly anyway? Its not like a brief scene made all that much difference anyway in the way the story unfolded.
Bardock still didn't trust Freeza.
Goku still left the planet before it went boom.
Bardock on most of the other Saiyans were still on the planet when Freeza blew it up.
Not the point. You and Al claimed that they aren’t being inconsistent. All i did was debunk your claim or his claim that you agreed with. While it doesn’t have as much of an impact on the plot, the Bardock scene is the most well known scene for him ever. And it kinda defines his character.

And it makes it even worse that the DBM Bardock is suspicious of Freeza enough to send his son off planet yet, it seems as if he still doesn’t rebel. We don’t know if he tries to warn others like the King but from what we do know, it seems as if he just sits on his suspicion and lets things play out.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:33 pm

New King Vegeta creeps me the fuck out.

Can anyone make out whose riding with Bardock here?

When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:35 pm

RedHeat wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Inb4 Broly gets redeemed and stays alive but goes off into space on his own like many people predict just for Toriyama to forget hie existed and he never shows up ever again.
Better than him dying and never thought of him again.
I kinda disagree. At least with him being dead you know what happens and it feels more natural to never see him again. As a person who never likes stuff being left open and unexplained, having Broly survive only for him to never be mentioned again is much worse because it would be annoying having all these universe or multiverse threats happening and Broly never coming to fight for some reason. And it would just feel unnatural. We’d know of this very powerful saiyan but we never know what happens to him
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:36 pm

Has something come out? Have I missed a trailer or something?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Seeing yellow SS at the end of the trailer almost made me puke. What a disgusting form.
Are you kidding? It looked awesome. Breath of fresh air over all the blue that threw up over DBS

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:41 pm

Kanassa wrote:New King Vegeta creeps me the fuck out.

Can anyone make out whose riding with Bardock here?

The guy from DBMinus

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:43 pm

Bullza wrote:Has something come out? Have I missed a trailer or something?
Toei uploaded the trailer the day before they intended it to go live, but neglected to set the video to private.

Here you go! https://mobile.twitter.com/Terez27/stat ... 0188707840
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Bullza wrote:Has something come out? Have I missed a trailer or something?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypqtqh5GfM4
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 pm

Chuquita wrote:Toei uploaded the trailer the day before they intended it to go live, but neglected to set the video to private.

Here you go! https://mobile.twitter.com/Terez27/stat ... 0188707840
Oh thanks for that, that was pretty careless of them.

It's another good trailer I guess for an anime movie at least. The animation is a bit weird looking, not sure why Frieza is pink. At least this one looks like it's going to have a story this time around.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:50 pm

personally I feel that it was more forced that all saiyans are evil idiots if we have already touched the point that these can change and that there are good saiyans although these are few.
Yes, I like the bardock movie more just for the epic of the story but also has stupid things like psychic powers and send newborn babies to conquer planets that probably would die of hunger without a care.
I feel that gine is fine .. goku had to inherit the goodness of someone else
with bardock depends on it is done with the supposed to be bellicose but with a love for his family which is not necessarily bad and in a way is more significant than he only cares about his son when he knows that he will fulfill his revenge.
I wish only ask to include the final battle of bardock or in any case just do not mention it to give me an idea that if it happened.

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:02 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Not the point. You and Al claimed that they aren’t being inconsistent. All i did was debunk your claim or his claim that you agreed with. While it doesn’t have as much of an impact on the plot, the Bardock scene is the most well known scene for him ever. And it kinda defines his character.

And it makes it even worse that the DBM Bardock is suspicious of Freeza enough to send his son off planet yet, it seems as if he still doesn’t rebel. We don’t know if he tries to warn others like the King but from what we do know, it seems as if he just sits on his suspicion and lets things play out.
The scene of Bardock rebelling agaisnt Freeza still can happen. Minus doesn't contradict that scene at all. In fact, Bardock is suspicious about Freeza in Minus, so this could lead to his rebellion.

The movie Broly doesn't need to show that Bardock rebels against Freeza either, but his rebellion still can happen.

It may bother you that they do not show that scene in Minus, but that does not mean a retcon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:04 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:If you mean his badass rebellion, its gone
For the sake of this movie, it better not be.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

potat_lasaro

Post by potat_lasaro » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Anyone else hoping they show Nappa surviving the destruction of Planet Vegeta? We know that Vegeta, Broly and Goku are all off planet when it's destroyed and if we assume Raditz is the same as in DB Minus he'll be with Vegeta. That just leaves Nappa as my only question as to how he survives.

It's been a while since I read Minus so if they showed it there, sorry for asking.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:05 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Why does everyone forget that the scenes of Bardock’s rebellion where he takes on the Freeza army as in the manga?
AnimeNation101 wrote:Not the point. You and Al claimed that they aren’t being inconsistent. All i did was debunk your claim or his claim that you agreed with. While it doesn’t have as much of an impact on the plot, the Bardock scene is the most well known scene for him ever. And it kinda defines his character.
I didn't forget about that but a couple of panels don't make a full story. Burdock opposing Freeza and being blown up can still have happened.

You're letting your feelings fool you. Back then, there was no Burdock story in the manga so, obviously, the special defined how the character "was". But now (and in Minus), the creator of the story actually showed us what actually happened. Whether you liked the special or not, there's no denying the fact that Toriyama's version is what counts since he was the one to create Dragon Ball. When people bash Minus because of Burdock or "plotholes", they're actually saying they can't handle change because of their feelings. But facts don't care about feelings, so... it'd be better for everyone to understand the context and forget about the special.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 pm

If I got a dollar for every time I've seen the word "retcon" been thrown around in the past 12 hours, I think I'd be a fucking millionaire. I hate it almost as much as the word "canon".

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:08 pm

by the way I would say that vegeta is still greater than goku
only that in the times in which they focus are different

and I think I'll hate the voice of gine
Last edited by Tai Lung on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:If I got a dollar for every time I've seen the word "retcon" been thrown around in the past 12 hours, I think I'd be a fucking millionaire. I hate it almost as much as the word "canon".
Be glad you don't follow DC Comics then.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Konja7 wrote:

The scene of Bardock rebelling agaisnt Freeza still can happen. Minus doesn't contradict that scene at all. In fact, Bardock is suspicious about Freeza in Minus, so this could lead to his rebellion.

The movie Broly doesn't need to show that Bardock rebels against Freeza either, but his rebellion still can happen.

It may bother you that they do not show that scene in Minus, but that does not mean a retcon.
You make no sense. If the movie shows Freeza destroy the Planet with Bardock NOWHERE TO BE SEEN then how can the rebellion have still happened?! And we know the movie shows Freeza destroying the Planet because its in the TRAILER!

And I’ve already explained that from what we’ve seen in the trailer, they seemed to have erased the rebellion.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:If I got a dollar for every time I've seen the word "retcon" been thrown around in the past 12 hours, I think I'd be a fucking millionaire. I hate it almost as much as the word "canon".
Be glad you don't follow DC Comics then.
Or marvel comics.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:19 pm

ricky84 wrote:
Especially since U7 saiyans aren't supposed to have family feelings at all (with royal saiyans like Vegeta being the exceptions) according to Toriyama himself:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... -super-qa/

What the hell is he thinking with all these pointless retcons? The 90s Bardock special was fine as it is, there's no to change Bardock's story and take away his badass last stand against Freeza. Gine is an alright character but DB Minus is garbage.
Honestly, the only reason why I could see DB Minus being ever made so was that it could sell Jaco volumes better. Cause people will eat anything with the DB brand up. Jaco isn't even that good of a story imo and Goku is almost irrelevant to it, literally just cameos.
sintzu wrote:
The backstory is going to be 20-30 minutes long so hopefully they make up for it somehow. I don't know why Goku's origin couldn't be left alone.
Is it? If so then animating just a few panels, hopefully it won't take up more than 5 minutes of entire screentime.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!